Gopro not doing so hot

MIKEY755
Edited Date/Time 4/14/2016 1:31pm
Chad may be able to wear his Fly360 cam after alll.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/gopro-earnings-q4-2015-2016-2

Edit:

Here's a more detailed report.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-03/gopro-earnings-plunge…

|
DanDunes818
2/4/2016 1:49pm
It's a big difference from being the only good camera in a new space to being just a slightly above average camera in a saturated space. Bottom line, GoPro is not the best camera in that market anymore and that market is now saturated by big named camera makers and new companies that are pushing their technology to the next level. I'm no professional in this stuff, but that's how I see it.
51xc
2/4/2016 1:51pm
i like the idea of the 360fly but as of now i get dizzy watching any of that footage. Blink
hope they can improve it soon.
Mike.
2/4/2016 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2016 2:00pm
51xc wrote:
i like the idea of the 360fly but as of now i get dizzy watching any of that footage. Blink
hope they can improve it soon.
I have the same issue with footage from the 360fly.
MIKEY755
2/4/2016 2:01pm
It's a big difference from being the only good camera in a new space to being just a slightly above average camera in a saturated space...
It's a big difference from being the only good camera in a new space to being just a slightly above average camera in a saturated space. Bottom line, GoPro is not the best camera in that market anymore and that market is now saturated by big named camera makers and new companies that are pushing their technology to the next level. I'm no professional in this stuff, but that's how I see it.
I agree, however, I think what's hurting them more is the huge amount of money they spend on the sponsorship / promotional side.

The Shop

Motofinne
2/4/2016 2:04pm
Well GoPro has to figure something out pretty quickly if they want to be the number 1 in action cameras and keep growing. The session camera was a semi failure and i don't think that the rumored GoPro drone will "save" the company.

Lets be honest all they have done is just upgrading the specs of the same camera since the first version, that will not work in the long run.

I do like my GoPro 4 silver but it isn't any groundbreaking.
BSmooth13
2/4/2016 2:07pm
Interesting to see this coming up here, of all places...though GoPro definitely is a big player in MX/SX. I recently listened to an old Planet Money podcast from March which discussed the "Top 10" most shorted stocks - GoPro was a prominent member of the list, and they had some logical reasons as to why. That's a list that can't be a lot of fun to be on.
Crush
2/4/2016 2:18pm
Pretty ironic when you consider how much nicer the new one is than the previous models!
RangerLee
2/4/2016 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2016 2:33pm
Motofinne wrote:
Well GoPro has to figure something out pretty quickly if they want to be the number 1 in action cameras and keep growing. The session camera...
Well GoPro has to figure something out pretty quickly if they want to be the number 1 in action cameras and keep growing. The session camera was a semi failure and i don't think that the rumored GoPro drone will "save" the company.

Lets be honest all they have done is just upgrading the specs of the same camera since the first version, that will not work in the long run.

I do like my GoPro 4 silver but it isn't any groundbreaking.
The session was bad because they tried selling it for the same price as their flagship model. Whoever in marketing decided that needs to go, you can't sell a camera with less features for the same price as one of your top models that has all the features (and same quality) and expect people to jump on it.

The corrected that recently dropping the price, but damage was done, lots of inventory of that camera as it did not sell.

One a side note, I am completely impressed with the 360 and I do want one. The image will only get better so I now the debate of waiting for a 2nd generation or jumping on this model.
2/4/2016 2:45pm
It's a big difference from being the only good camera in a new space to being just a slightly above average camera in a saturated space...
What are the better equivalents?
2/4/2016 2:45pm
BSmooth13 wrote:
Interesting to see this coming up here, of all places...though GoPro definitely is a big player in MX/SX. I recently listened to an old Planet Money...
Interesting to see this coming up here, of all places...though GoPro definitely is a big player in MX/SX. I recently listened to an old Planet Money podcast from March which discussed the "Top 10" most shorted stocks - GoPro was a prominent member of the list, and they had some logical reasons as to why. That's a list that can't be a lot of fun to be on.
I read the same in an investment article a year or so ago. It basically said the technology used to create gopro was owned by a much larger player in the camera market and that they would eventually squash them when releasing their own better cheaper versions in the future after seeing the market possibilities. Are they really hurting that bad?
2/4/2016 2:52pm
I lost mine in the snow last year and I'm over it.

