Goggle lenses and hidden super kickers

mxfuture
3/16/2022 10:02am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2022 1:37pm
Curious if anyone has used a persimmons lens and found out the hard way that it hid details in the face of a jump?

Specifically, I found a kicker in a face that was unbelievably violent. So violent that I am shocked I did not see it. The violence of said kicker is pretty much the last thing I remember. A sunny day on a sand track in the PNW. First real ride of the season. This is something I have never experienced.. I've always seen kickers and have no problem riding them.

Anyone?

|
3/16/2022 10:09am
I hear ya man, those "old school" lens colors are obsolete compared to the modern lens technology.
I use the Prizm from Oakley but I assume the 100% version (Hiper) is just as good.
I feel like I can see everything down in the ruts and on rutted jump faces because those lenses seem to really crank up the contrast.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
3/16/2022 10:25am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 10:26am
I don't know but just the thought of wearing persimmon lenses in full sun gives me a headache. Those are meant for very low light conditions, maybe in the sun they blow out all contrast.
mxfuture
3/16/2022 10:29am
I hear ya man, those "old school" lens colors are obsolete compared to the modern lens technology. I use the Prizm from Oakley but I assume...
I hear ya man, those "old school" lens colors are obsolete compared to the modern lens technology.
I use the Prizm from Oakley but I assume the 100% version (Hiper) is just as good.
I feel like I can see everything down in the ruts and on rutted jump faces because those lenses seem to really crank up the contrast.
thanks for the reply. time for change..
mxfuture
3/16/2022 10:31am
GrapeApe wrote:
I don't know but just the thought of wearing persimmon lenses in full sun gives me a headache. Those are meant for very low light conditions...
I don't know but just the thought of wearing persimmon lenses in full sun gives me a headache. Those are meant for very low light conditions, maybe in the sun they blow out all contrast.
Our typical track has dark dirt and that lens has always been pretty good.

The sand track says no f'ing way!

Not something I can allow to happen again. I'll be making a change.

Thanks for the reply..

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/16/2022 10:44am
I like the Happy Lens on my Spys. I tried one of those yellow lenses once and didn't like it, even in overcast conditions.
Leave Us To
3/16/2022 10:55am
Back in the day a yellow Carrera tinted lens (not as intense as persimmons) was standard issue for overcast days but never in bright sun or normal conditions.
3/16/2022 11:31am
Its hard to be a clear injection-molded lens. I have some of the jade (green) prizm lenses and they cause all kinds of weird reflections and hot spots for me. I liked persimmon lenses in the woods but I agree, they do you no favors in straight sunshine. In that case, I'll just use a smoke lens. When all else fails, go clear.
ocscottie
3/16/2022 11:48am
Don't know why but this made me think of the oldschool Scott "Gradient" lens way back in the day. Anyone remember those? Was right around 1981-82. Bummer, cant find a pic.
3/16/2022 11:51am
ocscottie wrote:
Don't know why but this made me think of the oldschool Scott "Gradient" lens way back in the day. Anyone remember those? Was right around 1981-82...
Don't know why but this made me think of the oldschool Scott "Gradient" lens way back in the day. Anyone remember those? Was right around 1981-82. Bummer, cant find a pic.
How about the hologram lenses!?!?
ocscottie
3/16/2022 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 12:17pm
ocscottie wrote:
Don't know why but this made me think of the oldschool Scott "Gradient" lens way back in the day. Anyone remember those? Was right around 1981-82...
How about the hologram lenses!?!?
Oh yeah those were a trip. As a kid I always used rose colored lenses.

TooTallJason
Fantasy
979th
3/16/2022 12:25pm
Oakley Prizm lenses have ruined my ability to buy cheap goggles.

