Glendale SX track and stadium.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
Awesome track last night, it seems they do a great job at this stadium every year and make some unique sections. I really liked the two lane sand section. Does anyone know if they have more floor space to work with? it seems larger than a lot of the other stadiums. Cool
|
TeamGreen
1/26/2020 8:55am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2020 2:11pm
It does seem larger than most stadiums (floor space). That start-stretch was amazing. The stadium security staff/crew were awesome.
1/26/2020 8:59am
Thought the track was really boring, nothing challenging to set anyone apart. Lots of guys liked it though so jmo
downard254
1/26/2020 1:02pm
I generally liked the track and layout, but damn, that sure was a high speed track.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
1/26/2020 1:09pm
I believe it’s larger because that one side of the stadium opens up to slide the field in and out. They have real grass and move it outside to grow. I saw it on a discovery channel type show once.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/26/2020 2:17pm
SKIDLID wrote:
I believe it’s larger because that one side of the stadium opens up to slide the field in and out. They have real grass and move...
I believe it’s larger because that one side of the stadium opens up to slide the field in and out. They have real grass and move it outside to grow. I saw it on a discovery channel type show once.
They sure do a good job and its different than most of the other SXsCool
TXDirt
1/26/2020 2:22pm
It’s usually a great track. I don’t put yesterday’s track in that mix though. It was a good track. But not a great track like we expect.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
1/26/2020 3:31pm
Thought the track was really boring, nothing challenging to set anyone apart. Lots of guys liked it though so jmo
My thoughts exactly.

The gentle turns into the two long rhythm sections mad them quite one lines and coming into them with so much speed meant that they were pushing and gaining speed through the sections which they normally would.

The 5 pack to triple had two ways to get through but all it really did was make a mistake not lost as much time. The double double finish was Lame.

Sand was awesome. Whoops were awesome. Back and for the on the start straight was cool. The rest was lame and a waste of the floor space. And too fast. We’ve seen this year tight steep tracks are better for racing.

EngIceDave
1/26/2020 3:41pm
I think the track was great.
If you look at the qualifying lap times, a large amount of riders were only separated by tenths of a second.

Isn’t that what we hope for, close racing?
1/26/2020 3:42pm
Track was good, racing was dog shit...hopefully Ferrandis doesn’t listen to the masses bullshit and starts taking people out again soon
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
1/26/2020 3:50pm
They have about 30% more floor area than most new football stadium floors because the South grandstand area is removed to remove the grass field.

Most new stadiums have been horrible for Supercross track designs. The closer the stands are to the playing field the worse it gets for usable track area.

Motodave15
1/26/2020 3:58pm
I actually thought it was one of the shittier tracks this season so far. Seemed a bit one dimensional
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
1/26/2020 4:03pm
EngIceDave wrote:
I think the track was great. If you look at the qualifying lap times, a large amount of riders were only separated by tenths of a...
I think the track was great.
If you look at the qualifying lap times, a large amount of riders were only separated by tenths of a second.

Isn’t that what we hope for, close racing?
You don't get close racing when there is only one fast line. The track wasn't one lined per se, but it was one-fast-line. Meaning there was one line that was the fastest and everybody was on it. There wasn't much for battles, which made it boring. That's why all of the qualifying lap times were so close. The obstacles were pretty easy (for pros). When Austin Forkner has a really difficult time catching up to Derek Drake, you know its not an ideal track design.

I love the Glendale racing - its a great environment (crowd, stadium size, energy, etc), but in all honesty that was the worst layout since they started racing there.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3300th
1/26/2020 4:28pm
Imagine if the start straight and lanes went side to side instead of end to end 2 minute lap times lol.
FlaNard
1/26/2020 10:18pm
Agreed.
Crush
1/26/2020 10:51pm
It seemed to be the first of the mellower tracks of the season, the first few have been steeper/more abrupt. This seemed very flowy.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
1/26/2020 11:05pm
Crush wrote:
It seemed to be the first of the mellower tracks of the season, the first few have been steeper/more abrupt. This seemed very flowy.
I mean the jumps were big and the whoops were big. It was just a shit design.

