Giuseppe Luongo on Red Bud and his view on why Tomac might never race MXGP!

Excaliburbmx
9/25/2018 4:50am
ML512 wrote:
Should of asked him what he'd have to gain, since he thinks he has so much to lose...
line-up wrote:
Villopoto can answer that question
He won one of 5 races he entered on his last year racing. He proved he could beat them.
Edd71
9/25/2018 5:06am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2018 5:11am
Aryen wrote:
About the pay for Eli and Jeffrey: I once read JH made close to a million euro’s the year he was 19 years old. That was...
About the pay for Eli and Jeffrey: I once read JH made close to a million euro’s the year he was 19 years old. That was in MX2. We’re now close to 5 years further in time. I assume the bonuses for race wins in MXGP are higher. Gear deals (Alpinestars, Airoh, Oakley and a lot of Dutch sponsors) no clue. Would Eli make that much more?
JH makes 3.5 million a year now, in a 3 year deal with KTM. No conflicting gear sponsors allowed. But he has his private sponsors like Specialized, Dodge, DC shoes Swiss Sense beds, Jumbo supermarkets etc.. so we don't have feel sorry for him. I assume that Tomac is on the same level.
JH is way the best paid rider in the GP circuit, even Cairoli makes barely 1 million out of his KTm contract.

I don't see Tomac coming to the GP's. He makes major money already, and can only risk alot. Remember Carmichael.
BTW, we had higher hopes of RC over here in Europe, but travelling different countries, climates and tracks all over the world in a season ain't simple..
9/25/2018 5:31am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2018 5:33am
Maybe this is why Tomac don't want to race the "prestigious WORLD MXGP series"

What a fucking joke half of these tracks are.

Race there or somewhere like below, such a hard choice.....

early
Fantasy
2212th
9/25/2018 5:35am
you have missed a lot of excellent racing the women this year have been off the charts and then the axe killer classes (125, 250, 300)...
you have missed a lot of excellent racing

the women this year have been off the charts and then the axe killer classes (125, 250, 300) are just scrappers all the time, the 120 deal is for A LOT of great racing Smile
I don't have a ton of extra time to watch the races of the support classes. I have the MotoGP pass and I've watched maybe 2 Moto2 or Moto3 races this year. The AMA series and MotoGP have provided more than enough action to keep me entertained.

The Shop

keinz
9/25/2018 5:40am
DoubleA wrote:
Okay 90% of euros wanting to ride SX is a straight up a lie. In the last eight years what euros have gone over there Roczen...
Okay 90% of euros wanting to ride SX is a straight up a lie. In the last eight years what euros have gone over there Roczen, Musquin, Ferrandis, all from countries who hosts SX races last time I checked 3 people isn't 90% so please stop with the BS.

The reason you have FIM as part of SX is to make it a World Championship and that is why the FIM will not leave because your guys want it to be classed a world championship. A World Championship is greater than a countries series it does not matter which series has the better riders.

I think a lot of you are getting confused, SX brings in the most money we all know that but that does not make it a better series than either MX series. Everyone starts riding because of motocross not supercross remember your roots.

Also here is how I compare MX and SX. MX is like 1500m running, SX is like 200m running, both are running but you train differently for both.
200 m hurdles running
Ewan49
9/25/2018 5:44am
Maybe this is why Tomac don't want to race the "prestigious WORLD MXGP series" [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/25/289423/s1200_Image_1.jpg[/img] What a fucking joke half of these tracks are. Race there...

I'm a proud Aussie, so no American bias, no Euro bias. I am just an out and out fan of MX no matter where it is raced. However, I am so scared for my beloved sport when I see a MX track presented in such a sad way that the Imola track is being presented. Sad....so very sad!!!
9/25/2018 5:57am
Just reading the answers made me want to puke. In my opinion the guy doesn't like motocross...he likes money.
early
Fantasy
2212th
9/25/2018 6:02am
Just reading the answers made me want to puke. In my opinion the guy doesn't like motocross...he likes money.
I don't recall DC ever cancelling an event because of "lack of government support"
Bearuno
9/25/2018 6:22am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2018 6:32am
Well, out of the 20 scheduled MXGPs, there's 2 at Road Race Circuits.

