Glen Helen booters.....DC?

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/20/2018 6:22pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
When did I miss this new term, "booters", and what exactly qualifies? I don't want to use the term completely wrong. Is a "booter" a long...
When did I miss this new term, "booters", and what exactly qualifies? I don't want to use the term completely wrong.

Is a "booter" a long jump? A dangerous jump? An uphill jump? I'd hate to get the wrong context......
The term has been around for years. I think anything where you get big/sick air is considered a "booter". I could be wrong on that but I know the term isn't new.

tp4
5/20/2018 6:24pm
Motodave15 wrote:

-- Press the little arrow on the right, to see what the triple step-up leads into
thats all cool for a trick rider but put 30 other riders and some not going speed..problems happen...just tame it down the racing will be better...and most will make it thru the season..
APLMAN99
5/20/2018 6:29pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
When did I miss this new term, "booters", and what exactly qualifies? I don't want to use the term completely wrong. Is a "booter" a long...
When did I miss this new term, "booters", and what exactly qualifies? I don't want to use the term completely wrong.

Is a "booter" a long jump? A dangerous jump? An uphill jump? I'd hate to get the wrong context......
-MAVERICK- wrote:
The term has been around for years. I think anything where you get big/sick air is considered a "booter". I could be wrong on that but...
The term has been around for years. I think anything where you get big/sick air is considered a "booter". I could be wrong on that but I know the term isn't new.

Well in my defense, I’ve only been following the sport since about 75, so it could be before my time......

Did a quick search on the site here and it looks like a little bit of usage of the term, seems to have come up about 2013ish? I have to admit that at my age, I’m not looking at newer lingo to add to my vocabulary as much anymore.

The Shop

Crush
5/20/2018 6:39pm
DC wrote:
I am headed to Glen Helen now. Like Mr. Info said, Jody and I will work together on making appropriate changes, it always starts at one...
I am headed to Glen Helen now. Like Mr. Info said, Jody and I will work together on making appropriate changes, it always starts at one point and ends up at another. I hear the riders and team managers loud and clear. We will get to work at Glen Helen this afternoon.

For what it's worth, I thought we had a great race yesterday at Hangtown, no transports, no massive 150-footer and some really good racing on a rough, challenging racetrack. Congratulations to the Dirt Diggers North M/C on making their 50th Hangtown Classic one of their very best.

We have 44 motos to go in this championship and we want to get everyone to the finish line safely.

DC
Racer X
Hangtown was good DC, and flat out I enjoyed watching the guys racing on a track that had a lot of shiny slick stuff, off-cambers, square-edge etc.... Don't know if it's just how it worked out or a decision, but I enjoyed seeing the best guys in the world navigating less-than-ideal conditions at race pace.
Bearuno
5/20/2018 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 6:41pm
If these blokes above - the Racers themselves - won't be listened to, WTF is going on??????????

I also find the SX like section / straight they usually have at Glen Helen, in front of the stands pretty bloody incongruous - it's Motocross, Jody, we've just seen 17 rounds of that sort of thing.
MBR
5/20/2018 6:56pm
DC is on it.
Brent
5/20/2018 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 7:25pm
Here’s a theory- Glen Helen builds these crazy jumps, posts it to social media to get the SoCal Bros excited, knowing that the AMA will never allow such jumps in racing conditions.
Meanwhile, the huge huck videos spread like wildfire, and every flat biller in 500 miles show on race day to find the jumps are gone or toned down.

The track builders are smart guys, they know how to chum the attendance waters.. They knew full well those jumps would be cut before they started building them.

If JG was healthy I guarantee he would have been the guy hitting them for the cameras this week.
Jrewing
5/20/2018 10:52pm
DC wrote:
I am headed to Glen Helen now. Like Mr. Info said, Jody and I will work together on making appropriate changes, it always starts at one...
I am headed to Glen Helen now. Like Mr. Info said, Jody and I will work together on making appropriate changes, it always starts at one point and ends up at another. I hear the riders and team managers loud and clear. We will get to work at Glen Helen this afternoon.