The one fast line also seemed to protect the line especially having flown 90 degree corners into the long rhythm sections
Crush
1/26/2020 11:26pm
Crush wrote:
Zacka 161 wrote:
I mean the jumps were big and the whoops were big. It was just a shit design. The one fast line also seemed to protect the...
I mean the jumps were big and the whoops were big. It was just a shit design.

The one fast line also seemed to protect the line especially having flown 90 degree corners into the long rhythm sections
Not neccassarily talking about if big/long... they just seemed more like tracks the last few years, mellower transitions etc... the tracks have had jumps that have been pretty steep/abrupt this year thus far.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/26/2020 11:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2020 11:31pm
TbonesPop wrote:
You don't get close racing when there is only one fast line. The track wasn't one lined per se, but it was one-fast-line. Meaning there was...
You don't get close racing when there is only one fast line. The track wasn't one lined per se, but it was one-fast-line. Meaning there was one line that was the fastest and everybody was on it. There wasn't much for battles, which made it boring. That's why all of the qualifying lap times were so close. The obstacles were pretty easy (for pros). When Austin Forkner has a really difficult time catching up to Derek Drake, you know its not an ideal track design.

I love the Glendale racing - its a great environment (crowd, stadium size, energy, etc), but in all honesty that was the worst layout since they started racing there.
I will admit that I like a faster track but I agree that it makes some of the less technical riders closer to the speed of the fast guys.
philG
1/27/2020 1:34am
As soon as i saw the track map i knew it was going to be a strung out race.. 45 degree turns and a sweeper into the main rhythm lane didnt do it any favours.
Personally i think a start straight half the length and another loop at the far end would have been better.. And a wall jump out of the sand.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
1/27/2020 5:14am
I wish they used the floor space in a more interesting way. There's so much potential. Dont just waist a third of the damn floor space with a flat long straight you only use once and then just cross over with nothing interesting happening.

Use the long start straight to do a jump over the start straight, hook a 180 and jump over it again. It's been done before but with this much space they could even be bigger faster and wider jumps, like make a back to back jump over the start straight, but make the track twice as wide. Do an old school split lane setup and make the riders alternate the side they start on based on the Qualifying times....

From a tight 180, straight out the corner have a wall jump, then from that almost standstill have a rhythm section that goes total entire length of the stadium with a big ass bowl 180 at the end. Use the wall to bunch people up, The rhythm section sorts them out and then a pass can happen in the section or the bowl turn.

Have a wall jump the entire width of the 22 gates 5 metres out of the gate. Or even split the gate like they have done before so the track loops around to complete a lap it goes through the middle of the start and the wall is used again. This would make the wall jump out of the gate as wide and safe as it could be.

Have 2 x 360 degree corners using the over under bridges going each direction....

Make the first corner a sand corner.

Make the track tight, steep, technical and difficult to memorise and get down since you could bring the laptimes up to the 1:40 mark.

Theres so many cool interesting options they could utilise with so much floor space.

TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
1/27/2020 7:22am
The long start (over 160 yards, let that sink in....) and +60 mph speed at the start is one of the staples of the Glendale venue. I don't think that should change because they have had great racing there many times over in the past. And that start stretch is pretty crazy in person. This was just a really bad design with very few fast options for the riders. Every single 250 rider was hitting the quad in the first rhythm as an example. Go back and watch the races. You can clearly see all the take offs and landing spots on each part of the track by the changes in the color of dirt. There's another thread joking about "hitting marks". Hell, you can "see their marks" on the track. I don't think I saw any work being done to the track between mains other than the first corner and maybe one of the other bowl turns. Just a bad design and made for boring racing. Hope it is better next weekend.
MOTO1313
1/27/2020 7:27am
The start straight was amazing. The rest of the track wasn't.
Huey497
1/27/2020 9:40am
We left the race before the final set of mains because it was so boring. Not much to set anyone apart and not much for good battles.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
1/27/2020 9:47am
Start was okay, I guess, but so much space wasted to make that happen.

Post a reply to: Glendale SX track and stadium.

The Latest