Going from 450 to supersport

Acidreamer
I'm assuming a lot of you ride sportbikes when not at the track. What has your experience been going from a 450 to a 600cc(or higher) sport bike? I'm looking at some gsxr 600s to get in the spring. Everyone i know rides harleys and tells me i wont be able to control a rocket between my legs. From time to time i take the 450 to the store or something and can easily get above 60mph in 4th gear and still wheelie easily if i sneeze on the throttle. I'm sure those dudes are over exaggerating, but i wanted to ask people who actually HAVE gone from dirt to street. Other than watching out for idiot drivers(which i do in my truck already), how hard can it be? Should just transfer over pretty simply.
|
zehn
12/10/2016 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2016 7:45pm
There are a ton of differences between street and dirt, so many that any attempt to type them out would be an abject failure.

Biggest thing is don't try to steer with the back tire. This should seem pretty damn obvious but I've seen enough dirt-turned-street riders highside their fucking brains out to know that old habits die hard.

Take it slow and you'll get used to it pretty quickly. You should have no problem with a 600.

BTW your friends that ride Harleys? Those guys are pretty much the quad riders of the street world.
Nellyinda803
Fantasy
362nd
12/10/2016 7:48pm
I've ridden 250 2 strokes and 450 four strokes. Start off slow on the street. I have a Suzuki GSXR 1000 but I started on a 600. The street can bite you in the ass if you don't be careful and ride defensively. Cars are not looking for you as often as they should be. You will be able to handle the power don't worry about that. The 450 will feel more powerful sometimes than the 600. Once you get on a 1000, coming to a 450 or 600 Supersport just feels slow!!
JWACK
12/10/2016 7:54pm
Acidreamer wrote:
I'm assuming a lot of you ride sportbikes when not at the track. What has your experience been going from a 450 to a 600cc(or higher)...
I'm assuming a lot of you ride sportbikes when not at the track. What has your experience been going from a 450 to a 600cc(or higher) sport bike? I'm looking at some gsxr 600s to get in the spring. Everyone i know rides harleys and tells me i wont be able to control a rocket between my legs. From time to time i take the 450 to the store or something and can easily get above 60mph in 4th gear and still wheelie easily if i sneeze on the throttle. I'm sure those dudes are over exaggerating, but i wanted to ask people who actually HAVE gone from dirt to street. Other than watching out for idiot drivers(which i do in my truck already), how hard can it be? Should just transfer over pretty simply.
My advice. Don't. Unless you want some texting dumbass to pull out in front of you because they are not paying attention. I've lost to many friends on them to advise anyone to get one. I had a 600 and a 1000 for a while.. Fun at 3 in the morning when no one is out and you can use it. But overall pretty boring. Little story. I was 14 working at the Honda shop. 18 year old comes in and buys a 600 with his dad by his side telling him to buy a dirtbike instead. Kid does not listen. Purchases a new cbr 600. 30 minutes later that kid was dead. Speed and curbs and traffic don't mix well with the human body.
Braap19
12/10/2016 7:55pm
I've ridden 250 2 strokes and 450 four strokes. Start off slow on the street. I have a Suzuki GSXR 1000 but I started on a...
I've ridden 250 2 strokes and 450 four strokes. Start off slow on the street. I have a Suzuki GSXR 1000 but I started on a 600. The street can bite you in the ass if you don't be careful and ride defensively. Cars are not looking for you as often as they should be. You will be able to handle the power don't worry about that. The 450 will feel more powerful sometimes than the 600. Once you get on a 1000, coming to a 450 or 600 Supersport just feels slow!!
Biggest problem I have going from my R6 to my 450 is the steering. I steer with the rear on the dirt bike which I started riding fifteen years ago and street only a few years. Usually takes me a few miles if I go from dirt to street, without much time apart from dirt bike to get used to steering with the front tire on the street.

But power isn't something you should worry about. Even a mediocre dirt bike racer can run the dogshit out of a street bike.

The Shop

mr765
12/10/2016 7:56pm
A 1000 does around 85 in first gear, imagine sneezing on the throttle in 2nd or 3rd. When I bought my cbr in 07 I couldn't believe they Even sold em to the public. I'm an x pro and it still took me weeks to tame it so I could ride it hard. Food for thought
12/10/2016 8:01pm
i say go for it. Harleys are cool if you like a couch with wheels. if you want to have fun on the street, get a sport bike. your dirt riding experience will make the transition easy IMO, because of throttle control. i fear that people with no experience will whiskey throttle street bikes. i ride a zx6. the power doesn't hit til after 10k rpms. the steering is different but if you're competent on two wheels its not that big of a deal. have fun and be safe!
JB 19
12/10/2016 8:05pm
You'll be fine if you are a good dirt rider. .....but, I sold my gsxr when my first kid was born. Riding on the street felt irresponsible. On the street your first crash may be your last.
Nellyinda803
Fantasy
362nd
12/10/2016 8:10pm
Braap19 wrote:
Biggest problem I have going from my R6 to my 450 is the steering. I steer with the rear on the dirt bike which I started...
Biggest problem I have going from my R6 to my 450 is the steering. I steer with the rear on the dirt bike which I started riding fifteen years ago and street only a few years. Usually takes me a few miles if I go from dirt to street, without much time apart from dirt bike to get used to steering with the front tire on the street.

