Good summer riding destinations? Looking for places to intern at next summer (mechanical engineer)

bh
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2021 6:00am
Like the title says I'm looking for places to intern at summer 2022, I'm going to be a sophomore at Clemson this year majoring in mechanical engineering. I've lived in upstate sc all my life and I want to see some more of the country.

I've been looking at Boise, Idaho and Cedar Rapids, Iowa as of late. My plan is to either stay in a campground or maybe find a local track with a hookup where I could exchange some labor/track help for rent.

Anyways I'm just looking for some ideas, and if there are any other fellow mechanical engineers out there help a brother out lol, its been harder than I thought it would be to find a good internship.

|
bh
6/28/2021 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 5:10pm
[b]Oak Ridge - Garwin, Iowa[/b]: About 1 hour west of Cedar Rapids [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/28/499757/s1200_th.jpg[/img]

Oak Ridge - Garwin, Iowa: About 1 hour west of Cedar Rapids

I saw that track. Don’t know too much about the scene but Iowa seemed to be pretty good as far as number of places to ride goes.

I’m really looking for cities/areas rather than specific tracks just to be clear.
GabeM
6/28/2021 5:26pm
Palmdale CA

The Shop

bh
6/28/2021 5:57pm
Plenty of engineering opportunities in southern California.
Cali is so expensive. Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough. Seems like it’s triple the cost to live in SoCal than a place like Cedar Rapids. My biggest worry would be getting down there and not being able to pay my living expenses.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
6/28/2021 7:00pm
My company does ME summer interns but in San Diego.
bh
6/28/2021 7:17pm
seth505 wrote:
You think you could pm me some contact info. I looked at San Diego, just didn’t really find anywhere cheap. I though taking an rv or camper down there would be cheap but is 1k+ per month at most campgrounds. Probably could find somewhere cheap if I put my mind to it. Best bet would be probably just renting a room out.
brogge
6/28/2021 8:29pm
What field are you looking to get into? I'm also in San Diego and support intern programs for Mech Eng.
6/29/2021 3:53am
seth505 wrote:
bh wrote:
You think you could pm me some contact info. I looked at San Diego, just didn’t really find anywhere cheap. I though taking an rv or...
You think you could pm me some contact info. I looked at San Diego, just didn’t really find anywhere cheap. I though taking an rv or camper down there would be cheap but is 1k+ per month at most campgrounds. Probably could find somewhere cheap if I put my mind to it. Best bet would be probably just renting a room out.
Renting a room would be cheapest, great way to make friends too if you look for somewhere with like minded people.
Start setting money aside now in preparation for next summer, $50-100 per week or whatever you can afford, that way you won't have to stress as much about living each week on a pay check.

Ive done a couple of winters in SoCal just riding and not working, I spent a lot of time beforehand working out a budget and figuring out how cheap I could live, then just stuck to it. Rent and bike parts were my dearest expense. Tracks are so fun there and you'll meet so many cool people.
bierbower105
6/29/2021 4:04am
Michigan in the summer is tough to beat. Good scene - lots of tracks. Hit a few local nationals as well.

Baja Acres
Red Bud
Ironman
Millville

Martin, Supercoop are two week day spots depending where you stay.
wwoberg
6/29/2021 4:37am
Don't know about currently, but in the past Durhamtown use to have a number of workers bartering for RV space and ride time. Don't know the details.

I'm a ME also, but don't have any intern connections.
pelosi826
Fantasy
2549th
6/29/2021 4:40am
Upstate NY is a hidden gem for tracks to ride. I work at BorgWarner in Ithaca as a test engineer. From my location there are a number of tracks to hit up in an hour ride:

Broome (sucks but closest)
Frozen Ocean
Miles Mountain
Jacksons Pumpkin Farm
Cato MX
Hogback Hill
Whitetail MX
MotoMasters MX

Within a 2 hour ride theres a good 15-20 tracks near us. BorgWarner does Co-Ops if interested.
bh
6/29/2021 4:47am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2021 4:49am
brogge wrote:
What field are you looking to get into? I'm also in San Diego and support intern programs for Mech Eng.
I’m not too well versed on the different fields of ME so forgive me if I sound like a moron. The aerospace stuff has always caught my eye, because it always seems to be the more cutting edge technology. I’m not too keen on anything chemical and I don’t really know how to feel about the electronic stuff. Maybe I just don’t really know the ins and outs of it enough to make an opinion.

