GoPro 9 vs GoPro 8 for amateur videos

Sunhouse
Edited Date/Time 11/11/2020 10:43am
I have a GoPro 4 Silver which I enjoy for filming and extracting HD pictures from the vids. Except for diving or selfie-filming, it is pretty much useless due to low fps and zero stabilization.

I need a new GoPro to film, and with the GP7 - 9 having stabilization and Hypersmooth, I´m going to get one to dabble at simple videos. The GoPro9 is in short supply at the moment, but is also brand new, and with future updates it can get really good. According to current tests the touch screen is slow to react and not that impressive an upgrade from the GP8. So I´m thinking the 8 is ok, it has poorer HDR, slightly poorer stabilization and timelapse, but could be ok for an amateur...? Another downside of the 8 is that you can´t remove the lenses, meaning you have to replace the entire camera if the lens is scratched. But I usually use a cover anyways...?

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences? The price difference is quite substantial, but I would go with GP9 for the future upgrades and new features. Also, buying "old" doesn´t always make sense. My wallet says GP-7 or 8 though. I will not be getting the GoPro subscribtion btw, as they don´t offer replacement cameras in my country for some strange reason.
Any advice or input is appreciated.
|
Donkey Kong
10/19/2020 2:49pm
I went from a hero 3 silver to an 8 black and the video quality so much better. From what I know about the 9 is that if you want to use as an all around camera it's better as it has the selfie screen on the front. For just helmet cam footage though I'm not sure there's much to talk about it being better than the 8.
Sunhouse
10/19/2020 2:55pm
I went from a hero 3 silver to an 8 black and the video quality so much better. From what I know about the 9 is...
I went from a hero 3 silver to an 8 black and the video quality so much better. From what I know about the 9 is that if you want to use as an all around camera it's better as it has the selfie screen on the front. For just helmet cam footage though I'm not sure there's much to talk about it being better than the 8.
Thanks for the feedback! Are you happy with the 8 for helmet cam footage?
Not sure I need the front screen anymore, as it isn´t a touch screen, but ok for alligning the cam I suppose.
The extra fps and 20MP vs 12MP could make a difference in stills too, but not sure it is worth the extra money for an amateur like me.
Have you tried or compared the stills from Hero 3 to your new 8?
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
10/19/2020 2:59pm
8 is the way to go imo. The only selling point on the 9 is the front facing screen which is essentially useless. Just pair the camera to your phone to see where it’s pointing or look at the main screen before you press record. Use the The money saved to buy extra batteries and memory Cards. The 9s battery life is horrific
Sunhouse
10/19/2020 3:09pm
bigk218 wrote:
8 is the way to go imo. The only selling point on the 9 is the front facing screen which is essentially useless. Just pair the...
8 is the way to go imo. The only selling point on the 9 is the front facing screen which is essentially useless. Just pair the camera to your phone to see where it’s pointing or look at the main screen before you press record. Use the The money saved to buy extra batteries and memory Cards. The 9s battery life is horrific
Thanks man! Solid advice.
Just one question: Do you have the 9? All tests I´ve read and seen on YT claim the battery life on the 9 is better?

