Going out of town.. What do you do??

Triton
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 5:52pm
I'm sure I'm not the only one that worries about their steeds. Heading out for the open this morning I did it again. We have someone watching the house but that's not enough Smile bike is chained to the garage floor, garage door is bolted and the opener deactivated.

Pretty normal process for me going out of town. Here is the kicker... It wasn't enough for me today so I pulled the rear wheel and threw it in the truck. Lol. It is now happily sitting in the garage here at the airport. I figured it may not stop someone but might give them fits. Maybe a little much but hey why not. It's not like I live in a bad part of town.

Anyone else get a little out of hand locking things down? Smile
|
Highsider
10/8/2009 10:50am
A dirt bike is a lot lighter without the rear wheel. Should be easier to carry out, once that pesky chain is cut.

The Shop

txmxer
10/8/2009 10:55am
you need to move.
bogdan912
10/8/2009 10:56am
A friend removes the wheels and seat and hides them in different spots as well as chaining it down.
MX Culture
10/8/2009 10:57am
1. notify police you are going out of town...they will occasionaly drive by and hopefully deter burglars.
2. don't tell everyone on the internet that you are going out of town.
Chili
10/8/2009 10:59am
I make sure the insurance is paid.
Triton
10/8/2009 11:03am
It's fine just thought it was a little funny. Someone will be there the whole time so not worried about broadcasting. I guess the other half of me didn't want them talking a spin through the neighborhood. Smile
LIVEWIRE
10/8/2009 11:04am
Triton wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one that worries about their steeds. Heading out for the open this morning I did it again. We have someone...
I'm sure I'm not the only one that worries about their steeds. Heading out for the open this morning I did it again. We have someone watching the house but that's not enough Smile bike is chained to the garage floor, garage door is bolted and the opener deactivated.

Pretty normal process for me going out of town. Here is the kicker... It wasn't enough for me today so I pulled the rear wheel and threw it in the truck. Lol. It is now happily sitting in the garage here at the airport. I figured it may not stop someone but might give them fits. Maybe a little much but hey why not. It's not like I live in a bad part of town.

Make sure you have home owners or rental insurance that covers theft. Keep all reciepts so if you have to file a claim you have proof of cost. I also have an alarm with a motion detector in the garage, I also have a camera system that can be viewed on the web or my phone.

Triton
10/8/2009 11:05am
That's the type of response I was looking for. Smile good stuff.
JOHN CHOATE
10/8/2009 11:07am
I worry about the same thing every time I leave the house. I've never had any problems, but I don't want any either so I put a giant picture of my mother-n-law on the garage doorWoohoo
10/8/2009 11:13am
If you are ready for a newer bike, load the bike on the trailer and hitch it up to the car you leave behind on the driveway. That way your car insurance will cover the theft, and the deductable is much lower. But you did not hear that from me.

Steve47
10/8/2009 11:13am
Seriously, I uses to just loosen the tripple clamp and remove both fork tubes with the front wheel and store that somewhere else with the rear wheel.

My thinking was the buying the forks and both wheels are just as expensive as buying a used bike. No point in stealing...
tmart
10/8/2009 11:25am
If you are ready for a newer bike, load the bike on the trailer and hitch it up to the car you leave behind on the...
If you are ready for a newer bike, load the bike on the trailer and hitch it up to the car you leave behind on the driveway. That way your car insurance will cover the theft, and the deductable is much lower. But you did not hear that from me.

This is almost laughable...been around the insurance industry all my life...first of all unless a motorized vehicle is used to service the property there is no coverage under homeowners or renters insurance. You car insurance will cover nothing but the car...If you car is broken into and you have $10,000 worth of personal belongings in it...such as your riding gear that is only covered on your homeowners insurance so you will have to pay to have your deductible to get your car fixed and whatever homeowners/renters insurance deductible you have as well. If you are worried about your bike that much why not just call up Progressive and insure your bike for about $100 a year and you don't ever have to worry. They generally include $0-$3000 worth of customizations for no additional premium. I sell them all the time around here for all my buddies...don't worry i'm not spamming because they are more work for me than anything...I make a whole $10 on them!
10/8/2009 12:24pm
Now I have to steal your bike and your truck !!!!!! Dam you people !!!!!!!
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
10/8/2009 12:25pm
If you are ready for a newer bike, load the bike on the trailer and hitch it up to the car you leave behind on the...