For what it's worth, I thought we had a great race yesterday at Hangtown, no transports, no massive 150-footer and some really good racing on a rough, challenging racetrack. Congratulations to the Dirt Diggers North M/C on making their 50th Hangtown Classic one of their very best.

We have 44 motos to go in this championship and we want to get everyone to the finish line safely.

DC
Racer X
Crush wrote:
Hangtown was good DC, and flat out I enjoyed watching the guys racing on a track that had a lot of shiny slick stuff, off-cambers, square-edge...
Hangtown was good DC, and flat out I enjoyed watching the guys racing on a track that had a lot of shiny slick stuff, off-cambers, square-edge etc.... Don't know if it's just how it worked out or a decision, but I enjoyed seeing the best guys in the world navigating less-than-ideal conditions at race pace.
Awesome track design. Congrats Hangtown and Dc
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/20/2018 11:18pm
Is Trey Canard involved with any of the track safety issues ? I had heard he was doing something along those lines now as some sort of safety contact for the riders or did that whole thing just fizzle out.
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
5/20/2018 11:58pm
The problem isnt the HP of the bikes, it’s the egos of the track owners and their crews. They all what to outdo the last. Just like the dirtbag richguy that had to build the tallest, steepest water slide. They knew they had safety issues, but kept it open anyway.....decapitated a kid. The state filed criminal charges so hopefully the guy will rot in jail
5/21/2018 12:14am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2018 12:20am
If they really want to have an iconic huge jump for the race...fine....THEN THE STAFF/MGMT at GH SHOULD OFF THEIR LAZY ASS AND MOVE ENOUGH DIRT TO MAKE THE LANDING NOT KILL SOMEONE IF THE SH** GOES WRONG. Look at the sky shot at Unadilla. A GIANT table top basically. You can come up short to any degree, and as long you stay the gas...you will ride it out. Even Laroccos Leap...you can look up vids on you tube of guys casing and, not getting life-flighted out. I think AC cased the Fly 150 a few years ago, and rode it out. If a rider comes up way short one of those giant SX style jumps, at that speed, you are looking at a potential fatality because it is such a high speed section (vs. Laroccos and the old Fly 150 coming out of corners)
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
5/21/2018 2:32am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Crush wrote:
Hangtown was good DC, and flat out I enjoyed watching the guys racing on a track that had a lot of shiny slick stuff, off-cambers, square-edge...
Jrewing wrote:
Awesome track design. Congrats Hangtown and Dc
I thought the track at Hangtown was really bad. Herky Jerky no flow, seemed pretty one lined
DoubleA
5/21/2018 5:28am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Well in my defense, I’ve only been following the sport since about 75, so it could be before my time...... Did a quick search on the...
Well in my defense, I’ve only been following the sport since about 75, so it could be before my time......

Did a quick search on the site here and it looks like a little bit of usage of the term, seems to have come up about 2013ish? I have to admit that at my age, I’m not looking at newer lingo to add to my vocabulary as much anymore.
Also the size of the jump looks fine but i would not like to case it. Imagine if someones bike cuts out(like Forkner's bike last year) on the take off...

Here's a booter for you Aplman99, normally a large sized jump where your up in the air for a long time. Easiest way to tell if its a booter or not is the size of the take off.

Gettin a little low in Florida ??

A post shared by Aiden Tijero (@aiden587) on Apr 30, 2018 at 6:00pm PDT

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/21/2018 6:59am

And Baggett liking my comment on Glen Helen’s post
Stuntman949
5/21/2018 7:13am
It's funny to see the amount of people that also complained the Fly 150 Jump was taken out
kb228
5/21/2018 7:19am
1st double has too steep of a takeoff. Thats way too high. After that, scrub the single and go up the hill if you dont want to jump it.

Seriously give these guys a damn parachute!