For what they do and the price, I'll take a chance with my phone instead.
WFO!
2/4/2016 2:54pm
I think the most interesting page in the Gopro "slide" is when it was reported that the Gopro that Michael Schumacher was wearing was the cause of his brain injury.

Stocks took a dive overnight.

They have never really bounced back no matter how hard they have tried.

BSmooth13
2/4/2016 3:01pm
I read the same in an investment article a year or so ago. It basically said the technology used to create gopro was owned by a...
I read the same in an investment article a year or so ago. It basically said the technology used to create gopro was owned by a much larger player in the camera market and that they would eventually squash them when releasing their own better cheaper versions in the future after seeing the market possibilities. Are they really hurting that bad?
I think a lot of the comments on the pod I listened to vibe with what consumers are saying just in this thread. Seems many have the "I see the use, and it's cool, but it's pricey, and too pricey given the alternatives" is directly in line with what I took from that section of the podcast - in short "GoPro was the first in this segment, but it's a tech company, others will figure it out and work around whatever IP exists, and they'll either have to make a huge development/innovation or drastically cut prices, the latter of which is just a slow trip to insolvency."
kkawboy14
2/4/2016 3:04pm
I have one, I hate using it and the battery life is junk, other than that it looks good sitting on the shelf!
2/4/2016 3:11pm
I would a Hero 4 Silver but their cost is crazy. Drop it 100 bucks and they would sell more.

I also think people were let down by the 4K 15fps or 4k30 on the black edition.
2/4/2016 3:13pm
I have tons of fragmented videos scattered about my different forms of devices lol. I had an early one and ended up using it more as a still camera that was until the battery took a shit.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
2/4/2016 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2016 3:27pm
I have $1000 worth at about $10/share just for fun. What goes down MUST come up, right?

Since they are dabbling with drones and a 360 camera I figure I will be able to make some money eventually, just may take time. I have heard reports the stock may go down to $5 a share, guess we will see, Im in it til it gets to at least $15 a share.
PEPE001
2/4/2016 3:26pm
Could be expected!

Technology wise they are not what they claim.
You can get better action cams for way less with better quality.

If I see my Sony 1:1 to GoPro decision will be easy.
Sony all day long, way cheaper using the same sensor and the quality to me is better with the Sony.

Its not enough on the long run to spend ridiculous amount of money in marketing.
If the technology cant keep up with the expectation you are done.

From my point of view for the technology they deliver way to expensive.

Actin Cams are a mass market and Asian companies will make the race!

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/4/2016 3:50pm
The whole Reed and 360 Fly thing last year at thunder valley really left a bad taste in my mouth for GoPro. If it wasn't for the fact that my sister bought me a GoPro back in 2012 I probably never would have bought one myself. After what they did with Chad I'll never buy another GoPro camera or any accessories. I haven't looked at the price of a 360 fly yet but I am really interested in it!
MIKEY755
2/4/2016 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2016 4:09pm
I dunno, I mean I have a GoPro 2 but don't really use it anymore, my non moto friends could care less when I show them video's and my moto friends are at the track riding with me so they don't really care either.

The 360fly will be awesome when they get the quality up a bit, it'll be sick to be able to see the person behind and in front you. Hopefully the price will come down (currently $530 cnd) and I'll be sold. Unfortunately I think that when the quality gets better it will take a massive amount of data at 1080p +

Hopefully GoPro's entry into the drone market will get them out of trouble.
2/4/2016 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2016 5:29pm
Lol @ gopro.... The Garmin virb now connects via bluetooth to all Garmin products and displays the readings inset in the video. It has a lap time counter, will display heart rate, has an accelerometer for speed. That's good data to have and the pic and sound is as good if not better than gopro. Cam is also smaller. Uses gopro mount.