Assen is 'saved' by being sand. Though, most of us would want it elsewhere.

Imola - cripes I hope it's sand, or decent dirt. As above, most of us would prefer it elsewhere, say, Maggiora. But, I think planned 'burning of bridges' (to have things the way Guiseppe / the Track organizers wanted in the 2016 MXDN) have ruled that out for quite some time, or, forever.

Frauenfeld - not terrible, but, once again, most would want it at one of the great Swiss tracks.

Turkey - new venue. Not that bad. Just on flat ground. Much of the Earth is flat ground. Let's see if it survives.

So, there's your 'pop up' tracks. 4 out of 20.

Indonesia:

It's a massive, Massive market for both bike sales and spectators. Racing sells more than Race bikes. Just as an example, It utterly dwarfs the US Market. You US blokes need to check bike sales in the US. Cripes, with about 13 / 14 times the population of Australia, you only buy about 5 times more bikes than us. We Western markets are losing importance to the manufacturers, every bloody year.

Pankal Penang - been there twice. Saved by being sand - 1st one buggered up by rain, but mainly track builders not being aware of the water table, and not providing adequate drainage. Great spectator turn out, both times - despite what wankers who weren't there BS about.

Semarang - once again, went to it myself. Go back and have a squizz at it - it's an effing Great track. I really hope it remains on the circuit, and is a permanent facility for Indonesian riders. Great Spectator turn out, again.

And, as uninspiring as Imola looks in that picture, and as a few of the above are, they sure as shit are better tracks than any vicious, gloried BMX track that is a SX track. Some will say 'Daytona', but fuck that, it's still a narrow little, vicious track plonked down in front of the stands.

Goodness knows what we'll see with the Hong Kong and China tracks next year - probably uninspiring tracks, but, I hope not. I hope to be able to wangle a combo business / MX trip there. As in, some other bastard pays for it.....

As for Luongo's ( and so many other Sports controllers) 'marketing' model of getting Governments etc to pay for 'things', well, yes, they eventually cotton on to the 'con', if it ( and it inevitably turns out to be) is a financial disaster. We live in a very, very 'connected World' - you'd think that Governments / Major Sponsors would be becoming more and more aware of the BS put forward by some Promoters, and do far more thorough Due Diligence.

But, it seems to be the way things are, in major sporting events promoters / controllers / owners - or, ones that think they can be. Leaving behind burnt bridges, and, ultimately, hurting the sport - but leaving a few, with their pockets / bank accounts rather full.
JFerry
9/25/2018 6:51am
For americans if you don't clear the triple, it's not motocross.
For european's if you don't get dirty, it's not motocross.
Anyhow, Imola is a bad track because I saw it in twitter. Wouldn't be better to wait for the GP?
Husky807
9/25/2018 7:14am
Maybe this is why Tomac don't want to race the "prestigious WORLD MXGP series" [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/25/289423/s1200_Image_1.jpg[/img] What a fucking joke half of these tracks are. Race there...

Tracks like that are putting me off watching MXGP these days. Even though i'm from the UK i have always much preferred the National series, the tracks just have so much more substance. Who cares about the 'variety' the GP's claim to have if half of the tracks are man made, one lined shit shows? Give me Washougal, Red Bud and Millville any day.
4One7
Fantasy
2611th
9/25/2018 7:17am
Prejump wrote:
Supercross is a different sport in which doesnt have much competition with rival series. SX is followed by casual extreme sport type fans, that likely have...

Supercross is a different sport in which doesnt have much competition with rival series.

SX is followed by casual extreme sport type fans, that likely have not raced a dirt bike by in large.

MX is more of a racers sport & fan base.

Personally I think MXGP is more prestigious because in really matters to the hardcore fans. The fans that understand the sport & who are passionate about it.

SX fans are a bunch of hot dog eating chumps who get frills sitting next to a triple jumps for 4 hours.

If Tomac gave MXGP a proper go, it would add that next level prestigious the series deserves.

I cant for the life of me realise how winning a SX title could mean more then a MXGP title. Its a laughable comparison.
"If Tomac gave MXGP a proper go, it would add that next level prestigious the series deserves."

