Going To Watch My First National, Tips?

parkman
Fantasy
1524th
Hey guys going to watch my first national tomorrow at Pala, with my wife and parents. EXCITED! ๐Ÿ˜Ž We've been to Supercross before but this will be our first outdoor experience. We've also done superbike races and indycar, so we're familiar with walking around the track, portapotties and the like. I know it's going to be very hot, we were thinking of taking a pop-up, plenty of water/food of course. I read some of the other threads on best spots for viewing, I'd
just like to make sure everyone has as good of a time as possible, so just looking for some feedback from any of you more experienced in going with your families and anything I might not be thinking about or expecting that's unique to nationals or Pala. Much appreciated!
|
Hammer 663s
9/3/2021 1:17pm
No one will ever know that there is vodka in your Gatorade bottles.
Spudnut
9/3/2021 1:42pm
Do not by any means say MotoRcross... Only DC is allowed to pronounce it that way
NorCal1975
9/3/2021 3:38pm
parkman wrote:
Hey guys going to watch my first national tomorrow at Pala, with my wife and parents. EXCITED! ๐Ÿ˜Ž We've been to Supercross before but this will...
Hey guys going to watch my first national tomorrow at Pala, with my wife and parents. EXCITED! ๐Ÿ˜Ž We've been to Supercross before but this will be our first outdoor experience. We've also done superbike races and indycar, so we're familiar with walking around the track, portapotties and the like. I know it's going to be very hot, we were thinking of taking a pop-up, plenty of water/food of course. I read some of the other threads on best spots for viewing, I'd
just like to make sure everyone has as good of a time as possible, so just looking for some feedback from any of you more experienced in going with your families and anything I might not be thinking about or expecting that's unique to nationals or Pala. Much appreciated!
The beauty of the outdoors is they generally you can bring in your own food and drink minus glass or alcohol. Double check on that, but they allowed cooler bags back in May of this year, they did not allow big igloo coolers, but we brought in a bunch of drinks in 2 large cooler bags. Consider walking around the track. It is not the best for walking, but youcan still get to a few different areas. Think about where the sun will be during the motos when you get set up and pick a spot. South and west facing areas will have you looking into the sun all afternoon. The hill on the east side of the track is a pretty good spot but much of the track is really far away if you sit there. Have fun!

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
9/3/2021 6:01pm
Iโ€™d suggest get there early with a pop up and stake out a good spot for the day. I donโ€™t suggest setting up next to the porta potties but keep those n mind when you do find your spot. Hiking a long way in that heat to take a piss wonโ€™t be much fun. I love the early morning at a National before the huge crowd arrives. Have fun
B Lenny
9/3/2021 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2021 6:14pm
Take a canopy..Get there early..Perferably get along the fence in the infield...There's a line for the port a potties too
Premix4Life
Fantasy
1148th
9/3/2021 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2021 6:12pm
or in the EZup cover ; ) Save the Gatorade LOLLLOLL
CG118
9/3/2021 6:50pm
Enjoy. The speed and skill will amaze you. Your jaw will hit the floor. Take Advil.
1bobbylane
9/3/2021 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2021 8:19pm
Be there by 8 if you want a good spot for a pop up (and you will want your own shade). Although the tickets clearly said yes to alcohol at the first one, security had other ideas. If you want to smuggle some brews and white claws in, just have someone go in and meet you in the camping area and hand it over the fence. Only real security for that is at the entrance. They sell plenty of booze too, so feel free to patronize the vendors. Going to be a hot one tomorrow. And warning, we left half way through the last Moto and it took two hours to get out of the parking lot. DVR the races and gtfo after the second 250 Moto unless you don't mind hanging out.
FIREfish148
9/3/2021 8:26pm
Bring shade, something to cover your skin, and stay hydrated.
Hammer 663s
9/3/2021 8:35pm
or in the EZup cover ; ) Save the Gatorade LOLLLOLL
Dude G2 and vodka is the perfect combination of hydration and intoxication. Lo cal too!!
9/3/2021 8:48pm
Bring your shade and buy some caution tape. Tape off your area, because when idiots that come late donโ€™t have a place to stand. Then they just move right in front of you, most of the time with a NASCAR t-shirt on.
Ted722
9/3/2021 9:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2021 8:21am
Some good tips in here. I like bringing my old am/fm radio (Radioshack๐Ÿ˜€) so I can listen to the track announcer (especially if Iโ€™m walking around the track, vendor areas or even in your seats watching the action).

Locally here (Hangtown), itโ€™s broadcast on a local โ€œtrack onlyโ€ FM frequency. Not sure if track announcer feed is streamed (so you can use your cell phone).
gartchen
9/3/2021 11:35pm
I hope this doesnโ€™t sound stupid. But sure take a few pictures with your phone during the day maybe if you get a close-up with a rider or some thing in the pits.

BUT. Put down your phone put down your video camera or whatever it is that you have and just enjoy the race.

The first race I went to was at Redbud. I took all kinds of video I took all kinds of pictures. It was still fun but it didnโ€™t make for the experience that it shouldโ€™ve been.

I went to a race at High Point about a year later just put my phone in my pocket and enjoyed the day. You see pictures of people at the races looking through their phone at what is right in front of them. I did that. After the fact I realized how much it sucked. So I didnโ€™t do it again at the three or four Iโ€™ve been to since and I so much more enjoyed the day.

Iโ€™m not assuming that you would be doing the view through your phone kind of experience but just in case :-)

There is nothing on the planet like watching an outdoor motocross race at that level. It will Absolutely blow your mind how fast theyโ€™re going.

Enjoy your time and have a great day!
Nairb#70
9/4/2021 7:28am
Have fun, it makes for an awesome day.
cwtoyota
9/4/2021 9:06am
Move around to watch different parts of the track during the motos.
(You miss so much cool stuff if you just linger in one spot).

Put the live timing and scoring links from the AMA in your favorites on your phone.
(It's nice to be able to see the lap times during qualifying).

Live Timing:
http://americanmotocrosslive.com/

Results for Fox Raceway #2:
http://www.americanmotocrossresults.com/2021/index.html?EventID=M2155

parkman
Fantasy
1524th
9/4/2021 10:02am
Thanks so much guys, huge help! Love the moto family ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘Š
9/4/2021 10:11am
No backpack coolers this time around. Maybe next time. I was cleared to go in then the golf course principal stopped me
brettmx
9/4/2021 11:58am
CG118 wrote:
Enjoy. The speed and skill will amaze you. Your jaw will hit the floor. Take Advil.
Yes, the guy running in 20th is hauling ass too. It's hard to see the differences in speed actually. The front guys are just going fractionally faster around the whole track. And that adds up.

Post a reply to: Going To Watch My First National, Tips?

The Latest