Glad to see neck protection working its way back into the pros.

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2018 4:52 PM

I'm pumped to see the new guys moving into the pro class rocking neck protection, regardless of brand. The neck braces have made huge strides and improvements from the original models and its nice now seeing younger guys who are used to them, presumably from wearing them at an early age, sti sporting them moving into the pro class.

I'm a huge advocate in necessary protection in this sport and it's really cool too see them sporting them. I think the argument that they cause other injuries is total BS at this point. It's like the argument people have on seat belts, where everyone knows somebody that has a story where if the person was wearing a seat belt, they would've been worse off. But I think the general consensus is that they do more good than bad. Hopefully we see this trend continue in the future.

|

5/19/2018 5:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2018 5:23 PM

So you see one guy, Garrett Marchbanks, wearing one of those bear traps and say "I'm pumped to see the new guys moving into the pro class rocking neck protection"?

OK cool story, here is a list of the other rookies that do not wear those injury inducing and technique terrorizing contraptions:
- Michael Mosiman
- Justin Cooper
- Jordan Bailey
- Enzo Lopes

But it's fine to say whatever you want to fit your narrative. I mean, it isn't like 95% of the other riders choose not to wear one either.

There is no trend.

|

Not much to say to Vitards.

5/19/2018 5:25 PM

Marchbanks really need s to get out of his neck brace imo . Going down the steep hill s you could really see he could not get his ass really far back . As the neck brace would have prevented him from seeing forward. If u can wear on and it does nt affect motion (ie .a very long neck , ie Marv) then I think you can wear one . But these things don't fit the body shape of 95% of people .ie no way in he'll could tomac ride the exact same if he had one on . His head and body would have to be alot more straight up and stiff

|

5/19/2018 5:26 PM

Wow. OP got OneWord so worked up he wrote a short story. Congrats.

|

5/19/2018 5:31 PM

OneWordResponseGuy wrote:

So you see one guy, Garrett Marchbanks, wearing one of those bear traps and say "I'm pumped to see the new guys moving into the pro class rocking neck protection"?

OK cool story, here is a list of the other rookies that do not wear those injury inducing and technique terrorizing contraptions:
- Michael Mosiman
- Justin Cooper
- Jordan Bailey
- Enzo Lopes

But it's fine to say whatever you want to fit your narrative. I mean, it isn't like 95% of the other riders choose not to wear one either.

There is no trend.

LMAO !!!

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

5/19/2018 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2018 5:33 PM

So I read about this dude that got trapped in his burning car because he couldn't get his seatbelt off...er...never mind blink

|

5/19/2018 6:07 PM

Not a trend. I’d like to see less of them at the races altogether.

|

5/19/2018 6:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2018 6:38 PM

I predict that they will go away altogether...

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

5/19/2018 6:13 PM

I didn’t know that Vital had so many Orthopedic & Spine Specialists.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

5/19/2018 6:16 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

I didn’t know that Vital had so many Orthopedic & Spine Specialists.

You know it, brother! I come here for all of my medical advice...?

|

5/19/2018 6:19 PM

I should've known better.

|

5/19/2018 6:21 PM

aeffertz wrote:

I should've known better.

Yup

|

5/19/2018 6:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2018 6:40 PM

aeffertz wrote:

I should've known better.

Good thing for freedom of choice, eh?!

Ryno and Reedy, with their collective vast body of scientific knowledge, have theirs, and I have mine...

|

5/19/2018 6:51 PM

aeffertz wrote:

I should've known better.

Natester551v wrote:

Good thing for freedom of choice, eh?!

Ryno and Reedy, with their collective vast body of scientific knowledge, have theirs, and I have mine...

what would u kno about spinal injuries and the effects a neck brace can have on them

|

5/19/2018 6:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2018 6:55 PM

aeffertz wrote:

I should've known better.

Natester551v wrote:

Good thing for freedom of choice, eh?!

