Good deal for a 2010 yz250f?

toostroke
6/11/2019 8:54am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2019 12:27pm
Found this on Facebook today and was wondering if it’s a good deal or not? He’s done regular maintenance like oil, filter, etc and trail ridden. Said “he’s not original owner and had it for a year and didn’t rebuild the engine but it’s ready to ride.” Also he has a fmf power core 2 pipe and I got him down to $2400. I’ll post a video of it running and more clear pics of the engine tonight . Please also confirm if it’s a 2010 or not. Thanks!

|
kb228
6/11/2019 8:55am
Wouldnt say its a “good” deal. 2400 is about the correct market price for that bike.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/11/2019 8:56am
It's for sure between 2010-2013. If there is no history of a known rebuild, I'd rip it apart before ever riding it and do a full rebuild. I can't and won't trust a used bike, especially a used 250f
toostroke
6/11/2019 9:16am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
It's for sure between 2010-2013. If there is no history of a known rebuild, I'd rip it apart before ever riding it and do a full...
It's for sure between 2010-2013. If there is no history of a known rebuild, I'd rip it apart before ever riding it and do a full rebuild. I can't and won't trust a used bike, especially a used 250f
I wasn’t planning on doing one if so should I leave it? He said it has good compression but will check myself
seventeen
6/11/2019 9:19am
I remember people modding those bikes with the 2009 YZ450 motor to get away from the bad handling 2010 YZ450...
Personally I would pay no more than $2000for that bike. My opening negotiation would be more like $1700...

The Shop

.kyle
6/11/2019 9:22am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
It's for sure between 2010-2013. If there is no history of a known rebuild, I'd rip it apart before ever riding it and do a full...
IIRC they changed the frame slightly for 2012 and the frame spars just above the footpegs were thicker. This is slimmer so would imply it's a 2010 or 2011.
toostroke
6/11/2019 9:46am
seventeen wrote:
I remember people modding those bikes with the 2009 YZ450 motor to get away from the bad handling 2010 YZ450... Personally I would pay no more...
I remember people modding those bikes with the 2009 YZ450 motor to get away from the bad handling 2010 YZ450...
Personally I would pay no more than $2000for that bike. My opening negotiation would be more like $1700...
He listed it for 3000 at first brought him down 600 I don’t know why bikes are expensive here you wouldn’t be able to find a 125 for 1700
Question
6/11/2019 10:04am
A 250f that is non modified and was in not too abusing hands MUST be rebuilt every 50 to 100 hours MAX. Afterwards, it can blow at any time, and when it blows, most of the time the whole engine can go to the bean (cases, cylinder, crank, rod, gearbox). Externally that bike looks great, but don't fool yourself, there is probably a good $1500 to put for maintenance if you don't do it yourself. Again if you don't do it yourself, I would not touch it unless it is 1000, because for the 2400 asked + the 1500 that the bike needs, you can find a 2018 suzuki somewhere that has 25 hours on it since new, or like a 250yzf 2014-2017 that has been maintained and with full history.

Last but not least, just for your own safety, don't ride, especially don't jump, on a bike, particularly a 9 years old 250 4 stroke, if you don't know how many hours there is on the engine. I almost died 3 times because of catastrophic failures on the road (broken clamp, broken ABS/front right caliper, flat/exploded tire due to broken exhaust), I managed to go through because i have been riding since i was 3 years old but also thanks to a huge luck, so I prefer to tell you to treat these machines as machines, not just toys.

Good luck and don't worry, you will find a good one.
6/11/2019 10:10am
There’s no good deal for a ten year old 250f..
yak651
Fantasy
168th
6/11/2019 10:15am
seventeen wrote:
I remember people modding those bikes with the 2009 YZ450 motor to get away from the bad handling 2010 YZ450... Personally I would pay no more...
toostroke wrote:
He listed it for 3000 at first brought him down 600 I don’t know why bikes are expensive here you wouldn’t be able to find a...
He listed it for 3000 at first brought him down 600 I don’t know why bikes are expensive here you wouldn’t be able to find a 125 for 1700
A used 125 WILL bring more money than an almost 10 year old 250F. Like said above there is no way I would pay more than $2k for a used 250F that old.
JCU927
6/11/2019 10:22am
Don’t do it
Texas Built
6/11/2019 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 3:15pm
I would trust 0 of what any Craigslist seller tells you. Bare minimum any used bike I would automatically plan on a whole new top end no matter what they say. If its owned by a teenager, plan on a full rebuild. The fact is teens don't have money to pay shops to do work, they don't have money to buy the proper tools and no interest in buying expensive shop manuals, expensive tools. All work will be half ass and bare minimum, Home Depot bolts, etc.