I started using autodesk inventor when I was in 8th grade, so any type of design/development type stuff is what I’ve looked at really so far. But I’m still really figuring out what I can and can’t do with a BS in ME. Really what interest me is getting to design parts, prototype, and I guess stuff to that nature.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/29/2021 5:03am
I don't know about now but Harley used to have a lot of engineering interns. Although not a MX mecca, there are some public riding areas/tracks in WI that are pretty decent and if you find the right people a lot of private tracks. You are a couple hour drive to Millville, Ironman and Red Bud. It can get hot and humid but you are used to that being from the SE.
brogge
6/29/2021 7:57am
bh wrote:
I’m not too well versed on the different fields of ME so forgive me if I sound like a moron. The aerospace stuff has always caught...
I’m not too well versed on the different fields of ME so forgive me if I sound like a moron. The aerospace stuff has always caught my eye, because it always seems to be the more cutting edge technology. I’m not too keen on anything chemical and I don’t really know how to feel about the electronic stuff. Maybe I just don’t really know the ins and outs of it enough to make an opinion.

I started using autodesk inventor when I was in 8th grade, so any type of design/development type stuff is what I’ve looked at really so far. But I’m still really figuring out what I can and can’t do with a BS in ME. Really what interest me is getting to design parts, prototype, and I guess stuff to that nature.
Sounds like me... except I ended up in microelectronics due to where I went to school. 20yrs later and I'm still here. There's actually quite a bit of Mech Eng work being done, especially from the test and characterization side. Think automotive for example: they're packed with electronics that have to survive harsh environments with incredibly strict quality and reliability requirements. Vibration, shock, static and thermal loading, varying boundary conditions... lots of work to do here.

I'll PM you my email address where you can send a resume, and we can keep in touch on potential opportunities. I'm a huge proponent of networking, so regardless of outcome, the connection is valuable.
GabeM
6/29/2021 8:17am
Victorville, CA
DurtyD309
6/29/2021 8:43am
bh wrote:
Like the title says I'm looking for places to intern at summer 2022, I'm going to be a sophomore at Clemson this year majoring in mechanical...
Like the title says I'm looking for places to intern at summer 2022, I'm going to be a sophomore at Clemson this year majoring in mechanical engineering. I've lived in upstate sc all my life and I want to see some more of the country.

I've been looking at Boise, Idaho and Cedar Rapids, Iowa as of late. My plan is to either stay in a campground or maybe find a local track with a hookup where I could exchange some labor/track help for rent.

Anyways I'm just looking for some ideas, and if there are any other fellow mechanical engineers out there help a brother out lol, its been harder than I thought it would be to find a good internship.

I know Yamaha in Kennesaw, GA always hire summer interns. As well as Yamaha Motor Manufacturing company in Newnan, GA hires summer interns as well in the Product Development Department.
6/29/2021 10:03am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2021 10:12am
bh wrote:
Like the title says I'm looking for places to intern at summer 2022, I'm going to be a sophomore at Clemson this year majoring in mechanical...

If you come to Cedar Rapids let me know. I have a room I could rent you if things work out. I'm a M.E. in town and we have a good group of dudes who ride and are no slouch and some killer private tracks and an OHV track with a really fun sand track. My email is chasestevenson199@gmail.com if you want to talk.

Since you said you are interested in aerospace I presume you are looking at Rockwell Collins, they employ a ton of people in town and it seems like a great place to work from those I know that work there. Cedar Rapids is an extremely cheap place to live. I've lived here my entire life and can help with any questions you may have.

NeedMoto
6/29/2021 11:45am
If your preference is mainly moto, take Boise Idaho off your list. Off-road is another story, really good riding for that.
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1232nd
6/29/2021 1:07pm
SoCal for sure would be top of the list, plenty of places for an internship, lots of quality tracks and places to ride, decent weather, and you wont get bored after just a couple days.

As for being more expensive... if you are planning on living in a camper at or near one of the tracks it will probably cost about the same as anywhere else in the country. renting a room also a good option, plenty of time to make some moto friends and plan out next summer.
dboivin
6/29/2021 1:11pm
remember michigan has probably one of the best trail systems in the states...and some iconic moto tracks (great dirt)
TEL36
6/29/2021 1:41pm
Check out Boeing in STL, i know they have been hiring a lot recently and several options for moto in the area. Not sure on a place to park the camper.
garasaki
6/29/2021 1:52pm
bh wrote:

If you come to Cedar Rapids let me know. I have a room I could rent you if things work out. I'm a M.E. in town...
If you come to Cedar Rapids let me know. I have a room I could rent you if things work out. I'm a M.E. in town and we have a good group of dudes who ride and are no slouch and some killer private tracks and an OHV track with a really fun sand track. My email is chasestevenson199@gmail.com if you want to talk.

