Glen Helen Attendance

c3011
5/16/2011 6:59am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:18pm
Anybody know what the attendance was at Glen Helen yesterday? Better, same, or down from last year?
|
500guy
5/16/2011 7:03am
Saturday almost nobody

Sunday very much improved , I would say 5 or 6 thousand
rileymx
5/16/2011 7:04am
oficial number from youthstream was 22.000 over the weekend......
machine
5/16/2011 7:06am
rileymx wrote:
oficial number from youthstream was 22.000 over the weekend......
you think that number met their expectations and did they do much advertising for the event in CA.?
j100
5/16/2011 7:12am
no way!!!!! i will say 3,500 - 4,500, max.

The Shop

abn166
5/16/2011 7:25am
it looked a little better then last year, still it only looked to be around 5000. which when scattered around glen helen, looks more like 2000.
c3011
5/16/2011 7:42am
Wasn't the last national 35,000+?
wow123
5/16/2011 7:42am
Why they hold it in such an unappreciative place i'll never know

Hold it somewhere they'd get 20,000 plus!

Many many places around the world would fully support it.

Poor effort yanks!
machine
5/16/2011 7:44am
Unadilla would be a better pick IMO
MXMattii
5/16/2011 7:49am
I want a USGP @ Southwick - Unadilla - Washougal that are brutal tracks!
rileymx
5/16/2011 7:51am
can't answer you since im far away from ca.......don't even think that number is real from what i have seen on broadcast......but as i posted elsewhere, i dont think that attendance is all that important when the race is broadcasted in pay-per-view tv and net since it gives an income that normal races don't have.........

what this race showed me, just like last years....., is that the true us motocross fan base is not as big as the world would think, there are a lot of americans that talk about motocross but really have other values that come before a good mx race....and since those values were not present at glen helen they weren't also............
there were americans on the gate, zack is good enough for a win in mx2......but still not enough for national pride..!!!!!
that feeling only shows when they are certain of the win, then they will show in huge numbers, get all drunk, miss most of the action, worst of all make others miss it too, and then thrive on the american victory even before it happens...!!!!!!!!
there are a lot of those so called "fans" in the races in europe also.......its not an american thing..!!!!!! stupidity is everywhere unfortunatly...!!!!!!! its just that americans like to always make it big......and it shows.....!!!!!!!

fortunatly not all are like that....there are motocross lovers in america, we could see then there and even here..... and i'm sure they had a blast.......glen helen was at it's best even in diferent weather conditions through the day, the racing was great and they could check out every thing they usually only see in the pc.......i wish i could some day do the same at a us outdoor........and it all went down without all the stupidity that is commun when the so called general public shows up....it was a great motocross race for its great fans........be it live or through the broadcasts........

so for me the real important attendance was the one present, or behind the sceen, those are the true fans of the sport, those are the ones that have to be missed......... and like the bikes and riders are all collorfull, so should be the fans.........!!!!!!!!!!!!
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
5/16/2011 7:53am
Red Bud.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2729th
5/16/2011 7:54am
Great, another "let's blast the united states" thread turn.
rileymx
5/16/2011 8:06am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2011 8:06am
426Hemi wrote:
maybe you could have a few reading lessons and then you could understand what i am tryng to say..............
or you are another of those fans i dont miss at a motocross race.....then i am the one understanding your dislike of my post.....
SH_105
5/16/2011 8:06am
wow123 wrote:
Why they hold it in such an unappreciative place i'll never know Hold it somewhere they'd get 20,000 plus! Many many places around the world would...

Poor effort yanks!
I think before you go degrading the "Yanks" you should know that they didnt and continue to poorly advertise the event. Radio, News paper, TV stations, and those are just a few "marketing" tools in which they do not use. They do not put the normal effort in as they do with say a National. On top of that the ticket prices for general admission are a fair bit higher than those of a National, when fuel is over $4 a gallon where are you putting your money when making minimum wage? I can say it isnt out spending on entertainment!!!

