Going to Alabama, where should I stop to ride?

Owen H
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2021 7:26am
Going to help a friend move. Bikes coming along with me. Who's open for riding on sunday?
Seems like Monster is racing. So that leaves Shorter Al MX park, War eagle MX, possibly Cowboy Heaven. I think most of those places are event only anyways.

I'm really looking for a sandy place to shred within the circle of pic related. Any help is appreciated (:
Bonus likes for pictures of said tracks.

|
Yeti831
9/7/2021 8:09am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 10:33am
Damn, I was going to say Monster Mountain too.

I went there last time I was in Alabama and damn near was in tears that I didn’t have a bike to ride lol
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
9/7/2021 8:10am
Sand Mountain. Shorter looked like a pretty sandy track when we stopped on our way home.
mx317
9/7/2021 8:10am
Crossbones and Monster Mountain
dcg141
9/7/2021 8:16am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 8:21am
Millcreek or Sand Mountain if Monster is not open to ride

The Shop

Owen H
9/7/2021 8:21am
crowe660 wrote:
Sand Mountain. Shorter looked like a pretty sandy track when we stopped on our way home.
So sand mountain looks kinda ghetto, like a tractorblade track. Am I wrong? Bad videos/angles? I hope so because it looks like some nice dirt.
bierbower105
9/7/2021 8:27am
If you can shoot down to MX191 in FL. One of my favorites in the country.
Owen H
9/7/2021 8:31am
I'm headed down to FL for a few weeks in.. a few weeks lol. Thats on my list. I need to be home by Monday otherwise I'd head down but that puts my drive home at like 8-9 hours ):
Owen H
9/7/2021 8:54am
Would you or anyone else in here have a phone number for Josh at MX191? I think I will go down there but I do not have facebook and would like to chat before committing to that big of a trip. Any help is appreciated greatly.
Shaggin589
9/7/2021 9:51am
Sand Mountain is good. I’ve been there and it’s really good then next time I went it was sketchy. But compared to anything I’ve rode in KY it’s pretty good. If Monster isn’t open try Mclarty MX. I’ve been a handful of times and never had a bad day. It’s in Horton, AL. It’s 3hours from me and I’ll drive there for a practice day without hesitation.
RudyRayMo
9/7/2021 9:59am
2nd vote for mcclartys, everyone knows about monster mountain. I like sand mountain too.
Mx391
9/7/2021 10:04am
Mclarty is racing saturday and practice on sunday. Its everyones favorite track in the area.
Owen H
9/7/2021 10:11am
Shaggin589 wrote:
Sand Mountain is good. I’ve been there and it’s really good then next time I went it was sketchy. But compared to anything I’ve rode in...
Sand Mountain is good. I’ve been there and it’s really good then next time I went it was sketchy. But compared to anything I’ve rode in KY it’s pretty good. If Monster isn’t open try Mclarty MX. I’ve been a handful of times and never had a bad day. It’s in Horton, AL. It’s 3hours from me and I’ll drive there for a practice day without hesitation.
Mclarty just seems like another middle america dusty clay track. I've got those exclusively for 4 hours in all directions lol. What is so special about it vs. the others mentioned?
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
9/7/2021 10:37am
crowe660 wrote:
Owen H wrote:
So sand mountain looks kinda ghetto, like a tractorblade track. Am I wrong? Bad videos/angles? I hope so because it looks like some nice dirt.
I’ve only been there twice. It’s a place to ride. It’s not really that sandy either (I’m from west Michigan, and sand here is deep). You’re not far off on your description lol, but like I said, it’s a place to turn laps. I’m not driving from MI to ride there though. Its pretty hard to beat Monster. If you find a place, post it up, I’d like to get an idea for our next trip down. Shorter looked really good the day we stopped there though. It looked like the perfect back up option if it rained.
Owen H
9/7/2021 11:24am
crowe660 wrote:
Owen H wrote:
crowe660 wrote:
I’ve only been there twice. It’s a place to ride. It’s not really that sandy either (I’m from west Michigan, and sand here is deep). You’re...
I’ve only been there twice. It’s a place to ride. It’s not really that sandy either (I’m from west Michigan, and sand here is deep). You’re not far off on your description lol, but like I said, it’s a place to turn laps. I’m not driving from MI to ride there though. Its pretty hard to beat Monster. If you find a place, post it up, I’d like to get an idea for our next trip down. Shorter looked really good the day we stopped there though. It looked like the perfect back up option if it rained.
Everywhere by me sucks, its exhausting. I'm from florida so the conditions we like are similar, and I'm expecting a good track. I'm weighing the options of working my tail off to get to ride or just dropping it all together. Nothing worse than a ton of work for disappointment..
If you're going to make a trip that far down, just go to florida. Start at WW and work your way down. Otherwise it seems like you've already got all the good tracks! hahaha
Mayo513
9/7/2021 11:30am
Keeping an eye on this thread, as I'm moving from OH to AL and looking for tracks to practice/ride at often.
yz133rider
9/7/2021 11:40am
Enter the race at monster mountain and ride an awesome track. That place is unreal.
Owen H
9/7/2021 11:48am