Its not about what the MXGP can do for Tomac, rather what Tomac can do for the MXGP? I believe there is a reason why an MXGP rider wanted to race a US national in 2017, and I do not believe it was something that was just a contracted event (I could be wrong). There is also a reason why the worlds top riders want to come to race the US nationals and supercross. Lets talk about the Gaiser rumors of him coming to the states for supercross and nationals some time ago, even Hunter Lawrence leaving the GP series and doing supercross and nationals. The outdoors have some of the worlds top level riders in the series too, not just the top Americans. Why not flip this to why Roczen should go back to race the GP's again?

Just a thought, not throwing it at anyone or saying one series is better or more prestigious than the other.
MR. X
9/25/2018 7:18am
Prejump wrote:
Why does everything have to come down to money ? None of you know what Herlings or Tomac gross each season. Clearly it's safe to say...
Why does everything have to come down to money ?

None of you know what Herlings or Tomac gross each season. Clearly it's safe to say they don't have to worry about paying their mortgage.

The reason Tomac should IMO want to go MXGP, is try to become a frigging World Champion !!!

That should matter, not who's sponsors are worth the most.

Where's your US pride at....

The same reason the top athletes in other sports don't go over seas to play.
Flip109
9/25/2018 7:38am
Flip109 wrote:
He definitely has a point about the travel and different cultures week to week. Sounds like a bunch of suck to me. Def have to be...
He definitely has a point about the travel and different cultures week to week. Sounds like a bunch of suck to me. Def have to be brought up in that environment for it be enjoyable. I’d have no desire to chase that for less money.

Prejump wrote:
With respect the only bunch of suck is your attitude. Being a world champion in any sport involves that. Its all part of it. Traveling the...
With respect the only bunch of suck is your attitude.

Being a world champion in any sport involves that. Its all part of it.

Traveling the world, meeting different people & experiencing the cultures is what makes is so special.

Cairoli, Everts, Leok, Stribos & countless other top riders that rode long GP careers will tell you just how amazing it is to travel the world racing the sport you love.

The problem with the US is your inwardly focused. You need to dream bigger & think less negatively.

I have nothing but respect for the guys that race the world championship. Obviously it’s a very difficult series to race. Wasn’t being negative. Just stating it would be hard growing up in the US all your life and racing here, then having to jump into and deal with all that. That is all. Didn’t mean to come off throwing mud at the GP series.
JFerry
9/25/2018 7:57am
The structure is different. Next to the GP there's the EMX series. 125 and 250. The emx300 is a different story. The EMX series take place in Europe. Plenty of teams and meant as a promotion series. Kids run de show. The best ones may have a go in MX2. The best of those will have a chance in MXGP. The less gifted will focus on something else and a few will get a chance in the AMA.
No surprise that Herlings can start one lap later and still catch most of them.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/25/2018 8:09am
Edd71 wrote:
JH makes 3.5 million a year now, in a 3 year deal with KTM. No conflicting gear sponsors allowed. But he has his private sponsors like...
JH makes 3.5 million a year now, in a 3 year deal with KTM. No conflicting gear sponsors allowed. But he has his private sponsors like Specialized, Dodge, DC shoes Swiss Sense beds, Jumbo supermarkets etc.. so we don't have feel sorry for him. I assume that Tomac is on the same level.
JH is way the best paid rider in the GP circuit, even Cairoli makes barely 1 million out of his KTm contract.

I don't see Tomac coming to the GP's. He makes major money already, and can only risk alot. Remember Carmichael.
BTW, we had higher hopes of RC over here in Europe, but travelling different countries, climates and tracks all over the world in a season ain't simple..
Didn't Pit say when they resigned Herlings awhile back that he is now on the Dungey/AC level. If so Dungey was making way more than Million from KTM years ago and putting ACs name with Dungey would imply that he was as well. I have a hard time thinking AC is "only" at a million. And if so no wonder guys come to the States if a 9 time champ is "only" making a million.

What are you using Carmichael as a reference for? Just curious?