SH
CR250Rider
5/16/2011 8:06am
move it to Washougal and a TON of people will go.
wow123
5/16/2011 8:10am
426Hemi wrote:
Well obviously when a huge country that is one of the backbones of the sport
doesn't properly support a mx gp,

it is well deserved!
lumpy790
5/16/2011 8:30am
CR250Rider wrote:
Nope.....does not matter where they hold a GP in the USA.......expect a poor turn out.

The way I understand it the promoter gets a % of the TV rights so they do not care about actual attendance = peanuts.
englishman
5/16/2011 8:37am
c3011 wrote:
Anybody know what the attendance was at Glen Helen yesterday? Better, same, or down from last year?
I saw about 12 people I know and was there with 3 friends so there was at least 15 of us there but not too many more than that I'd say.
5/16/2011 8:44am
wow123 wrote:
Why they hold it in such an unappreciative place i'll never know Hold it somewhere they'd get 20,000 plus! Many many places around the world would...

Poor effort yanks!
SH_105 wrote:
I think before you go degrading the "Yanks" you should know that they didnt and continue to poorly advertise the event. Radio, News paper, TV stations...
I think before you go degrading the "Yanks" you should know that they didnt and continue to poorly advertise the event. Radio, News paper, TV stations, and those are just a few "marketing" tools in which they do not use. They do not put the normal effort in as they do with say a National. On top of that the ticket prices for general admission are a fair bit higher than those of a National, when fuel is over $4 a gallon where are you putting your money when making minimum wage? I can say it isnt out spending on entertainment!!!

SH
you lucky bastards!!!!!

$4 per gallon??? you lucky people - we currently pay approx 3 times that amount. Now that sucks.
RR61114
5/16/2011 8:48am
I was there and it was a pretty meager turn out. Although the weather was gnarly in the AM and down right miserable with mud everywhere. I would say that aside from riders / teams there may have been 2000 fans in attendance yesterday. There no lines anywhere for anything and you could take your pick in nearly any area of the track to watch the race. Even the Monster VIP tower was fairly empty.
jasonv43
5/16/2011 8:49am
CR250Rider wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
Nope.....does not matter where they hold a GP in the USA.......expect a poor turn out. The way I understand it the promoter gets a % of...
Nope.....does not matter where they hold a GP in the USA.......expect a poor turn out.

The way I understand it the promoter gets a % of the TV rights so they do not care about actual attendance = peanuts.
I think the TV / internet broadcast is where they make their money. At least I hope because I can't imagine how much it cost to bring the GP all the way over here.

I will say this. It was nice to go to a motorcycle race and not have to deal with the mob scene that you normally see at a SX/MX race. So much easier to navigate the place, the racers were more relaxed and the riders that were there to watch like Reed, Hamblin, etc seemed to enjoy it as well. I can't tell you how many U.S. riders we bumped into that were just there to watch.

And why Glen Helen isn't on the U.S.mx schedule anymore baffles me. Track is so gnarly and looked top notch.
jamma10
5/16/2011 8:53am
CR250Rider wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
Nope.....does not matter where they hold a GP in the USA.......expect a poor turn out. The way I understand it the promoter gets a % of...

jasonv43 wrote:
I think the TV / internet broadcast is where they make their money. At least I hope because I can't imagine how much it cost to...
I think the TV / internet broadcast is where they make their money. At least I hope because I can't imagine how much it cost to bring the GP all the way over here.

I will say this. It was nice to go to a motorcycle race and not have to deal with the mob scene that you normally see at a SX/MX race. So much easier to navigate the place, the racers were more relaxed and the riders that were there to watch like Reed, Hamblin, etc seemed to enjoy it as well. I can't tell you how many U.S. riders we bumped into that were just there to watch.

