Glen Helen MX Des Nations

gantry25
After looking at the thread regarding Red Bud and the MX Des Nations being hosted there again, I got curious about why Glen Helen no longer has a national or hosts an MX Des Nations. I had never looked into it. I did an internet search and came up with this interview with Bud Feldkamp way back in 2012. (i know it's old but that doesn't really change anything) Obviously Glen Helen did get a national back for a few years but lost it again in 2018.

I know there are two sides to every story but geez, if what is said in that interview is true that is an incredibly dishonest way to do business.

Anybody have any other insight into this?

https://motocrossactionmag.com/bud-feldkamp-breaks-his-silence-on-why-g…
|
chrisg19
Fantasy
4462nd
3/3/2020 3:37pm
I have no idea of the inner workings of why GH isn’t on the schedule, but I think it’s a damn shame. Those hills, and that atmosphere is just amazing.
Mr. Info
3/3/2020 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2020 3:41pm
Because Glen Helen and MX Sports could not reach a business agreement that worked for both sides. And the same type of agreement to do business was not in the interest of YouthStream as well.
If you do business with someone and cannot agree to something that seems fair you don’t do business. In my own personal opinion both sides need to either make money or both lose money to to make it a fair business agreement because so many variables can come into play to affect either side good or bad. Remember that’s just my opinion only.
Natester551v
3/4/2020 4:40am
The Youthstream thing with respect to the last two MXGPs (where very few spectators showed up) probably soured any future MXdN being scheduled there. Personally I think it would be amazing, but maybe it'll never happen.

I do sure miss the national there...

The Shop

DC
3/4/2020 5:07am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 5:28am
gantry25 wrote:
After looking at the thread regarding Red Bud and the MX Des Nations being hosted there again, I got curious about why Glen Helen no longer...
After looking at the thread regarding Red Bud and the MX Des Nations being hosted there again, I got curious about why Glen Helen no longer has a national or hosts an MX Des Nations. I had never looked into it. I did an internet search and came up with this interview with Bud Feldkamp way back in 2012. (i know it's old but that doesn't really change anything) Obviously Glen Helen did get a national back for a few years but lost it again in 2018.

I know there are two sides to every story but geez, if what is said in that interview is true that is an incredibly dishonest way to do business.

That interview was after the first time Glen Helen canceled its own national, and the vast majority of what he said is simply untrue.

The second time he canceled was in the fall of 2018, after they were once again on the schedule with a longterm commitment. He wanted to change most of the terms and when we could not, so he asked to be taken off the schedule, and we did as he asked.

So please understand the context of that interview with Bud Feldkamp--after we made up with him and brought the race back (thanks in large part to the late Tom White) he broke off his own contract again, both times after the track manager agreed to terms. Pretty much the same terms as the previous contract, and pretty much the same terms that every other national track has, both then and now, and they seem to work well for both sides.

I have never been dishonest with Bud Feldkamp, nor did we treat him any differently than every other national on the schedule. He simply prefers to do business his own way, and obviously has a much different version of the truth.

DC
Racer X
motogrady
3/4/2020 5:46am
Well, and don’t u guys over there go off, it seems hardly anyone showed up at the last events YS and MXSportz had.
I’ve often wondered why.

One thinks if Bud made a boatload of cash, and YS, ditto, they might be a bit more, ah, amenable to suck it up a bit.

But really, who here would make a bunch of changes
just to lose money?
gantry25
3/4/2020 5:55am
gantry25 wrote:
After looking at the thread regarding Red Bud and the MX Des Nations being hosted there again, I got curious about why Glen Helen no longer...

DC wrote:
That interview was after the first time Glen Helen canceled its own national, and the vast majority of what he said is simply untrue. The second...
That interview was after the first time Glen Helen canceled its own national, and the vast majority of what he said is simply untrue.

The second time he canceled was in the fall of 2018, after they were once again on the schedule with a longterm commitment. He wanted to change most of the terms and when we could not, so he asked to be taken off the schedule, and we did as he asked.

So please understand the context of that interview with Bud Feldkamp--after we made up with him and brought the race back (thanks in large part to the late Tom White) he broke off his own contract again, both times after the track manager agreed to terms. Pretty much the same terms as the previous contract, and pretty much the same terms that every other national track has, both then and now, and they seem to work well for both sides.

I have never been dishonest with Bud Feldkamp, nor did we treat him any differently than every other national on the schedule. He simply prefers to do business his own way, and obviously has a much different version of the truth.

DC
Racer X
Thanks for responding DC. I thought there had to be another side to the story, based on the fact that too many of the other track owners didn't seem to have an issue with the arraignment.

I have to say, after everything that Bud Feldkamp said in that interview I am amazed you were willing to do business with him at all, even with Tom White intervening. I don't believe I would have been nearly as charitable as you.

