Got the itch to get back into it

Honda612
Hey all, first time poster here but I have been embedded into motocross for 28 years. I got my first bike, an 89 Z 50 when I was 3, rode that and countless other bikes as I grew, started racing 80's in ND in 98, took a state championship in 2000, moved up to a RM 125, then onto 250 thumpers, won quite a few races in the mondak and ndma circuit, took 13th in 250 intermediate on a full gate at spring creek in 2005, then hung the sport up for a year when I went to college. After college, I bought a 2006 cr 250r and got into freestyle motocross, had a ramp made from fmx ramps, did that for a few years and did a few small town shows, got back into racing again and then got burnt out. My reason for telling you all this is not to come off as boastful or arrogant, but rather to lay some frame work for the question I am about to ask to help you better understand the position I am in. I did some searches and have not been able to find anything along the lines of what I am looking for.

Yesterday i got home from the recent races as spring creek, boy did that bring back some great memories. On that 13 hour drive I found myself wondering what it would be like if I tried getting back into racing. I am now 32 and did have a back surgery about 6 years ago. I have been at my job for 13 years and I have a comfortable career there. I am a sales manager so my job does not require physical labor. I have 2 kids, a wife, mortgage, etc.

I am curious if anyone has any input on the feaseability of me getting back into this sport at this point in my life. I have no desire to ride a dirt bike if it's just going to be a joy ride, my goals would be to get fast and put in some fast laps, potentially race spring creek of next year in intermediate class. Am I crazy? I know there are a lot of vets out there who ride and love it, but many appear to just go out there and have a good time. That is the reason we all do it but for this sport to be fulfilling and enjoyable for me, I need to be going fast and pushing myself. My questions are:

How fast does the feel of cornering and jumping come back after a 9 year hiatus? I know it will be different for everyone so I am hoping for real life experiences with this. When I used to ride, I felt like the bike was an extension of my body, and watching others ride this past weekend I still feel like I could lay down a nasty scrub, am I kidding myself?

How much harder is it in your body when you get back into the sport? I am sure this will be the hardest part. I have been a power lifter for the past 24 months with a few breaks in there, I feel as if I am in decent shape but not "motocross shape."

What bike should i get? Should i ease in with a 250 or go straight to 450 or do I go 2 stroke? I can ride both styles of bike, meaning I can be a lazy shifter on a 4 stroke and use engine brake into corners, very little clutch, or the exact opposite on a 2 stroke (my preferred style but do I really wanna work that much harder at this age and point in my life?) Also I am into snowmobiling so the 450 could handle the timbersled, etc. And then there is the need 350 which I would seriously consider.

All this said, I am going to the track tomorrow to "feel out" my buddy's new kxf 450. This seems to be the logical first step into seeing if the flame is ignited again or if I should stay away. All I have for gear at this point is a helmet so I wont be able to get too crazy, nor do I expect to do so until I have proper gear and conditioning.

I hate to sound crass in this post, that is not my intention so I apologize if that is how I have come off. I am mainly looking for opinions, reassurance, or a reality check, I think that's what I need at this point. The wife thinks so. Thanks.
|
7/24/2019 6:08am
I have the sport up for 7.5 years when I was 20 and got back at 27, I had never owned a 450, got a used rmz, and other than not having half of the endurance it all comes back, I’m better than I thought I’d be but still am balancing the fact that I want to go faster and the fact I am self employed, just back it down and ride for fun. I’m really wanting to go get a left over 18 rmz now, if you can and want to ride do it! Only gunna be here once
yz133rider
7/24/2019 6:14am
Id say get a 250f and dont worry about speed, or how fast you used to be. Just have fun That's what its all about.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
7/24/2019 6:16am
Yes, you're crazy. You’re window of “making it” is long gone. However, you can always get a bike and just enjoy riding again.
Honda612
7/24/2019 6:21am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Yes, you're crazy. You’re window of “making it” is long gone. However, you can always get a bike and just enjoy riding again.
Yes I agree with this. I have no desire of making a career out of it at this point in my life and realize that ship has sailed. I want to enjoy the sport but I know I will not have a lot of fun rolling all the jumps, etc. Trying to find that balance......