I'm thinking Mclarty and sand mountain Combo. I'll see about some footage and some updates. Maybe I'll drop a little "North Al MX" review or something. Thanks for the tips everyone.
mx317
9/7/2021 11:51am
Owen H wrote:
crowe660 wrote:
I’ve only been there twice. It’s a place to ride. It’s not really that sandy either (I’m from west Michigan, and sand here is deep). You’re...
Owen H wrote:
Everywhere by me sucks, its exhausting. I'm from florida so the conditions we like are similar, and I'm expecting a good track. I'm weighing the options...
Everywhere by me sucks, its exhausting. I'm from florida so the conditions we like are similar, and I'm expecting a good track. I'm weighing the options of working my tail off to get to ride or just dropping it all together. Nothing worse than a ton of work for disappointment..
If you're going to make a trip that far down, just go to florida. Start at WW and work your way down. Otherwise it seems like you've already got all the good tracks! hahaha
I guess you have been to Lowe's MX (West KY MX), Echo Valley, Acen's MX and 118 SX. etc.
Owen H
9/7/2021 11:52am
Mayo513 wrote:
Keeping an eye on this thread, as I'm moving from OH to AL and looking for tracks to practice/ride at often.
Well you're going to find that for whatever reason people in this part of the country only race... i have no idea why. Alot of places only open on race days/sporadic practices. It seems like the places mentioned here have regular riding which is awesome. I'll try to update this for you and take some pictures.
Owen H
9/7/2021 12:10pm
crowe660 wrote:
Owen H wrote:
Everywhere by me sucks, its exhausting. I'm from florida so the conditions we like are similar, and I'm expecting a good track. I'm weighing the options...
mx317 wrote:
I guess you have been to Lowe's MX (West KY MX), Echo Valley, Acen's MX and 118 SX. etc.
WKMX yes, usually go every weekend. I like it and I like the owner but it doesnt really satisfy.
All other tracks mentioned are closed. I also do not have a ton of interest in riding a dusty rock hard clay track either. The dirt here is the nations worst lol. Apparently there's a track opening in dyersburg soon but his last fb post was in april. I check weekly.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Race-Track/Hilltop-Mx-215977651…
mx317
9/7/2021 12:18pm
Owen H wrote:
mx317 wrote:
Owen H wrote:
WKMX yes, usually go every weekend. I like it and I like the owner but it doesnt really satisfy. All other tracks mentioned are closed. I...
WKMX yes, usually go every weekend. I like it and I like the owner but it doesnt really satisfy.
All other tracks mentioned are closed. I also do not have a ton of interest in riding a dusty rock hard clay track either. The dirt here is the nations worst lol. Apparently there's a track opening in dyersburg soon but his last fb post was in april. I check weekly.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Race-Track/Hilltop-Mx-215977651…
Acen's is having a practice this Saturday and race Sunday. 118SX is having a practice on the 17th and race the 18th. There is a new track in Bradford just south of you called Back40MX that has some good soil and get very deep ruts (a little too deep for me). They have a Facebook page and announces when they practice. I just saw where Echo Valley said on august 15th closed until further notice, don't know why.
Owen H
9/7/2021 12:32pm
mx317 wrote:
Acen's is having a practice this Saturday and race Sunday. 118SX is having a practice on the 17th and race the 18th. There is a new...
Acen's is having a practice this Saturday and race Sunday. 118SX is having a practice on the 17th and race the 18th. There is a new track in Bradford just south of you called Back40MX that has some good soil and get very deep ruts (a little too deep for me). They have a Facebook page and announces when they practice. I just saw where Echo Valley said on august 15th closed until further notice, don't know why.
Back40 looks good. Do you have any more contact info? There are like 3 tracks called back 40 lol. Are they open regularly?
michriddle109
9/7/2021 12:37pm
The race at monster MTN this weekend is mini major, so no big bikes. Mclarty race is the 18th with open practice I believe on the 19th. Not sure if mclarty will be open this weekend but worth going when open. Crossbone and sand MTN open most everyday. Both are good fun tracks. Millcreek not open until next event, not sure when it is, but Barcia has said it was one his favorite tracks. Matt Walker seems to be reviving several Georgia tracks as well.
Owen H
9/7/2021 12:56pm
The race at monster MTN this weekend is mini major, so no big bikes. Mclarty race is the 18th with open practice I believe on the...
The race at monster MTN this weekend is mini major, so no big bikes. Mclarty race is the 18th with open practice I believe on the 19th. Not sure if mclarty will be open this weekend but worth going when open. Crossbone and sand MTN open most everyday. Both are good fun tracks. Millcreek not open until next event, not sure when it is, but Barcia has said it was one his favorite tracks. Matt Walker seems to be reviving several Georgia tracks as well.
Got in touch with Hugh from Mclarty. Open this weekend for practice on sunday. He didnt mention a race. I'm gonna stop by sand mtn too, looks like good dirt and decent track.
hbdesigns913
9/7/2021 1:03pm
Mclarty is a great track. I like it better than sand mountain. Sand mountain is a track you want to ride when it gets rough. It’s great practice. If you want a perfect prep you need mclarty. The pic is mclarty 3 years ago