But power isn't something you should worry about. Even a mediocre dirt bike racer can run the dogshit out of a street bike.
I know exactly what you mean. Even the first time a rode a motorcycle on the street I took a turn and stuck out my leg!! It's awkward at first but after a while he will start to transition. Do you like your 1000 better than the 600?
hvaughn88
12/10/2016 8:17pm
JB 19 wrote:
You'll be fine if you are a good dirt rider. .....but, I sold my gsxr when my first kid was born. Riding on the street felt...
You'll be fine if you are a good dirt rider. .....but, I sold my gsxr when my first kid was born. Riding on the street felt irresponsible. On the street your first crash may be your last.
I did the same thing. My wife never said "no" but I could see the anxiety on her face when I would leave and the relief when I would get back. I looked at my boys one day after having a car pull out in front of me and said "I'm done" and put it up for sale. The unnerving part about selling it was the kid that bought it brought his pregnant girlfriend with him to pick it up. He was telling me stories about riding his buddies bike at ridiculous speeds, drinking, all that good stuff. I was close to just being like "nah dude, I'm not selling you a bike."
Braap19
12/10/2016 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2016 8:23pm
I know exactly what you mean. Even the first time a rode a motorcycle on the street I took a turn and stuck out my leg...
I know exactly what you mean. Even the first time a rode a motorcycle on the street I took a turn and stuck out my leg!! It's awkward at first but after a while he will start to transition. Do you like your 1000 better than the 600?
I love my 1000 because it just feels like a comfy rocket. The extra weight makes it corner right but it is a little bit of a pain in heavy traffic. Think having a z06 corvette and being able to only drive in a Walmart parking lot. thankfully I live in a mostly rural area so heavy traffic is a tobacco bus and a combine.

Edit: I still stick my leg out when turning into some driveways and roads. But I also have been known to ruin a Pair of pants dragging a knee in certain corners..
Acidreamer
12/10/2016 10:13pm
The obvious stuff like not trying to steer with the rear is well.. obvious. and it doesnt matter what you ride on the road, those people who text and drive kill everyone in a car or on a bike. And by no means am i asking if someone who has never swung a leg over a bike should get a 600. Thats crazy. At the MSF course i saw new new riders on the 250cc bikes who didnt look like they could control an xr50. I watched a lot of crash compilations on youtube of people on sportbikes and it seems like every single one is from them being flat out stupid. From an mx only guy, it looks like 18 year olds are jumping on these 600s and never learned to respect the machine when they were 5yrs old like the rest of us
BobPA
12/11/2016 8:10am
I do not know what kind of 600 you guys are riding, but a 450 is an absolute dog compared to the ones I have ridden. Just remember they only go as fast as you turn the throttle, but when you turn the throttle they will go fast. I owned a gsxr 750 for a summer when a kid got in money trouble. If you can find one I highly recommend it. Got rid of it because of my fear of deer and stupid people. I've got an old slow Yamaha 600 now and rarely break the speed limit.

Like others said, your first crash could very well be your last.
Project 2501
Fantasy
394th
12/11/2016 9:13am
it's a bike. treat it with respect. when you get comfortable, sign up for a track day. all modern 600cc bikes are incredible to ride on the racetrack. also avoid riding advice from the internet on forums or in general. exceptions are nick ienatsch and ken hill.

have fun and be safe. no plastic trophies for being a hero on the street.
TeamGreen
12/11/2016 9:15am
I don't know where you live; but, a good dual sport is a BLAST to have around. Sportbikes are plenty of fun. But, something about being able to go down that dirt-road or trail that's liberating for me.
12/11/2016 11:13am
Most good street riders learned in the dirt, so you're way ahead of the game. I do coaching and have run a school for 10 years, and the biggest thing is riding with awareness no matter where you're at, city for people not looking, rural for animals, and racetracks for people riding over their heads. Smile
Aron213
12/11/2016 12:12pm
it's a bike. treat it with respect. when you get comfortable, sign up for a track day. all modern 600cc bikes are incredible to ride on...
it's a bike. treat it with respect. when you get comfortable, sign up for a track day. all modern 600cc bikes are incredible to ride on the racetrack. also avoid riding advice from the internet on forums or in general. exceptions are nick ienatsch and ken hill.

have fun and be safe. no plastic trophies for being a hero on the street.