Since you said you are interested in aerospace I presume you are looking at Rockwell Collins, they employ a ton of people in town and it seems like a great place to work from those I know that work there. Cedar Rapids is an extremely cheap place to live. I've lived here my entire life and can help with any questions you may have.

Another ME from CR here. It's a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit here LOL

I wouldn't exactly call CR a moto-mecca, but for a guy spending a summer here - you won't get bored. Especially if you are willing to make a 2 hour drive somewhere - there are a crap-ton of places within a 2 hour radius. Bring your mountain bike, and same thing applies - if you are willing to drive 2 hours, you could ride a different MX place every weekend, and a different mountain bike trail every week, never hitting the same patch of dirt twice.

It gets a smidge stale if you are from here, but....

Cost of living is low, there are things to do if you look for em (that are cheap even), the weather is generally not prohibitive April - October, the mosquitoes don't look like birds, you can watch F35's fly over Kinnick from that sand track in the football season, it's a reasonable drive to several AMA National races, the food and beer here is wonderful, not much to be afraid of, and the people are not pretentious asshats.

The same is probably true for several of the options that have come up here. Travel while you are young!!!
bh
6/29/2021 6:02pm
NeedMoto wrote:
If your preference is mainly moto, take Boise Idaho off your list. Off-road is another story, really good riding for that.
What kind of off-road riding is there out there? I planned on taking 2 bikes moto and a woods/off-road bike. Is it like rough desert tracks? Mountain single track?
GabeM
6/29/2021 6:08pm
Bakersfield, CA is a good one for chemical engineering and the BAKO hills are for real. last time I was there some freestyle dude was living the hills in a trailer and had a shipping container as a garage for the bikes.
bh
6/29/2021 6:10pm
dboivin wrote:
remember michigan has probably one of the best trail systems in the states...and some iconic moto tracks (great dirt)
Yea I saw that it looks insane. I’m gonna keep looking but from what I’ve seen all the industry/jobs are in the lower part of the state and all the cool ohv trails are in the upper part of the state which is kind of a bummer. The place looks like an insane dual sport spot with all those ohv trails.
6/29/2021 7:49pm
Textron Aviation in Wichita (Cessna/Beechcraft/military), or bell helicopter in dallas/ft worth.
NeedMoto
6/29/2021 8:18pm
NeedMoto wrote:
bh wrote:
What kind of off-road riding is there out there? I planned on taking 2 bikes moto and a woods/off-road bike. Is it like rough desert tracks...
What kind of off-road riding is there out there? I planned on taking 2 bikes moto and a woods/off-road bike. Is it like rough desert tracks? Mountain single track?
Well... if your bringing both bikes, then your good to go. Outstanding single track, this area is known for that, with nice elevation changes in the woods. Or lot's of open desert as well if your looking for a 5th gear pinned rush.

A few moto tracks within 30 minutes of Boise. A couple that are 15-20 minutes away. A few more if your willing to drive 1.5-2 hours.

OMC racing mx has yearly unlimited memberships. You can moto there 7 days a week if you want, although it's not always prepped. Youtube it, and Skyline mx just to give yourself an idea.
dboivin
6/29/2021 8:31pm
dboivin wrote:
bh wrote:
Yea I saw that it looks insane. I’m gonna keep looking but from what I’ve seen all the industry/jobs are in the lower part of the...
Yea I saw that it looks insane. I’m gonna keep looking but from what I’ve seen all the industry/jobs are in the lower part of the state and all the cool ohv trails are in the upper part of the state which is kind of a bummer. The place looks like an insane dual sport spot with all those ohv trails.
its not bad. i live in saginaw and can be on trail system in about 45 minutes drive north. 1.5hrs to really good ones. we drive 4-6hrs every weekend during winter for powder riding sleds. you get used to it.

engineers in hot demand here. should be easy finding job.
TeamGreen
6/30/2021 9:00am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 9:01am
Pssst…
Here, in the Marxist State of Kalifornia…we’ve got LOTS of places to ride…
(that’s a 25 Mille “GPS trail run” where I was checking out & marking trail for an upcoming adventure ride just north-east of Yosemite at altitude 6200-9200).
Yup…I can’t believe I’m saying it; but, you could have a helluva summer out here and you could intern at all sorts of Moto-Co’s from San Diego on the south to Yreka in the north.
Good luck!

Post a reply to: Good summer riding destinations? Looking for places to intern at next summer (mechanical engineer)

The Latest