Getting kicked out of supercross?!

AmandaWoods
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2012 2:34pm
Supercross.com is talking about it all...

Episode 2- "The making of..." is up!
http://supercross.com/the-making-of-episode-2/

*Tried to embed it on the forum, but i'm having difficulty. Maybe someone can help...
|
MXFAN86
10/9/2012 9:49am
This is awesome. Makes you respect the site a bit more. lookin fwd to the next episode.
RbR
10/9/2012 10:42am
Looking forward to the next installment ...

The Shop

stillwelding
10/9/2012 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2012 3:09pm
Wonder who offered two tickets to the races and a t-shirt, for the Supercross.com domain name? Although I will say, that I remember that Supercross.com sure seemed to be all for Luongo taking over the Nationals at one time.
jeffro503
10/9/2012 3:15pm
So Amanda.....does Lex and Ricky both still own SX.com? Or did Ricky get out of it all together? And what about you....are you part owner now as well? I didn't know who Lex was until these videos , but I had known about Ricky owning part of it. Kind of an interesting story.

On a side note : it's funny how those other organizations wanted the "Supercross.com" Domain......but it didn't sound like any of them were willing to pay Lex what it was worth. Lex made it sound like the other guys wanted him to just hand it over I guess? Sure would like to know who some of those potential buyers were. I bet some of the names behind the scenes are pretty well known today in the promotional stance.
varagon
10/9/2012 3:55pm
Hundreds of thousands invested? Sounds like these moto sites are big business. What kind of revenue doeas a site like supercross.com see per year? VitalMX?
10/9/2012 4:47pm
wow awesome vid!

on a side note, does any one know what happened to SX.com community?
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/9/2012 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2012 5:31pm
So you guys have made a site that, to an unsuspecting fan, could easily be mistaken to be the official site of supercross, offering tickets at inflated prices on more than one page.

Then you come spam Vital to generate traffic for the site, since it obviously doesn't generate very much on its own.

So when is the episode about ethical business practices?
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
10/9/2012 6:16pm
They speak the truth. We were all (Lex was a Whip It! 'correspondent' and vendor long before sx.com came to be), at first, welcomed with open arms. Full credentials. Then, suddenly, without warning, barred at the door like we had the bird flu. Turns out Cyclenews was a paying Pace sponsor and they were a little slow to get with the internet program and freaked out. And then they reacted the same way a lot of dinosaurs do. And shit flows downhill. Do I understand why they felt threatened? Yep. Agree with the strategy? Nope. Wasn't rational. It was doomed to fail. We just started doing what they describe in the vid. Buy tickets, dial the digits on the cellphone during the race to the 'editor', who then posted up the action. We had people (fans, basically) from coast to coast calling in every saturday night. Lex was one of them a couple of seasons before supercross.com got rolling.

Bruhn basically took that same concept, combined it with his position that let him fly anywhere for free (boosted by being single and untethered) and that's where TFS and MotoNews, etc, burst from. And leveraged it up.

It sounds crude in this day of instant social media. But it was revolutionary when the only source of race action info came days or weeks after the event.

Good on them all.
flarider
10/9/2012 7:58pm
They speak the truth. We were all (Lex was a Whip It! 'correspondent' and vendor long before sx.com came to be), at first, welcomed with open...
They speak the truth. We were all (Lex was a Whip It! 'correspondent' and vendor long before sx.com came to be), at first, welcomed with open arms. Full credentials. Then, suddenly, without warning, barred at the door like we had the bird flu. Turns out Cyclenews was a paying Pace sponsor and they were a little slow to get with the internet program and freaked out. And then they reacted the same way a lot of dinosaurs do. And shit flows downhill. Do I understand why they felt threatened? Yep. Agree with the strategy? Nope. Wasn't rational. It was doomed to fail. We just started doing what they describe in the vid. Buy tickets, dial the digits on the cellphone during the race to the 'editor', who then posted up the action. We had people (fans, basically) from coast to coast calling in every saturday night. Lex was one of them a couple of seasons before supercross.com got rolling.

Bruhn basically took that same concept, combined it with his position that let him fly anywhere for free (boosted by being single and untethered) and that's where TFS and MotoNews, etc, burst from. And leveraged it up.

It sounds crude in this day of instant social media. But it was revolutionary when the only source of race action info came days or weeks after the event.

Good on them all.
I will always credit you and Mikeeep for pioneering true "live action" reports, with the phone in the stadium calling someone to type it out, which was later "adopted" by CN as the "Virtual Grandstand."
You guys were way ahead of the curve and caught a ton of shit for it, wrongly.
Pioneers made out to be the enemy.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
10/9/2012 8:50pm
flarider wrote:
I will always credit you and Mikeeep for pioneering true "live action" reports, with the phone in the stadium calling someone to type it out, which...
I will always credit you and Mikeeep for pioneering true "live action" reports, with the phone in the stadium calling someone to type it out, which was later "adopted" by CN as the "Virtual Grandstand."
You guys were way ahead of the curve and caught a ton of shit for it, wrongly.
Pioneers made out to be the enemy.
The true story of progress is never as gilded and glamorous as the story that ultimately is told later. Thanks, Dave.
JB 19
10/9/2012 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2012 10:23pm
The old Virtual Grandstand. How many Saturday nights did I sit in front of a computer for that. ..........and the old live chat on motocross.com . Chatting with buddies on ICQ ..........Good times ....... :-)
AmandaWoods
10/12/2012 11:46am
jeffro503 wrote:
So Amanda.....does Lex and Ricky both still own SX.com? Or did Ricky get out of it all together? And what about you....are you part owner now...
So Amanda.....does Lex and Ricky both still own SX.com? Or did Ricky get out of it all together? And what about you....are you part owner now as well? I didn't know who Lex was until these videos , but I had known about Ricky owning part of it. Kind of an interesting story.

On a side note : it's funny how those other organizations wanted the "Supercross.com" Domain......but it didn't sound like any of them were willing to pay Lex what it was worth. Lex made it sound like the other guys wanted him to just hand it over I guess? Sure would like to know who some of those potential buyers were. I bet some of the names behind the scenes are pretty well known today in the promotional stance.
Hi Jeff. Thanks for the response.

The site was recently purchased and now has a new owner, who has big ideas for Supercross.com... but you'll learn more about it in the next episode. =) (Cant spill the beans too much)

As for Lex, Ricky and Myself... we are still very much involved and having fun with the new direction. Minus the message board dilemma... (we have a few bummed fans that want it back, so we are working on more changes.) The goal is to make the best site we can for fans. At least for now they have this amazing forum to come to! Love Vital!
426Hemi
Fantasy
2747th
10/12/2012 2:17pm
Vital is much more than a forum.....

BTW, that hat is annoying, not your face though.
AmandaWoods
10/12/2012 2:34pm
426Hemi wrote:
Vital is much more than a forum.....

BTW, that hat is annoying, not your face though.
Yes it is. And you're right that hat is annoying lol

Post a reply to: Getting kicked out of supercross?!

The Latest