I'm addicted to buying gear, especially goggles. I can't convince myself to buy a halfway decent pair of sunglasses, but I have so many goggles. I just bought some of those Havoc goggles with the magnetic lenses to try out because I'm a sucker, put them on to ride and immediately turned around and put the Oakleys back on.
Skerby
3/16/2022 12:30pm
If you were riding Horn Rapids you should expect big kickers on the jump faces in the afternoon.I have seen some really nasty crashes out there, nearly avoiding my fair share. Mostly its people who havent ridden there much and get caught out by those kickers on the jump faces.

mxfuture
3/16/2022 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 12:43pm
Skerby wrote:
If you were riding Horn Rapids you should expect big kickers on the jump faces in the afternoon.I have seen some really nasty crashes out there...
If you were riding Horn Rapids you should expect big kickers on the jump faces in the afternoon.I have seen some really nasty crashes out there, nearly avoiding my fair share. Mostly its people who havent ridden there much and get caught out by those kickers on the jump faces.

that's where we were. We missed the first session but made the next one..

I've ridden there over a dozen times and am familiar with the kickers. My issue is not seeing the one I hit... at all!

No doubt my worst crash ever! The sheer violence of the kicker is the last thing I remember and nothing I can ever recall on a track. I cannot let that happen ever again! holy hell

3/16/2022 1:04pm
I've tried colored/tinted lenses and never felt comfortable and al ways found myself misreading, or in some cases not seeing an object on the track at all. Been wearing only clear lenses for the last 20+ years.
Skerby
3/16/2022 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 1:11pm

Is this you in front of YZ guy in this picture? Airway circa 2017, yz guy is me btw.
Rickyisms
3/16/2022 2:22pm
I’ve always been a clear guy, with a light smoke in the goggle case just in case.
Munson'd
Fantasy
1022nd
3/16/2022 3:05pm
I bought a persimmon lens for cloudy days. That didn’t work for shit on a sand track, I couldn’t see anything. I go clear or smoke.
chuckie108
3/16/2022 5:08pm
How old are you? I had a similar thing happen to me- ended up with fractured C6 and C7 from going OTB at speed. I knew my eyesight had degraded a bit after getting over 40, but the the slow degradation and my hardheadedness kept me from realizing how bad it was(I'm also perfect within 10-12 feet so don't have issues with daily living/work etc.). Went to the Doc and got checked, ended up with a prescription for glasses/contacts. First time I rode with them I was literally shocked with how much of the track/trail I wasn't seeing before. Not sure if you're in this demo, but for sure something to consider at some point.
mxfuture
3/17/2022 3:06pm
Skerby wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/03/16/538426/s1200_Airway250.jpg[/img] Is this you in front of YZ guy in this picture? Airway circa 2017, yz guy is me btw.

Is this you in front of YZ guy in this picture? Airway circa 2017, yz guy is me btw.
Looks like it. When I was on a honda thumper..

I had a Honda 2 stroke for a minute until my son bought a 2021 YZ250. I rode his bike for 20 minutes and that was the last time I rode my honda.

Absolutely love the Y Z.
mxfuture
3/17/2022 3:08pm
chuckie108 wrote:
How old are you? I had a similar thing happen to me- ended up with fractured C6 and C7 from going OTB at speed. I knew...
How old are you? I had a similar thing happen to me- ended up with fractured C6 and C7 from going OTB at speed. I knew my eyesight had degraded a bit after getting over 40, but the the slow degradation and my hardheadedness kept me from realizing how bad it was(I'm also perfect within 10-12 feet so don't have issues with daily living/work etc.). Went to the Doc and got checked, ended up with a prescription for glasses/contacts. First time I rode with them I was literally shocked with how much of the track/trail I wasn't seeing before. Not sure if you're in this demo, but for sure something to consider at some point.
47 cough, cough..

I just tell people I'm 23 and a half. Lol. 1/2 years.
BAD10
3/17/2022 3:12pm
mxfuture wrote:
Curious if anyone has used a persimmons lens and found out the hard way that it hid details in the face of a jump? Specifically, I...
Curious if anyone has used a persimmons lens and found out the hard way that it hid details in the face of a jump?

