Getting kids interested in riding.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/18/2020 1:00 PM

Need some advice from dads out there. I have a three year old who has very little interest in riding. I had bought him a new pw50 when he was 1 and by 2 he was able to ride independently with training wheels on and dad just watching from a distance. Then interest fell off. No wreck or anything just didn't want to ride. Bike sat in the garage and collected dust for 6 months before we decided to sell. Now he is getting close to 4 and I would love to have him give it a shot again. Should I be trying something like a Stacyc? He can do a Strider bike but not pedaling on his own yet. Try another dirt bike? Give up and just let him play legos like he wants haha!

|

6/18/2020 1:06 PM

My twins just turned 5, their interest in riding changes week to week. This spring they both wanted to ride all day every day. Lately they have no interest because it’s warmer out and they are doing other things..

You’re over thinking this...Christ he’s only 3...Why did you sell his PW50 already?

Sounds like you’re over reacting...

|

6/18/2020 1:09 PM

Too much pressure is going to make him tired and lose interest in mx.

|

rarararaataatatatata

6/18/2020 1:11 PM

Get him around other kids that ride, take him to the track and hang out with the pdub fams and introduce yourselves to the fast mini kids and then watch their motos and cheer for them. Hopefully that might make him excited. Maybe start watching the Deegan YouTube channel with him.

|

6/18/2020 1:17 PM

Brad460 wrote:

My twins just turned 5, their interest in riding changes week to week. This spring they both wanted to ride all day every day. Lately they have no interest because it’s warmer out and they are doing other things..

You’re over thinking this...Christ he’s only 3...Why did you sell his PW50 already?

Those things are tough to find now but at the time they were a dime a dozen everywhere. I figured we would sell and then pick up another one if the interest spiked again. Unfortunately now they are scarce. He said it was too noisy and that it scared him, stock exhaust btw. He does however ride a little electric quad we got him all the time. I think I mostly jumped to selling to try and find something/anything that got him outside and that he found enjoyable. The electric, quieter stuff seems to do that at the moment. Thats what makes me think maybe try a Stacyc. But like you said, maybe Im overreacting and its one of those things you just have around and go along with his interest level.

|

6/18/2020 1:19 PM

I just ask my kids if they want to go riding every so often. If they don't, no big deal! Sometimes they even come to me asking to ride. I don't push it and never will!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

6/18/2020 1:20 PM

"He does however ride a little electric quad we got him all the time."

Another failed motocrosser.

|

6/18/2020 1:24 PM

This is only my experience, so take it for what it's worth.

My 7 year old just started riding this year. Since he was born he has come to the track with me on a regular basis, travelled around to supercross and generally been obsessed with all things dirt bikes EXCEPT actually riding. Grandma and grandpa have a CRF50 for him that he tried out when he was 4 and hated it. He had zero interest in riding until he finally gave it another shot this year and now he loves it. Every day he asks to go riding.

There wasn't ever much pressure from me - I'd ask him from time to time if he wanted to give it another go, but when the answer was no, I just left it at that. He's always been a great riding buddy even if he wasn't riding.

My advise? Leave it alone, gently prod him from time to time and maybe one day he'll pick it up.

|

6/18/2020 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2020 1:36 PM

Brad460 wrote:

my 9 year old step son is the same way, some days he begs to ride and others he refuses to touch it.

i did try to put him on a KTM 50 SXSR and he hated the noise so much that he didn't ride for about 6 months.

i've just decided to stop pushing him to ride and take him when he actually does want to go.

|

6/18/2020 1:43 PM

The new brushless Stacyc looks pretty cool. Considered grabbing one even though my kid has a quad and a pw. The quiet part is a big seller to some kids, and its neighborhood friendly.

My kid had a bad incident on his first time on the quad for his 3rd birthday. Fortunately it was fall and time heals everything. By spring he was a pro. I soon realized how dangerous quads are. I should have either bought a slower quad or had Stacyc been out, got one of them.

