Going riding on Sunday.....

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2013 6:50 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I raced in Texas in the early to late 80s on 60s and 80s. Did pretty good, also. Got 10th at Ponca one year, and 3rd at Lake Whitney's Texas Championships. I had a friend die on a 250 at Rio Bravo, and mom made me hang it up. My brother and I would have so much fun cruising around Texas with my folks going to different tracks, but after the death, we moved on to ball sports and girls.

I'm 37, and my brother died in September at age 35 from cancer. He left behind a 2 year old son.

So, for some strange reason, I bought a 250 2-stroke, and am going to the track on Sunday for the first time in almost 25 years.

I feel a little silly being "risky" as I have 3 kiddos of my own now, but life is short, and I intend to at least enjoy my time, as none of us know when it will all be over. We worry about our knees when we're 75, or the money we spend on toys, but sometimes our lives are cut short, and I promise you that we all wish that we had "lived" more.

yes, I'm in shape, and yes, I've been on bikes since I was a kid in a variety of forms. But this will be the first time I've put on leathers and tried to rail a berm. Just thinking about it right now makes me smile.

Anyway, thanks for the great forum - I enjoy reading it daily. I especially enjoy reading you old-timers like me out there that refuse to hang 'em up. I guess I'm joining your club now.

|

12/9/2013 6:57 PM

Welcome and RIDE ON !!!!!!

|

12/9/2013 7:01 PM

Very cool story, hope you have a good ride.

|

12/9/2013 7:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your brother. Welcome back. Ride hard, and safe wishes.

|

12/9/2013 7:05 PM

Thanks for sharing! Have a good time Sunday & prepare to open a can of obsession. You'll wonder how you ever stopped riding as soon as you throw a leg over & hit the dirt!

|

12/9/2013 8:06 PM

Welcome back to riding!! Sorry to hear about your Brother. Cancer is not easy to watch. Lost my Dad to it 3 years ago. I still think about him every day.

I went through the same deal with myself after my Dad passed. Decided life is to short and I better hit some things on the bucket list. I rode when I was a kid and hadn't touched a bike again until I was 36. Turning 40 in a couple of weeks. I ride religiously every week now. Shed some extra weight I was carrying instantly. Can't even begin to tell you how riding clears my head from all the bs I deal with during the week.

I'm also in the same boat with kids. Just ride within your comfort limit and It will all come back in time. Don't push it until your ready!!

If your ever in Houston PM me. I ride Rio Bravo every week. It's a cool laid back track with a older group of riders now. Good luck out there! I'm sure your Brother will be looking down smiling!

|

12/9/2013 8:10 PM

If you want to ride in the woods. We ride at DBSA.

|

12/9/2013 8:17 PM

Good luck with riding again, there's nothing like it!! Take your time and enjoy.

|

12/9/2013 8:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your brother. Ride fast and take lots of chances! Welcome back.

|

12/10/2013 5:52 AM

new graphics installed last night. She's ready to rumble.

Photo

Thanks for the encouragement, men.

|

12/10/2013 5:59 AM

Get the kids some bikes and take the whole family! have fun!

|

12/10/2013 6:02 AM

Sorry about your brother, very young. Good for you on taking your life as a blessing and moving forward in a healthy privilege we take for granted called mx/offroad.

BTW, you might be in shape, but not offroad motorcycle shape! Ditch the kickstand man!

|

12/10/2013 6:06 AM

Markee wrote:

Sorry about your brother, very young. Good for you on taking your life as a blessing and moving forward in a healthy privilege ...more

haha - a friend fussed at me and said "Hell, just leave it on there - you might do some trail riding and wish you had it when you stop." So it has stayed.

As for fitness: "In shape" = am not overweight and can turn some laps and moderate intensity without gasping for breath. I'm certainly no Ironman, but I'm certainly no fatass either.

Thanks again guys....

|

12/10/2013 8:07 AM

Great post!
We hang on to issues life deals us way to long usually. There's still a freedom we all have that each of us have to get after, certainly get your life and make sure those we support are protected.
It is my life, your life and we are here to flourish. To most of us here that's grabbing a big handful on a finely prepped machine and ripping loose some terrafirma velcro!

Oh and that kickstand will come in handy when you glaze across your bike parked between you sitting on your tailgate with a cold beer and that freshly turned over track at the end of your ride. Enjoy brother.

|

12/10/2013 11:13 AM

Good for you! Have fun, and be safe.

|

12/10/2013 1:03 PM

HAha, "leathers."