Nothing is cheap about cheap bikes.

Go watch 2vintage Youtube channel. Teen kids who hack up bikes and sells them. His "compression test" is he stick his finger in the plug hole and pushes on the kicker. If it creates pressure in his finger he says "good compression".

He had a CR250 and the lower crank bearing blew up and spit the needles into the cylinder. His fix was to just have the cylinder replated and slap it back together and sell it. He said "runs smooth and crispy". Yeaaaa probably pretty smooth with no needles in the lower rod bearing.

This is the face palm madness you are buying when you buy used.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/11/2019 2:44pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
toostroke wrote:
I wasn’t planning on doing one if so should I leave it? He said it has good compression but will check myself
Honestly man, if you don't plan on or don't want to rebuild anything, you should save up until you can get a brand new left over from a dealer or a very very lightly used newer bike. Too many horror stories of guys buying used bikes and just riding them or throwing a new top end in and loading the crank turning into a big kaboom!

Buying used- plan on a full rebuild. $2000-$2500 for bike + $2000 at least for a rebuild = $4500
Buy new left over RMZ or KX250 = $5500
yz133rider
6/11/2019 4:58pm
That bike looks well used. Keep looking.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
6/11/2019 10:17pm
never trust a bike that has pictures taken right after being washed/ still wet/ with the power washer in the photo. they always look way better when wet/ right after cleaning.
Question
6/12/2019 6:38am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 6:39am
Hi !

I searched quickly and this add was posted yesterday. You may be lucky, for your budget I would give it a go, that bike doesn't look very abused, the price is pretty good, and maybe try to negotiate a bit to make sure you can change the piston / control the rod / possibly change the rod / and preferably change the crank bearings. The bad news would be to have to replate the cylinder (nickasil), but that bikes doesn't look like it has 400 hours on it, the stock pipe is not even bent. Plus whatever happens you won't lose much money.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/d/union-city-2008-yz-125/6909254…

I would check this one asap.
toostroke
6/12/2019 7:06am
Question wrote:
Hi ! I searched quickly and this add was posted yesterday. You may be lucky, for your budget I would give it a go, that bike...
Hi !

I searched quickly and this add was posted yesterday. You may be lucky, for your budget I would give it a go, that bike doesn't look very abused, the price is pretty good, and maybe try to negotiate a bit to make sure you can change the piston / control the rod / possibly change the rod / and preferably change the crank bearings. The bad news would be to have to replate the cylinder (nickasil), but that bikes doesn't look like it has 400 hours on it, the stock pipe is not even bent. Plus whatever happens you won't lose much money.

That’s a sweet deal but the bikes 2 hours away and near New York which I’m not willing to buy because of the wheelie guys
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
6/12/2019 7:07am
Question wrote:
Hi ! I searched quickly and this add was posted yesterday. You may be lucky, for your budget I would give it a go, that bike...
Hi !

bad news would be replating the cylinder!? rebuilding crank/ entire motor is far worse. and the pipe is dented, did you even look at the pictures?
Question
6/12/2019 7:26am
Question wrote:
Hi !

soggy wrote:
bad news would be replating the cylinder!? rebuilding crank/ entire motor is far worse. and the pipe is dented, did you even look at the pictures?
Replating is usually on top of the rebuilding process anyway, so yeah it would be an additional 300 bucks including shipping. It takes about 4 to 8 rods and as many bearings to be obliged to replate the cylinder.

About the pipe, sorry I didn't look at the pictures into details, I just opened them full screen for the first time, indeed the pipe looks more damaged than i saw in the small pictures ; but that pipe still look ok, i have seen far worse, like 5 times air compressed pipes and with bents everywhere, on bikes that were only a few months old.
Cali
6/12/2019 7:28am
toostroke wrote:
Found this on Facebook today and was wondering if it’s a good deal or not? He’s done regular maintenance like oil, filter, etc and trail ridden...
Found this on Facebook today and was wondering if it’s a good deal or not? He’s done regular maintenance like oil, filter, etc and trail ridden. Said “he’s not original owner and had it for a year and didn’t rebuild the engine but it’s ready to ride.” Also he has a fmf power core 2 pipe and I got him down to $2400. I’ll post a video of it running and more clear pics of the engine tonight . Please also confirm if it’s a 2010 or not. Thanks!