IMO the riding a bike without training has little to do with balance, and everything to do with focus. Before being able to ride without training wheels, he was looking everywhere but forward and at the task on hand. Once he kicked the training wheels, he proceeded to crash his bike about 100x (and still does fairly regular) because of not paying attention. A lot easier to have your kid crash on a bike than a motorized vehicle. And with kids this age, every couple of months is like a year of development. What your kid doesnt like, understand, or struggle with today is going to be different i 2 months

|

6/18/2020 1:49 PM

My $02. ? Put the PW in the garage and let him do whatever he likes to do. He's 3 laughing (IMO) let him get good on a bicycle first, let him just play with the thing, learn how to skid, ghost ride the bike into the fence, whatever he wants, treat the bike like a toy. Then when he gets older bolder and stronger think about the PW. The worst thing that can happen is he gets intimidated and afraid of it. To me, (and this is just my opinion) he'll have the most fun on the PW if he's a little too big for it, if he can muscle it around a little and rip the snot out of it it'll be way better than if it scares him even once. I know it sucks to wait because we have such a passion for it, but he has his whole life to ride, let him ride things he can master easily and feel like a hero. Keep it fun and no pressure. .

|

6/18/2020 3:27 PM

Some kids just never have an interest, some do.
My son's been riding since he was 3 (21 now), and he absolutely loves it.
My daughter never showed much interest, but I got her a XR50 when she was six. She only rode it twice, and was much happier when I sold it and gave her (at 14) the cash.

|

6/18/2020 3:34 PM

Heres some advice and Im glad i learned it from observation.

Some kids follow in their parents footsteps but a lot of kids dont.

My dads favorite thing to do is trap, then fish. Yes, he likes to ride too but his favorite is probably trapping.

I love mx, have since I was 2, it is my favorite thing. Dont know if that will be the case for my son. My twin brother likes hunting best, my youngest brother likes mx best.

Another example, my uncle loved sports and pushed his son because his son was good size for football and baseball and he got d2 offers but he liked hunting more, never pursued sports after high school. My cousins son likes sports and hunting but his favorite thing to do is fish.

Everyone is different, maybe your kid will love mx best, maybe he wont like it at all. Dont push them, if they want to do it they will do it.

|

6/18/2020 3:36 PM

Kids need hero's. So go with your kid(s) wive to a pro or pro(am) event where he can see what the best are doing with those bikes. Being at the track a few times will spike interest, also because he will make some friends and those friends are interested in bikes.

Don't try to push it that doesn't work.

|

6/18/2020 3:37 PM

I just watched SX/MX on TV, took my kids to the track, and took them on bike rides. One day I took them to the motorcycle dealer and casually strolled past the PWs. My son jumped right on one without even being asked. Yep, he likes it!

Don't push too hard. All you really have to do is get them to notice the sport and kids will be into it. If they think it was their idea, so much the better.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/18/2020 3:46 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I just ask my kids if they want to go riding every so often. If they don't, no big deal! Sometimes they even come to me asking to ride. I don't push it and never will!

This 100%! All kids are different. My ten year old girl had been riding since age 5. She loves it but there are plenty of times when I ask her if she wants to ride and she says no. I don’t push it and sure enough she’s wanting to ride again soon enough. My 7 year old girl is the total opposite, she’s never really liked to ride but she does from time to time which is cool with me. She Also has a pw 50 and has told me that she doesn’t like the sound of it but she will still ride it ( when she wants to). I recommend just don’t push your kid to ride to ride ( he’s only 3!). The more your boy see’s your interest in riding, the more he’s probably going to want to ride. Take it in stride, the best way to get him to not want to ride at all is to push him too hard now.

|

6/18/2020 3:57 PM

I don't mean to be critical; just giving you my perspective. 2 yrs old on a PW is super early. yes, there are vids on YouTube of some kids ripping, but for 99.9% of kids; it's too early. Mine started at 4 and that was plenty good. He may not have enjoyed it because it was scary or he just didn't have the moto skills to do fun stuff with it.

I recommend getting him a specialized bicycle (or maybe a Stacyc) and get him going on that. Ride your bicycle with him every day or when he wants to.

And most importantly, let him see the passion you have for it without putting pressure on him. Most boys want to be like their Dad and want to be around their Dad. If he sees you doing it and sees you racing or whatever, he'll come asking. Mine went through a phase and I just told him it was all good....but I kept going riding...even more so. Pretty soon he was begging me to take him.