There's a kid running one at FTT on YouTube

Also check out the new Halo breakaway mounts. Disperses pressure in a crash and breaks away.
jasenbougher
2/4/2016 5:47pm
I would a Hero 4 Silver but their cost is crazy. Drop it 100 bucks and they would sell more. I also think people were let...
I would a Hero 4 Silver but their cost is crazy. Drop it 100 bucks and they would sell more.

I also think people were let down by the 4K 15fps or 4k30 on the black edition.
not at all looks great on my 5k iMac
Roostermx58
2/4/2016 5:49pm
mx 219 wrote:
I have $1000 worth at about $10/share just for fun. What goes down MUST come up, right? Since they are dabbling with drones and a 360...
I have $1000 worth at about $10/share just for fun. What goes down MUST come up, right?

Since they are dabbling with drones and a 360 camera I figure I will be able to make some money eventually, just may take time. I have heard reports the stock may go down to $5 a share, guess we will see, Im in it til it gets to at least $15 a share.
Bought it at a little higher price but I sure hope they go back up. I believe if you hold it, you won't lose. Nick Goodman is too smart to let his baby die.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
2/4/2016 6:44pm
RangerLee wrote:
The session was bad because they tried selling it for the same price as their flagship model. Whoever in marketing decided that needs to go, you...
The session was bad because they tried selling it for the same price as their flagship model. Whoever in marketing decided that needs to go, you can't sell a camera with less features for the same price as one of your top models that has all the features (and same quality) and expect people to jump on it.

The corrected that recently dropping the price, but damage was done, lots of inventory of that camera as it did not sell.

One a side note, I am completely impressed with the 360 and I do want one. The image will only get better so I now the debate of waiting for a 2nd generation or jumping on this model.
I bought a Session for $200 brand new. I like it. I like the simplicity and the size. The picture isn't quite as good as the main cameras from Gopro, but it is more than sufficient for what I'm using it for (riding and hunting).

I too like the 360, very cool technology. Competition is good for the market - makes products better and lower cost.
Gringoe
2/4/2016 6:48pm
Dude have either one of you used one of those? Worst action camera I've ever owned and I've had 4 kinds..
jeffro503
2/4/2016 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2016 7:21pm
Well , I have mixed feelings on the Go-Pro thing.

1st...I appreciate all their sponsorship money , which helps the sport I love dearly stay afloat , along with sponsoring riders.

BUT.....

2nd....I am a huge fan of the helmet cam videos on the races. 99.9% of the ones they put out are any where from 2mins to 5mins long. ( WTF??? ) I like the full moto videos , from the drop of the gate to the checkered flag. I've been begging for damn near 3yrs and hardly anything ever comes up!

I hope another camera outfits like 360 or Reflex , ect.....if they get into a spot where they are able to show full moto videos , then I'll back them way before I will go-pro.

who else here wants to see the FULL race videos? Hate this 2min highlight video bullshit.
Gringoe
2/4/2016 7:29pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well , I have mixed feelings on the Go-Pro thing. 1st...I appreciate all their sponsorship money , which helps the sport I love dearly stay afloat...
Well , I have mixed feelings on the Go-Pro thing.

1st...I appreciate all their sponsorship money , which helps the sport I love dearly stay afloat , along with sponsoring riders.

BUT.....

2nd....I am a huge fan of the helmet cam videos on the races. 99.9% of the ones they put out are any where from 2mins to 5mins long. ( WTF??? ) I like the full moto videos , from the drop of the gate to the checkered flag. I've been begging for damn near 3yrs and hardly anything ever comes up!

I hope another camera outfits like 360 or Reflex , ect.....if they get into a spot where they are able to show full moto videos , then I'll back them way before I will go-pro.

who else here wants to see the FULL race videos? Hate this 2min highlight video bullshit.
It has something to do with tv rights that they can't do full sx races I do believe.

Post a reply to: Gopro not doing so hot

The Latest