Giuseppe Luongo on Red Bud and his view on why Tomac might never race MXGP!

mccread
Edited Date/Time 10/1/2018 12:43pm
Gatedrop.com caught up with Youthstream boss Giuseppe Luongo to talk about a range of issues, from the date of the British GP to the MXoN at Red Bud, the speed of Herlings and found out why he believes Eli Tomac will never race MXGP - because he has too much to lose!

GL interview
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/24/2018 10:10am
Should of asked him what he'd have to gain, since he thinks he has so much to lose...
line-up
9/24/2018 10:15am
ML512 wrote:
Should of asked him what he'd have to gain, since he thinks he has so much to lose...
Villopoto can answer that question
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
9/24/2018 10:26am
It would be interesting to know who made more money this year

Herlings , Anderson or Tomac

It was always said that the USA had bigger paydays with bonuses etc , but is it still true now ?

The Shop

Bearuno
9/24/2018 10:28am
Luongo is a Prick. An Absolute one.

But, read this and if you've half a brain, you'll see he's not putting Tomac down.

Yes, he'd have a Lot to loose - forgoing US titles and earnings, from series he's grown into, with a lifestyle, and income, he, I'd assume, loves.

To go to the GPs, with exactly the differences / challenges Luongo The Drongo makes mention of - why would he? It would be a very, very hard ask, for anyone.

I'd love to see it, but, I very much doubt it would ever happen. Fair enough, too.
500guy
9/24/2018 10:52am
scott_nz wrote:
It would be interesting to know who made more money this year Herlings , Anderson or Tomac It was always said that the USA had bigger...

It was always said that the USA had bigger paydays with bonuses etc , but is it still true now ?
You forgot to ad Luongo to that list of top earners. =)
omalley
9/24/2018 10:53am
scott_nz wrote:
It would be interesting to know who made more money this year Herlings , Anderson or Tomac It was always said that the USA had bigger...

500guy wrote:
He’s near the top of a different list-Thieves. He’s sucking MXGP dry. Not earning it.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
9/24/2018 10:55am
500guy wrote:
Good point , then You might as well add feld too then ,
9/24/2018 11:23am
not satisfied with the spectators’ turn-out at matterley basin! Try not ripping us off ! One word! Greed !
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/24/2018 11:30am
scott_nz wrote:

My opinion would be Tomac as top earner just slightly over Anderson, then Herlings behind them. Bonuses in MXGP aren't as big as here and their gear deals don't pay as well. Even base contracts are a little less but from my understanding Herlings is right up there at what KTM's max is now (same base pay as Dungey was getting).
9/24/2018 11:31am
GL : « Jeffrey is the fastest rider I have ever seen in my 35 years of career »

Looks like GL never saw Stew or RC in person !
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/24/2018 11:34am
It's like asking what Jeffrey would gain by racing here year-round.
Robgvx
9/24/2018 12:00pm
What I took away from that interview is that unless you have a government benefactor that hasn’t yet realised that the costs far outweigh any benefit of financially supporting an MXGP event, then the race isn’t happening.

That business model isn’t sustainable.
VicDaMoan03
9/24/2018 12:10pm
I don't particularly like the guy, but it sounded like a fair answer to me.
500guy
9/24/2018 12:12pm
Robgvx wrote:
What I took away from that interview is that unless you have a government benefactor that hasn’t yet realised that the costs far outweigh any benefit...
What I took away from that interview is that unless you have a government benefactor that hasn’t yet realised that the costs far outweigh any benefit of financially supporting an MXGP event, then the race isn’t happening.

