Glen Helen 6 Hour, lots and lots of fun

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2019 6:00 PM

I decided to ironman the Glen Helen 6 hour last weekend, and honestly had one of the best times I've had on a bike. Never done any type of racing like it before, and can say without a doubt I will do more now. Had my brother and wife help me pit, and it was super cool to have them involved (especially my wife). The last 2 hours of the race was probably one the best times I've ever felt on the bike. Ran down a handful a guys at the end by setting my fastest laps in the last hour. Long story short if you haven't already, and have the chance you should do a race like this. I'm already trying to figure out how I can build up a beater bike to do the 10 and 24 hour now because I don't what to complete roach my moto bike.

|

3/12/2019 6:26 PM

Are you the person that was thinking about letting 2 other guys ride your bike at that race with you?

|

3/12/2019 6:34 PM

Looks like a fun event- great vid.

|

3/12/2019 6:44 PM

barnett468 wrote:

Are you the person that was thinking about letting 2 other guys ride your bike at that race with you?

Nope. That wasn’t me.

|

3/12/2019 7:43 PM

Your choice of music is spot on, I absolutely love Too Many Zooz.

|

3/12/2019 7:51 PM

Shawn142 wrote:

Your choice of music is spot on, I absolutely love Too Many Zooz.

Thanks. I like to mix things up, and I think they’re underrated for sure.

|

3/12/2019 9:02 PM

Right on man! My buddies and I did it also. Those water crossing/mud pits were no joke haha such a fun race! We're already looking forward to the 10 and 24 hr.

|

3/12/2019 9:29 PM

Nice video, always like when people have fun with it instead of taking it so seriously. I take you normally ride MX? Good job, just looked at the results, I didn’t even know there where that many guys in iron man!

It was also good to see the course. I was there helping my sons team. They finished 3rd overall.

|

3/12/2019 9:36 PM

ccullins wrote:

Nice video, always like when people have fun with it instead of taking it so seriously. I take you normally ride MX? Good job, just looked at the results, I didn’t even know there where that many guys in iron man!

It was also good to see the course. I was there helping my sons team. They finished 3rd overall.

Thanks. Ya, pretty much only MX, but had such a fun time mixing it up. Apparently the Ironman class was one of not the biggest class.

Awesome job by you guy’s team.

|

3/13/2019 12:52 AM

Nice, man!!!

|

3/13/2019 8:03 AM

Funny, I just watched your video on YouTube before jumping on Vital, and here it is again lol. Major props for sticking it out man. That was no joke for an Ironman. Couldn't believe how crazy those water crossings and uphills got. You must of been saying a quick "fuck" each time you headed to the back section. Thankfully they rerouted us around that black swamp towards the end of the race.

My highlight was Gary Sutherlin coming up and saying "Stay to the far right and pin it. You'll make it"

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

3/13/2019 8:59 AM

Stuntman949 wrote:

Funny, I just watched your video on YouTube before jumping on Vital, and here it is again lol. Major props for sticking it out man. That was no joke for an Ironman. Couldn't believe how crazy those water crossings and uphills got. You must of been saying a quick "fuck" each time you headed to the back section. Thankfully they rerouted us around that black swamp towards the end of the race.

My highlight was Gary Sutherlin coming up and saying "Stay to the far right and pin it. You'll make it"

I was bummed when I got home because I realized i had a camera issue and lost all my footage from the first few laps. I would've loved to show how gnarly those sections were before they rerouted the track. The sense of relief I had when I came around and realized they had cut those sections out was unbelievable, haha. I wasn't sure if me or my bike's clutch were going to make it if we had to keep going through those sections.

One highlight the video lost was I spent a good 10 minutes in those laps helping out 2 different kids in the Jr challenge class, both on the verge of tears because they were so stuck and frustrated. Gave them some encouragement, and had to follow until he could get back to the pits because his throttle was sticking. Those kids were rock stars.

|

3/13/2019 9:22 AM

Stuntman949 wrote:

Csb146 wrote:

I was bummed when I got home because I realized i had a camera issue and lost all my footage from the first few laps. I would've loved to show how gnarly those sections were before they rerouted the track. The sense of relief I had when I came around and realized they had cut those sections out was unbelievable, haha. I wasn't sure if me or my bike's clutch were going to make it if we had to keep going through those sections.

One highlight the video lost was I spent a good 10 minutes in those laps helping out 2 different kids in the Jr challenge class, both on the verge of tears because they were so stuck and frustrated. Gave them some encouragement, and had to follow until he could get back to the pits because his throttle was sticking. Those kids were rock stars.

Good on you for helping those kids out man. That's the kind of sportsmanship they won't forget and it might of been nice for your sake to get off the bike for a minute or two

Before the rerouted, myself and two other competitors were sent down the wrong canyon. Our bikes were stuck to the axles and no one knew we were down there. After 40 minutes, the three of us were able to help each other out. I too should have had a GoPro running lol

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

3/13/2019 9:58 AM

Great video! It is now on Glen Helen's website under media/videos.

|

3/13/2019 2:15 PM

Sundays race was so fun. Me and a few buddies did it as well. We did 40 plus because we are old and a few others did Exp/Int to make us feel bad about ourselves haha. Not a bad day at the races that's for sure. The mud was no joke on the first couple of laps but got better later on in the day once they rerouted us. I really liked that big muddle puddle lake until the end of the day when it got really nasty. Here is a short video of the first lap.

|

CREATE - EXPLORE

3/13/2019 3:13 PM

Seems to be an issue with these types of races. We want some good technical single track, but it always creates bottle necks and needs to be taken out. Be cool if there could be Expert splits/sections that are different. That would be really hard to police though, already enough course shortening going on as is?

|

3/13/2019 3:30 PM

My buddy Wes Nemec won that class

|

twist wrist and go...

brad@palmspringsmotorsports.com

3/13/2019 3:46 PM

If anyone was at the race and is looking for photos hit up Kyle at SanoShots. He was at the race with us and came away with some great shots of all the racers. sanoshots@gmail.com

|

CREATE - EXPLORE

3/14/2019 8:01 AM

AbouttheRide wrote:

If anyone was at the race and is looking for photos hit up Kyle at SanoShots. He was at the race with us and came away with some great shots of all the racers. sanoshots@gmail.com

Thanks for the plug, Bill! I tried to photos of everyone going by, let me know your number and bike make and I can look for you or your teammates.

You can email me at sanoshots@gmail.com or DM me on Instagram @SanoShots and we can work out payment.

|

3/14/2019 8:37 AM

A couple of example shots

Photo
Photo
Photo

Photo

|

3/14/2019 8:45 AM

Csb146 wrote:
" I'm already trying to figure out how I can build up a beater bike to do the 10 and 24 hour now because I don't what to complete roach my moto bike. "

I think about this all the time, too. I'm keeping my eyes out for an older KTM 300. Great do-it-all bike.
Of course, it's a pipe dream as I barely get a chance to just do laps at Pala, let alone get away for a weekend. laughing laughing

|

3/14/2019 5:30 PM

AbouttheRide wrote:

Sundays race was so fun. Me and a few buddies did it as well. We did 40 plus because we are old and a few others did Exp/Int to make us feel bad about ourselves haha. Not a bad day at the races that's for sure. The mud was no joke on the first couple of laps but got better later on in the day once they rerouted us. I really liked that big muddle puddle lake until the end of the day when it got really nasty. Here is a short video of the first lap.

I'm glad someone got some video of this section. It was brutal. It had me questioning what I'd gotten myself into until they rerouted.

|