GoldenTyre Fatty - torn tread

PTshox
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 2:12pm
I put one of the GoldenTyre fatty's on a 250 CC 2 stroke trail bike I built up. The tire does have excellent traction in mid to soft dirt, but is there an issue with the durability of these? I don't have more then 8-10 hrs on it and the tread has a nice tear in it... and there is another one on the side wall. I'm running a tubliss system with 10 lbs in it...
I'm also not hammering it through rocks... It has been in rocks but not a lot and not at super high speeds.

Anyone else had this issue?? I'm pretty disappointed at this point... And I see no nylon threads holding the tire together.. Nothing. You can see right through the tire in the first photo with no cord in the rip area.

|
rmoto003
1/17/2018 2:21am
Ummm... Im failing to see what the issue is here... Ive had that stuff happen on every brand of tire ive owned

Tuna
1/17/2018 3:59am
Is this the new version compound or old?
Only issue I have had with GT is the 90/90 tearing off side knobs, the 90/100 is not as bad. I ride a LOT of rocks and I’ve never had an issue other than tearing side knobs.
Maybe try the Shinko 216 Fatty, same tire and some speculation the compound is actually better.
Contact whoever you bought the tire from and let them know.

Xeno
1/17/2018 5:44am
Like Tuna said, I’ve been told by someone in the tire business that the Shinko Fatty is made by the Factory that used to make the original Goldentyre Fatty.
LungButter
1/17/2018 5:49am
Xeno wrote:
Like Tuna said, I’ve been told by someone in the tire business that the Shinko Fatty is made by the Factory that used to make the...
Like Tuna said, I’ve been told by someone in the tire business that the Shinko Fatty is made by the Factory that used to make the original Goldentyre Fatty.
Yep.

Try the Shinko, you won't be disappointed.

The Shop

RussB
Fantasy
986th
1/17/2018 6:07am
Apologies for thread jacking... but for those of you that have used the 100/90 fatty front tyre, what conditions suit this tyre best?
I'm competing in an Enduro series this year. However the places I'm going to be riding are mostly field/woods sections, with only a few rocky sections dotted about. Would a 100/90 front be a benefit or should I stick with a regular size front?
Acidreamer
1/17/2018 6:11am
I dont see the issue either. Most tires start chunking out fairly quickly. Thats why the pros get new tires before every ride...

The puncture through the flat part is concerning tho. Never seen that before.. even on those junky shinko tires
r.sal923
1/17/2018 6:59am
I get to10 hrs on Any woods tire and they start to fall apart. Perrelli xtra is the only tire I have not sliced so far , but has poor grip .
kkawboy14
1/17/2018 7:03am
That should only happen if the tire pressure is to low
Lightning78
1/17/2018 7:11am
Acidreamer wrote:
I dont see the issue either. Most tires start chunking out fairly quickly. Thats why the pros get new tires before every ride... The puncture through...
I dont see the issue either. Most tires start chunking out fairly quickly. Thats why the pros get new tires before every ride...

The puncture through the flat part is concerning tho. Never seen that before.. even on those junky shinko tires
Who remembers the Dunlop K990? .... That overpriced little bish chunked harder than .... (insert funny metaphor/analogy here bec i cant think of one but ill bet somebodys got a good quip to add in ... Peely maybe?)