Yep, just remember that track days are addicting, but if you complain about the cost of a practice day at the local MX track, be prepared to crap your pants after a day at a road course. Its easy to blow $700 for two days at the track and a set of tires.

Flatliner
12/11/2016 12:20pm
My 600 made me much smoother on dirt and really hit home the whole looking ahead thing.

600's rip when you scream them, you'll like it.
Yzf916
12/11/2016 12:30pm
Push left, go left. Push right, go right. Countersteering. Learn it to survive. And majority front brake. Stay focused. And watch for cars turning left in front of you. NEVER assume a car is going to do what you expect it to do.
philG
12/11/2016 12:32pm
If you are a racer , then dont even bother , it screws you over for both.

When you get on a dirt bike, you are 100% focussed on what you are doing, which most of the time , is you and the track and a few other guys, you are in a zone that you dont get anywhere near on the road, and if you do, you wont do it for long.

The brief period i did both, i either rode too fast on the road, or so slow i didnt have the concentration level i needed, and then when i went racing i didnt have enough aggression, so both sucked.

A 450 Supermoto on the road is a waste of effort, you feel like you can run by the side of it, on track they are better, assuming its a moto track, but the fun is in the corners.

Nobody needs a 1000cc on the road, ever.
08r1dilla
12/11/2016 12:50pm
I bought an 06 r1 60 anniversary for my first streetbike and loved it. The problem is when the power really kicks in your over the speed limit in any gear. About 7 grand it just takes off like a rocket. There's nothing like it on two wheels. With that being said Respect it. Back wheel will break loose when cold or getting on the gas too early when cornering. And constantly scan the street for anything that could be a problem, don't ever try to make the yellow light. I just bought and KTM 690 Enduro R Supermoto setup which is great but I told myself I'd sell the r1 and just can't do it.
Spooner
12/11/2016 1:15pm
Biggest advice I can give is assume every car out there is going to try to kill you and expect it. It doesn't matter if the accident is the car's fault, its still your ass sliding down the road. Get some good quality gear too. I'd rather sweat than bleed any day. And definitely do a track day. It will make you a better rider on the street but will likely end you riding on the street as its WAY more fun and you can actually use the bike the way its designed.
12/11/2016 1:17pm
philG wrote:
If you are a racer , then dont even bother , it screws you over for both. When you get on a dirt bike, you are...
If you are a racer , then dont even bother , it screws you over for both.

When you get on a dirt bike, you are 100% focussed on what you are doing, which most of the time , is you and the track and a few other guys, you are in a zone that you dont get anywhere near on the road, and if you do, you wont do it for long.

The brief period i did both, i either rode too fast on the road, or so slow i didnt have the concentration level i needed, and then when i went racing i didnt have enough aggression, so both sucked.

A 450 Supermoto on the road is a waste of effort, you feel like you can run by the side of it, on track they are better, assuming its a moto track, but the fun is in the corners.

Nobody needs a 1000cc on the road, ever.
True, but nobody needs a 450 off road either. Smile
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
12/11/2016 4:43pm
For me, I'd rather have a cast on, than be in a casket. It's just my opinion, but something to think about.

No street for me. But, racing/riding on a track only, thats a different story.
12/11/2016 5:51pm
I did the switch back in 2006. I rode a LOT (20 000miles in 8 months) and love it a lot. I switched on track only because the road is too dangerous and I don't understand why this bike is street legal. Don't get me wrong it's a ton of fun but the bike isn't made to be ride slowly. I teached and was marshall during track day but quit because of the price it cost me and 50% of the time I wasn't paying the entry fees because I was working. I was going trough a set of tire each day.

So yes you have some strong background coming from dirt biking but a sport bike is not made to be on the street.
12/11/2016 5:52pm
kzizok wrote:
For me, I'd rather have a cast on, than be in a casket. It's just my opinion, but something to think about. No street for me...
For me, I'd rather have a cast on, than be in a casket. It's just my opinion, but something to think about.

No street for me. But, racing/riding on a track only, thats a different story.
X2, This is good advice
waitn4
12/11/2016 6:43pm
zehn wrote:
There are a ton of differences between street and dirt, so many that any attempt to type them out would be an abject failure. Biggest thing...
There are a ton of differences between street and dirt, so many that any attempt to type them out would be an abject failure.

Biggest thing is don't try to steer with the back tire. This should seem pretty damn obvious but I've seen enough dirt-turned-street riders highside their fucking brains out to know that old habits die hard.

Take it slow and you'll get used to it pretty quickly. You should have no problem with a 600.

BTW your friends that ride Harleys? Those guys are pretty much the quad riders of the street world.
This is the funniest thing I have read on this site
motogrady
12/11/2016 7:31pm

Just act as tho every guy or woman that has a chance to pull out in front of you, or move over on you, will.

I've had them look me in the eye and pull out.

Post a reply to: Going from 450 to supersport

The Latest