Ryno and Reedy, with their collective vast body of scientific knowledge, have theirs, and I have mine...

slamdmini wrote:

what would u kno about spinal injuries and the effects a neck brace can have on them

Lol...hey Jess! Not a darn thing, man!

|

5/19/2018 7:21 PM

OneWordResponseGuy wrote:

So you see one guy, Garrett Marchbanks, wearing one of those bear traps and say "I'm pumped to see the new guys moving into the pro class rocking neck protection"?

OK cool story, here is a list of the other rookies that do not wear those injury inducing and technique terrorizing contraptions:
- Michael Mosiman
- Justin Cooper
- Jordan Bailey
- Enzo Lopes

But it's fine to say whatever you want to fit your narrative. I mean, it isn't like 95% of the other riders choose not to wear one either.

There is no trend.

Love my atlas, 6D, and knee braces... that's just me though!

Bet you think a thin peice of plastic designed to deflect roost will protect your spine... me thinks not so much, but to each their own I suppose?!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

5/19/2018 8:36 PM

Just sitting here remembering that time at the lake Elsinore Grand Prix where I wore my neck brace and crashed my brains out, but woke up with just a little bit of soreness on my thoracic vertebrae instead of some broken cervicle vertebrae.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

5/19/2018 8:42 PM

They don’t seem to be a trend with the Pros. But they are a trend on children in amateur races and weekend riders. You know, those kids whose parents will do anything in their power to protect them. I see more of them now than I ever have and I cannot think of one of my friends who puts their kids on a bike without one

|

5/19/2018 10:13 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

I didn’t know that Vital had so many Orthopedic & Spine Specialists.

I don't know crap about orthopaedic or spine injury . But it s dam easy see when a riders range of motion is effected. And that is the number 1 reason people are stopping wearing them .

|

5/19/2018 10:25 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

I didn’t know that Vital had so many Orthopedic & Spine Specialists.

brimx153 wrote:

I don't know crap about orthopaedic or spine injury . But it s dam easy see when a riders range of motion is effected. And that is the number 1 reason people are stopping wearing them .

What people? Aren’t they selling more now than ever before? Just because Leatt doesn’t pay pros to wear their product does not mean they are not selling. They are all over the place with weekend rider/racers.
I don’t see pros wearing chest protectors either. I don’t mind losing a millisecond off a lap time to be better protected

|

5/19/2018 11:33 PM

KennyT wrote:

They don’t seem to be a trend with the Pros. But they are a trend on children in amateur races and weekend riders. You know, those kids whose parents will do anything in their power to protect them. I see more of them now than I ever have and I cannot think of one of my friends who puts their kids on a bike without one

The same people who will open their wallets with zero true understanding of a product because a for profit company tells them (I mean markets) that product will help their kid be safe or go fast? Yea, let’s just agree that there is a lot of money to be made in youth athletics.

|

5/19/2018 11:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2018 5:28 AM

The neck brace argument is a strange one for me, people in here get so worked up about it haha.. One thing I will say I'd suggest there's more research in the theory of why they work than in why they don't..

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

5/19/2018 11:56 PM

OneWordResponseGuy wrote:

So you see one guy, Garrett Marchbanks, wearing one of those bear traps and say "I'm pumped to see the new guys moving into the pro class rocking neck protection"?

OK cool story, here is a list of the other rookies that do not wear those injury inducing and technique terrorizing contraptions:
- Michael Mosiman
- Justin Cooper
- Jordan Bailey
- Enzo Lopes

But it's fine to say whatever you want to fit your narrative. I mean, it isn't like 95% of the other riders choose not to wear one either.

There is no trend.

bvm111 wrote:

Love my atlas, 6D, and knee braces... that's just me though!

Bet you think a thin peice of plastic designed to deflect roost will protect your spine... me thinks not so much, but to each their own I suppose?!

