Glen Helen Open Practice Cluster F***

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2018 3:27 PM

It blows my mind that Glen Helen runs an "open" practice allowing all ages and skill levels tor ride together. Add to that they have ZERO flaggers? This blows my mind. Is this the way most of the SoCal tracks run, or just Glen Helen?

You would think that tracks in super-progressive CA would not only separate on skill level and age, but also on sexual orientation and gender identification!! LOL

In WA, "open" practice is always broken up by general skill level and separation of mini's and flaggers are present the majority of the time.

|

6/1/2018 3:33 PM

Landshark wrote:

It blows my mind that Glen Helen runs an "open" practice allowing all ages and skill levels tor ride together. Add to that they have ZERO flaggers? This blows my mind. Is this the way most of the SoCal tracks run, or just Glen Helen?

You would think that tracks in super-progressive CA would not only separate on skill level and age, but also on sexual orientation and gender identification!! LOL

In WA, "open" practice is always broken up by general skill level and separation of mini's and flaggers are present the majority of the time.

Only track I know of that splits practice is LACR. They will clear the track for 20 minutes twice a day for mini's. The switch off on the main and vet track. Otherwise, the rest of the time is open.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

6/1/2018 3:40 PM

That's normal and its works fine. It's not like the NW where there is only one track and its only open for practice one day of the week for six months. Most places have two or three tracks that are open 5-7 days a week 12 months out of the year. If a person isn't fast enough for the main they ride a different track until things mellow out. That's how most tracks in SC run. I would hate going back to classes during practice days. The tracks down here don't get super crowded like other states.

|

6/1/2018 3:51 PM

In California though we also have specific mini days for kids where no big bikes can ride

|

twist wrist and go...

brad@palmspringsmotorsports.com

6/1/2018 3:52 PM

Here we go again.....

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

6/1/2018 3:54 PM

See this all the time at Pala, kids on minis on the main at the same time as pros, in the main line and not even close to pace. Totally nuts for a parent to allow that and not even be out there with them except for the occasional gesture for them to go faster.

|

6/1/2018 3:56 PM

This is every track in So Cal. Mini dads think it is okay to send little kids on the main track. This is a huge problem.

|

6/1/2018 3:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 3:58 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

Here we go again.....

Just regurgitating what was in the previous thread.

Yoyos won't even read the relavent posts about to the incident.

Just spray their crap everywhere like a broken sewer line.

|

6/1/2018 4:00 PM

Tracks don't pair pros and minis on a race day, so why would they on a practice day with ZERO flaggers no less.

Husky just had several hundreds if not a million+ dollars flushed down the drain b/c of slower riders on the track with their pros. Not to mention what it has done to the outdoor national series having fewer big name riders on the line.

Just makes no sense. I'm just pissed b/c I'm a huge Anderson fan and this BLOWS!!

|

6/1/2018 4:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 4:51 PM

He wasn’t even on the track when he got hurt, could have happend anywhere. I’m super bummed on the deal

|

6/1/2018 4:53 PM

Landshark wrote:

Tracks don't pair pros and minis on a race day, so why would they on a practice day with ZERO flaggers no less.

Husky just had several hundreds if not a million+ dollars flushed down the drain b/c of slower riders on the track with their pros. Not to mention what it has done to the outdoor national series having fewer big name riders on the line.

Just makes no sense. I'm just pissed b/c I'm a huge Anderson fan and this BLOWS!!

You don't think maybe those "pros" could have waited till the hurt rider was off the track? Or even perhaps slowed down by the accident perhaps? Or does JA have no blame in any of this accident? Just curious.

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

6/1/2018 4:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 4:55 PM

Just to be very clear, he was not hurt by a mini rider....so what does this have to do with minis being able to ride on the track at the same time?

The real discussion should be about all these Motocross Vacation companies that sell themselves on taking you to tracks to ride with the pros because this is exactly what happened. A guy who has some money that is a super fan, goes on a vacation to America to ride a borrowed bike that he isnt as familiar with to put in laps with the pros..... why has no one brought up that this was a direct hit against our MXDN team? Conspiracy?

|

twist wrist and go...

brad@palmspringsmotorsports.com

6/1/2018 4:58 PM

If we could beat this to death more, that would be great.

|

6/1/2018 5:13 PM

Donovan759 wrote:

If we could beat this to death more, that would be great.

So true

|

6/1/2018 5:18 PM

IMO, Glen Helen should have flaggers, hell if i lived in So Cal and had nothing better to do id gladly volunteer my time to sit and flag, watch the pros practice and get a good solid tan while i'm at it, but anyway we shouldn't be blaming the other rider for JA21's crash and Jason shouldn't have been riding around it like it was a downed rider in the first turn off the gate of a pro race with points on the line.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

6/1/2018 5:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 5:24 PM

Almost every track in Southern California is littered with factory riders and complete baboons. There's no flaggers, shitty riding conditions, and everyone has an ego... and you guys are barely becoming concerned with this?

|

6/1/2018 5:25 PM

bradmx421 wrote:

Just to be very clear, he was not hurt by a mini rider....so what does this have to do with minis being able to ride on the track at the same time?

The real discussion should be about all these Motocross Vacation companies that sell themselves on taking you to tracks to ride with the pros because this is exactly what happened. A guy who has some money that is a super fan, goes on a vacation to America to ride a borrowed bike that he isnt as familiar with to put in laps with the pros..... why has no one brought up that this was a direct hit against our MXDN team? Conspiracy?