The Shop

bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
10/19/2020 3:50pm
bigk218 wrote:
8 is the way to go imo. The only selling point on the 9 is the front facing screen which is essentially useless. Just pair the...
Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks man! Solid advice. Just one question: Do you have the 9? All tests I´ve read and seen on YT claim the battery life on the...
Thanks man! Solid advice.
Just one question: Do you have the 9? All tests I´ve read and seen on YT claim the battery life on the 9 is better?
I do have a 9. I hear that the battery life’s similar to the 8 but have no personal experience with the 8. The 8 is less expensive so buy extra batts.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
10/19/2020 3:50pm
I went from the H3 Silver to the 8. Camera is so good! The hypersmooth stabilization is the best thing about this camera. Able to record 4k 60fps is really nice especially if you trying to grab a frame from a video. Battery is only good for around 1.5 hours for me recording at 2.7k at 60 fps. Colors are good and there is enough in camera settings to adjust it on the fly. Also 64 gb M-SD cards are pretty much the mininum for this camera. A 5 min 60 fps 2.7k clip is 5gb. Eats cards up.
If you have a pre hero 7, then its a no brainer to upgrade. If you have a 7 or 8. The 9 is a little better in some aspects but not worth the price tag imo
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/19/2020 4:20pm
bigk218 wrote:
I do have a 9. I hear that the battery life’s similar to the 8 but have no personal experience with the 8. The 8 is...
I do have a 9. I hear that the battery life’s similar to the 8 but have no personal experience with the 8. The 8 is less expensive so buy extra batts.
From what I've read the GoPro 9's battery life is supposed to be noticeably improved.
Sunhouse
10/19/2020 4:30pm
Leeham wrote:
I went from the H3 Silver to the 8. Camera is so good! The hypersmooth stabilization is the best thing about this camera. Able to record...
I went from the H3 Silver to the 8. Camera is so good! The hypersmooth stabilization is the best thing about this camera. Able to record 4k 60fps is really nice especially if you trying to grab a frame from a video. Battery is only good for around 1.5 hours for me recording at 2.7k at 60 fps. Colors are good and there is enough in camera settings to adjust it on the fly. Also 64 gb M-SD cards are pretty much the mininum for this camera. A 5 min 60 fps 2.7k clip is 5gb. Eats cards up.
If you have a pre hero 7, then its a no brainer to upgrade. If you have a 7 or 8. The 9 is a little better in some aspects but not worth the price tag imo
Thanks for the advice. I think I may go with the 8 then. It´s cheaper and should be ok for my use. The 9 and the MAX cost the same but I´m not sure I can use all the features anyways. Most interested in slow-mo, hypersmooth and HDR, which is very good on the 8 too apparently.
Sunhouse
10/19/2020 4:32pm
bigk218 wrote:
I do have a 9. I hear that the battery life’s similar to the 8 but have no personal experience with the 8. The 8 is...
SPYGUY wrote:
From what I've read the GoPro 9's battery life is supposed to be noticeably improved.
Yeah, I read and saw approx 30% better, and substantially better in the cold, which the 8´s battery couldn´t handle. Could get a few extra batteries for the price diff
yzf162
10/20/2020 6:32am
Anyone have a gp360 thinking of picking one up. Anygood?
lumpy790
10/20/2020 7:24am
Saw a couple days ago that the 9 is selling at $100 off. Is a new 10 coming out soon?
chrisg19
Fantasy
4437th
10/20/2020 7:43am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2020 7:45am
I am not sure of the price difference between the 8 and 9, but the 8 is more than capable of giving you a high quality amateur video. I use the GoPro 8 black for helmet cam footage, and I think the quality is really good. I use the Dango Designs helmet gripper thing found here Dango Designs . On my TLD helmet it tend to slip because of the foam recess on the nose of the helmet, so I also zip tie it on that one. No slippage on a Bell MOTO 9. For actual shooting I shoot in 2.7k at 60 frames per second, hypersmooth high, and the wide mode lens. Make sure you get the super suit for lens protection. The 8 lens is not interchangeable, like the 7 or 9, so you don’t want to break it. Rocks have broken the lens on the super suit, but the camera lens on the 8 has survived, so I would definitely recommend that.

Here is a link Of some vintage racing at Thunder Valley in Colorado using the 8, the settings, and setup above. I did a few minor exposure, and color adjustments but it’s pretty close to right out of the camera. I am very pleased with the 8, and will skip the 9. For me personally I don’t need any of the newer features at this time. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Stephon
10/20/2020 7:53am
Generally, I keep things a long time so I try to get the latest tech at the time of purchase, without breaking my bank. Bought an 8 in a pinch a few months ago to use for self-tape auditions and action. A few weeks later I saw the that the 9 was coming out. A bigger battery and front facing camera definitely spoke to me so I returned it to Costco. I averaged the price difference over the typical amount of years I keep things and the difference was negligible. I assume Costco will have the 9 in stock soon and the bundle with include an extra battery, a grip, etc.
Sunhouse
10/20/2020 9:12am
chrisg19 wrote:
I am not sure of the price difference between the 8 and 9, but the 8 is more than capable of giving you a high quality...
I am not sure of the price difference between the 8 and 9, but the 8 is more than capable of giving you a high quality amateur video. I use the GoPro 8 black for helmet cam footage, and I think the quality is really good. I use the Dango Designs helmet gripper thing found here Dango Designs . On my TLD helmet it tend to slip because of the foam recess on the nose of the helmet, so I also zip tie it on that one. No slippage on a Bell MOTO 9. For actual shooting I shoot in 2.7k at 60 frames per second, hypersmooth high, and the wide mode lens. Make sure you get the super suit for lens protection. The 8 lens is not interchangeable, like the 7 or 9, so you don’t want to break it. Rocks have broken the lens on the super suit, but the camera lens on the 8 has survived, so I would definitely recommend that.