I come from your same time frame, as I raced at Barona Oaks in the mid '80s and had friends who probably raced against you at Ponca.
Kudos to coming back and living life as a rider again. I know your brother will be watching over you and smiling. Stay safe!

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/10/2013 1:09 PM

thanks again. Am really excited to smell some pre-mix and tear it up.

|

12/10/2013 1:13 PM

Have a blast. Ride within yourself. I've done the riding/racing reboot several times after multi-year layoffs. My advice is your brain is going to say, "No sweat. Go for it!". But your body ain't there yet, so break things in easy.

|

12/10/2013 1:37 PM

great first post! welcome back to moto and enjoy the ride sunday. Let us know how it goes.

|

12/10/2013 2:51 PM

Sorry about your brother. When you're out there, just ride your pace, and have fun. That's what it's all about.
Welcome back!

|

12/10/2013 3:02 PM

Welcome! Have a blast tearing it up this weekend. 25 years off the bike...I can only imagine the arm pump! It's gonna be great!

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

12/10/2013 3:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your brother. I'm glad that you decided to ride again though! For me, there's nothing like it. I don't get to ride as much as I would like to anymore, so when I do it's always awesome!

I read something once that I try to live my life by, it goes like this: "I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

|

12/11/2013 6:59 PM

drats! Help!

Took the bike out yesterday for a spin. It had sat for perhaps a month. Fired up fine, but had a weird bog at extreme low rpm (just as I turned the throttle).

to the googles and found this:

That's the exact sound my bike is making. Pulled the carb, cleaned the jets, dumped the fuel, new spark plug.

Fired back up, and had exact same issue. (using fresh fuel). The air screw has ZERO effect on the bike - no matter what or how I adjust it, the sound/issue is the same.

Thoughts????

I've only got a couple of days to get this fixed!! I can't miss Sunday's ride, or I'm going to be beyond pissed.
|

12/11/2013 9:08 PM

Welcome mate. Sorry about your brother.
I can't solve your mechanical issue, although I can give you a virtual bump start.
There are some pretty smart peeps on here... Someone help a brother get his steed running right.wink

|

12/12/2013 5:09 AM

WhipMeister wrote:

Have a blast. Ride within yourself. I've done the riding/racing reboot several times after multi-year layoffs. My advice is ...more

Good advice WhipMeister.
I too had a couple reboots over the years.
I'm 56 now and having the time of my life. And I plan on riding as long as physically possible.

Now I'm in it for fun. Even when I race, I don't push the limits like I used to. As you know mx is a risky sport, but you can minimize some of the risk by using your head. When in doubt back off. Live to ride another day.

I've been to way too many funerals where people passed before their time. Life is precious and short.
As you said, we never know when the party is going to be over. So make the most of the time you have. Stay involved with your kids. They grow up before you know it. But the memories are priceless.
They mean a lot when you get to be an old guy like me. lol

Sorry about your bother. Way to young to die. Cancer sucks. I lost my mom to it when she was 60.
I'm confident some day they will cure it.

Anyway, welcome back!!
Good luck, be safe and have fun.

|

12/12/2013 5:44 AM

ttugrad1793 wrote:

drats! Help!

Took the bike out yesterday for a spin. It had sat for perhaps a month. Fired up fine, but had a weird bog at ...more

Get you some pilot jets, if it has cooled down (air temp) need bigger pilot to take care of that bog. Keep in mind that if you shop around at local dealers, you can find part numbers from other manufactures that used that same carb that might have some jets in stock.

Post up what carb you have, maybe we can help cross reference so you can find some today or tomorrow.

|

12/12/2013 6:11 AM

You might check with that Yamaha dealer there in Boerne.

Second choice Powerhouse on Rhapsody in SA, 830-980-1823

|

12/12/2013 6:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2013 6:23 AM

Not sure what carb is on there but pull the airscrew and see if the tip is snapped off and stuck in the orifice if not maybe some dirt in there. Don't over tighten the airscrew ever. Sorry to hear about your brother too. Now STFU noob.

|

12/12/2013 8:10 AM

Check the petcock on the fuel tank as well. Just pull the fuel line and open the valve up to see if a steady flow comes out. Sometimes they can get gummed up and clogged a bit over time. Good luck with the fix!

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

12/12/2013 9:24 AM

took it to the local dealer this morning. The guy starts it and says "Oh, it's the Jet Pilot Circuit. I can tell because the bike isn't loading up at idle at all."

Meh. We'll see. There's still hope. I'm determined to slay this track this coming weekend - I'm going to roll all of those jumps and tip over in every corner I can find just like a total badass.

|