GoPro Info

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/13/2014 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2014 9:06am
So, I am a lot late to the GoPro party, but since I moved to Colorado a year ago - almost everything I do could and should be recorded.

Whether it is snowboarding down from the highest chairlift in North America, moto riding up and over awe inspiring mountain passes, flying down some of the best mountain bike trails in the world - as you can probably tell, I need a GoPro bigtime!

It just so happens that my birthday is tomorrow and I am going to splurge on myself.

I am looking for some info on which one to buy, which mounts work best for moto and snowboarding, what extras are worth it, does the new LCD screen thingy really work for use as a camera?

Any info you may have will be greatly appreciated. And then I can film stuff like this.

|
peelout
3/13/2014 12:30pm
get a gopro and start posting all that awesome shit you do (minus the splurging on yourself)

get the wireless switch thingy, the camera should come with all the mounts you'll need (i mounted mine under my visor, gives an awesome view for moto)
DoctorJD
3/13/2014 12:32pm
Well, I was a little late to the party myself. I inherited my son's Hero when he got the new Hero 3 for Christmas. I've been busy buying mounts ever since. I ski, so not sure how much help I can be (ironically, I was in Breckenridge a couple of weeks ago). I found that the helmet mount and chest mount were to go-to mounts for skiing. I used the chest mount almost exclusively. My son swears by the telescoping pole for snow boarding (the vids he's been working on look killer with that perspective) He's also toyed with some board-mounts as well as helmet mounts.

For moto, I like the helmet mount. The chest mount perspective just doesn't do it for me. It seems like the tank and bars are the star of the show, and you see a little action beyond them.

For mountain biking, I started toying with some bar mounts this past weekend. I got some really cool rear-facing shots where I had the camera mounted to my seat post. You could see the rear tire working the trail and it was incredibly smooth (full suspension). The front-facing (bar mount) perspective was okay, but too shaky for my taste. Again, the (strap) helmet mount is my favorite perspective.

I've got a tripod mount and a suction cup mount on order as we speak. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, but we'll see.

One more thing: Not sure if its necessary on the newer GoPros, but if they make a water-resistant back panel, I'd get it for snowboarding. I forgot to put mine on the first day, and I got a ton of condensation inside the housing.
ZOOK250
3/13/2014 12:33pm
there are 3 versions, white is the lowest, silver is mid range and black is the top of the line. quite a difference between the white to the black.
MXNoob#43
3/13/2014 12:35pm
Love that trail - not a chairlift tho :-). I remember my first time up that lift - I sat before the rope pulled duh! GoPro or go home. I have no advise. Just buy one and jam it on your helmet :-).

The Shop

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/13/2014 12:48pm
peelout wrote:
get a gopro and start posting all that awesome shit you do (minus the splurging on yourself) get the wireless switch thingy, the camera should come...
get a gopro and start posting all that awesome shit you do (minus the splurging on yourself)

get the wireless switch thingy, the camera should come with all the mounts you'll need (i mounted mine under my visor, gives an awesome view for moto)
Wireless switch allows you to start and stop recording easily?
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/13/2014 12:51pm
DoctorJD wrote:
Well, I was a little late to the party myself. I inherited my son's Hero when he got the new Hero 3 for Christmas. I've been...
Well, I was a little late to the party myself. I inherited my son's Hero when he got the new Hero 3 for Christmas. I've been busy buying mounts ever since. I ski, so not sure how much help I can be (ironically, I was in Breckenridge a couple of weeks ago). I found that the helmet mount and chest mount were to go-to mounts for skiing. I used the chest mount almost exclusively. My son swears by the telescoping pole for snow boarding (the vids he's been working on look killer with that perspective) He's also toyed with some board-mounts as well as helmet mounts.

For moto, I like the helmet mount. The chest mount perspective just doesn't do it for me. It seems like the tank and bars are the star of the show, and you see a little action beyond them.

For mountain biking, I started toying with some bar mounts this past weekend. I got some really cool rear-facing shots where I had the camera mounted to my seat post. You could see the rear tire working the trail and it was incredibly smooth (full suspension). The front-facing (bar mount) perspective was okay, but too shaky for my taste. Again, the (strap) helmet mount is my favorite perspective.

I've got a tripod mount and a suction cup mount on order as we speak. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, but we'll see.

One more thing: Not sure if its necessary on the newer GoPros, but if they make a water-resistant back panel, I'd get it for snowboarding. I forgot to put mine on the first day, and I got a ton of condensation inside the housing.
While snowboarding, your chest is facing sideways, so I would probably have to do a helmet mount.