Here is a link Of some vintage racing at Thunder Valley in Colorado using the 8, the settings, and setup above. I did a few minor exposure, and color adjustments but it’s pretty close to right out of the camera. I am very pleased with the 8, and will skip the 9. For me personally I don’t need any of the newer features at this time. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Thanks for the tips and feedback! It sure looks good. Only thing I will miss from the 9 is the front screen, the ability to set timelaps start time, and lens changes. So if I want to timelaps a sunset or something, I won´t have to be there to press record. These aren´t major issues for a user like me, so I think I may take your advice. Although I have been thinking in the lines of Stephon too
Sunhouse
10/20/2020 9:15am
Stephon wrote:
Generally, I keep things a long time so I try to get the latest tech at the time of purchase, without breaking my bank. Bought an...
Generally, I keep things a long time so I try to get the latest tech at the time of purchase, without breaking my bank. Bought an 8 in a pinch a few months ago to use for self-tape auditions and action. A few weeks later I saw the that the 9 was coming out. A bigger battery and front facing camera definitely spoke to me so I returned it to Costco. I averaged the price difference over the typical amount of years I keep things and the difference was negligible. I assume Costco will have the 9 in stock soon and the bundle with include an extra battery, a grip, etc.
Do you find the front screen helps when filming auditions?
I have seen from various tests and comparisons on YT that there is no proper wide angle feature on the 9, making all selfie shots very close, unless you pay $99 for the MAX lens. Do you find this annoying or is it workable?

Thanks for the feedback btw, agree on buying the latest if you keep it a long time. That was my initial idea too
Zachintosh
10/20/2020 9:34am
I bought the 9 and returned it a couple days later. It’s noticeably larger and heavier than the 7/8. The 9 is catered towards bloggers, hence the front camera. GoPro really needs to pack all the features of the 8 into a Session-sized cube (or smaller).
chrisg19
Fantasy
4437th
10/20/2020 10:44am
Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks for the tips and feedback! It sure looks good. Only thing I will miss from the 9 is the front screen, the ability to set...
Thanks for the tips and feedback! It sure looks good. Only thing I will miss from the 9 is the front screen, the ability to set timelaps start time, and lens changes. So if I want to timelaps a sunset or something, I won´t have to be there to press record. These aren´t major issues for a user like me, so I think I may take your advice. Although I have been thinking in the lines of Stephon too
Your welcome. I have done a lot of experimenting and learning with the GoPro 7 and 8. If you need any help with other settings, and stuff once you choose yours, I'd be happy to help.
AxlBundy
10/20/2020 11:17am
If you already have a 7/8 and extra batteries, Id stay 8, but if it was my first GP, Id go 9 and work from there
MudPup545
10/20/2020 11:22am
Bought my Hero 7 Black as part of an Amazon bundle deal. Came with two extra batteries and two SD cards. The very next day the 9 was released. Oh well.....life happens. This is my first ever GoPro and I’m not exactly tech savvy so, that brings me to this question.

When I select to record in 4K it says that stabilization is not supported. So.....does that mean I’m going to get a bouncing, shaking video that will look like crap?

And I use the ProShot mount which I love. Great point of view in my opinion.
AxlBundy
10/20/2020 11:45am
Note to future first time buyers. Stay away from bundles unless you absolutely know what you are doing

They are very finicky with memory cards. And space is a premium. 128gb is about the smallest Id suggest. Costco has a 2 pack of Sandisk Extreme ultra's for about 50. Good for 2:31 each at 4K60

Extra batteries are mandatory. 4-6 seems to be about right if you want to shoot a 128gb card worth

And after that is all said and done, the above is the cheap part. A computer set up just to edit 4K is going to be north of 2K at the min. Terabytes of data, power hungry video, and so on. Plus learning curve to edit good videos.

Almost the best thing to do if you are not going to go head over heals in videos is to just buy cheap, edit basic videos on your phone and never even consider going all in.

AngryBear
10/20/2020 11:59am
AxlBundy wrote:
Note to future first time buyers. Stay away from bundles unless you absolutely know what you are doing They are very finicky with memory cards. And...
Note to future first time buyers. Stay away from bundles unless you absolutely know what you are doing

They are very finicky with memory cards. And space is a premium. 128gb is about the smallest Id suggest. Costco has a 2 pack of Sandisk Extreme ultra's for about 50. Good for 2:31 each at 4K60

Extra batteries are mandatory. 4-6 seems to be about right if you want to shoot a 128gb card worth

And after that is all said and done, the above is the cheap part. A computer set up just to edit 4K is going to be north of 2K at the min. Terabytes of data, power hungry video, and so on. Plus learning curve to edit good videos.