Who in their right mind uses roost deflectors as spinal protection?
Call me evil but i laugh sometimes when i see the GoFundme of riders that has hurt themselfs, wow so you broke your back, i bet not wearing that Leatt backpiece sure is as cool now as before..

|

5/20/2018 1:20 AM

I have a whole theory on how neck braces cause more barin trauma than without them. Think about it. I won't wear one. I used to,
My best friend growing up is really fucked up now from wearing a neck brace, brain stem twisted in his neck, can't walk, talk, or even feed himself. I feel like without it he would have maybe been a quad, Wich is much better than the state he's in. This was ten years ago. No chance of recovery unless stem cell tech becomes more refined.
Lay your arm on the table and roll it forward, your fist rolls backwards, now put your other hand around your wrist, do the same motion. The energy has to go somewhere, id rather snap my neck any day vs the other consequences I've seen.

|

5/20/2018 2:31 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

I didn’t know that Vital had so many Orthopedic & Spine Specialists.

brimx153 wrote:

I don't know crap about orthopaedic or spine injury . But it s dam easy see when a riders range of motion is effected. And that is the number 1 reason people are stopping wearing them .

I don't know about other neck braces, but if you combine one of the newer Leatts with their chest pro/body armor, then you literally CAN'T FEEL the brace while riding and can forget about having lack of range of motion in any way, no idea what you are talking about.

|

5/20/2018 2:59 AM

The only thing I know about neck braces is they must be dangerous, because pretty much everyone who wears one will tell you about the big crash they had where the neck braced saved their life or stopped them from becoming a quadriplegic. Keep those bloody crash magnets away from me.

|

5/20/2018 3:26 AM

How did RV go so fast with his tiny little neck and that bear trap holding him back.

I can see some drawbacks, Although i recently got a new one and compared to the original Leatt they are quite a bit sleeker and less restrictive. I think couples with a back protector, they could would be good, but it really would be interesting to have an independent researcher to test it and provide data.

|

5/20/2018 4:24 AM

rongi#401 wrote:

I have a whole theory on how neck braces cause more barin trauma than without them. Think about it. I won't wear one. I used to,
My best friend growing up is really fucked up now from wearing a neck brace, brain stem twisted in his neck, can't walk, talk, or even feed himself. I feel like without it he would have maybe been a quad, Wich is much better than the state he's in. This was ten years ago. No chance of recovery unless stem cell tech becomes more refined.
Lay your arm on the table and roll it forward, your fist rolls backwards, now put your other hand around your wrist, do the same motion. The energy has to go somewhere, id rather snap my neck any day vs the other consequences I've seen.

Pure speculation. Your entire post is all based on assumptions, and you provide zero facts to back up your claims.

I do not care what people wear. But, it seems like the people who do not like neck braces have no actual data to base their opinions on. This thread is a shining example of that...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/20/2018 5:06 AM

I surprised the old style neck donuts aren't still used as it would seem to me that a foam ring would give support but not be so rigid to cause issues. (Even more so if it was a dual density one).
Not that I ride, but I still have mine and would continue to use it if I rode.

|

5/20/2018 6:01 AM

OneWordResponseGuy wrote:

So you see one guy, Garrett Marchbanks, wearing one of those bear traps and say "I'm pumped to see the new guys moving into the pro class rocking neck protection"?

OK cool story, here is a list of the other rookies that do not wear those injury inducing and technique terrorizing contraptions:
- Michael Mosiman
- Justin Cooper
- Jordan Bailey
- Enzo Lopes

But it's fine to say whatever you want to fit your narrative. I mean, it isn't like 95% of the other riders choose not to wear one either.

There is no trend.

bvm111 wrote:

Love my atlas, 6D, and knee braces... that's just me though!

Bet you think a thin peice of plastic designed to deflect roost will protect your spine... me thinks not so much, but to each their own I suppose?!

Would you rather I hit you with a bat without one on, or with one on? Pressure is the enemy a lot of times, not force, and spreading the impact area can only decrease pressure. Might not do much falling from 30 feet in the air right to your back on flat dirt, but if there’s some sharp rocks in there it’s damn well going to help you.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com