The Shop

Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
7/24/2019 6:24am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Honda612 wrote:
Yes I agree with this. I have no desire of making a career out of it at this point in my life and realize that ship...
Yes I agree with this. I have no desire of making a career out of it at this point in my life and realize that ship has sailed. I want to enjoy the sport but I know I will not have a lot of fun rolling all the jumps, etc. Trying to find that balance......
Just takes seat time and lots of practice. But most importantly it really is all for fun. Don’t worry about rolling jumps, put your helmet on and let all your worries disappear.
sandtrack315
7/24/2019 6:24am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 6:31am
I was somewhat fast (solid B rider) when I was 20. Basically didn’t ride again until I was 30. I can still throw down a solid moto, do some of the tougher obstacles, blitz whoops, rail some deep ruts, scrub a bit. But I just go out and try to have fun and I ride at like 50-85 percent. You are crazy to go out at this age and send it like you are 17. Just get a 250F and focus on technique, style, and having fun. That’s what I did. Took me about 15 hours to get 60-70 percent of my speed back. I’m maybe at 80 percent now. I push myself by seeing how fast I can go with technique and not being on that edge. For example, instead of slamming a rut as fast as I can I try to be as smooth as possible and stand as long as possible through it.
bvm111
7/24/2019 6:37am
You will be amazed at the muscle memory and instinct that comes back after a few rides. I quit in 2001 after my right scaphoid injury and didn’t get back into it until 2014. I nearly shat myself in disbelief that I was riding again but it’s been 5 years and I haven’t killed my self yet, I can clear all the jumps and keep a good pace and for me that is what it is all about.

Have fun and good luck
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
7/24/2019 6:38am
You story sounds similar to mine when I was 34. I remember all the "i'm to old", "is it worth it", "probably suck now" etc.. ALL bullshit.

Like above, your fitness will be a struggle fest. I would assume your first day will be fun and terrible. You'll hold your breath so much you will think a small infant baby child could beat you up. Once those feelings come back, things will stop coming at you so fast.

The lack of fitness drove me to get it back on and off the bike. I became a student of the sport and ride better at 41 than I did at 22.

I started on a 450 and made the mistake of riding it like a 2 stroke. I got a 2 stroke and felt at home because that is what I rode last. I've since gone had a few of both. Right now i've been enjoying the shit out my 17 KTM 450. But i'm the type that loves anything two wheels. They all have advantages and disadvantages, but I would get what you rode last just to help the come back.
peltier626
7/24/2019 7:04am
I was somewhat fast (solid B rider) when I was 20. Basically didn’t ride again until I was 30. I can still throw down a solid...
I was somewhat fast (solid B rider) when I was 20. Basically didn’t ride again until I was 30. I can still throw down a solid moto, do some of the tougher obstacles, blitz whoops, rail some deep ruts, scrub a bit. But I just go out and try to have fun and I ride at like 50-85 percent. You are crazy to go out at this age and send it like you are 17. Just get a 250F and focus on technique, style, and having fun. That’s what I did. Took me about 15 hours to get 60-70 percent of my speed back. I’m maybe at 80 percent now. I push myself by seeing how fast I can go with technique and not being on that edge. For example, instead of slamming a rut as fast as I can I try to be as smooth as possible and stand as long as possible through it.
I mimic your situation almost exactly. At 37 with a family, mortgage, career and all the responsibilities that come along with it. To the OP, ride a couple of different bikes and see what your comfortable with and enjoy yourself. For me a 250f is enough. I originally returned back to the sport on a KTM 350 and after a couple years on that decided the 250f was adequate. Enjoy yourself at whatever speed your comfortable with.
FWYT
7/24/2019 7:45am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 7:47am
Of course you can get back into it! But give your ego a MASSIVE reality check.
Keep it safe. I have so many friends way better than me that still tried to ride
like they did when they were 20 and would get hurt.