As far as climate goes, if Tomac went to the GPs it would be the coolest temps he has ever raced outdoors in. He would love the lack of heat and humidity compered to normal MX season for him.
motomike137
9/25/2018 8:14am
JFerry wrote:
For americans if you don't clear the triple, it's not motocross. For european's if you don't get dirty, it's not motocross. Anyhow, Imola is a bad...
For americans if you don't clear the triple, it's not motocross.
For european's if you don't get dirty, it's not motocross.
Anyhow, Imola is a bad track because I saw it in twitter. Wouldn't be better to wait for the GP?
Dude your stink bait won't catch you any keepers.
tingo
9/25/2018 8:40am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2018 8:41am
Prejump wrote:
I dont believe Im looking at it wrong, I guess it's my personal opinion that MXGP world title means more then a SX title. I respect...
I dont believe Im looking at it wrong, I guess it's my personal opinion that MXGP world title means more then a SX title.

I respect an MXGP champion more then an SX champion. If I could of campaigned for either title & what I would liked to have told the grand kids, my choice would be world MXGP. It's not all about money & frankly it makes me sick how many of your place all your importance on money. Just think how many amazing experiences come from traveling the world, racing all the different nationalities in all the unusual countries. Yet all you care about is monster paid a bigger bonus because the stadium generated more income. Not what our sport is about.

Eli could wake up one morning & express a personal wish to shoot for a world mxgp title if he wished, a factory would of course make it happen if he really wanted it, he would be paid very well. Herlings would have real competition, the standard of the class would be pushed to a new level, in the industry could market this more & the sport would grow.

I honestly cant see how wanting to hold back elite talent in national series helps anyone.
Ignoring your pretentious suggestion that many of us (Vital members) place all of our importance on money, why wouldn't Eli, Herlings, and every other pro make as much money as they can? Keep in mind that this is their career, and it won't last long.

As for traveling the world, I'm pretty sure all of the top riders will have enough money in retirement (in their late 20s to early 30s) to take themselves, their families, and their misplaced values wherever they want, and not have to do it on Luongo's schedule. If you don't think the sport (at the pro level) is about generating more income (be it a SX stadium or dirt dumped on an infield in Italy), you are sorely mistaken.

Your inability to see is because your love of the GPs (it's a WORLD championship!!!) and false-consensus bias blinds you to any rational acceptance as to what the racers choose to do and what many of the other fans value. Eli isn't being held back by some mysterious force; he's kicking ass and banking money in the series HE chooses to race.

Now, if that silly Herlings would just wake up and realize he should join us here in the US. Whistling
mx617
9/25/2018 8:47am
Flip109 wrote:
He definitely has a point about the travel and different cultures week to week. Sounds like a bunch of suck to me. Def have to be...
He definitely has a point about the travel and different cultures week to week. Sounds like a bunch of suck to me. Def have to be brought up in that environment for it be enjoyable. I’d have no desire to chase that for less money.

See I'd look at that as a selling point. Get the see the world while getting paid and riding my dirt bike? Where do I sign. But I guess not being American I realize there's more to planet earth than that.
early
Fantasy
2212th
9/25/2018 8:55am
mx617 wrote:
See I'd look at that as a selling point. Get the see the world while getting paid and riding my dirt bike? Where do I sign...
See I'd look at that as a selling point. Get the see the world while getting paid and riding my dirt bike? Where do I sign. But I guess not being American I realize there's more to planet earth than that.
Do you travel for work? How much fun is that vs a vacation on your own time?
wfopete
9/25/2018 8:57am
Tomas is a country hometown boy. He isn't interested in going across the pond for an extended time.
9/25/2018 10:17am
early wrote:
I don't recall DC ever cancelling an event because of "lack of government support"
Wait did i miss something here? I was talking about Giuseppe Luongo...

early
Fantasy
2212th
9/25/2018 10:41am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2018 10:42am

No, you didn't miss anything, you said GL doesn't care about MX and I can agree. He talks about how Spain and Argentina are hinging on government subsidy, Matterly attendance isn't good so they move it to March(?!), Teams fly too much gear around the world (how much do all those signs weigh?), and then he throws shade at Tomac.