Let me state from the get go....I love me some Anderson. Ok, that's out of the way. Jason has shown in the past that he is capable of...let's say, small lapses of judgement or flawed decision processes. Some have little or no consequence....others have been more weighty. This one weighs a ton. We all mature and become wiser at different speeds. I'm gonna bet we see a far smarter Jason when he heals up.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

6/1/2018 5:42 PM

Landshark wrote:

Its not a "California" thing. Don't be an asshole.

The owners of Glen Helen do this because they can, and because they know that riders will show up regardless, although Im not sure about that after this incident.

The management has done a lot of sketchy stuff over the 19 years Ive been going there,, including building ridiculous jumps that they know they can't get away with before this years nationals. Problem is, it is the only world class motocross track left in Southern California, and they use that leverage to do what they do.

|

6/1/2018 5:45 PM

moto-b wrote:

See this all the time at Pala, kids on minis on the main at the same time as pros, in the main line and not even close to pace. Totally nuts for a parent to allow that and not even be out there with them except for the occasional gesture for them to go faster.

Look at the mini parent's view - they can always have another kid, but if the kid survives and gets a factory ride THERE is their retirement money...

|

6/1/2018 6:05 PM

Landshark wrote:

And split practices suck dick as well. Nothing more agonizing then sitting there for 45 minutes while a womens group goes. Then 50s. Then 65s.....agonizing.

Pro / novice split is acceptable. But no more. In the novice practice use your best common sense approach. Give everyone space. Etc. in the pro practice ride how you want. And if someone doesn’t like it go to the novice split.

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/1/2018 6:22 PM

plowboy wrote:

Let me state from the get go....I love me some Anderson. Ok, that's out of the way. Jason has shown in the past that he is capable of...let's say, small lapses of judgement or flawed decision processes. Some have little or no consequence....others have been more weighty. This one weighs a ton. We all mature and become wiser at different speeds. I'm gonna bet we see a far smarter Jason when he heals up.

So true. I'll buy that.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

6/1/2018 6:32 PM

Yeah, the track is undoubtably irresponsible for not having more safety measures in place, regardless of their signs at the entrance. It just goes to show they have little to no care for their patrons.
Also, Jason Anderson should have been more careful. He’s riding an open practice with the full spectrum of skill level.
No blame to the kiwi, laying there with two broken legs. He was just riding an open practice, which he paid for, and ended up eating dirt.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

6/1/2018 7:03 PM

I hope everyone gets off the Fuck Glen Helen bandwagon soon. Tracks are dropping like flies around here I wish they'd let it go. A guy did an unexpected turn in front of another guy who wrongly assumed everyone knows to hold their line. It was an accident. It's a dangerous sport and everyone there knew the risks, it's not Glen Helen's "fault". Lets just be glad the place is there, agree it's sketchy and dangerous, (especially on Thursdays), and move on. Like I said tracks are disappearing faster than Mattyhamz YZ250 budget around here unsure laughing , lets take a breath before "Something must be done" like lose another track... Heal Fast JA21, and the other 2 injured riders. The first guy has quite a list sad

ps. fuck wall jumps, but that's another day

|

6/4/2018 9:20 AM

sumdood wrote:

I hope everyone gets off the Fuck Glen Helen bandwagon soon. Tracks are dropping like flies around here I wish they'd let it go. A guy did an unexpected turn in front of another guy who wrongly assumed everyone knows to hold their line. It was an accident. It's a dangerous sport and everyone there knew the risks, it's not Glen Helen's "fault". Lets just be glad the place is there, agree it's sketchy and dangerous, (especially on Thursdays), and move on. Like I said tracks are disappearing faster than Mattyhamz YZ250 budget around here unsure laughing , lets take a breath before "Something must be done" like lose another track... Heal Fast JA21, and the other 2 injured riders. The first guy has quite a list sad

ps. fuck wall jumps, but that's another day

laughing laughing laughing laughing I went way over budget, but she's done and looks sweet!!!
|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

6/6/2018 10:54 AM

Landshark wrote:

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

And split practices suck dick as well. Nothing more agonizing then sitting there for 45 minutes while a womens group goes. Then 50s. Then 65s.....agonizing.

Pro / novice split is acceptable. But no more. In the novice practice use your best common sense approach. Give everyone space. Etc. in the pro practice ride how you want. And if someone doesn’t like it go to the novice split.

No way in hell 50/65's should be on the track at the same time as big bikes. That said, it's the parent's responsibility to make that decision. My youngest was pretty damn fast on a 65 and jumped everything. I almost never let him ride open tracks with big bikes. We just didn't patronize tracks that didn't organize practice until he got on 85's (still makes me a bit nervous but he is used to riding with bigger bikes at home). I can't believe that there haven't been more issues with mixed sizes but I am glad of it.

I think big bike/little bike is a good split to start with. 20 minute motos each. But all depends on track size/flaggers/turnout, etc.......

|

6/6/2018 7:50 PM

Anderson could have stayed in Florida and rode with the rest of the Baker boys, but he wanted to do his own thing. Open practices are probably why many buy their own tracks in Florida.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

7/14/2018 9:45 PM

So slower rider are obliged to stay out of pros way? They didnt pay the same amount of money to ride?

|