Gp vs USA mx lifestyle

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2018 1:19 PM

Is anyone else curious besides me why more US riders don’t go over to do the GP’s. I know it’s prob their dream to win an American supercross and motocross title. But it just seems like they have more of a work/ life balance. You get to travel the world and get paid to do it. I’m sure their salaries are comparable to the us riders. Plenty of breaks in the schedule not as grueling. The Factory ktm is making and eating pizzas the night before the their qualifying race. I don’t see a majority of our racers doing stuff like that the night before a race.

|

7/20/2018 1:25 PM

Because $$$

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/20/2018 1:31 PM

I agree with the OP, the MXGP schedule and lifestyle is way more attractive. But there are a few factors here, I do believe that there are fewer higher paying rides in Europe. Also, most Americans like the convenience of knowing the culture, food, scene, etc versus being put out of their comfort zone, like they would be if they got up and left the AMA/SX scene.

|

7/20/2018 1:47 PM

Really hard to get a decent ride right now in the GP's. Top teams pay really good for sure, but a B or C level team is a different story since there is no prize money at all as there is in the US. And I guess the transition is harder for an American to go to Europe, than vice versa. Personally, I'd love to see more American riders in the GP's for sure, but teams understandably seem to value European riders more. Barcia tried to get a ride for 2018 in the GP's, but I guess the pay wasn't right for him over here. At least we have Covington, Sanayei and that one other kid as well over here for now.

|

7/20/2018 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 2:13 PM

Back in the day, of 3 classes, we got loads of US guys coming here , Moore, Healey, Dymond, Hughes, Button , Manneh, Parker , Schmit .. they all did well and got on good teams. Now with the 250 age rule in MX2 , anyone who wants to come has to take a chance, unless they are a name , in which case they have to go 450
. IMO RV coming for a year piqued interest, and if that had gone well, it might have changed things, but it didnt. Dungey should have done a season too.

As it is now , european riders dont have the interest that they did in going Stateside, Ferrandis went because he had a shocker season with injuries in his last MX2 year and didnt have a 450 option, but nobody else has gone in a while, and it looks like the rumours of Gajser and Prado going have gone away pretty much.

Also there isnt anyone who you could say 'he should go' who would actually land a ride based on the current MXGP class .

Covington and Sanayei took a punt on coming over, because they wernt stand out amateurs, and probably didnt fancy SX either, and they have both done ok, Covington has been a bit on and off, but when he is on , he is race win fast.

|

7/20/2018 2:16 PM

Because Jeffrey Herlings laughing

|

7/20/2018 3:14 PM

philG wrote:

Back in the day, of 3 classes, we got loads of US guys coming here , Moore, Healey, Dymond, Hughes, Button , Manneh, Parker , Schmit .. they all did well and got on good teams. Now with the 250 age rule in MX2 , anyone who wants to come has to take a chance, unless they are a name , in which case they have to go 450
. IMO RV coming for a year piqued interest, and if that had gone well, it might have changed things, but it didnt. Dungey should have done a season too.

As it is now , european riders dont have the interest that they did in going Stateside, Ferrandis went because he had a shocker season with injuries in his last MX2 year and didnt have a 450 option, but nobody else has gone in a while, and it looks like the rumours of Gajser and Prado going have gone away pretty much.

Also there isnt anyone who you could say 'he should go' who would actually land a ride based on the current MXGP class .

Covington and Sanayei took a punt on coming over, because they wernt stand out amateurs, and probably didnt fancy SX either, and they have both done ok, Covington has been a bit on and off, but when he is on , he is race win fast.

And RV kinda killed the Golden Goose?

|

7/20/2018 3:32 PM

Based off of what reed made in his last contract from Yamaha I’d imagine some of the other 5-20 place guys aren’t getting paid that much money in today’s market for here compared to over there. This is Ofcourse assuming one of ours would go over and do really well to get a factory ride but that isn’t as easily done as we all once thought.

|

7/20/2018 3:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 3:57 PM

I think there has been a drought of Americans in the last 15 years going to the GP’s because most American motocross fans during that time didn’t pay attention to or, quite frankly, care about the GP’s. So their dream and their goal was to race in the US, especially in Supercross. Maybe things will be different 5-10 years from now because more Americans seem to follow the GP’s than in the past but Supercross still holds most of the prestige.

|

7/20/2018 4:48 PM

philG wrote:

Covington is coming back across the pond I believe. And I believe Prado WANTS to race the US series, but I doubt KTM will let him, especially if he wins the title this year. They want to continue their streak of world 250 titles.

As for Gasjer, after this season's performances, I don't see him getting a #1 spot on a US team, which if I were in his shoes, would make me stay in the GPs. If I were Honda US I'd rather keep Seely than bring Gasjer over, but i'm not getting paid to make these decisions so there is that as well.