Anywat tye Dunlop K990 had excellent traction and was grrrrreat at hillclimbing ... on an 84 IT200 that tire was grear on any hill and i do mean ANY hill at Carnegie especially when i was going over the top of hills giving experienced 500 two stroke riders fits.
Tuna
1/17/2018 7:15am
Xeno wrote:
Like Tuna said, I’ve been told by someone in the tire business that the Shinko Fatty is made by the Factory that used to make the...
100% it is. Shinko shared the Factory with GT before they moved to a new plant. Shinko bought the rights to the previous Gen 216. I have 3 Shinko 216 in my garage alongside a pile of GT Fatty fronts. The Shinko is a great deal. I have not tried the new GT 216 Compound yet but I have a bunch of them to mount in the spring.
Lots of talk GT is not doing that well and may not be around a lot longer. They lost a lot of their talent to Gibson Tyre.
Tuna
1/17/2018 7:18am
RussB wrote:
Apologies for thread jacking... but for those of you that have used the 100/90 fatty front tyre, what conditions suit this tyre best? I'm competing in...
Apologies for thread jacking... but for those of you that have used the 100/90 fatty front tyre, what conditions suit this tyre best?
I'm competing in an Enduro series this year. However the places I'm going to be riding are mostly field/woods sections, with only a few rocky sections dotted about. Would a 100/90 front be a benefit or should I stick with a regular size front?
Gnarly woods, roots, rocks, lots of square edge stuff. Tire height changes bike geometry a little. The Fatty does not turn and respond as sharply as the 80/100. I run the 90/90 a lot as well as the 90/100 on a spare wheel depending on conditions.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
1/17/2018 7:44am
I have several friends that use the GT and love them. I bought the Shinko DOT 505 Cheater tires for my dual sport, but haven't had a chance to ride it, due to lack of rain. I have 3 wheel sets for the bike, I ride a lot of different terrain and it makes it nice to be able to swap wheels for different types of riding.
The Dunlop AT81's are a descent tire, but they wear out quickly.
Tuna
1/17/2018 7:57am
langhammx wrote:
I have several friends that use the GT and love them. I bought the Shinko DOT 505 Cheater tires for my dual sport, but haven't had...
I have several friends that use the GT and love them. I bought the Shinko DOT 505 Cheater tires for my dual sport, but haven't had a chance to ride it, due to lack of rain. I have 3 wheel sets for the bike, I ride a lot of different terrain and it makes it nice to be able to swap wheels for different types of riding.
The Dunlop AT81's are a descent tire, but they wear out quickly.
For me personally, the AT81 front is the worst front tire on the market. The rear is OK. The front is just spooky, deflects everywhere, totally inconsistent, inspires zero confidence. Similar to the old MX51 front. Tons of Yamaha FX owners feel the same way.
If you like the GT 90/100 Fatty I would just buy the Shinko 216. Way cheaper and exactly the same as the last Gen Fatty.
walleyeguy
1/17/2018 8:19am
I bought a Sedona MX907HP last summer for my FX350 that I street titled. It's holding up very well. I'm very impressed with the longevity and grip.
Tuna
1/17/2018 8:22am
walleyeguy wrote:
I bought a Sedona MX907HP last summer for my FX350 that I street titled. It's holding up very well. I'm very impressed with the longevity and...
I bought a Sedona MX907HP last summer for my FX350 that I street titled. It's holding up very well. I'm very impressed with the longevity and grip.
I run the 907 with Tubliss on one of my wheel sets. I think it’s a fantastic tire for certain conditions. Great rock and roots tire as well as hard pack especially at low PSI.
Tracktor
1/17/2018 9:01am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 9:02am
Goldentyre West is ran by a couple friends of mine so we ran them from the beginning. We found they had great traction but were chunking them within a few rides. Both on the 85 & 125/250f. I really like how they handled and hooked up but couldn't deal with loosing outside lugs even before the edge had worn off. Supposedly we were the only ones having this issue locally. The GT West guys are really pushing GT to work on their MX line so it will get better. We are supposed to be getting a new rear tire to torture test here soon to see how it holds up. Lot's of people run them here in the NW with great results.............I will add that most of them do require much higher pressures 15-16lbs due to softer sidewall.
Tuna
1/17/2018 9:14am
Tracktor wrote:
Goldentyre West is ran by a couple friends of mine so we ran them from the beginning. We found they had great traction but were chunking...
Goldentyre West is ran by a couple friends of mine so we ran them from the beginning. We found they had great traction but were chunking them within a few rides. Both on the 85 & 125/250f. I really like how they handled and hooked up but couldn't deal with loosing outside lugs even before the edge had worn off. Supposedly we were the only ones having this issue locally. The GT West guys are really pushing GT to work on their MX line so it will get better. We are supposed to be getting a new rear tire to torture test here soon to see how it holds up. Lot's of people run them here in the NW with great results.............I will add that most of them do require much higher pressures 15-16lbs due to softer sidewall.
That’s a lot of air for a GT216, even the 2 plys. I don’t see many people running high pressure like that. Maybe 12psi. For me 11 to 12 is the sweet spot. The sidewall and carcass are not that light. It’s not like the new Starcross 5 front where you really need to run 13psi minimum in the front. Tons of guys running them with Tubliss as well. For me, the 90/90 is the knob ripper. The 90/100 does not have the same issue. On the old 216 the 90/90 would crack at the reinforcement bars. The new GT no longer has that design.
Even with side knobs coming off the tire still works great.
Tracktor
1/17/2018 9:21am
Tracktor wrote:
Goldentyre West is ran by a couple friends of mine so we ran them from the beginning. We found they had great traction but were chunking...
Tuna wrote:
That’s a lot of air for a GT216, even the 2 plys. I don’t see many people running high pressure like that. Maybe 12psi. For me...
That’s a lot of air for a GT216, even the 2 plys. I don’t see many people running high pressure like that. Maybe 12psi. For me 11 to 12 is the sweet spot. The sidewall and carcass are not that light. It’s not like the new Starcross 5 front where you really need to run 13psi minimum in the front. Tons of guys running them with Tubliss as well. For me, the 90/90 is the knob ripper. The 90/100 does not have the same issue. On the old 216 the 90/90 would crack at the reinforcement bars. The new GT no longer has that design.
I don;t remember which tire we had to run that pressure in. It was a few years ago and I've chucked them all. If we did't it would rub all the anodizing of the outer rim. First ride with it took pretty much all the black off. They definitely hook up though. At first we thought it was from hitting our FMX ramp with expanded steel but still lost lugs even when we weren't hitting ramp. Dunlop has a front that needs that much also or it will crack the sidewall according to their rep..........
Tuna
1/17/2018 9:22am
New 90/90 GT vs old 90/90 with reinforcement bars.