mx317
9/7/2021 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 1:16pm
mx317 wrote:
Acen's is having a practice this Saturday and race Sunday. 118SX is having a practice on the 17th and race the 18th. There is a new...
Owen H wrote:
Back40 looks good. Do you have any more contact info? There are like 3 tracks called back 40 lol. Are they open regularly?
Type it in Back40mx in Facebook just like I did with no spaces and it should come up. Oct 2-3 is the next scheduled practice.
Owen H
9/7/2021 1:54pm
mx317 wrote:
Owen H wrote:
mx317 wrote:
Type it in Back40mx in Facebook just like I did with no spaces and it should come up. Oct 2-3 is the next scheduled practice.
I don't use facebook, do you mind linking it?
Owen H
9/7/2021 2:08pm
Mclarty is a great track. I like it better than sand mountain. Sand mountain is a track you want to ride when it gets rough. It’s...
Mclarty is a great track. I like it better than sand mountain. Sand mountain is a track you want to ride when it gets rough. It’s great practice. If you want a perfect prep you need mclarty. The pic is mclarty 3 years ago

I'm thinking Mclarty in the morning then eating lunch while I drive to sand mtn (30 mins). Might not, but also might get to have a ton of prepped fun and then some good rough motos in. We'll see. I'm excited for something new i know that.

Post a reply to: Going to Alabama, where should I stop to ride?

The Latest