|

6/18/2020 4:26 PM

My five year old grand son loves to go to the track with grandpa (His asshole dad disappeared when my daughter was diagnosed with lymphoma) but he has no interest in riding,doesn't even like to ride his bicycle. loves working in the garage with me and loves playing MX video games.When we go to the motorcycle shop we look at the minis but he has no interest, If and when he wants to ride I will get a bike for him. Different strokes

|

6/18/2020 4:51 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Stacyc for my kid this week, but not sure where she can ride it. In another thread someone said they aren't allowing electric kid's bikes on the mini tracks. Does anybody know if most tracks are allowing the Stacyc? She says she wants a motorbike, but they are really hard to find right now.
I'm hoping to do some trail riding with her. The Stacyc should be fine on motorized vehicle trails in the National Forest.

|

6/18/2020 4:57 PM

Figure out what type of brain your kid has, most kids just want to ride with other kids who have similar speed, that’s how we started about 4 hrs ago. Took him to the lame Jordan River track about 30 times for two summers, then he got fast and wanted to race. We’ve been racing everything in Utah/Idaho and mesquite since, it’s huge commitment, but it’s what he wants to do, he should have the speed to qualify for LL next year, or not, whatever

|

6/18/2020 4:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2020 4:58 PM

Stacyc will get any kid into moto. I can't keep my daughter off this thing. Just turned 4.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/18/2020 5:00 PM

Disclaimer: Not a parent, nor ever going to be.

That said, I didn't start riding till I was 10. I'm 41 now and have been obsessed with bikes for 31 years. What made it fun for me was having a buddy that was into it also. Riding + friend = awesome time.

|

6/18/2020 5:12 PM

jamiechapman418 wrote:

Need some advice from dads out there. I have a three year old who has very little interest in riding. I had bought him a new pw50 when he was 1 and by 2 he was able to ride independently with training wheels on and dad just watching from a distance. Then interest fell off. No wreck or anything just didn't want to ride. Bike sat in the garage and collected dust for 6 months before we decided to sell. Now he is getting close to 4 and I would love to have him give it a shot again. Should I be trying something like a Stacyc? He can do a Strider bike but not pedaling on his own yet. Try another dirt bike? Give up and just let him play legos like he wants haha!

I'd start spanking him immediately then duct tape him to the scooter. It's for his own good.

|

6/18/2020 5:15 PM

jamiechapman418 wrote:

BobbyM wrote:

I'd start spanking him immediately then duct tape him to the scooter. It's for his own good.

Classic Bobby M

|

6/18/2020 5:31 PM

danzig138 wrote:

Stacyc will get any kid into moto. I can't keep my daughter off this thing. Just turned 4.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

That's awesome. My daughter is almost 6 and is crazy about moto. Are there scenarios where you ride along with her on a big bike?

|

6/18/2020 5:53 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

That's awesome. My daughter is almost 6 and is crazy about moto. Are there scenarios where you ride along with her on a big bike?

I ride with her all the time. I have a DRZ400SM supermoto so I can ride along with her in town (Legally) haha.

|

6/18/2020 8:04 PM

I think just getting them the right bike and no pressure. I would recommend one of the Oset's. Way more robust than a stacyc and probably better resale value too. My kiddo has always been around it so he loves it. He started on an Oset 12.5 at 18 months and he got a PW for his 3rd birthday. Hes just over 3.5 and wants to ride every weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBb0y1bAVzo/?igshid=1l3l511hi9n0u

Photo

|

6/18/2020 9:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2020 9:53 PM

From my experience, I was the first one in my family to discover moto after watching motocross on my neighbors tv. I was one of those so called "newcomer" fans Ralph is always trying to appeal to. Never really thought about riding a bike until I saw my neighbor with his little pw80, I followed all the races on tv, so I said hey why not give it a try. The second I touched that bike I became obssesed and begged my parents to ride. Eventually I got a few riding lessons and after a year I picked up a used Kx85 at the age of 13. I'm 15 now and gonna move to a 125 soon and love riding, but that's just my 2 cents how I got into riding after only watching it on tv.

|

6/18/2020 11:15 PM

jamiechapman418 wrote:

Wait...you mean you don't already have your 3yo on a regimented training schedule poised to be the next big thing in moto? Wow talk about some bad parenting....

|

6/19/2020 12:29 AM

Give the little guy a chance to build some confidence on a bike first. I HIGHLY recommend starting your kid with BMX racing and only introduce the PW until after they've matured a bit to handle a motorcycle. I bought my kid a PW when he was 3 and waited until he has almost 6 before he was ready. You'll know when they're ready and physical skill and coordination is only a small part of it.
Don't rush it, enjoy BMX for a while. Hopefully, you'll have 15+ years or more of moto time together ahead of you.
Good luck

|