Just saying you don't see these things coming from DC for the most part.
Flip109
9/25/2018 11:45am
Flip109 wrote:

mx617 wrote:
See I'd look at that as a selling point. Get the see the world while getting paid and riding my dirt bike? Where do I sign...
You act like they are going to vacation hot spots. They fly in, race for a few days, then gtfo quick to go train and race for the next one. If given the choice I’d stay and race in the states in a better environment. Make more money. Then when I’m done go see the world as I see fit. But you do you booboo and I’ll do me in our imaginary pro racer lives Laughing
9/25/2018 12:12pm

early wrote:
No, you didn't miss anything, you said GL doesn't care about MX and I can agree. He talks about how Spain and Argentina are hinging on...
No, you didn't miss anything, you said GL doesn't care about MX and I can agree. He talks about how Spain and Argentina are hinging on government subsidy, Matterly attendance isn't good so they move it to March(?!), Teams fly too much gear around the world (how much do all those signs weigh?), and then he throws shade at Tomac.

Just saying you don't see these things coming from DC for the most part.
Dang im slow after a day's work!

Very true. Whenever i read DC or about him, his passion for the sport comes out like fire.
mark_swart
9/25/2018 12:42pm
Prejump wrote:
Supercross is a different sport in which doesnt have much competition with rival series. SX is followed by casual extreme sport type fans, that likely have...

Supercross is a different sport in which doesnt have much competition with rival series.

SX is followed by casual extreme sport type fans, that likely have not raced a dirt bike by in large.

MX is more of a racers sport & fan base.

Personally I think MXGP is more prestigious because in really matters to the hardcore fans. The fans that understand the sport & who are passionate about it.

SX fans are a bunch of hot dog eating chumps who get frills sitting next to a triple jumps for 4 hours.

If Tomac gave MXGP a proper go, it would add that next level prestigious the series deserves.

I cant for the life of me realise how winning a SX title could mean more then a MXGP title. Its a laughable comparison.
For perspective, maybe you should ask Roczen, Musquin, Reed or so many other guys who moved from MXGP to the US so they could try to win in SX.

I'm not saying an SX title means more on a one-for-one basis, but I feel like an SX title AND an MXGP title means more than two MXGP titles.

RV figured out how to get to the top in MXGP in what, three rounds? And that wasn't even at his prime. I have no doubt Jeffrey would figure out SX in about half a season as long as he didn't break any collarbones. It's a shame the world will never get to see that. No matter how many MXGP titles a rider has, without SX they don't have the full portfolio. And I'm not bashing MXGP, I would say the same thing about a US based rider who only wanted to race outdoors.

mx617
9/25/2018 2:24pm
mx617 wrote:
early wrote:
Do you travel for work? How much fun is that vs a vacation on your own time?
I do travel for work, mostly within Canada though. And yeah, maybe it's not as much fun as a vacation, but that doesn't mean it's not any fun.
mx617
9/25/2018 2:25pm
Flip109 wrote:

mx617 wrote:
Flip109 wrote:
You act like they are going to vacation hot spots. They fly in, race for a few days, then gtfo quick to go train and race...
You act like they are going to vacation hot spots. They fly in, race for a few days, then gtfo quick to go train and race for the next one. If given the choice I’d stay and race in the states in a better environment. Make more money. Then when I’m done go see the world as I see fit. But you do you booboo and I’ll do me in our imaginary pro racer lives Laughing
Fair enough, they're not there for long. For me though, I see the travel as a plus. And since it's my imaginary pro career of course I'm flying first class with two models to keep me companyWoohoo
ShipLap
9/25/2018 8:50pm
I prefer that Tomac stays in the US and Herlings stays in Europe. That way, we can speculate for four months a year who is fastest, and anticipate them racing each other in the MXdN.
Flip109
9/25/2018 9:12pm
ShipLap wrote:
I prefer that Tomac stays in the US and Herlings stays in Europe. That way, we can speculate for four months a year who is fastest...
I prefer that Tomac stays in the US and Herlings stays in Europe. That way, we can speculate for four months a year who is fastest, and anticipate them racing each other in the MXdN.
You sir are in luck LaughingSilly

Post a reply to: Giuseppe Luongo on Red Bud and his view on why Tomac might never race MXGP!

The Latest