That business model isn’t sustainable.
We all said that 10 years ago yet here we are.
ayearinmx
9/24/2018 12:19pm
ML512 wrote:
My opinion would be Tomac as top earner just slightly over Anderson, then Herlings behind them. Bonuses in MXGP aren't as big as here and their...
My opinion would be Tomac as top earner just slightly over Anderson, then Herlings behind them. Bonuses in MXGP aren't as big as here and their gear deals don't pay as well. Even base contracts are a little less but from my understanding Herlings is right up there at what KTM's max is now (same base pay as Dungey was getting).
I'd be very surprised if Herlings' win bonuses aren't a match with anyone worldwide, supercross of motocross... And he's won a lot
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/24/2018 12:30pm
ayearinmx wrote:
I'd be very surprised if Herlings' win bonuses aren't a match with anyone worldwide, supercross of motocross... And he's won a lot
Well, Eli has 10 SX wins and 8 MX wins this year, how many wins does Jeffrey have?
9/24/2018 12:34pm
ML512 wrote:
My opinion would be Tomac as top earner just slightly over Anderson, then Herlings behind them. Bonuses in MXGP aren't as big as here and their...
Michael, with you being in the industry how much would you say « approximatively » Tomac earned this year ? Sx + Mx + Bonus + Gear deals ?

Thx in advance !
Prejump
9/24/2018 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2018 12:42pm
Why does everything have to come down to money ?

None of you know what Herlings or Tomac gross each season. Clearly it's safe to say they don't have to worry about paying their mortgage.

The reason Tomac should IMO want to go MXGP, is try to become a frigging World Champion !!!

That should matter, not who's sponsors are worth the most.

Where's your US pride at....

early
Fantasy
2231st
9/24/2018 12:47pm
Prejump wrote:
Why does everything have to come down to money ? None of you know what Herlings or Tomac gross each season. Clearly it's safe to say...

None of you know what Herlings or Tomac gross each season. Clearly it's safe to say they don't have to worry about paying their mortgage.

The reason Tomac should IMO want to go MXGP, is try to become a frigging World Champion !!!

I think there would have been a much better chance of him going to the GPs later in his career if the shoulder injuriea hadn't taken a year and a half out of his prime. He still has lots of unfinished business here.
Flip109
9/24/2018 12:48pm
He definitely has a point about the travel and different cultures week to week. Sounds like a bunch of suck to me. Def have to be brought up in that environment for it be enjoyable. I’d have no desire to chase that for less money.

Titan1
9/24/2018 12:52pm
Prejump wrote:
Why does everything have to come down to money ? None of you know what Herlings or Tomac gross each season. Clearly it's safe to say...

But "World Champion" is in name only. Supercross is still the pinnacle of the dirt bike racing world (as unfortunate as that is)...and until MXGP becomes the pinnacle of the dirt bike racing world, MXGP will only be a world championship in name only.

Yeah, yeah, yeah only Americans and the french (and that one German fellow...Roczen) care about supercross...doesn't matter. Supercross is still the most prestigious, sought after, and valued dirt bike racing championship in the world.

I don't care all that much for supercross...I love MXGP and the Nationals...but supercross is the alpha male in terms of dirt bike racing.
scootch
9/24/2018 12:53pm
Take money out of the equation... I think it would be bad ass to see Tomac go try and get a MXGP championship after a few more years in the US. Has any modern rider done that? I think it's safe to say the records set by McGrath and RC are safe for probably decades to come.. so chasing that goal is somewhat a pipe dream at this point. So why not try and go show the entire world that you are without question the baddest MOFO to ride a dirt bike in your given era
Prejump
9/24/2018 12:56pm
Flip109 wrote:
He definitely has a point about the travel and different cultures week to week. Sounds like a bunch of suck to me. Def have to be...
He definitely has a point about the travel and different cultures week to week. Sounds like a bunch of suck to me. Def have to be brought up in that environment for it be enjoyable. I’d have no desire to chase that for less money.

With respect the only bunch of suck is your attitude.

Being a world champion in any sport involves that. Its all part of it.

Traveling the world, meeting different people & experiencing the cultures is what makes is so special.

Cairoli, Everts, Leok, Stribos & countless other top riders that rode long GP careers will tell you just how amazing it is to travel the world racing the sport you love.

The problem with the US is your inwardly focused. You need to dream bigger & think less negatively.

Prejump
9/24/2018 1:06pm
Titan1 wrote:
But "World Champion" is in name only. Supercross is still the pinnacle of the dirt bike racing world (as unfortunate as that is)...and until MXGP becomes...
But "World Champion" is in name only. Supercross is still the pinnacle of the dirt bike racing world (as unfortunate as that is)...and until MXGP becomes the pinnacle of the dirt bike racing world, MXGP will only be a world championship in name only.