And why Glen Helen isn't on the U.S.mx schedule anymore baffles me. Track is so gnarly and looked top notch.
The payperview web feed was only developed for this season, I'll be surprised if they make much from it yet - especially as so many people seem intent on finding a pirated web stream instead of re-mortgaging their house and purchasing two days of racing for the outrageous 2.99 euros ($4.50) fee!
pilotdude
5/16/2011 8:58am
jamma10 wrote:
The payperview web feed was only developed for this season, I'll be surprised if they make much from it yet - especially as so many people...
The payperview web feed was only developed for this season, I'll be surprised if they make much from it yet - especially as so many people seem intent on finding a pirated web stream instead of re-mortgaging their house and purchasing two days of racing for the outrageous 2.99 euros ($4.50) fee!
I agree Jamma, I think it is pretty cheesy for people to pirate and undercut the sport, rather than just pony up the price of a cheap lunch and watch the races. That's why I pay for Inside the Outdoors, the MXDN, and why I would gladly have paid to see supercross live ppv on the internet.
DL
5/16/2011 9:00am
lumpy790 wrote:

jasonv43 wrote:
I think the TV / internet broadcast is where they make their money. At least I hope because I can't imagine how much it cost to...

jamma10 wrote:
The payperview web feed was only developed for this season, I'll be surprised if they make much from it yet - especially as so many people...
Great point. walking around Glen Helen and seeing expensive looking cameras, tractor trailers with editing equipment etc. it must cost a lot to produce the program...... anybody complaining and or trying to figure a way to get around the cost needs to get a life!
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
5/16/2011 9:01am
RR61114 wrote:
I was there and it was a pretty meager turn out. Although the weather was gnarly in the AM and down right miserable with mud everywhere...
I was there and it was a pretty meager turn out. Although the weather was gnarly in the AM and down right miserable with mud everywhere. I would say that aside from riders / teams there may have been 2000 fans in attendance yesterday. There no lines anywhere for anything and you could take your pick in nearly any area of the track to watch the race. Even the Monster VIP tower was fairly empty.
2000?

While not a huge turnout, even the anti FIM/GP guys will admit it was well above 2000. Good Lord!
Sondy132001
5/16/2011 9:05am
you lucky bastards!!!!!

$4 per gallon??? you lucky people - we currently pay approx 3 times that amount. Now that sucks.
If we had your public transit we wouldn't bitch about $4, California's is shit. When I was in Europe we had buses every 15 mins, in California, it's about every hour. NY, Chicago, most places on the East have good public transit, here we just don't have that and if we do it's not convenient.

S
englishman
5/16/2011 9:08am
If we had your public transit we wouldn't bitch about $4, California's is shit. When I was in Europe we had buses every 15 mins, in...
If we had your public transit we wouldn't bitch about $4, California's is shit. When I was in Europe we had buses every 15 mins, in California, it's about every hour. NY, Chicago, most places on the East have good public transit, here we just don't have that and if we do it's not convenient.

S
True
Now if only you could take your MX bike on the bus and have them drop you off at the track Wink
Sondy132001
5/16/2011 9:12am
RR61114 wrote:
I was there and it was a pretty meager turn out. Although the weather was gnarly in the AM and down right miserable with mud everywhere...
OW38B wrote:
2000?

While not a huge turnout, even the anti FIM/GP guys will admit it was well above 2000. Good Lord!
There was well over 2000, Glen Helen is a big place, it's spread out over a lot of land, my guess?? I'd say 6-7,000, there were 2000 in the paddock alone and easy 4-5000 people walking around. It was cold and rainy in the am, by noon it was beautiful, my nose even got sunburned. Had a great day, it was nice to see Bud cruising around, thanking people for coming out, I like when I promoter is accessible. I like the bar behind the announcing tower, my sister and I were enjoying bloody marys in the afternoon.

The racing was great, man that Rocsen kid hauls the mail, and don't think the track was easy, it was super sandy and got rough, made for great racing. The "full dress" was great, love how they make that place look, very colorful and breathtaking when you stand on the hills and look at it. Plus the blue skies just added to it. My family, we enjoyed it thoroughly and look forward to it next year.

S
biker85
5/16/2011 9:15am
CR250Rider wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:

TV is expensive .... so YS isn't making money from the TV broadcasts ....

organisers can make money out off event-sponsoring and the spectators ....
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
5/16/2011 9:20am
The racing looked great as did the track. If it's true that there was no media advertising and promotion done, that's a mystery. Understandable maybe last year, but this year? Is there some confusion about who's supposed to do what in that regard?

I can still visualize the "Hang Ten USGP" branding for Carlsbad. The event had identity. I hope they'll work hard at recreating that i every respect.

Post a reply to: Glen Helen Attendance

The Latest