The idea of a board mount seems crazy cool.

Can't wait to start experimenting.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/13/2014 12:52pm
ZOOK250 wrote:
there are 3 versions, white is the lowest, silver is mid range and black is the top of the line. quite a difference between the white...
there are 3 versions, white is the lowest, silver is mid range and black is the top of the line. quite a difference between the white to the black.
I was thinking the Silver. Guess I need to look up the exact differences.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/13/2014 12:54pm
MXNoob#43 wrote:
Love that trail - not a chairlift tho :-). I remember my first time up that lift - I sat before the rope pulled duh! GoPro...
Love that trail - not a chairlift tho :-). I remember my first time up that lift - I sat before the rope pulled duh! GoPro or go home. I have no advise. Just buy one and jam it on your helmet :-).
You are talking about the T-Bar, but there is actually a 2-seater lift up there now called the 6 Chair that takes you right to the bottom of Imperial.

The T-Bar would be ROUGH on a snowboard! My plan is to never do that.
peelout
3/13/2014 12:55pm
peelout wrote:
get a gopro and start posting all that awesome shit you do (minus the splurging on yourself) get the wireless switch thingy, the camera should come...

disbanded wrote:
Wireless switch allows you to start and stop recording easily?
yep, pretty sure you can switch modes on the fly with it as well
ZOOK250
3/13/2014 12:58pm
I think the black series comes with the wireless remote, the silver is close in specs and does not have the remote. it can be added later to the silver if I remember correctly. we have the black version and use it for moto and snowboarding, even used it during hockey practice...
DoctorJD
3/13/2014 1:19pm
DoctorJD wrote:
Well, I was a little late to the party myself. I inherited my son's Hero when he got the new Hero 3 for Christmas. I've been...

disbanded wrote:
While snowboarding, your chest is facing sideways, so I would probably have to do a helmet mount. The idea of a board mount seems crazy cool...
While snowboarding, your chest is facing sideways, so I would probably have to do a helmet mount.

The idea of a board mount seems crazy cool.

Can't wait to start experimenting.
If you don't get anything else for snowboarding, get the telescoping pole. Really cool. Check YouTube, there are some tutorials on how to make those things on the cheap.
IceMan446
3/13/2014 1:28pm
Save the money on the LCD screen and download the gopro app. You can see what you are recording and set the angle of the camera. You can also start and stop, turn off, change settings all on your phone with the app. By far the best thing about the 3+ with the WiFi. Spend the money and get the Black edition.

The Black edition also comes with the WiFi remote which is cool once you get your settings figured out.

There is a mount pack you can buy for 20 bucks (I think) that allows some different mounting options. I also got the surf kit which comes with a safety wire that attaches seperate from the GoPro mount incase it comes off you wont lose it. Not sure it will work with a chest mount though.

Im still getting the hang of mine so I am sure I a missing some key things.
imoto316
3/13/2014 1:36pm
My Silver HD3+ is on it's way back to GoPro for fixing. The thing just locked up on me after a scuba dive.

Wireless will let you control the camera via smartphone and let you see through the lens a bit. I'm not sure if it's in real time though. This is cheaper than buying the LCD backpac. It will come in handy when making sure you have the correct angles when using a helmet. Turn wireless off once you've set it up because it goes through batteries like nothing. I wouldn't expect more than an hour's worth of recording time.

Black takes a more expensive microsd card. Silver is about half as much.

You can make a extending pole from pvc pipe.

Good luck
catatonic
3/13/2014 1:36pm
I've got the silver and its great......the gopro app is the way to go, turns your phone into a wireless remote.
I have the bar mount, hat clip, head strap and a ton of flat and curved mounts stuck to everything.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/13/2014 3:04pm
The LCD is amazing for checking your camera angle. The extra battery pack is also amazing because it will double the amount you can use it.

Those are the 2 items I highly recommend.

As far as mounts, I think any extending pole is best for snowboarding. If you get good powder, it's by far the best footage!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
3/13/2014 4:28pm
The GoPro app rocks. Only downside I've found is when using the wifi (which the app and the remote both use), the battery dies quite a bit quicker.

The Hero 3 white has the GoPro app capability, you don't need the 3+ to do that.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/13/2014 8:34pm
One more question. What is the situation with using the GoPro as a point and shoot type camera?

Is that possible? Does the LCD make that possible? Or should I just stick with my iPhone for pictures?
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/17/2014 11:05am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2014 11:10am
I went all out and ended up with the GoPro Black Hero 3 Plus. Went boarding yesterday and tried it out for the first time.
Can you find the Vital sticker on my board?

