Gotta say Ricky has proven me wrong

str8line
3/5/2019 9:29am
I slammed Ricky when it was announced that he was replacing Jeff. I just thought he brought surface commentary without enough depth or value in his role trackside. He's starting to share some great insight though and I think I was wrong about him. Commentary is so important to the races IMO and we have been lucky to have so many great announcers and analysts since the 80's. I was dreading Ricky, but now I'm looking forward to getting the GOAT's perspective over the next several years.
|
slowgti
3/5/2019 9:31am
Do not agree
kxkid715
3/5/2019 9:32am
Bring Back Jeff.
kb228
3/5/2019 9:32am
Imo hes proving you to be correct. Hes not good
MOTO732
3/5/2019 9:34am
Just my opinion here, but if they wanted great announcing...two words...BOB HANNAH.

The Shop

.kyle
3/5/2019 9:37am
MOTO732 wrote:
Just my opinion here, but if they wanted great announcing...two words...BOB HANNAH.
My two words would be Art Eckman.
10000hrs
3/5/2019 9:43am
Irrelevant to me. I watch without sound.
motomike894
3/5/2019 9:56am
I've done my fair share of local announcing, I would be doing a better job then RIcky and Ralph, bring back some of that 80's excitement to it too.
Moto331
3/5/2019 10:03am
I wish Blair was the main announcer, He’s great in the booth.
It would also be nice if they got rid of Joey Gladstone too But I just don’t see that happening
str8line
3/5/2019 10:10am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 10:11am
My main point is that he has improved. He has a ways to go to get to the level of his predecessors but I think he is improving and could possibly get there. Still think they made a mistake going away from Jeff.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
3/5/2019 10:34am
I think he has gotten worse but the announcing isn't that high up on things that bother me when watching the race. Would rather have Emig but do not care too much either way. Cool
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/5/2019 10:37am
I don't think he is doing a great job, but I can tell he's working on it a lot more than he did earlier (even catching his own atrocious grammar sometimes). Its not entirely fair to compare him to Jeff when Jeff left off; this is the first time I recall RC having a regular central announcing gig (not counting spot appearances). He's doing what he needs to do to get reps and improve. I doubt he'll ever be as good as DB or Doug Henry, or even RV, but I would love to hear a more polished RC talk racing.
3/5/2019 10:38am
MOTO732 wrote:
It's 3 words actually
downard254
3/5/2019 10:41am
MOTO732 wrote:
.kyle wrote:
My two words would be Art Eckman.
And Dave Despain, Larry Maiers were both good. But I think those guys had the time to watch the races and then write the dialogue to be taped over the race as it was going on. It was always way to smooth and scripted, but those guys were good. Not exciting but good. It would be cool to see Hannah in there too, but I think he has moved onto airplanes and away from moto, but not sure on that. Emig was good too, I do miss him, but Bailey is also missed.
STLSharky
3/5/2019 10:46am
str8line wrote:
I slammed Ricky when it was announced that he was replacing Jeff. I just thought he brought surface commentary without enough depth or value in his...
I slammed Ricky when it was announced that he was replacing Jeff. I just thought he brought surface commentary without enough depth or value in his role trackside. He's starting to share some great insight though and I think I was wrong about him. Commentary is so important to the races IMO and we have been lucky to have so many great announcers and analysts since the 80's. I was dreading Ricky, but now I'm looking forward to getting the GOAT's perspective over the next several years.
agreed, he has stepped up, sometimes tries to hard but really stepped up
Superdave19
3/5/2019 10:48am
GL and Weege - Dynamic Duo of 2 wheeled announcing
kaptkaos
3/5/2019 10:54am
Ricky's annunciation, tempo and grammar has been atrocious. Its also rubbed off on Ralph. They sound really bad IMO, but whatever, I can watch a race with them and still enjoy it. Blair would be so much better. One thing that has annoyed me this year is that Will and Blair need a monitor in front of them so when they are doing a 30 second piece and something critical happens on the track (which seems to be everytime this year) they can shut up and let Ralph report on the pass or crash and then resume.

It frustrates me to no end when Will is rambling on about something and Eli crashes or Web takes the lead and she just goes on reporting about how the weeks practice went for some particular rider. Erin used to do the same thing, they need a monitor or producer to tell them to shut up for a sec.

Ricky needs to go, hes not cut out for this. Theres a bunch of better options.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
3/5/2019 10:58am
str8line wrote:
I slammed Ricky when it was announced that he was replacing Jeff. I just thought he brought surface commentary without enough depth or value in his...
Ricky, you didn't have to sign up as str8line to defend yourself.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
3/5/2019 10:59am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 11:03am
str8line wrote:
Everybody was "on rails" in Detroit, but nobody was in Atlanta.

