Good alternative to Dunlop MX33?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/17/2021 7:22 AM

Hello All,
I am getting ready to order a spare rear tire or two for my 450. I comes stock with MX33’s and I really like this tire for my go-to track conditions, and it’s what I would run prior to this bike.

Unfortunately, as most are aware, these are backordered seemingly everywhere.

Anyone have experience with a tire that’s available that is comparable in terms of performance for similar conditions (soft-intermediate)?

Thanks in advance.

|

6/17/2021 7:24 AM

Michelin Starcross Soft is best I've found

|

6/17/2021 7:43 AM

Id try a hoosier if you haven't already

|

6/17/2021 8:03 AM

There was a thread about this recently.....seems that the consensus was the Michelin Starcross medium.

|

6/17/2021 8:09 AM

Pirelli MX32 all the way

|

6/17/2021 8:21 AM

I second the Pirelli MX32.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

6/17/2021 9:27 AM

I’m switching to Hoosier after being on Dunlops for 10 years. Great company, super light weight, great reviews and they put their logo on the tires so also best looking.

|

6/17/2021 9:30 AM

Starcross Medium or Maxxis Maxcross SI?

|

6/17/2021 10:04 AM

|

6/17/2021 10:56 AM

PNWRider wrote:

Hello All,
I am getting ready to order a spare rear tire or two for my 450. I comes stock with MX33’s and I really like this ...more

MX33 rears for 450 are showing in stock at RMATVMC.

|

6/17/2021 11:32 AM

Pirelli MX32 mid-soft works well for me at Budds Creek, Southwick, NJ pits.

|

6/17/2021 11:38 AM

Another vote for Pirelli MX32 Midsofts, best I have used and tried all of them but Hoosier. They don't last as good as Bridgestones but for a race they can't be beat.

|

6/17/2021 1:07 PM

PNWRider wrote:

Hello All,
I am getting ready to order a spare rear tire or two for my 450. I comes stock with MX33’s and I really like this ...more

RoflCopter726 wrote:

Thanks! Picked one up.

Thanks to all the responses.

Based on the info here I may try the Pirellis in the future-have the fronts been as good as the rears?

I haven’t run anything but Dunlop (other than when KX’s came with Bridgestone) the entire time I’ve been riding.

|

6/17/2021 1:33 PM

Michelin star cross medium or soft

|

6/17/2021 1:36 PM

Anyone still having issues with chunking rear knobs on the Starcross 5's?

|

Do It In The Dirt!

6/17/2021 2:01 PM

PNWRider wrote:

Hello All,

RoflCopter726 wrote:

PNWRider wrote:

Thanks! Picked one up.

Based on the info here I may try the Pirellis in the future-have the ...more

The Pirelli mid soft front is good too. It is super easy to install too.

|

6/17/2021 2:07 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

Starcross sand tyre loosing knobs after couple rides. Did get them cheaper but going back to Dunlop/Pirelli next time.

|

6/17/2021 2:11 PM

tek14 wrote:

Starcross sand tyre loosing knobs after couple rides. Did get them cheaper but going back to Dunlop/Pirelli next time.

Had it happen several times with their medium rear, so I switched to Bridgestone X30/X40's.
|

Do It In The Dirt!

6/17/2021 2:40 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

You need a harder tyre for your ground conditions by The sound of it.

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

6/17/2021 2:54 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

You need a harder tyre for your ground conditions by The sound of it.

Negatory mate, these were being used in intermediate type MX track terrain, and mostly on vintage 2 strokes that aren't making near the HP of a modern 450. My local shop warrantied a couple of them, but the 3rd time was the final straw.
|

Do It In The Dirt!

6/17/2021 3:35 PM

I recently picked up a set of the new tusk tires (price was too good not to try), I was very surprised by their performance. I think it's worth 100 bucks to try them and see for yourself. To this point I've ridden Budds creek (mid-hard), West craven (deep sand) and ECMX (sand-mid).

|

6/18/2021 4:24 AM

Curious if the guys recommending starcross5 softs have ridden Hoosiers and prefer the Michelin? I haven’t tried the starcross yet and after trying the Hoosiers it’s hard to imagine they are better. Wear on the Hoosiers has been very good for me also but I’m on a 2stroke on soft conditions.

|

6/18/2021 5:12 AM

wydopen wrote:

Curious if the guys recommending starcross5 softs have ridden Hoosiers and prefer the Michelin? I haven’t tried the starcross ...more

The soft is amazing as long as it’s truly soft conditions. The knobs are pretty hard so they spin on hard pack but they work exceptionally well in the soft stuff. I mostly run the medium because they still work great in soft conditions but also work in intermediate to harder terrain too.

|

6/18/2021 6:13 AM

PNWRider wrote:

Hello All,

RoflCopter726 wrote:

PNWRider wrote:

Thanks! Picked one up.

Based on the info here I may try the Pirellis in the future-have the ...more

I have run Dunlops on my bike for 15 years. Tried a set of the Pirellis MX32s MIdsofts and have never looked back. The rear has the same feeling as a Dunlop But the front is hands down the best tire I have run. Supper responsive and can grip and cut in anywhere. Down side is they don't last as long as a Dunlop 10-14 hours, 8-10 hours on the Pirellis. You have to run 14 PSI. Tire will crack or chunk knobs if you don't.

|