"my goals would be to get fast and put in some fast laps,"
One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is that I don't have to be
going that fast to think- "Holy shit! I'm hauling ass!" LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
The way I look at it as that I'm 55 and still riding and racing and having a blast so that is a WIN.
GripNRip617
7/24/2019 8:08am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 8:09am
I was out of the sport for roughly 7 years, granted I was much younger.

Rode and raced from age 5 to 13, and won a couple D16 championships. Life happened and parents sold everything.

Got back into the sport at 20 years old (7 years later) with my own money. I'm now 24 and finish mid-pack A class. That's after 200+ hours of riding.
Honda612
7/24/2019 8:13am
Lots of great insight provided here, and I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming! Reread my original post and I may have come off as a bit naive and smug. By no means was that my intention, guess I am just fired up and riding this rollercoaster of excitement, uncertainty, and doubt. I agree I will appreciate the experience a lot more if I am relaxed and patient about it.

Would there be any interest if I were to post videos and updates about my progress from day 1? If all goes well, the thread could serve as inspiration for others who are entertaining doing the same thing I am. Thanks again everyone, it is appreciated!
agn5009
7/24/2019 8:38am
I was a local pro/ top A rider in nationals (in harescrambles) when I was 17-18. Gave it all up and went to college, started a career and a family. I would ride once or twice a year throughout the years off but right around late last year I decided to get back into racing a little. It took a little while to get the fitness back but honestly the speed was still there. Was I as fast as I was when I was 18? Hell no. But I could still turn quick laps and can still win vet A.

Arm pump was one of the hard things for me to get over. I NEVER got arm pump when I raced before. However during my hiatus I got into lifting pretty hard. One thing I will tell you, if you’re a power lifter you’re really going to struggle with arm pump. It’s best for you to back down on the weight and increase your reps significantly. That’s what ultimately ended up curing my major arm pump issues.

Anyways, you’re not gonna be competitive right away. No one likes losing but the reality of it is you will lose for a while. Eventually you can get yourself where you want but it’ll take some time. Oh, and jumping is easy. It’s the turns, bumps, ruts, focus and fitness that take time to get back.
Paw Paw 271
7/24/2019 8:44am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 8:45am
Being over 72 years old now, I can tell you that the passion for the rush of riding never seems to go away even when the physical abilities have. Do it for fun and have a blast. So what if your not the fastest guy on the track. I can tell you that no one else on the track will be having as much fun as I am when I am riding, even if they have to use an hour glass to time my laps.

Paw Paw
Indy mxer
7/24/2019 8:55am
Being over 72 years old now, I can tell you that the passion for the rush of riding never seems to go away even when the...
Being over 72 years old now, I can tell you that the passion for the rush of riding never seems to go away even when the physical abilities have. Do it for fun and have a blast. So what if your not the fastest guy on the track. I can tell you that no one else on the track will be having as much fun as I am when I am riding, even if they have to use an hour glass to time my laps.

Paw Paw
Very well said. I'm 62 and having the time of my life too. Just don't push it anymore but still like to go fast.
Hopefully I'll still be riding when I'm your age! lol. I plan on riding until I physically can't. I keep myself very fit so that helps.

Keep it up Paw Paw and enjoy the ride.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/24/2019 8:56am
^^^ Laughing Hour glass. As long as you have a smile from ear to ear, that's all that matters.
duckdog77
7/24/2019 9:22am
Quit racing at 15 got back into when I was 19 broke my leg. Quit until now at 31. Bought a used 250f over the winter. Hit the gym for 3 months before season. My conditioning is better than ever. I’m stronger than ever and feel I’m faster than I was at 15.

I went back to the basics. I work on technique more than speed. And suspension set up more than bling. I can’t believe the corner speed I’m carrying and the jumps I’m hitting. With that said I do feel out of sorts in the air. Used to whip everything and feel I had a sense of style in the air. Working on that coming back. Never got into the scrub game.