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
5/21/2018 7:28am
Happy to see some of the riders speaking out. Maybe it was just a publicity stunt by Jody? I can’t think any guy that’s been around this sport at that level would think it’s okay to have that stuff on a national race track. Everyone on the gate has the skill to do it, no problem, but the margin for error it holds is too damn small when you’re talking about riders hitting that late into their motos with ruts, acceleration bumps and square edge chop developed into the surface.

The madness has to stop at some point. It’s much more impressive to see these riders going through offer camber, whooped out turns with minimal traction anyways. Seeing Eli rail some of those Hangtown turns while standing up at race pace was just sick.
ob
5/21/2018 7:35am
I just hope they don't have to ride up and down stupid rock cliffs like a couple years ago, now that was stupid.
motomike137
5/21/2018 7:57am
ob wrote:
I just hope they don't have to ride up and down stupid rock cliffs like a couple years ago, now that was stupid.
I thought the rock cliffs were pretty cool actually. As for the giant leaps they can take them all out as far as I'm concerned. There isn't any racing going on while these guys are floating through space like that. What they did at Hangtown was refreshing. I liked the elimination of the Fly 150 and also the fact that they didn't rip the dirt super deep. Gave the place a little different character.
SwingHard
5/21/2018 8:29am
ob wrote:
I thought the rock cliffs were pretty cool actually. As for the giant leaps they can take them all out as far as I'm concerned. There...
I thought the rock cliffs were pretty cool actually. As for the giant leaps they can take them all out as far as I'm concerned. There isn't any racing going on while these guys are floating through space like that. What they did at Hangtown was refreshing. I liked the elimination of the Fly 150 and also the fact that they didn't rip the dirt super deep. Gave the place a little different character.
I agree!
ob
5/21/2018 8:34am
ob wrote:
I thought the rock cliffs were pretty cool actually. As for the giant leaps they can take them all out as far as I'm concerned. There...
SwingHard wrote:
I agree!
Yes hangtown was great this year, the prep made the track look awesome. Although a lot of guys thought it was crazy rough. Welcome back to the real series.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/21/2018 8:37am
In my opinion no one is going to waste the diesel needed to build a “publicity stunt” the week before the national.

I like the big jumps as much as anyone. But hitting some of that stuff late in the second moto when they’re fatigued, and the faces are rutted?

Shocked

I talked to one former pro who has probably as many laps as anyone (maybe short of Dubach) on Glen Helen. He voiced a lot of concern about the jumps.

I also talked to a current 450 privateer who’d ridden at GH last Thursday with some of the new changes, and he said it took him an hour or so to work up the nerve to hit the new finish line jump. That doesn’t work so well on race day when they only have two timed practice sessions to figure it out.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/21/2018 8:38am
Once the electric bikes come into play we will b watching the Red Bull Air Races. They may never land

Track builders....the best racing always takes place when knobbies are on the ground. I don’t want flat track, but floating bikes is not the most thrilling thing to watch
DC
5/21/2018 8:48am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2018 8:49am
Gang, we got this. Jody and Karl will have a superb Glen Helen, I have no doubt. Every track requires a little tweaking. Does anyone remember the Dean Wilson bunny-hop at Ironman that my brother-in-law built? It was gone after one press day practice session. Remember the High Point not-meant-to-be downhill double that Bradley Taft and Blake Baggett somehow did? It lasted one press-day practice session.

We talk to the riders and teams every week and we make adjustments so they feel comfortable, put on a good, competitive race, and hopefully ride on to the next race.

DC
Racer X
ob
5/21/2018 8:49am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2018 8:51am
ob wrote:
I don't care for that novelty kind of stuff, what mx track has rock cliffs? I also didn't like the crazy SX rhythm section they had that made A1 look tame. The big jumps are fine, normal stuff for the outdoor tracks around here.
Sometimes the guys at GH do weird stuff that's for sure.
peelout
5/21/2018 8:50am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2018 8:52am
i like Glen Helen booties, bro

Post a reply to: Glen Helen booters.....DC?

The Latest