Going up 2 teeth? (not a MXA joke) aka Finding bottom in Hondas 250f

mtl
4/9/2021 6:15am
So the new Honda 250f leaves a lot to be desired on the bottom end.

I'd like to avoid the high compression piston + race gas approach because of day-to-day cost and reliability.

I've gone up a tooth, would going up two help?

What have folks found to be successful?

|
RPM68
4/9/2021 6:18am
mtl wrote:
So the new Honda 250f leaves a lot to be desired on the bottom end. I'd like to avoid the high compression piston + race gas...
So the new Honda 250f leaves a lot to be desired on the bottom end.

I'd like to avoid the high compression piston + race gas approach because of day-to-day cost and reliability.

I've gone up a tooth, would going up two help?

What have folks found to be successful?

I put a GET ecu on mine, it really changed the entire bike, Vortex would as well. Went to a 49 and it would carry 3rd much better, and "recover" way quicker.

Beware, you'll need to keep your battery on a charger as they do wear the battery quicker.
Robbirob25
4/9/2021 6:47am
2019 CRF250R 13/50 Don't ever run anything else...
Leeham
Fantasy
3059th
4/9/2021 9:55am
Get the ECU and make minor gear ratio changes. You stray too far and it will start to suck. God is that engine lacking in the bottom end its not even funny

The Shop

GaryC1
4/9/2021 11:12am
+1 for the ECU. I have to say I don't quite get the over-dramatic claims that the 2020 has no bottom (can't attest to the 18 or 19 as I've never rode them) but while it may be geared more towards mid-range and top-end power it still has plenty IMO. I did fancy a little more power in my 2020 (who wouldn't) and picked up a Vortex and have to say it made a massive difference across the rev range. Haven't played with gearing yet as I like the stock gearing but would definitely recommend the ECU.
mtl
4/9/2021 11:47am
Great feedback, thank you!

I'm coming off of 2018 unicam gen bikes (still have one as a backup bike) and the bottom is a night and day difference.

Anyone know what 2022 holds for these, totally new bike or continuation of the current frame/engine?

Also, is there a known good map that someone could share with me if I were to go the ECU route?

Leeham
Fantasy
3059th
4/9/2021 12:11pm
Correct, adding teeth to the rear just makes the bike rev up faster. A bandaid fix. I went to a 49 on my 19, bike stood up in corners and made 3rd incredibly short but the bike doesnt have the low end torque to pull 3rd through tighter inside ruts
ML512
Fantasy
36th
4/9/2021 12:30pm
Right now our team is typically racing with a 49 rear, occasionally a 50.

Full engines of course...

Best recommendations for budget/non race engine build...custom Vortex ECU from XPR...Rekluse torq drive manual clutch.

The pirelli’s we run are fairly light too, which helps.

Big recommendation, do not lighten the flywheel. I’ve seen a few guy go this route. It feels more lively in second gear and even third, but it blows through the power too quickly when it gets into it. It’s not as ride-able per se.
spacecat
4/9/2021 1:11pm
Tokyo mods reflashed my ECU. Also went up one tooth on the rear and full Yoshimura exhaust. Best advice i can give is to rev the bike. The engine is reliable and was built to run in the higher RPMs. I have 106 hours on one of my engines and valves, bottom end are still in spec. Piston changed every 30 hours.
sandtrack315
4/9/2021 1:14pm
ML512 wrote:
Right now our team is typically racing with a 49 rear, occasionally a 50. Full engines of course... Best recommendations for budget/non race engine build...custom Vortex...
Right now our team is typically racing with a 49 rear, occasionally a 50.

Full engines of course...

Best recommendations for budget/non race engine build...custom Vortex ECU from XPR...Rekluse torq drive manual clutch.

The pirelli’s we run are fairly light too, which helps.

Big recommendation, do not lighten the flywheel. I’ve seen a few guy go this route. It feels more lively in second gear and even third, but it blows through the power too quickly when it gets into it. It’s not as ride-able per se.
Would this change for motocross?

Keefer says: I went back and forth between the stock 13/48 gearing and 13/49, but ultimately decided on sticking with stock. Why? I felt the 13/49 gearing made second gear less usable and didn't help me get into third gear any quicker. The 13/49 robs too much top end away from second and third gears on medium to faster flowy tracks. If you’re riding a tight track and suffer from bad corner technique going to a 13/49 could benefit you more. Decide which tracks you ride the most and what type of rider you are in order to decide which way to go with your gearing.
RedRider785
4/9/2021 1:59pm
spacecat wrote:
Tokyo mods reflashed my ECU. Also went up one tooth on the rear and full Yoshimura exhaust. Best advice i can give is to rev the...
Tokyo mods reflashed my ECU. Also went up one tooth on the rear and full Yoshimura exhaust. Best advice i can give is to rev the bike. The engine is reliable and was built to run in the higher RPMs. I have 106 hours on one of my engines and valves, bottom end are still in spec. Piston changed every 30 hours.
How does it feel with this combo?
Is it just one of the 3 stock maps that get altered?
Can you pick which one if so? Can you still switch between maps?
spacecat
4/9/2021 3:37pm
How does it feel with this combo? Is it just one of the 3 stock maps that get altered? Can you pick which one if so...
The flash only altered map 3. You can still use the other maps with the stock handlebar switch. It made a noticeable difference but its still no yzf on the bottom
Wolfey
4/9/2021 6:36pm
spacecat wrote:
Tokyo mods reflashed my ECU. Also went up one tooth on the rear and full Yoshimura exhaust. Best advice i can give is to rev the...
How does it feel with this combo? Is it just one of the 3 stock maps that get altered? Can you pick which one if so...
I have both for my 20 .Tokyo reflashed and a vortex mapped by twisted development. Without a doubt the mapped vortex was a huge upgrade over stock and even a big noticeable difference over the Tokyo /stock ecu. I run the vortex, full yoshimura, rekluse torque drive clutch and 49 tooth rear sprocket. It’s a lot of money in upgrades but I will say this is the best bike I’ve ever owned. I’ve owned a 2015,2016,and 2019 yz250f. The low end isn’t the same as the yzs but it’s not that far off. I just wish the Honda came the way mine is now.
mtl
4/12/2021 9:04am
Wolfey wrote:
I have both for my 20 .Tokyo reflashed and a vortex mapped by twisted development. Without a doubt the mapped vortex was a huge upgrade over...
I have both for my 20 .Tokyo reflashed and a vortex mapped by twisted development. Without a doubt the mapped vortex was a huge upgrade over stock and even a big noticeable difference over the Tokyo /stock ecu. I run the vortex, full yoshimura, rekluse torque drive clutch and 49 tooth rear sprocket. It’s a lot of money in upgrades but I will say this is the best bike I’ve ever owned. I’ve owned a 2015,2016,and 2019 yz250f. The low end isn’t the same as the yzs but it’s not that far off. I just wish the Honda came the way mine is now.
I understand the mods except the Rekluse. What is it giving you in terms of power (or power delivery) that the traditional clutch isn't?
Wolfey
4/12/2021 7:07pm
The rekluse has less slip than the oem setup.It improves low end drive.
NoMuff2Tuff
4/15/2021 11:37am
2020 has Yosh exhaust, XPR vortex, recluse torque drive clutch, stock gearing and back fire screen removed made a pretty significant difference. Picks up much sooner on the bottom and revs out hard to the increased 14,600 limiter, can use 3rd in most turns except for tight 180's. Too bad they don't come this way stock. I rode a 18 and it was gutless on the bottom.

Post a reply to: Going up 2 teeth? (not a MXA joke) aka Finding bottom in Hondas 250f

The Latest