At least once every race, Ralph will flat out ask Ricky a question, and he won't answer.

He wouldn't answer when Ralph asked if it was reasonable for Bowers to be DQ'ed. In Atlanta, Ralph asked him if he saw any spots on the track that he thought would be good for passing. In both cases, he just kind of blabbered on about something else.
Gilby122
3/5/2019 11:02am
I've kind of enjoyed him honestly. I'm no announcing expert, but I appreciate him talking smack to Ralph or last weekend giving Blair crap when they showed his kid getting picked to race the KTM junior. I literally laughed when Blair played it off about just trying hard and having fun and RC threw him under the bus about checking out the gearing on those bikes, etc!!

Everyone complains about the riders being stuffy on the podium with no personality... so now Ricky is cutting it up giving Blair crap or even telling Ralph he'd smoke him on the go carts and everyone thinks he sucks.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
3/5/2019 11:04am
kaptkaos wrote:
Ricky's annunciation, tempo and grammar has been atrocious. Its also rubbed off on Ralph. They sound really bad IMO, but whatever, I can watch a race...
Ricky's annunciation, tempo and grammar has been atrocious. Its also rubbed off on Ralph. They sound really bad IMO, but whatever, I can watch a race with them and still enjoy it. Blair would be so much better. One thing that has annoyed me this year is that Will and Blair need a monitor in front of them so when they are doing a 30 second piece and something critical happens on the track (which seems to be everytime this year) they can shut up and let Ralph report on the pass or crash and then resume.

It frustrates me to no end when Will is rambling on about something and Eli crashes or Web takes the lead and she just goes on reporting about how the weeks practice went for some particular rider. Erin used to do the same thing, they need a monitor or producer to tell them to shut up for a sec.

Ricky needs to go, hes not cut out for this. Theres a bunch of better options.
I'm pretty sure Daniel has a monitor. On one of the podcasts he made a comment that the producers want him to watch the monitors, but he has a hard time doing it.

Also, why do so many people here spell his name as "Web"? Is there some kind of joke or meme I missed?
dkg
3/5/2019 11:09am
I don't think he is doing a great job, but I can tell he's working on it a lot more than he did earlier (even catching...
I don't think he is doing a great job, but I can tell he's working on it a lot more than he did earlier (even catching his own atrocious grammar sometimes). Its not entirely fair to compare him to Jeff when Jeff left off; this is the first time I recall RC having a regular central announcing gig (not counting spot appearances). He's doing what he needs to do to get reps and improve. I doubt he'll ever be as good as DB or Doug Henry, or even RV, but I would love to hear a more polished RC talk racing.
Agreed, he is improving. A good public speaking course would help him.
RG1
3/5/2019 11:10am
He's terrible. The most annoying thing is that they actually have someone that would be excellent on the broadcast team but he's down on the floor
TeamGreen
3/5/2019 11:19am
I like RC -AND- I want Jeffro back...in the pits, setting up pre-show shots and interviews...etc. Jeff can talk the riders like very few can. I’d also like to see Jeff involved in production during the racing.
3/5/2019 11:38am
I think a solid understanding of the English language is a pretty important prerequisite for a professional talking job. But hey, that's just me.

I watched with a non-moto friend Saturday and he couldn't believe that Ricky was actually the announcer. My personal favorite is when Ricky realizes he's going off the rails and just stops talking abruptly, mid-sentence.
milliebays
3/5/2019 11:41am
he did say one interesting thing about not needing to go outside b4 the whoops b/c didn't need the drive after they broke down.

other than that......
Racerman967
3/5/2019 11:46am
The fact that he is unable to pronounce Davalos correctly on a consistent basis is bad enough. That he forgets what happened 2 laps prior or at the last race is even worse.
Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
3/5/2019 11:49am
I think he started strong and is starting to stumble a bit as the rounds go on. Not all his fault though. He and Ralph just don't have the chemistry. Case in point.. This week's build up and segway to the Pixy Stix munching was very awkward. lots of dead air.. and they didn't even end up showing them downing them. It was like listening in on your weird neighbors conversation from the next room.
brocster
3/5/2019 11:53am
Ricky is doing way better than Fro was his first season a few races in. However, the ohhh’s and ahhhhh’s when someone miffs it have to stop.
KDXGarage
3/5/2019 11:57am
Perhaps focusing more on the racing than the talking would help some here??

Post a reply to: Gotta say Ricky has proven me wrong

The Latest