Specifically, I found a kicker in a face that was unbelievably violent. So violent that I am shocked I did not see it. The violence of said kicker is pretty much the last thing I remember. A sunny day on a sand track in the PNW. First real ride of the season. This is something I have never experienced.. I've always seen kickers and have no problem riding them.

Anyone?

Interesting. My experience is the opposite. I have recently switched to those lenses and have found them to be a big help! My eyesight is not what it used to be, and have a hard time picking up surface detail, especially in low light areas. These lenses have lessened that problem for me.
mxfuture
3/17/2022 3:21pm
BAD10 wrote:
Interesting. My experience is the opposite. I have recently switched to those lenses and have found them to be a big help! My eyesight is not...
Interesting. My experience is the opposite. I have recently switched to those lenses and have found them to be a big help! My eyesight is not what it used to be, and have a hard time picking up surface detail, especially in low light areas. These lenses have lessened that problem for me.
I think they're good lenses to be used in dark terrain or overcast days. My eyesight hasn't been enough of an issue for me to have it checked out and I have never hit a kicker I did not see. This thing was massive and I saw no hint of it.

I would say bright days and a light terrain/ sand track are not a good combo for that lens. Our normal track is darker dirt and I've never had an issue there
mxfuture
3/29/2022 9:06pm
Skerby wrote:
If you were riding Horn Rapids you should expect big kickers on the jump faces in the afternoon.I have seen some really nasty crashes out there...

Since it sounds like you're a regular at Horn, can you answer a question?

The table/step down before the big table in the center of the track. Does it commonly develop a nasty kicker on the inside/left of the face?
PNWMXer
3/29/2022 9:45pm
Skerby wrote:

mxfuture wrote:
Since it sounds like you're a regular at Horn, can you answer a question? The table/step down before the big table in the center of the...
Since it sounds like you're a regular at Horn, can you answer a question?

The table/step down before the big table in the center of the track. Does it commonly develop a nasty kicker on the inside/left of the face?
If you mean the one after the left hand bowl turn, absolutely. That jump gets some nasty stuff on the face from folks trying to build speed on the face instead of the corner. I’ve had a couple underwear tightening moments on that one, lol…
mxfuture
3/29/2022 10:28pm
PNWMXer wrote:
If you mean the one after the left hand bowl turn, absolutely. That jump gets some nasty stuff on the face from folks trying to build...
If you mean the one after the left hand bowl turn, absolutely. That jump gets some nasty stuff on the face from folks trying to build speed on the face instead of the corner. I’ve had a couple underwear tightening moments on that one, lol…
The one just before that left-hand bowl turn is the one I was asking about.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2520th
3/29/2022 10:42pm
I really wish goggle mfgs would give clear images of what the color filters look like from the eye side of the lens. Half the lens tints out there either wash out detail or induce headaches.
Dirt.Squirt
3/29/2022 11:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2022 11:21pm
mxfuture wrote:
Our typical track has dark dirt and that lens has always been pretty good. The sand track says no f'ing way! Not something I can allow...
Our typical track has dark dirt and that lens has always been pretty good.

The sand track says no f'ing way!

Not something I can allow to happen again. I'll be making a change.

Thanks for the reply..
What track was this at?
TheRookie
3/30/2022 4:53am
I picked up a pair of Oakleys a while back simply because my wife worked there so they were cheap. They have a set of Red Prizm lenses on them and F&^% they are good. I have been able to wear them in both sunny and overcast days without issues. I have a set of 100% Armega with the HiPER lenses which are good as well, but the Oakleys are on another level. If you're looking for something to a similar effect of the Yellow lenses you posted above I would look into Oakley.
dust1905
3/30/2022 5:38am
I have had pretty good luck with them in the woods on most days. Then last fall I rode in a sunny october day and the sunlight along with it blasting off the leaves totally saturated everything out plus glare. After that lap I swapped out to the clears and had much better luck haha.

Post a reply to: Goggle lenses and hidden super kickers

The Latest