Too bad, Glen Helen is a great place to watch an outdoor national.
DC
3/4/2020 6:10am
gantry25 wrote:

DC wrote:
That interview was after the first time Glen Helen canceled its own national, and the vast majority of what he said is simply untrue. The second...

DC
Racer X
gantry25 wrote:
Thanks for responding DC. I thought there had to be another side to the story, based on the fact that too many of the other track...
Thanks for responding DC. I thought there had to be another side to the story, based on the fact that too many of the other track owners didn't seem to have an issue with the arraignment.

I have to say, after everything that Bud Feldkamp said in that interview I am amazed you were willing to do business with him at all, even with Tom White intervening. I don't believe I would have been nearly as charitable as you.

Glen Helen is an excellent motocross track and I enjoyed working with everyone at the track: Lori, Jody, Karl, Mr. Info, etc. We went back because of them and the track, and of course Tom.

DC
Racer X
brocster
3/4/2020 7:05am
Sucks that there is a disconnect between parties but also confusing at that same time as many other higher profile events are held there successfully...
3/4/2020 11:01am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
gantry25 wrote:
Thanks for responding DC. I thought there had to be another side to the story, based on the fact that too many of the other track...

DC wrote:
Glen Helen is an excellent motocross track and I enjoyed working with everyone at the track: Lori, Jody, Karl, Mr. Info, etc. We went back because...
Glen Helen is an excellent motocross track and I enjoyed working with everyone at the track: Lori, Jody, Karl, Mr. Info, etc. We went back because of them and the track, and of course Tom.

DC
Racer X
Please DC go back again we need Glen Helen on schedule ! This track is real motocross
Motoxdoc
3/4/2020 11:36am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
gantry25 wrote:

DC wrote:
Glen Helen is an excellent motocross track and I enjoyed working with everyone at the track: Lori, Jody, Karl, Mr. Info, etc. We went back because...

DC
Racer X
I suppose this is just one more reason Tom is dearly missed!. Sad
Mr. Info
3/4/2020 12:12pm
I would suggest both parties get in front of an arbitrator and let him make the decision. That the fair way to resolve it.
And tell me Glen Helen is not the best location for a De Nations. Air Travel, Hotels, family activity away from the races. Las Vegas close by. Great beach’s and the toughest MX track that use to be on the National schedule.
Glen Helen had to tame it down for the GP’s when we had it at their request. I might be biased in some ways but unless you have been out west you have no idea.
motogrady
3/4/2020 1:00pm
Mr. Info wrote:
I would suggest both parties get in front of an arbitrator and let him make the decision. That the fair way to resolve it. And tell...
I would suggest both parties get in front of an arbitrator and let him make the decision. That the fair way to resolve it.
And tell me Glen Helen is not the best location for a De Nations. Air Travel, Hotels, family activity away from the races. Las Vegas close by. Great beach’s and the toughest MX track that use to be on the National schedule.
Glen Helen had to tame it down for the GP’s when we had it at their request. I might be biased in some ways but unless you have been out west you have no idea.
I dunno guy.
The way Bud ran an open house kind of deal on the same date as the National that MXSPORTS had to fill at the other venue, that was vindictive. Bud pulled the stops out to hurt the attendance at that California National.
Arbitration? That’s funny.
Brent
3/4/2020 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 2:49pm
Mr. Info wrote:
I would suggest both parties get in front of an arbitrator and let him make the decision. That the fair way to resolve it. And tell...
Why would anyone have the desire to do business together when a referee, or "arbitrator" has to decide who gets what?

They do that in divorce cases, not business partnerships.

The last national where Dr. Feldkamp tried to force Eli Tomac to do a victory lap and high five the VIP's when the LIVE TV broadcast was already tightly scheduled, gives me the impression he is a wild card to work with...

Glen Helen is a great track with a great history, that we can agree on.

BobbyM
3/4/2020 2:57pm
Sully wrote:
GH is off the outdoor schedule because MX Sports and Bud Feldkamp couldn't come to an agreement to continue the contract. Here's a thread from 2018...
GH is off the outdoor schedule because MX Sports and Bud Feldkamp couldn't come to an agreement to continue the contract.

Here's a thread from 2018 discussing it:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/No-GlenHellen-this-year,…
GH management didn't incorporate the agreed upon updates to the facility in a timely manner. So both parties agreed to terminate their partnership. This is IMHO. Seems when you play chicken, both sides can win... or lose at the same time. Again IMHO.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
3/4/2020 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 3:05pm
A good start would be to not hold a free charity ride day the same day as the Pala national.
Johnson183
3/4/2020 5:11pm
gantry25 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
DC,

How was GH on the schedule in fall of 2018 with a long term commitment without a contract signed? In fact, without even a contract to review? If GH wanted to change most of the terms, I'm assuming you are saying "terms" had been provided to GH in the form of a contract? I can't wait to finally hash this out...it's been too long.