tmart wrote:
This is almost laughable...been around the insurance industry all my life...first of all unless a motorized vehicle is used to service the property there is no...
This is almost laughable...been around the insurance industry all my life...first of all unless a motorized vehicle is used to service the property there is no coverage under homeowners or renters insurance. You car insurance will cover nothing but the car...If you car is broken into and you have $10,000 worth of personal belongings in it...such as your riding gear that is only covered on your homeowners insurance so you will have to pay to have your deductible to get your car fixed and whatever homeowners/renters insurance deductible you have as well. If you are worried about your bike that much why not just call up Progressive and insure your bike for about $100 a year and you don't ever have to worry. They generally include $0-$3000 worth of customizations for no additional premium. I sell them all the time around here for all my buddies...don't worry i'm not spamming because they are more work for me than anything...I make a whole $10 on them!
+1

I love hearing people tell me their homeowners covers their ATV, MC or Jet Ski because, "it is stored in their garage." I just laugh at them and tell them to call their agent and verify that...
Highsider
10/8/2009 12:35pm
I hope they don't steal the truck at the airport, then you can't ride or drive.
Or worse, break out the truck window and steal the wheel...sorry, that is bad!

I pay a measly $75 per year, per unit. Covers most everything, but I would never file a "collision" claim.
JB 19
10/8/2009 12:49pm
I have state farm and pay 35$ a year for an 07 450. I had them take collision off the policy once I convinced the guy that I wasn't make a claim every time I crash.
newmann
10/8/2009 12:54pm
I like to fuck with would be thieves by putting sugar in the tanks of all my bikes before I leave. Have to buy big bags though.

JK105
10/8/2009 12:58pm
Whats your address... I'll go check on um for ya...
10/8/2009 1:04pm
if i go out of town my bikes are with me. if i went out of town without them i would leave my alligator in my garage. he's a mutherfucker hates everybody!!!!
DanDunes818
10/8/2009 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:38am
Well you could tear the bikes down and put all the parts in here if you're really paranoid.---Edit: Shit. It's supposed to be a pic of a huge safe but it didn't work. lol Grin

JM21
Fantasy
4006th
10/8/2009 1:34pm

tmart wrote:
This is almost laughable...been around the insurance industry all my life...first of all unless a motorized vehicle is used to service the property there is no...
I must say from expierence that you are partially wrong. I got in a bad accident in Illinois a while back and rolled my truck with my bike in the back. It was a total loss on both vehicles and they paid me blue book value on the bike and the truck, after my $500 deductible that was on my regualr car insurance. Like I said this was a while ago but they paid me more for my race bike then I paid for it when I bought it.

Not calling you a liar just saying it did happen to me before.

JM21
lumpy790
10/8/2009 1:44pm
Motion detector that calls the police then my cell.

10/8/2009 1:58pm
JM21 wrote:
I must say from expierence that you are partially wrong. I got in a bad accident in Illinois a while back and rolled my truck with...
I must say from expierence that you are partially wrong. I got in a bad accident in Illinois a while back and rolled my truck with my bike in the back. It was a total loss on both vehicles and they paid me blue book value on the bike and the truck, after my $500 deductible that was on my regualr car insurance. Like I said this was a while ago but they paid me more for my race bike then I paid for it when I bought it.

Not calling you a liar just saying it did happen to me before.

JM21
I originally posted that comment just for humor. Sheesh.

Something similar happened to my neighbor (accident with bikes loaded on a flatbed trailer) and he had the same result.

Another guy I know locally had his bike stolen off his trailer while he was parked at a hotel overnight for an out of town race. His insurance covered the stolen bike because it was on the trailer attached to his truck. His bike was a Bultaco Alpina, but he feels like what they paid him was fair.

After these incidents I called our insurance guy of 16 years and he said I was covered for the same type of situations. Every state has different rules/regs when it comes to insurance, maybe thats why its possible to have a different outcome as suggested above.

Now, back to the comedy......move along, nothing else to see here......

bd
10/8/2009 2:08pm
Triton wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one that worries about their steeds. Heading out for the open this morning I did it again. We have someone...

Thats the type of shit I do.
kaw rider9
10/8/2009 2:39pm
Some times I shut my garage door... But not always.. I'm fifty- fifty on shutting the door.. NEVER lock it, NEVER!!

My ole lady will lock her car, but I leave the keys in mine..Every time I come back from a trip that damn Porsche is still there, sitting in the driveway with the keys in it..

If I'm going to be gone longer than a few days, I'll shut the gas off on all the bikes.

I try to make an effort to shut the windows in the camper, but damn near always forget!

I'm mister safety!!!
Muezh
10/8/2009 2:49pm
c'mon E.. pony up and buy some insurance.. and move outa that place.. whatda.......... chaining bike down, taking the wheel.. what kinda hood you livin in.

Post a reply to: Going out of town.. What do you do??

The Latest