Good alternative to Dunlop MX33?

PNWRider
Hello All,
I am getting ready to order a spare rear tire or two for my 450. I comes stock with MX33’s and I really like this tire for my go-to track conditions, and it’s what I would run prior to this bike.

Unfortunately, as most are aware, these are backordered seemingly everywhere.

Anyone have experience with a tire that’s available that is comparable in terms of performance for similar conditions (soft-intermediate)?

Thanks in advance.
|
Cygrace74
6/17/2021 7:24am
Michelin Starcross Soft is best I've found
wydopen
6/17/2021 7:43am
Id try a hoosier if you haven't already
Moto520
6/17/2021 8:03am
There was a thread about this recently.....seems that the consensus was the Michelin Starcross medium.

The Shop

SCC
6/17/2021 9:27am
I’m switching to Hoosier after being on Dunlops for 10 years. Great company, super light weight, great reviews and they put their logo on the tires so also best looking.
Mayo513
6/17/2021 9:30am
Starcross Medium or Maxxis Maxcross SI?
6/17/2021 10:56am
PNWRider wrote:
Hello All, I am getting ready to order a spare rear tire or two for my 450. I comes stock with MX33’s and I really like...
Hello All,
I am getting ready to order a spare rear tire or two for my 450. I comes stock with MX33’s and I really like this tire for my go-to track conditions, and it’s what I would run prior to this bike.

Anyone have experience with a tire that’s available that is comparable in terms of performance for similar conditions (soft-intermediate)?

Thanks in advance.
MX33 rears for 450 are showing in stock at RMATVMC.
sandtrack315
6/17/2021 11:32am
Pirelli MX32 mid-soft works well for me at Budds Creek, Southwick, NJ pits.
Lynch
6/17/2021 11:38am
Another vote for Pirelli MX32 Midsofts, best I have used and tried all of them but Hoosier. They don't last as good as Bridgestones but for a race they can't be beat.
PNWRider
6/17/2021 1:07pm
PNWRider wrote:
Hello All, I am getting ready to order a spare rear tire or two for my 450. I comes stock with MX33’s and I really like...
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
Thanks! Picked one up.

Thanks to all the responses.

Based on the info here I may try the Pirellis in the future-have the fronts been as good as the rears?

I haven’t run anything but Dunlop (other than when KX’s came with Bridgestone) the entire time I’ve been riding.
Zeke27G
6/17/2021 1:36pm

Anyone still having issues with chunking rear knobs on the Starcross 5's?

wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/17/2021 2:01pm
PNWRider wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
PNWRider wrote:
Thanks! Picked one up. Thanks to all the responses. Based on the info here I may try the Pirellis in the future-have the fronts been as...
Thanks! Picked one up.

Based on the info here I may try the Pirellis in the future-have the fronts been as good as the rears?

I haven’t run anything but Dunlop (other than when KX’s came with Bridgestone) the entire time I’ve been riding.
The Pirelli mid soft front is good too. It is super easy to install too.
tek14
6/17/2021 2:07pm
Zeke27G wrote:

Starcross sand tyre loosing knobs after couple rides. Did get them cheaper but going back to Dunlop/Pirelli next time.
Zeke27G
6/17/2021 2:11pm
tek14 wrote:
Starcross sand tyre loosing knobs after couple rides. Did get them cheaper but going back to Dunlop/Pirelli next time.

Had it happen several times with their medium rear, so I switched to Bridgestone X30/X40's.
Zeke27G
6/17/2021 2:54pm
Zeke27G wrote:

You need a harder tyre for your ground conditions by The sound of it.

Negatory mate, these were being used in intermediate type MX track terrain, and mostly on vintage 2 strokes that aren't making near the HP of a modern 450. My local shop warrantied a couple of them, but the 3rd time was the final straw.
navalseabee
6/17/2021 3:35pm
I recently picked up a set of the new tusk tires (price was too good not to try), I was very surprised by their performance. I think it's worth 100 bucks to try them and see for yourself. To this point I've ridden Budds creek (mid-hard), West craven (deep sand) and ECMX (sand-mid).
wydopen
6/18/2021 4:24am
Curious if the guys recommending starcross5 softs have ridden Hoosiers and prefer the Michelin? I haven’t tried the starcross yet and after trying the Hoosiers it’s hard to imagine they are better. Wear on the Hoosiers has been very good for me also but I’m on a 2stroke on soft conditions.
Spooner
6/18/2021 5:12am
wydopen wrote:
Curious if the guys recommending starcross5 softs have ridden Hoosiers and prefer the Michelin? I haven’t tried the starcross yet and after trying the Hoosiers it’s...
Curious if the guys recommending starcross5 softs have ridden Hoosiers and prefer the Michelin? I haven’t tried the starcross yet and after trying the Hoosiers it’s hard to imagine they are better. Wear on the Hoosiers has been very good for me also but I’m on a 2stroke on soft conditions.
The soft is amazing as long as it’s truly soft conditions. The knobs are pretty hard so they spin on hard pack but they work exceptionally well in the soft stuff. I mostly run the medium because they still work great in soft conditions but also work in intermediate to harder terrain too.
the kid 857
6/18/2021 6:13am
PNWRider wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
PNWRider wrote:
Thanks! Picked one up. Thanks to all the responses. Based on the info here I may try the Pirellis in the future-have the fronts been as...
Thanks! Picked one up.

I have run Dunlops on my bike for 15 years. Tried a set of the Pirellis MX32s MIdsofts and have never looked back. The rear has the same feeling as a Dunlop But the front is hands down the best tire I have run. Supper responsive and can grip and cut in anywhere. Down side is they don't last as long as a Dunlop 10-14 hours, 8-10 hours on the Pirellis. You have to run 14 PSI. Tire will crack or chunk knobs if you don't.

Post a reply to: Good alternative to Dunlop MX33?

The Latest