I plan on actually watching the video one day soon. Thanks for all the info.

Can't wait til the snow melts so I can start riding again.

Hello from Keystone, Colorado
IceMan446
3/17/2014 11:07am
Forgot to mention and didnt read everyone else's posts, but GoPro also makes and editor you can download for free that works pretty damn good for a free program. Better than imovie IMO.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
peelout
3/17/2014 11:19am
disbanded wrote:
One more question. What is the situation with using the GoPro as a point and shoot type camera? Is that possible? Does the LCD make that...
One more question. What is the situation with using the GoPro as a point and shoot type camera?

Is that possible? Does the LCD make that possible? Or should I just stick with my iPhone for pictures?
glad it all worked out for you.

to answer your question about using it as a point and shoot, you absolutely can. you can also set it to take pictures at intervals, awesome for trail riding.

here's a couple of my pictures

a still shot i snapped at the top of the peak

a couple in-action shot using the timed picture feature

Old-Man
3/17/2014 1:51pm
You'll have to go with us some year as we camp in TinCup, Colorado and ride all weekend

Sorry to get off topic, just seen where you moved here
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/17/2014 4:05pm
Old-Man wrote:
You'll have to go with us some year as we camp in TinCup, Colorado and ride all weekend [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/17/48592/s1200_TIN_CUP_6_07_002.jpg[/img] Sorry to get off topic, just seen...
You'll have to go with us some year as we camp in TinCup, Colorado and ride all weekend

Sorry to get off topic, just seen where you moved here
TinCup, Colorado? That sounds made up!

But if it's a real place, I am definitely interested.
mjskier
3/17/2014 4:22pm
disbanded wrote:
I went all out and ended up with the GoPro Black Hero 3 Plus. Went boarding yesterday and tried it out for the first time. Can...
I went all out and ended up with the GoPro Black Hero 3 Plus. Went boarding yesterday and tried it out for the first time.
Can you find the Vital sticker on my board?

I plan on actually watching the video one day soon. Thanks for all the info.

Can't wait til the snow melts so I can start riding again.

Hello from Keystone, Colorado
Bro! nobody told you yet?
Snowboarding is like the 2-stroke of the snow sliding world. All the cool kids are skiing now.
Barrett57
3/17/2014 4:29pm
I find this gives the best view for moto, not a fan of mounting on top of the helmet. This isn't my picture because i'm on the other side of the world from my home, but you get the idea.

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/17/2014 4:32pm
mjskier wrote:
Bro! nobody told you yet?
Snowboarding is like the 2-stroke of the snow sliding world. All the cool kids are skiing now.
I tried skiing once. i couldn't handle the fact that my feet kept going in different directions. Never again!
peelout
3/17/2014 4:34pm
Barrett57 wrote:
I find this gives the best view for moto, not a fan of mounting on top of the helmet. This isn't my picture because i'm on...
I find this gives the best view for moto, not a fan of mounting on top of the helmet. This isn't my picture because i'm on the other side of the world from my home, but you get the idea.

this is how mine is mounted... the videos look awesome from this view. i notice mine right at first but once i'm riding i hardly ever notice it in my view.

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/17/2014 4:35pm
Barrett57 wrote:
I find this gives the best view for moto, not a fan of mounting on top of the helmet. This isn't my picture because i'm on...

For sure going to try some different mounting locations other than on the top of the helmet.

I actually hit the camera a bunch of times on the chair lift.

I could see myself getting ripped off the back of my bike pretty easily if I caught it on something like a tree limb.
jchek779
3/17/2014 6:23pm
The chest mount strap puts the GoPro too low on the chest for moto. I've had good luck with a flat mount on the front of my chest protector. It's high enough that the chin of my helmet will get into it from time to time.

Don't limit yourself to just what GoPro offers. The problem with mounting it on your helmet is that it seems to slow things down. I enjoy figuring out ways to try to capture the speed at which I'm going such that the viewer gets a sense for how gnarly things really are.

mjskier
3/17/2014 7:02pm
disbanded wrote:
For sure going to try some different mounting locations other than on the top of the helmet. I actually hit the camera a bunch of times...
For sure going to try some different mounting locations other than on the top of the helmet.

I actually hit the camera a bunch of times on the chair lift.

I could see myself getting ripped off the back of my bike pretty easily if I caught it on something like a tree limb.
I'm surprised I don't see a bunch of cameras under the chairlift. When mounted on top of the helmet they are an easy target when people slam the foot rest without warning.
Old-Man
3/17/2014 9:26pm
No, it's not real. Stick to the slopes kid.

Post a reply to: GoPro Info

The Latest