I originally got the bike for fun to play around on the property. But soon found myself at the local GP races. (Harescramble) never thought I would get into that over motocross but damn are they fun. And push you to physical limits you didn’t know you could achieve. Just finishing them can be rewarding in itself first or last. Started in C class as I have never done GP’s before or even raced in a big bike class for that matter. Hoping to work my way Up! So far I went 6 out of 7, 15 out of 16, and last race took 1st out of 3.

For me personally. I hit the mx track over 4th of July and realized that wasn’t the place for me. Lots of commitment with all the jumps with a lot on the line career/family/mortgage. I found myself more nervous than having fun. Although I was doing most the jumps there. Woods riding I can ride my pace whatever that may mean that day and still be safe (as safe as possible that is). MX is go for it or go home. but yes after my experience you can still be fast. Hell maybe like some of us faster than you have ever been. I got my ass handed to me by some 50+ guys last race. They were flying!
cwtoyota
7/24/2019 5:30pm
How fast does the feel of cornering and jumping come back after a 9 year hiatus? I know it will be different for everyone so I am hoping for real life experiences with this. When I used to ride, I felt like the bike was an extension of my body, and watching others ride this past weekend I still feel like I could lay down a nasty scrub, am I kidding myself?

I had to take a 4 year break from riding and racing from age 23 to 27 and also a pair of two year breaks for overseas work and recently school. After two years off, I came back this January and have been riding consistently... Even had a few good starts and decent moto results in 30+ recently.

How much harder is it in your body when you get back into the sport? I am sure this will be the hardest part. I have been a power lifter for the past 24 months with a few breaks in there, I feel as if I am in decent shape but not "motocross shape."

That all depends on your condition as you seem to understand. I mentioned above coming back from a break 2 years off this January for school. I spent last year running and doing a bunch of fitness stuff so that I could jump right back on the bike when I decided the time was right. It was a good plan, I have had zero injuries and feel much safer or more confident than I would have by trying to ride myself into shape. I'm typing this after I just finished an 8 mile run.

In spite of what a lot of motocross people will tell you, look into some cross-fit type workouts where you do a lot of body weight stuff and stay in motion to keep your heart-rate up. I don't do cross-fit, but my stuff is similar. Get your cardio up to par so you can ride more than three laps at a fast pace safely. Running and Rowing machine are the best and a bicycle is good if you have terrible joints.

I'm coming right up on 39 here and I feel like I'm the fit guy at the track and on the gate.
Take your passion for power lifting and apply it to moto style fitness, however that works out for you and your body-type needs.

Most important, have fun and ease back into riding without going over your head. Welcome back.
Honda612
7/24/2019 5:35pm
I went out and rode tonight, and I am happy with how things went. It's hot as hell right now, about 90 degrees, the blue jeans were chaffing Haha. I felt pretty at home on the bike right out of the gate, my endurance and arm pump were horrible, as predicted! However I felt freakishly at home on the bike, was able to jump a small timing section and seat hop a small table from the inside line, it felt natural. Those 2 laps reminded me of the good ol days, then after that I could barely hang on. Took a break and did maybe 10 laps total, arms are shot, but I wouldn't change it for anything!
Honda612
7/24/2019 5:44pm
cwtoyota wrote:
[b][i]How fast does the feel of cornering and jumping come back after a 9 year hiatus? I know it will be different for everyone so I...

I had to take a 4 year break from riding and racing from age 23 to 27 and also a pair of two year breaks for overseas work and recently school. After two years off, I came back this January and have been riding consistently... Even had a few good starts and decent moto results in 30+ recently.

That all depends on your condition as you seem to understand. I mentioned above coming back from a break 2 years off this January for school. I spent last year running and doing a bunch of fitness stuff so that I could jump right back on the bike when I decided the time was right. It was a good plan, I have had zero injuries and feel much safer or more confident than I would have by trying to ride myself into shape. I'm typing this after I just finished an 8 mile run.