Buy a YZ250 2 stroke. Trust me stay away from that. That bikes not worth $1700 around here. As others have said it’s a 10 yr old 4 stroke. I’d bet money it’s ready for a $1500 overhaul. But if you do buy it, I have parts. There is a reason why, 95% of the bikes I part out are NOT 2 strokes.
Question
6/12/2019 7:34am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 7:42am
Question wrote:
Hi !

toostroke wrote:
That’s a sweet deal but the bikes 2 hours away and near New York which I’m not willing to buy because of the wheelie guys
The day taken to buy a good bike is worth it, you may end up paying 400-500 more for the same bike and you may still need to travel half a day.

The bike and the add don't smell wheelie boy at all, but you are 100% right to be careful, wherever it is, so as other people mentioned the best is to meet at a police station. If the seller is ok with that, it is a good sign.

Otherwise:
this one is good, but the price is quite different
https://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lititz-2012-yz-125/6892501228.ht…

And this one is far too:
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/new-milford-2005-yz125-yz-125/69…
Cali
6/12/2019 7:34am
Question wrote:
Hi !

That’s a good buy right there
toostroke
6/12/2019 7:46am
More pics.i can’t find nothing else for cheaper and I got a tight budget so it’s hard to find a nice clean bike.i saw the video he sent it runs good and don’t see any damage with the engine

yak651
Fantasy
168th
6/12/2019 7:49am
Question wrote:
Hi !

toostroke wrote:
Yeah if you are not willing to get some window time you are most likely going to regret buying the roached out bikes near you. People are being very helpful (surprise Vital people can be nice!), but believe you are going to end up buying a bike you'll regret because it's close by and has a nice graphic kit on it.
toostroke
6/12/2019 8:04am
yak651 wrote:
Yeah if you are not willing to get some window time you are most likely going to regret buying the roached out bikes near you. People...
Yeah if you are not willing to get some window time you are most likely going to regret buying the roached out bikes near you. People are being very helpful (surprise Vital people can be nice!), but believe you are going to end up buying a bike you'll regret because it's close by and has a nice graphic kit on it.
Alright I’ll look into the 2012 yz125 and forget about this one
Question
6/12/2019 11:34am
yak651 wrote:
Yeah if you are not willing to get some window time you are most likely going to regret buying the roached out bikes near you. People...
toostroke wrote:
The 2012 seems to be a really good one (maybe try like 2400-2500), with even stock seat cover and there are nice parts.

But I am not sure it is really in your budget today if you include the maintenance that will be required quite soon. I am sorry to bother you, but although a relatively fresh piston as advertised is a good start, how many hours have the rod and the crank bearings ? If it is the stock rod, how many hours has the bike in total, 50, 100 ? So what if the rod break within 2 or 5 hours and explode your engine cases ? (plus cylinder, crank, rod, piston, bearings, and half of the gearbox = minimum 1500) And what medical bills will it make if a catastrophic failure hurt you ?

It is always an issue when buying a bike that is not own by the first owner. A first owner paid the bike in full also for that peace of mind, treated it most of the time really well, and kept a clean history of the bike. The more owners, the more risky it is, and the more approximative the maintenance has been.

If a seller doesn't give you all the maintenance bills, and that the rod/crank bearings have not been done in the past 30 or 50 hours (about a year, and about 20-30 hours max for a piston), ride carefully and don't jump, until you saved enough to do the preventive maintenance. Don't rev the bike too much either.

So far the one at 1900 seems to be more reasonable, because you can do the $6-700 maintenance immediately (about 120 vertex piston, 120 yamaha rod, 50 to put the rod on the crank, 90 bearings + orings, 2 to 300 labor + 10 oil) (+ 2 fresh tires pretty soon, and possibly more like brake pads, swingarm/linkage bearings, chain kit?)