Almost the best thing to do if you are not going to go head over heals in videos is to just buy cheap, edit basic videos on your phone and never even consider going all in.

this.

make sure you understand the editing pipeline before you decide you need 4k video.

as others have said, g7-9 is worlds better than 6 and older, the stabilization was a huge advancement. biggest change on g7->8 was that most of the older mounts/accessories are now invalid as it has built in mount tabs. the g9 takes the accessories further with mics/lights/etc.

all 3 are fantastic cameras, but if you are really just wanting a helmet cam, look for a good deal on a g7/8, and save the money or get a handful of spare batteries, you'll be surprised how fast you burn through them, ecsp if you are shooting high resolution and also have GPS turned on...
chrisg19
Fantasy
4437th
10/20/2020 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2020 12:11pm
MudPup545 wrote:
Bought my Hero 7 Black as part of an Amazon bundle deal. Came with two extra batteries and two SD cards. The very next day the...
Bought my Hero 7 Black as part of an Amazon bundle deal. Came with two extra batteries and two SD cards. The very next day the 9 was released. Oh well.....life happens. This is my first ever GoPro and I’m not exactly tech savvy so, that brings me to this question.

When I select to record in 4K it says that stabilization is not supported. So.....does that mean I’m going to get a bouncing, shaking video that will look like crap?

And I use the ProShot mount which I love. Great point of view in my opinion.
Yeah, I wouldn't shoot MX videos without some sort of stabilization. Now that being said there are software programs that will take out some of the shakiness to varying degrees of acceptability. One such program is Reel Steady. It uses the Gyro data from the camera to work as a stabilizer during editing. The program does not work if any sort of in camera stabilizing has been used, so that should fit the bill for the 4K 60 videos. Reel Steady Website. I haven't used Reel Steady, but it looks pretty good, and the company was bought by GoPro, so I am guessing they would work well together. Beyond that, I reference this page when I want to check which modes of Hypersmooth work with which exposure modes GoPro Hypersmooth modes.

Lastly the GPS data in the GoPro 8 does not work in the GoPro Quik App, so you can't add things like speedometer, or course preview. There is a user made program that takes the data from your camera's GPS, and makes it so those things can be used in your videos. I have only tried the free version but it's pretty cool to look at. Not sure why Go Pro has not addressed this, but if you want to check out your GPS data go here Go Pro Telemetry Extractor click the free link, and choose video than click the different links to see things like speed, and overlays of google maps and stuff.

Edited to add - The Reel Steady program will work with GoPro cameras 5 and up. So a good deal on a 5, 6 or 7 may be able to give you a good quality stabilized video for a lot less money.
AxlBundy
10/20/2020 12:56pm
Id also like to say the difference between 2.7K and 4K is very minimal on YT and can really help an underpowered computer yet its HD enough to trigger YT to give you the VP09 codec for good looking videos
YZed250
10/20/2020 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2020 4:26pm
I found this link pretty handy on setup and battery life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClaNfaC3j4M
I'm leaning toward a GP7 or 8 with a super suite (protective case) for recording helmet cam footage with the camera mounted under my visor. Just not too sure how to deal with cleaning roost in my 50 minute races.
EriCS1991
10/20/2020 2:59pm
Looking into purchasing one as well, any reason not to go with the 7?
10/20/2020 3:30pm
Avoid the 8 at all costs, it does not have a replaceable front lense. If your filming anything on the bike this is a must, very easy for roost to smash the lense. The 7 and 9 do.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
10/20/2020 3:40pm
My 7 black takes perfect videos.
My 7 black takes perfect videos.
This. Can’t imagine the video getting that much better after the 7 black.
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
10/20/2020 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2020 5:01pm
bigk218 wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
I honestly have no experience with the 8 so I don’t know. All I know is that the battery on my 9 is absolutely horrendous. If the 8 Is worse then the 9 that that’s really bad! Either way you’re going to need extra batteries and a much bigger memory card for starters
AngryBear
10/20/2020 5:36pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
Looking into purchasing one as well, any reason not to go with the 7?
nope, ecsp if you find it at a good deal. improvements on 8/9 are pretty nominal for most users. the biggest is that the 8+ have build in mount tabs. also as someone else said, the front lens isn't replaceable on 8+. I've already destroyed 1 lens in 15mo on my g7, so that wouldn't have been a fun discovery if i had an 8...

Post a reply to: GoPro 9 vs GoPro 8 for amateur videos

The Latest