Looking forward to your specific reply to the questions above.

DC
3/4/2020 6:34pm
gantry25 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Johnson183 wrote:
DC, How was GH on the schedule in fall of 2018 with a long term commitment without a contract signed? In fact, without even a contract...
DC,

How was GH on the schedule in fall of 2018 with a long term commitment without a contract signed? In fact, without even a contract to review? If GH wanted to change most of the terms, I'm assuming you are saying "terms" had been provided to GH in the form of a contract? I can't wait to finally hash this out...it's been too long.

Sorry, Mr Johnson, I guess you didn't check your message from me the last time this all popped up, or you just didn't want to respond to my specific note, so you'll just have to hash this out again with your specific client...

See you at the races/ride day.

DC
Racer X
Momus
3/4/2020 8:36pm
Mr. Info wrote:
motogrady wrote:
I dunno guy. The way Bud ran an open house kind of deal on the same date as the National that MXSPORTS had to fill at...
I dunno guy.
The way Bud ran an open house kind of deal on the same date as the National that MXSPORTS had to fill at the other venue, that was vindictive. Bud pulled the stops out to hurt the attendance at that California National.
Arbitration? That’s funny.
Bud makes his money from his abortion clinics. Not worried about being an arsehole to dirt bikers when he is in the baby killing business
Mr. Info
3/4/2020 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 8:42pm
Momus he missed one. You! For going in that direction.
motogrady
3/4/2020 9:37pm
Mr. Info wrote:
I guess Mr Info, upon further reflection deleted his post on what is logical and what isn’t. That GH running a charity on the same day as the National was harmless, before anyone could rebute it.
Here’s one reply, anyway, u guys can still get his drift.

As far as guys being to able to hit both events, GH and the National, if they wanted to. Feld doesn’t complain when REM holds an event on the same day as A1.
Well, the National first moto starts at what time? 1pm?
And Anaheim Main goes off at what time? 9pm?
And you’re comparing a National to a local race?

I ain’t buying that guy. Sell it somewhere else.
Someone is just being a jerk, using what is probably
a taxable write off to cloak an altogether different intention.

You guys want a National?
How about this suggestion from a fan totally removed from both parties. A fan that really misses GH on the schedule.
Bud calls Morgantown and apologizes for the hassles he has caused.
Bud writes an open letter to the fans apologizing for putting his self, and ego, above the interest of the sport.
Bud makes the improvements the powers that be require.
20,000 pay $60 each, or whatever the average ticket goes for at a National, in advance, for non refundable
tickets to the National. Morgantown gets their regular, non refundable fee up front. $10 out of each ticket goes to charity.

Put something like this together and one would think California would have a pretty good chance at getting a National.

Just a suggestion.
Momus
3/4/2020 9:49pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Momus he missed one. You! For going in that direction.
You could always organise one retrospectively.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/4/2020 9:54pm
Momus wrote:
Bud makes his money from his abortion clinics. Not worried about being an arsehole to dirt bikers when he is in the baby killing business
So what were your last three or four user names that were banned before you signed up with this one ?
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/4/2020 9:55pm
Johnson183 wrote:
DC, How was GH on the schedule in fall of 2018 with a long term commitment without a contract signed? In fact, without even a contract...
DC,

interesting post history, whats your skin in the game here? at least Mr Info is honest about who he is and his allegiances.
Momus
3/5/2020 2:12am
lostboy819 wrote:
So what were your last three or four user names that were banned before you signed up with this one ?
Do some research on Feld's 'dental surgeries' cobber.

You are painfully ignorant.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/5/2020 6:59am
lostboy819 wrote:
Momus wrote:

We all know about Buds other business's but its dickheads like you that have to bring it into the moto forum. There are lots of other web sites you can go to to discuss your politics and bullshit and I bet you have been banned from Vital mutable times already so piss off.
Momus
3/5/2020 7:10am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2020 7:11am
lostboy819 wrote:
Momus wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:
We all know about Buds other business's but its dickheads like you that have to bring it into the moto forum. There are lots of other...
We all know about Buds other business's but its dickheads like you that have to bring it into the moto forum. There are lots of other web sites you can go to to discuss your politics and bullshit and I bet you have been banned from Vital mutable times already so piss off.
Mutable cobber, knowledge of his abortion business gives a good insight into his ethics, modus operandi and crucially for a negotiator, that normal commercial imperatives that govern most track owners don't apply.

All relevant to this discussion and to knowing or not knowing who you are dealing with in general.

Post a reply to: Glen Helen MX Des Nations

The Latest