That said, if you have enough for the 2012 and plan to save to do the preventive maintenance soon, for sure go for it ! It looks like a clean bike so you may not find many that are much better ! And both bikes will keep a good value around $2000+ if you continue to maintain it well, which will help you to buy another bike if you want to change in a couple of years.

Last but not least, for future buys, as advised by other members, never ever buy a bike because of plastics, graphics, and little anodized parts. History first, it is a mean machine! And for information, a quick way to make a roached bike that has been raced hard looks like new is to put a new plastic kit, new graphics/seat cover, 2 fresh tires, 2 pair of pads, a chain kit, grease the swingarm/linkage bearings, and a pair of new grips ($400 and it looks like new). But if you look into details, sometimes on top of no low engine maintenance (just a fresh piston for the sell), you see a welded frame, welded cases leaking oil, welded swingarms near the chain guide, bent and welded subframes near the silencer, rims that have been welded and/or that are massively impacted by rocks and/or that is oval with like 5 flats, 1 broken spring if you open the fork, a 200 hours rear springs, and superbly bent and unbent radiators, etc etc. But the bike externally, at 1 meter, looks brand new ! Wink
yz133rider
6/12/2019 11:51am
toostroke wrote:
More pics.i can’t find nothing else for cheaper and I got a tight budget so it’s hard to find a nice clean bike.i saw the video...
More pics.i can’t find nothing else for cheaper and I got a tight budget so it’s hard to find a nice clean bike.i saw the video he sent it runs good and don’t see any damage with the engine

The engine covers say to me the bike has well ovet 100 hrs on it. That bikes a hard pass from me. Patience and youll find the same bike in the same price range with 10hrs on it instead of 100+. When your on a budget patience really is your best bet.
Question
6/12/2019 11:54am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 12:09pm
Question wrote:
Hi !

Cali wrote:
That’s a good buy right there
I just re read the add and looked more closely at the pictures, and for sure it is not a wheelie boy ! And when the swingarm is like that, with even the warning sticker on it, I would say he has 2 really really nice bikes to choose from. The fact that 2 nices bikes are available should help to negotiate very gently (don't low ball a good seller otherwise he may end up not selling at all Wink ).

You know, you are "a polite and well presented student passionate about mx", you have 1700 cash in hands, or 2400 in hands, etc, but never low ball something that is already a bargain from a honest and nice seller. Maybe bring a 6 pack of beer and a cake, that will help to make the papers Smile

I hope you will post pictures soon, for instance with the new polysport plastic kit (that makes the bike 2016 something)

I think with these 2 you will thank us later !
yak651
Fantasy
168th
6/12/2019 11:55am
yak651 wrote:
toostroke wrote:
Not trying to be mean, just trying to help. If you haven't used it yet, searchtempest.com, enter your zip code and search for the bikes you want or just enter Yamaha yz and it'll come up with all the yz and yzf models 500 miles from your zip code on craigslist. I use this all the time, but I'm also willing to drive 2-3 hours for good deals.
Question
6/12/2019 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 12:07pm
toostroke wrote:
More pics.i can’t find nothing else for cheaper and I got a tight budget so it’s hard to find a nice clean bike.i saw the video...

yz133rider wrote:
The engine covers say to me the bike has well ovet 100 hrs on it. That bikes a hard pass from me. Patience and youll find...
The engine covers say to me the bike has well ovet 100 hrs on it. That bikes a hard pass from me. Patience and youll find the same bike in the same price range with 10hrs on it instead of 100+. When your on a budget patience really is your best bet.
Exactly. It is a good and reliable engine, and a nice bike to ride, but it is definitely asking for a good $1500 maintenance like most bikes for these years. 1200, why not taking the risk, otherwise it is a big no no.

For instance I bought 2 about 5 years ago to make AF conversions.

The one running, I bought it 1800. Used it in the woods 2 hours for fun making turns, blow the ignition, sold the engine 800. There is a reason why people call 250 4 stroke ticking bomb. The 2nd one I got for 1000 had a blown engine (cases, cylinder, crank, rod, piston, and half of the gearbox) full of special parts (ex Maxime Desprey), and 5 years later I still have a vortex and half of the gear box to sell ...
WW444
6/12/2019 12:15pm
Stay away from that roach.

Post a reply to: Good deal for a 2010 yz250f?

The Latest