Going to San Diego in a couple of weeks, what to do?

Braaaphole
3/24/2019 9:39am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2019 8:31am
I'm heading down there for a weekend, already planning on driving up to Pro Circuit and want to go past the test tracks as well. Is there anything worth going by to check out? Will probably go into Seven as well since my kid is sponsored by them, I saw KTM North America is next door. Is it worth going in there or is it just an office building? Just wanting to see some cool moto related things while I'm out there.

Thanks
|
barnett468
3/24/2019 9:49am
What do you mean by "go past test tracks"?
Jimmy638
3/24/2019 9:52am
Check out the wall for me, somebody left the gate open
Brent
3/24/2019 9:54am
It’s a big orange office building in a business park, not much to see.
Go to Fox raceway mid week and you will see 5 -10 national caliber pros practicing.
bigmaico
3/24/2019 2:18pm
Go grab a In & Out double double animal style.

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
3/24/2019 4:29pm
Gaslamp - Trailer Park after dark
jgmxdad251
3/24/2019 4:55pm
If it warms up speedboatadventures is pretty fun. You drive a little 10’ 2-person outboard around the bay. You follow a the tour guide and get a on water tour. I thought it was fun.
dimetime
3/24/2019 5:13pm
There's paragliding in La Jolla over looking Blacks Beach.
Dimblewambie
3/24/2019 5:20pm
The Kawi building in Foothill ranch has a rad museum.
seventeen
3/24/2019 5:20pm
bigmaico wrote:
Go grab a In & Out double double animal style.
Trash...
3/24/2019 6:11pm
San Diego and Corona are not exactly close, especially with the horrid traffic. Why would you go all the way to San Diego only to waste your time driving in shit traffic? You're going to spend most of the day sitting in traffic.

These businesses are not worth visiting. San Diego is. Stay there. Tour the USS Midway.
Braaaphole
3/24/2019 7:35pm
San Diego and Corona are not exactly close, especially with the horrid traffic. Why would you go all the way to San Diego only to waste...
San Diego and Corona are not exactly close, especially with the horrid traffic. Why would you go all the way to San Diego only to waste your time driving in shit traffic? You're going to spend most of the day sitting in traffic.

These businesses are not worth visiting. San Diego is. Stay there. Tour the USS Midway.
I've always wanted to go to Pro Circuit, so since I'm in the area I'm going to go. If there are any other stops worthwhile along the way, I'd like to catch them. Beyond that, our time will be spent in San Diego.

We have in n out in Texas, that's the most over rated crap I've ever seen. For fast food, it's not terrible, but you guys act like its the holy grail of burgers and it's not even close.

I'm totally down to check out the boat thing, I'll look that up.
swtwtwtw
3/24/2019 7:47pm
Rent a Mx bike and ride every day.
barnett468
3/24/2019 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 8:13pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I've always wanted to go to Pro Circuit, so since I'm in the area I'm going to go. If there are any other stops worthwhile along...
I've always wanted to go to Pro Circuit, so since I'm in the area I'm going to go. If there are any other stops worthwhile along the way, I'd like to catch them. Beyond that, our time will be spent in San Diego.

We have in n out in Texas, that's the most over rated crap I've ever seen. For fast food, it's not terrible, but you guys act like its the holy grail of burgers and it's not even close.

"I'm totally down to check out the boat thing, I'll look that up."

You can also rent power boats, sail boats, and jet skis boats at the marina and cruise around the harbor at your leisure if you want.

https://seaforthboatrental.com/

You can also get fairly close to the battleship with a boat.

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/24/2019 8:04pm
KTM has a little store front with apperal but not much to see. If you go to PC in Corona, check out TLD it’s in the same area.

Outdoor testing is starting so Tuesday’s at Pala(Fox Raceway), Wednesday at Milestone or Cahuilla and Thursday at Glen Helen you will see pros.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/24/2019 8:52pm
San Diego and Corona are not exactly close, especially with the horrid traffic. Why would you go all the way to San Diego only to waste...

Braaaphole wrote:
I've always wanted to go to Pro Circuit, so since I'm in the area I'm going to go. If there are any other stops worthwhile along...

Traffic in the area is manageable if timed right. Head up to Pro Circuit around 10 and head back before 2 and you’ll buzz right up and back. Once you get back towards San Diego, if you hit traffic on I-5 just head a block West and take the coast highway. Beautiful drive and it may be slow but you’ll have plenty to look at.

Even if you aren’t a big MLB fan, if the Padres are in town it is a great stadium to watch a ballgame. And since the Padres suck so bad you can always get good seats right at the box office on game day

Bad traffic here is highly exaggerated. Unless you are stuck n a 9-5 job you can time your day and spend very little time in heavy traffic. It is nothing like the Los Angeles area or the dreaded 91/405 freeways.
3/24/2019 9:08pm
Hey man. San Diego is more of a county. I enjoy getting out east and hiking. Stop in at alpine for some beers.