PTshox
1/17/2018 10:30am
That puncture happened at hr 3 on the tire running 11-12 PSI. I've never ever had a tire do that...
Tuna
1/17/2018 10:47am
Tracktor wrote:
Tuna wrote:
That’s a lot of air for a GT216, even the 2 plys. I don’t see many people running high pressure like that. Maybe 12psi. For me...
Tracktor wrote:
I don;t remember which tire we had to run that pressure in. It was a few years ago and I've chucked them all. If we did't...
I don;t remember which tire we had to run that pressure in. It was a few years ago and I've chucked them all. If we did't it would rub all the anodizing of the outer rim. First ride with it took pretty much all the black off. They definitely hook up though. At first we thought it was from hitting our FMX ramp with expanded steel but still lost lugs even when we weren't hitting ramp. Dunlop has a front that needs that much also or it will crack the sidewall according to their rep..........
Yeah for sure, under inflation is often a cause for knobs ripping, especially on the Dunlop MS3.
Josh422
1/17/2018 11:44am
I run Fatty fronts and have had experience with several rears in offroad settings. Nothing but good things to say, no issues.

I think your problem is subjective, I mean punctures can happen to any tire right?

You could also argue that the tires are designed to be used with tubes and you are running a Tubliss system.
PTshox
1/17/2018 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 12:33pm
So I just purchased a different brand.
This should not have happened ...
thebleakness
1/17/2018 12:37pm
Josh422 wrote:
I run Fatty fronts and have had experience with several rears in offroad settings. Nothing but good things to say, no issues. I think your problem...
I run Fatty fronts and have had experience with several rears in offroad settings. Nothing but good things to say, no issues.

I think your problem is subjective, I mean punctures can happen to any tire right?

You could also argue that the tires are designed to be used with tubes and you are running a Tubliss system.
Agreed. I ran a Tubliss setup in AZ for awhile and punctures happened all the time. Went from having one or two flats a year with tubes to a flat every few rides with Tubliss. I think they'd be great somewhere without many sharp trail objects (like here in the PNW).

FWIW I've been running the Shinko 505 Cheater rear for the past few months and it's been pretty awesome. Especially at the $70 price, can't beat that! Braking leaves something to be desired but it hooks up fairly well everywhere else.
Tuna
1/17/2018 1:25pm
PTshox wrote:
So I just purchased a different brand.
This should not have happened ...
So did you contact the supplier?
PTshox
1/17/2018 1:37pm
I actually did... but at this point I'm putting this behind me..
I just wanted feed back to see if anyone had similar issues as this tire carcuss seems to be very soft. The side wall has a slash in it too and I don't ride rocks. I hate rocks! LOL. I have zero interest in getting into a argument over this stuff which is kinda what has happened.

Next time I have an issue with a product I won't say anything on here. Not worth the grief. I'll just keep it to myself and learn what to get and not to get again.
Tuna
1/17/2018 2:12pm
PTshox wrote:
I actually did... but at this point I'm putting this behind me.. I just wanted feed back to see if anyone had similar issues as this...
I actually did... but at this point I'm putting this behind me..
I just wanted feed back to see if anyone had similar issues as this tire carcuss seems to be very soft. The side wall has a slash in it too and I don't ride rocks. I hate rocks! LOL. I have zero interest in getting into a argument over this stuff which is kinda what has happened.

Next time I have an issue with a product I won't say anything on here. Not worth the grief. I'll just keep it to myself and learn what to get and not to get again.
I don’t see anyone arguing with you here. I think you got a bad tire.
Run whatever you want. You started the topic looking for input. I’ve run over a dozen GT216 tires and I ride hard pack, rocks, sharp shale etc. Never seen anything like that.
You following up with the supplier and commenting in the thread would be helpful to others on the forum who run or may want to run the tire. Kind of disappointing that no one will learn anything more from this thread.

Good luck with whatever tires you end up with.

Post a reply to: GoldenTyre Fatty - torn tread

The Latest