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/20/2018 7:08 PM

Pretty much all the EMX riders and other than top 6 - 10 in MX2 or MXGP are paying for their rides (by personal sponsors or family) in Europe. Also top US riders are making much more than guys in MXGP (salary, bonuses, personal sponsors and prize money combined), but they are also working harder by riding both MX and SX.

|

7/21/2018 12:17 AM

Barcia would make a great fit in MXGP i think ... who knows

|

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

7/21/2018 12:36 AM

philG wrote:

Don't forget Talon Vohland and Brownie. Both came back from the GP's and challenged RC on the 125's. Also Osbourne went to the GP's and look at him now.

|

7/21/2018 1:03 AM

More chill?

|

7/21/2018 1:06 AM

Photo
|

7/21/2018 1:28 AM

The reason is SUPERCROSS.

|

7/21/2018 2:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 2:19 AM

mmcmx wrote:

The reason is SUPERCROSS.

bingo, same reason euro come over to USA

|

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

7/21/2018 2:56 AM

Prado has said that he wants to stay under the DeCarli tent for the foreaeeable future, and that was recent. Wants to stay there and take mantle from Cairoli.

|

7/21/2018 3:38 AM

Gp field is insanely deep right now. Desalles qualy time only good enough for 14th....... the guy who handled RV all motos but 1 I believe?

|

7/21/2018 4:05 AM

shaffstall721 wrote:

Gp field is insanely deep right now. Desalles qualy time only good enough for 14th....... the guy who handled RV all motos but 1 I believe?

yeah and he is only 2 sec of the leader , first to 35th is 7 sec a lap difference .
in AMA at this moment with 7 sec a lap you would probably make top 10

|

7/21/2018 4:36 AM

|

7/21/2018 7:25 AM

shaffstall721 wrote:

RichardLoots wrote:

yeah and he is only 2 sec of the leader , first to 35th is 7 sec a lap difference .

Top 10 in session 1 at Millville ... exactly 7 seconds.

|

7/21/2018 7:42 AM

shaffstall721 wrote:

RichardLoots wrote:

philG wrote:

In a 30 second longer lap. GP field is deeper for sure but its apples and oranges.

|

7/21/2018 8:07 AM

The GP season is harder than the AMA series for a number of races. Imagine racing the GPs, you dont sleep at home a whole lot, your eating different foods all the time, your in constant travel.

The AMA guys fly in on friday, and fly home saturday night. Sleep in their own beds 5 nights a week, eat the same food every week and dont spend 8 hour in a car getting from one place to another.

|

7/21/2018 8:35 AM

I will say, if I were in a top riders shoes, the Indonesia races on the MXGP schedule would be enough to make me come to America.

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/21/2018 8:45 AM

GregDVT wrote:

I will say, if I were in a top riders shoes, the Indonesia races on the MXGP schedule would be enough to make me come to America.

Spending a week in Bali isn't too bad though.... and neither was that second Indo track

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

7/21/2018 9:45 AM

philG wrote:

GregDVT wrote:

Covington is coming back across the pond I believe. And I believe Prado WANTS to race the US series, but I doubt KTM will let him, especially if he wins the title this year. They want to continue their streak of world 250 titles.

As for Gasjer, after this season's performances, I don't see him getting a #1 spot on a US team, which if I were in his shoes, would make me stay in the GPs. If I were Honda US I'd rather keep Seely than bring Gasjer over, but i'm not getting paid to make these decisions so there is that as well.

TG243 would kick Sealey 10 days from Sunday every weekend, SX and MX is my guess.

|

7/21/2018 9:59 AM

RichardLoots wrote:

Barcia would make a great fit in MXGP i think ... who knows

agreed, he has the spirit too and i would love to see him of all the rest come over, that is unless Tomac ever grew a big enough sack to come over

All this said, some of these ama guys are not actually getting titles and still getting paid a fortune, how many would leave to get worse results for what is most likely less cash

|

7/21/2018 10:24 AM

RichardLoots wrote:

philG wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

In a 30 second longer lap. GP field is deeper for sure but its apples and oranges.

Top 20 at Locket is 3 seconds.. you can double that if you like. 6 second top 20 as opposed to a 7 second top 10. And that will be over 2 laps as opposed to 1.

Surprisingly the 250 class at Millville isnt as tight as i thought either, Cantrell in 20th , who has a contract for next year when Martin who is top 5 doesnt. have anything.... Matthes is bang on about amateur talent getting rides over guys who have already delivered.

|

7/21/2018 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 10:28 AM

It's an interesting one, as know doubt the US nats are pale in comparison to the MXGP series. Tracks, travel, food, competition, weather are all more challenging in MXGP.

But MxGp doesnt require deathcross.

If I had been good enough I would have chose MXGP. Paid to see the world racing for a world title would be perfect way to have a career.

I can understand why top US riders avoid the GP's, as US has such a strong market the rider are paid well enought to stay at the top.

Wouldn't it be nice though If a top rider could put money & logistics aside & try earn USA a true outdoor world title.

IMO that will always mean more then SX or a nat's title. That's also out trumps more $$$$ IMO.

|