Glen Helen World Vet

brocster
9/11/2018 1:12pm
Im all pre entered for this event, Looking forward to it. Other than attending practice days, any other tips from those who have participated? cheers
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Just remember if you ride a practice day, the track usually isn't what you get on race day. Race day will be prepped so good and...
Just remember if you ride a practice day, the track usually isn't what you get on race day. Race day will be prepped so good and so deep! Practice days aren't nearly as deep and can end up kinda hard packed.
109 wrote:
Usually the opposite of that. GH is prepped good on Thursdays and for world vet they don’t rip it as deep and knock the jumps down...
Usually the opposite of that. GH is prepped good on Thursdays and for world vet they don’t rip it as deep and knock the jumps down to make it safer for the old dudes on 450s they can’t hang on to.
So tell me about the 100 or so 120# bean poles getting flung around by 450’s last weekend. Seriously, I saw so many near misses by kids that had no business being on 450’s but had the balls to brap it haphazardly over the jumps.
MarkF
9/11/2018 6:42pm
Definitely worth it. Of course its always good to practice prior, however, I would recommend not overdoing it on the practice days. The track is brutal and will wear you down, not to mention shred your hands in no time. A lot of new participants practice too much and are in bad condition for the actual race. Just my .02 cents.
brocster
9/11/2018 7:09pm
Sorry OP. IMO, yes it’s worth it. Pretty cool being at a moto event where its all older guys that just eat, sleep and breathe moto!
motomojo
9/12/2018 11:26am
Im all pre entered for this event, Looking forward to it. Other than attending practice days, any other tips from those who have participated? cheers
I would suggest walking the track i know it's long and the hills and all but being able to see it close up really helps when you go out for practice.
Practice days the track will be good but race day it will be super deep and by your second moto extremely brutal like you've never seen. Ruts foot peg deep and long, some really nice square edge stuff that can break a wheel and major breaking bumps.

I miss the event haven't been since 96 - 98 and then 2003. Won the 40+ intermediate class in 97 a race i will never forget down to a last lap pass on the leader in "buds creek" at that time about 200 yards from the finish.

The Shop

teggers
9/16/2018 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2018 3:36pm
One year we paid one of our riders and rented a truck and shipped five bikes out from Florida. It really was one fun week. The next year, I rented a bike from Mike Metzger and flew into LAX. From there, I rented a van locally and drove out to his house and picked up the bike and he was nice enough to pick it up Sunday evening from Glen Helen when I was done. Thank you Mr. Metzger for not sending me a couple thousand dollar bill On the backside. Couple of tires, clutch, complete exhaust, grips, etc. etc.

It was such a pleasure to ride the track. Mount Saint Helens downhill beat me to death and Jody told me that you’re supposed to miss the bumps. I T-boned Andy Jefferson on the last lap for the lead on Sat warm up races..... Sorry Mr. J. ( he had a flat tire or I would never of caught him)
On Sunday in the expert +40 Moto, Jimmy Holly and Dr D destroyed the class. I think I got like 17th.

Absolutely the most memorable week in racing that I’ve had.

Took a day trip up to Lake arrowhead and that was pretty cool. Another day trip we drove through the mountains over to the Santa Monica pier and had dinner. Just a great moto vacation.

You have to do this trip.
9/16/2018 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2018 5:45pm
I first rode at Glen Helen a couple of years ago, for the Scot Burnworth Classic, and l flew over from MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA !

I rode an '83 Honda CR480, l nearly holeshot all my races, against watercooled CR's & KX's. The track is AWESOME, the locals say it gets rough but that aint rough lol. Was scary giving an open-class 2-stroke the berries going down those hills, with DRUM BRAKES !!! 8-)

I'm planning on flying back for the 2020 Vet Champs, and ride the Over 60 class. Might ship my RMZ450 over for it?

Post a reply to: Glen Helen World Vet

The Latest