The best view in the city is Carrillo monument. Your can go up there and overlook the Coronado navy base and see some drills and people cruising the harbor on their catamarans.

If you can find access to a boat, the harbor is a nice time
RexEasely
3/24/2019 9:14pm
Balboa parks have some museums and a car museum
Alex.434
3/24/2019 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 9:53pm
INFO

1) Pro Circuit - Nice little storefront in the lobby with a bunch of historical bikes from all the championships. https://goo.gl/maps/B22q5HoY5p62

2) Troy Lee Designs - About 10 minutes away from PC is TLD - Great store in the front, you might see Troy in his office (it's off the main store) and catch a glimpse of the guys painting in the back. Tons of awesome stuff to check out, with some neat bikes, shitload of helmets, etc. https://goo.gl/maps/jsBcpGdVkWH2

3) Kawi Test Track - FYI heading up the I-15 to Corona you'll see the main factory Kawi test track off the side of the highway (left side if you are going north). Rare to see anyone on it, but it's cool to see as you pass by. https://goo.gl/maps/KqPQJWTay532

4) SD Zoo Safari Park - I'd recommend the San Diego Safari Park over the downtown SD Zoo. Don't get me wrong, the downtown SD Zoo is awesome, but the Safari Park is way less touristy, really well laid out, lot more elbow room, and yeah, pretty nice. It's north of SD about 35-40 minutes in Escondido. https://goo.gl/maps/FdB5DKFZmK42

5) Balboa Park - The main SD Zoo is located in Balboa Park. Just walking around the park is awesome. Personally I'm partial to the Air and Space Museum. https://goo.gl/maps/WQeYzJpEaL32

6) USS Midway - Mentioned above, the Midway is a classic. Right next door is Seaport Village, which is pretty kitchsy tourist trap, but nice walk along the water and some okay shops to poke into. Weekends it's mobbed. https://goo.gl/maps/DaMSPKWHkmA2

7) Hotel del Coronado - This is one of the remaining all wooden grand hotels of yesteryear. Nice drive over the Coronado bridge and cool place to walk thru (you can park and walk thru the main entry right into the lobby), stroll past the very expensive shops in the hotel basement level, get some ice cream, and drink an expensive drink while sitting on the beach. https://goo.gl/maps/wWfG3VWxF222

Okay that's a little info on a few of the items mentioned, and some other recommendations.

davermz450
3/25/2019 6:02am
FOOD! you have to get a true California burrito. None of this tex-mex bullshit. Go to a taco shop, not a sit down mexican restaurant.

Doing the touristy SD things are cool, use trip advisor for that.

Stopping by Pala is a good idea.
ob
3/25/2019 7:30am
Way to many incredible things to see. Definately go out to Pala(fox) on Tuesday morning to see the outdoor prep going on. It will be crazy bizzy with most of the big dogs riding right in your face. If you have to see it, PC and especially Troy Lee in Corona just because. Have a great time, if you spend your time near the beach you will be stoked. Pro tip, explore North county on a beach cruiser lol
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
3/25/2019 8:22am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2019 8:25am
KennyT wrote:
Traffic in the area is manageable if timed right. Head up to Pro Circuit around 10 and head back before 2 and you’ll buzz right up...
Traffic in the area is manageable if timed right. Head up to Pro Circuit around 10 and head back before 2 and you’ll buzz right up and back. Once you get back towards San Diego, if you hit traffic on I-5 just head a block West and take the coast highway. Beautiful drive and it may be slow but you’ll have plenty to look at.

Even if you aren’t a big MLB fan, if the Padres are in town it is a great stadium to watch a ballgame. And since the Padres suck so bad you can always get good seats right at the box office on game day

Bad traffic here is highly exaggerated. Unless you are stuck n a 9-5 job you can time your day and spend very little time in heavy traffic. It is nothing like the Los Angeles area or the dreaded 91/405 freeways.
It's been my experience that the 10:00am to 2:00pm no traffic window is only true during the week. On the weekends it's a different story. We go from San Clemente to San Diego a lot, if you're not on the road early expect traffic to be at a crawl on the southbound 5. The 15 back and forth to Pro Circuit might be a better call than the 5 down the coast. If you're dead set on going on Saturday my $.02 is get up early and be there the second they open the front door. Plan on that taking up most of your day, have fun !

Mission beach is a fun place to rent bikes and check out the scenery, there's also lots of places to eat and drink. If you do go to MB ride the wooden roller coaster. It's looks rinky dink but is more frightening than any modern coaster LOL

Post a reply to: Going to San Diego in a couple of weeks, what to do?

The Latest