Good Bar Setups for 16+ KTMs

ThatOneKid
Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 3:10am
I just got a 2017 KTM 150 and am looking for a different set of bars. The stock bend isn't terrible, but I've always preferred a crossbar on my bars. I am looking for what bars/bends work well with the new ktm chassis. I am 5'11 if that helps at all. I always had renthal 7/8s on past bikes (last bike i had was in 2008) and have considered the renthal twinwalls, but am worried about the vibration. I do know KTM added rubber mounts for 17 so maybe that will help with any vibration some. Either way, looking for some recommendations on what others have found works well.

Thanks

Collin
|
mxb2
4/24/2017 7:08pm
Mika, crf kxf oem bend . I put them on my 16.5 ktm 450fe. I m 6 2
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
4/24/2017 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2017 7:10pm
Get a set of TwinWalls (I use 997/ RC bend) and cut the cross bar on half (under the pad)

This is what several of the race teams have done in the past. There are other bars that cone with a sleeve over the split, so they can move when the bars flex.
mxb2
4/24/2017 7:14pm
langhammx wrote:
Get a set of TwinWalls (I use 997/ RC bend) and cut the cross bar on half (under the pad) This is what several of the...
Get a set of TwinWalls (I use 997/ RC bend) and cut the cross bar on half (under the pad)

This is what several of the race teams have done in the past. There are other bars that cone with a sleeve over the split, so they can move when the bars flex.
Odi,pro taper also

The Shop

Panic_Rev
4/24/2017 7:14pm
langhammx wrote:
Get a set of TwinWalls (I use 997/ RC bend) and cut the cross bar on half (under the pad) This is what several of the...

Or buy protapers fuzion bars and if you crash you want have two spears from the cross bar being cut. That would make me nervous.

ThatOneKid
4/24/2017 8:10pm
langhammx wrote:

Panic_Rev wrote:
Or buy protapers fuzion bars and if you crash you want have two spears from the cross bar being cut. That would make me nervous.

The idea of two spears worries me, do the twinwalls vibrate that badly? Pro Taper Fuzions are pretty interesting as well, gonna give those and the ODI's a look.
swtwtwtw
4/24/2017 8:18pm
langhammx wrote:

x2 up to this year.... for new husky i put on the protaper RC low bend, wow feels like a 721/997 but fits the ergos of the new husky. i am a stickler for bars btw.
BobPA
4/24/2017 8:22pm
Twinwall 999 or 666 upside down Cool . They are the Mcgrath/Short bend and are very close to the OEM KTM bar. You will not notice any vibration issues with twinwalls...
Digger29
4/25/2017 8:23am
MIKA MC bend. It's taller and straighter than the stock bend. They're not as stiff as Twinwalls are and there's more room on the bars for the map switch, e start and kill switch buttons and hand guards. Sorry for the crappy cell pic it's just to give you an idea. They're at least 5mm taller than the stock bar and have a crossbar which I want as well.

BobPA
4/25/2017 8:29am
Digger29 wrote:
MIKA MC bend. It's taller and straighter than the stock bend. They're not as stiff as Twinwalls are and there's more room on the bars for...
MIKA MC bend. It's taller and straighter than the stock bend. They're not as stiff as Twinwalls are and there's more room on the bars for the map switch, e start and kill switch buttons and hand guards. Sorry for the crappy cell pic it's just to give you an idea. They're at least 5mm taller than the stock bar and have a crossbar which I want as well.

Twinwalls have a very limited amount of space on the bars for all the controls...Especially for guys, like me, that use handguards at all times
Digger29
4/25/2017 9:26am
Digger29 wrote:
MIKA MC bend. It's taller and straighter than the stock bend. They're not as stiff as Twinwalls are and there's more room on the bars for...

BobPA wrote:
Twinwalls have a very limited amount of space on the bars for all the controls...Especially for guys, like me, that use handguards at all times
COMPLETELY agree and it's the only reason that I stopped using them.
Skerby
4/25/2017 11:57am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 12:01pm
Twinwall 921!! Straight, low, and wide!! I really like em, and I have run them on YZ 2 strokes for the last 8 years. The YZs have a solid triple clamp and Im fairly sure the yz250 vibrates more than your 150sx, I could not notice a difference in vibration between these twinwalls and the stock Pro Taper; however, I did notice that the bar was stiffer, you feel the track more if that makes any sense.

Note: I broke two of these bars from crashes that didn't injure me. They hold up better than a 7/8ths bar in a crash but not as well as a fatbar / protaper.

Note 2: I had a chance to ride a 2011 250sx for a day a few years ago, I swapped the twinwalls over and liked them better than the KTM OEM bar. Im 5'11" with normal length arms and torso btw.
Digger29
4/25/2017 5:38pm
I did run the 921's on my first FE450 and they're everything you said and I loved them but there's just not enough room on the bar for all of KTM stuff so I went on Renthal's and Mika's site and did lots of back and forth comparing and I settled on the Mika MC bend. It's a touch taller and is very flat and straight like the 921 Yamaha bend.
4/27/2017 2:44pm
I use Renthal Twinwall 999..... And this is close too stock bend.
DFWracefan
4/27/2017 7:09pm
Is there anywhere that shows/compares the different bar bends? I just installed Pro Taper (woods high bend) and plan to ride with them for the first time tomorrow. Before I bought this set I was looking for somewhere that compared the different bends but really did not find anything useful.
chuckdavies
4/28/2017 1:53am
BobPA wrote:
Twinwall 999 or 666 upside down B). They are the Mcgrath/Short bend and are very close to the OEM KTM bar. You will not notice any...
Twinwall 999 or 666 upside down Cool . They are the Mcgrath/Short bend and are very close to the OEM KTM bar. You will not notice any vibration issues with twinwalls...
Another vote here for the 999 Twinwall. If you feel more vibrations using twinwalls then i'm almost certain it's because it would be in your head. They're perfect and used by a lot of pros.
4/28/2017 3:10am
BobPA wrote:
Twinwall 999 or 666 upside down B). They are the Mcgrath/Short bend and are very close to the OEM KTM bar. You will not notice any...
Another vote here for the 999 Twinwall. If you feel more vibrations using twinwalls then i'm almost certain it's because it would be in your head...
Another vote here for the 999 Twinwall. If you feel more vibrations using twinwalls then i'm almost certain it's because it would be in your head. They're perfect and used by a lot of pros.
I don't know about " it`s in your head" thing but i used 999 twinwall and really love the bend of it but it caused pain at my hands, probably because vibration or stiffness. When i switched back to stock bars i had zero pain.
I think i am going to try cutting the crossbar of my 999 twinwall if that helps.
Speeddemon73
4/28/2017 4:14am
I would NOT get Pro-Taper Fuzion bars. They are stiffer than Twinwall's even in the unlocked mode. I have a pair on my 450 at the moment and will be going back to a fat bar.

Post a reply to: Good Bar Setups for 16+ KTMs

The Latest