In spite of what a lot of motocross people will tell you, look into some cross-fit type workouts where you do a lot of body weight stuff and stay in motion to keep your heart-rate up. I don't do cross-fit, but my stuff is similar. Get your cardio up to par so you can ride more than three laps at a fast pace safely. Running and Rowing machine are the best and a bicycle is good if you have terrible joints.

I'm coming right up on 39 here and I feel like I'm the fit guy at the track and on the gate.
Take your passion for power lifting and apply it to moto style fitness, however that works out for you and your body-type needs.

Most important, have fun and ease back into riding without going over your head. Welcome back.
Great advice here, I will take it to heart. I am going to start running tomorrow but will need to ease into that as I partially tore my Achilles 2 years ago when I considered myself a "runner." That 450 had some grunt, a guy can be lazy coming out of corners with it and still get over obstacles. Torn between the 250 and 450 more than I was before. I think if I can just learn to enjoy riding without winning races that will be the best thing for me at this point. It did not help the track was super dry and slick tonight, so it was more challenging for everyone, I can't wait till we get some rain and I can dump the clutch in a loamy berm.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/24/2019 5:47pm
I was a midpack novice when I quit in 1990 to concentrate on college. After I took my degree, I came back to racing in about '95 and I sucked for a while. My timing, bravery and conditioning were way off. The thing is, I kept at it and ended up faster than I ever was as a young kid. Eventually I became a reasonably fast 125 Intermediate and when I turned 30 I was darn competitive in the vet classes. I knew there was no way I'd make it to pro, but who cares? It's fun. Go race!
bonseff
7/24/2019 6:02pm
Honda612 wrote:
I went out and rode tonight, and I am happy with how things went. It's hot as hell right now, about 90 degrees, the blue jeans...
I went out and rode tonight, and I am happy with how things went. It's hot as hell right now, about 90 degrees, the blue jeans were chaffing Haha. I felt pretty at home on the bike right out of the gate, my endurance and arm pump were horrible, as predicted! However I felt freakishly at home on the bike, was able to jump a small timing section and seat hop a small table from the inside line, it felt natural. Those 2 laps reminded me of the good ol days, then after that I could barely hang on. Took a break and did maybe 10 laps total, arms are shot, but I wouldn't change it for anything!
Word up. Now you know what to do. Forget your past accomplishments & ego, buy a used bike and get back into riding shape. I am 45yrs old and have been in and out several times. But once it is in your blood, the itch pops up again and again. There is no other way to get that dopamine!
Matt336
7/25/2019 5:22am
Honda612 wrote:
I went out and rode tonight, and I am happy with how things went. It's hot as hell right now, about 90 degrees, the blue jeans...
Hey Jeremy, it’s Clem. It’s cool to hear you want to get back into the sport, I’ve been thinking about it for the last year or so but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Does anybody in town have a 350 you could try out? From everything I’ve read, that might be the way to go.
geeZ177
7/25/2019 8:28am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2019 8:30am
I'm in the same position as the O.P. though our fitness and skill level are much further apart lol. Back in the early 00's I was a mid pack go for broke Novice that could run upper pack speed for a lap or two but would fade hard due to lack of training. Anyways I had to hang it up due to a back injury resulting from a Moto crash and my family not supporting me in a return to the track. Well my want to race again has never gone away and now at almost 36 I am at a place where I can get back into it. I am trying to get the wife fully on board. There is a lot on the line, as like most here I have a mortgage, car payments etc. And I unlike the O.P. do work a physical job. If I get back into mx it will be next spring. But my goals have nothing to do with winning, sure I would like to do well. But for me I just want to get back into shape, ride a dirt bike and have fun. And after 18 years off a dirt bike I fully plan on rolling just about everything. I know it will probably take me most of a season to get any sort of speed or confidence but is what it is. Call it a midlife crisis or whatever but I feel like I need mx back in my life. Good luck to the O.P. and all the other "old guys" who are chasing their "second act". Have fun and be safe out there guys.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/25/2019 8:56am
OP, I thought I was reading about myself for a minute, except that I never quite.