Yeah, yeah, yeah only Americans and the french (and that one German fellow...Roczen) care about supercross...doesn't matter. Supercross is still the most prestigious, sought after, and valued dirt bike racing championship in the world.

I don't care all that much for supercross...I love MXGP and the Nationals...but supercross is the alpha male in terms of dirt bike racing.

Supercross is a different sport in which doesnt have much competition with rival series.

SX is followed by casual extreme sport type fans, that likely have not raced a dirt bike by in large.

MX is more of a racers sport & fan base.

Personally I think MXGP is more prestigious because in really matters to the hardcore fans. The fans that understand the sport & who are passionate about it.

SX fans are a bunch of hot dog eating chumps who get frills sitting next to a triple jumps for 4 hours.

If Tomac gave MXGP a proper go, it would add that next level prestigious the series deserves.

I cant for the life of me realise how winning a SX title could mean more then a MXGP title. Its a laughable comparison.
9/24/2018 1:07pm
ayearinmx wrote:
early wrote:
Well, Eli has 10 SX wins and 8 MX wins this year, how many wins does Jeffrey have?
if he wins last round he has 17 wins out of 19 GP starts
missed one GP and ended up second the other 2 ...
he won all rounds in dutch nationals ( 4 GP's and won al 8 moto's )

so his win percentage is pretty good Wink

APLMAN99
9/24/2018 1:07pm
Luongo may have been a little bit drunk when he talked about the US and the GP series becoming "specialized" since Villopoto was talked into going over for a final tour.

While the GP guys definitely tend to specialize in outdoor MX, the AMA guys mostly do both SX and MX, giving them a fairly broad skill set.

I think most people would agree that Tomac and Herlings can compete with each other pretty freaking well on a motocross track, but I doubt that many would agree that they'd be equally as competitive on a SX track right now.....
500guy
9/24/2018 1:09pm
Prejump wrote:
With respect the only bunch of suck is your attitude. Being a world champion in any sport involves that. Its all part of it. Traveling the...
With respect the only bunch of suck is your attitude.

Being a world champion in any sport involves that. Its all part of it.

Traveling the world, meeting different people & experiencing the cultures is what makes is so special.

Cairoli, Everts, Leok, Stribos & countless other top riders that rode long GP careers will tell you just how amazing it is to travel the world racing the sport you love.

The problem with the US is your inwardly focused. You need to dream bigger & think less negatively.

The problem with you is you think you know what is good for us but you don't.

When the GP's mean more than Supercross the people funding everything will make it happen, Don't try to make like Americans have no pride because we don't rush over at our expense to entertain you.
500guy
9/24/2018 1:12pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Luongo may have been a little bit drunk when he talked about the US and the GP series becoming "specialized" since Villopoto was talked into going...
Luongo may have been a little bit drunk when he talked about the US and the GP series becoming "specialized" since Villopoto was talked into going over for a final tour.

While the GP guys definitely tend to specialize in outdoor MX, the AMA guys mostly do both SX and MX, giving them a fairly broad skill set.

I think most people would agree that Tomac and Herlings can compete with each other pretty freaking well on a motocross track, but I doubt that many would agree that they'd be equally as competitive on a SX track right now.....
RV wanted to quit, They wouldn't let him, the GP's were a last resort, His heart wasn't in it or things would have been different.
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/24/2018 1:13pm
if he wins last round he has 17 wins out of 19 GP starts missed one GP and ended up second the other 2 ... he...
if he wins last round he has 17 wins out of 19 GP starts
missed one GP and ended up second the other 2 ...
he won all rounds in dutch nationals ( 4 GP's and won al 8 moto's )

so his win percentage is pretty good Wink

Which is why I watched the GP highlights this year instead of paying $120+ for the season pass Laughing

Post a reply to: Giuseppe Luongo on Red Bud and his view on why Tomac might never race MXGP!

The Latest