Always have a bike in my garage even if it's not one that I personally own. I'm very fortunate to have a father that got me into the sport and usually has multiple bikes, so when I don't have a bike he usually gives me one to ride for a while.

Having a wife, 2 kids and mortgage has kept me away from the track and bike a lot over the last 2 years. I finally got to ride 3 weeks ago at a local track for the first time since July 4, 2018 and dude let me tell you, it was not great. It felt amazing to ride, but I felt like I had just started riding. It had been a long time since I felt that bad on a bike. I felt weak, slow and nothing felt natural. But I can guarantee the next time won't be nearly as bad and neither will the time after that.

I won't lie, I struggle with not being as fast as I once was and seeing all my friends being faster than I am now, but I sit back and realize most of them ride throughout the entire year at least 2 times a month while I'm lucky to ride 3 or 4 times a year. It's hard for many of us to get passed our ego's and be okay with not being where we once were, but we have to sit back and realize that we are basically starting from scratch. Just get out and enjoy riding man! Who cares how fast you are as long as you are having fun riding your bike.
cwtoyota
7/25/2019 11:43am
Honda612 wrote:
Matt336 wrote:
Hey Jeremy, it’s Clem. It’s cool to hear you want to get back into the sport, I’ve been thinking about it for the last year or...
Hey Jeremy, it’s Clem. It’s cool to hear you want to get back into the sport, I’ve been thinking about it for the last year or so but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Does anybody in town have a 350 you could try out? From everything I’ve read, that might be the way to go.
For a guy who plans to be under 200 lbs without gear, the KTM and Husky 350SX-F or the YZ250F are great bikes.

IanMac138
7/25/2019 12:01pm
I recently just got back into riding MX after 10 years off a bike. My hiatus was after another brutal injury where I compound fractured my femur which left me in the hospital for 10+ days and a year of hard physical therapy. I'd already had my knee reconstructed and several other broken bones etc. and it was just the final straw for me.

However, there was a hole in my life where Moto had been such a vital part of my existence since I was 4 years old. Long story short, last September I pulled the trigger and got a '19 KTM 150 and have been obsessed with riding since. Usually hit the track twice a week and race when I feel like it.

There was definitely a learning curve to the bike and getting my skills dusted off and refined to the point where I felt like I was finally comfortable and able to ride how I wanted to. Granted, I'm 38 now and don't quite have that 'edge' that I did when I was 28. I have 2 kids now, a wife and a great job so the risks I take are much more calculated now (risk vs. reward). I still push myself hard and can hit all the jumps on a track but I eased back into being able to do that. There were some big frustrations while getting back into the swing of things like my riding fitness and sacking up to ride like I know I'm capable (or was capable of), but I just took my time and kept progressing week by week. I'm finally feeling fit on the bike and can push harder outside of my comfort zone, but again, I always keep myself in check. If I'm not feeling it that day, I respect it and don't try and do anything stupid. Even on those days where I'm frustrated, I always have fun and big smile on my face. So glad I got back into it because there was a void that mountain biking and snowboarding just couldn't fill.

Hope you jump back into it and take it slow and steady as you get back up to speed. No need to jump back on a bike and expect yourself to be ripping right away like you once did. Like you, I have a responsibility to my family so that's always in the back of my head. The frustrations will come, but don't let them get you down or make you do something stupid to try and impress yourself. You'll be back on the ground real fast and hitting the deck hurts a lot more in your 30's than it did in your teens and 20's, that's for sure. Best of luck dude!
geeZ177
7/25/2019 2:13pm
Really enjoy this thread so far. Happy to hear that I'm not the only one who has this "struggle" of doing something they want to do vs. their daily responsibilities. Also other guys that have been beat up bad by Moto like myself that have alsogot back into it even with these old war wounds. To you guys that have got back into Moto after being married did you have to make a big sales pitch to your wives? Or were they pretty much on board with the idea?

Post a reply to: Got the itch to get back into it

The Latest