Getting back to Moto/riding at 60+?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/8/2020 10:47 AM

Raced/rode Moto starting in the early 80's through 2005 (when the kids were involved in everything and just no time to ride). Kept all my gear (yes a new helmet is in order), and rode a few friends bikes over the years here and there. Always stayed close to my moto friends, went riding last weekend, and the bug bit me! I have to get another bike, am I nuts at 60+? Rode a few of my friends last model (2017-2020) bikes (CRF450, YZ250 2S, CRF250 and my favorite KTM XCF 250), and decided a 450 is a bit much, and the KTM felt pretty nice! With that said at my age/speed the XFC or the Yamaha YZF250X seem like the most logical choice, any other suggestions? Or tell me I am nuts? Thanks!

|

10/8/2020 10:54 AM

Go get it.

Moto is the best thing for you mind and body. You don't age when you are motoing at 60+. Have fun, keep it rubber side down, and enjoy the ride. Never too old to act young.

|

10/8/2020 11:16 AM

Weight, speed? Type of riding?

If your riding pure Moto id get an Mx bike, if some trails mixed in the Xc bikes make sense!

The 250fs are really good as well as the ktm 350s. The 350s are really good to me, they let you just focus on you, they don’t have any excess and they don’t lack anywhere really. Something to consider!

|

10/8/2020 11:18 AM

xracerphx wrote:

Go get it.

Moto is the best thing for you mind and body. You don't age when you are motoing at 60+. Have fun, keep it rubber side down, and enjoy the ride. Never too old to act young.

Absolutely agree with this. I just turned 60, been back to riding since 2008 after a 22 year absence (life gets in the way).
I'm basically being the "moto-dad" to myself now that I never could have had when I was growing up (parents thought it was the most useless possible activity).

I have 3 bikes that I rotate so I always have at least one ready to go. Wear every possible piece of protective gear, and do a lot of foam-rolling after every ride. Having more fun and riding better now than ever! It helps to have resources.

|

10/8/2020 11:21 AM

yz133rider wrote:

If your riding pure Moto id get an Mx bike, if some trails mixed in the Xc bikes make sense!

The 250fs are really good as well as the ktm 350s. The 350s are really good to me, they let you just focus on you, they don’t have any excess and they don’t lack anywhere really. Something to consider!

I would say 75% moto, 25% woods. I had an offer to ride a Husky 350, but I already a few too many laps in me already and thought it was best to hold off.

|

10/8/2020 11:25 AM

Of course you're nuts. But, so what? Get a bike!

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/8/2020 11:36 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I’d get the 350.

My Baja bike has been a 350 for the last 5 years. It does everything with ease.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/8/2020 11:40 AM

Do it.

|

10/8/2020 12:02 PM

Took a 34 year complete absence from riding any kind of motorcycle. Raced fanatically from 74-80. Got my Pro card in 77, got balled up pretty good a couple of times and finally hung it up in 1980 . Met my wife to be that summer and didn't swing a leg over a bike until 2015 . Crazy ? probably. A couple of my old racing buddies died within months of each other ( heart attacks, cancer,etc) so me and my closest ex pro racing/travelling buddy decided we better have some fun before its too late, and start buying and building bikes. Been riding and racing since. Even this year with Covid19 messing up schedules this weekend will be our 10th race of the season. I did 16 (?) last year. So my advice is DO IT !! Although I race mainly Vintage MX / X-Country , I have a couple of modern bikes too, one being a YZ250X that is just about the perfect bike for us 60+ dudes ,I have a 12oz Steahly on it, Rekluse set up and its a killer woods bike that you can still get around nicely on a pure Moto track. . Understand I come from the 2-strokes only era ,so I don't have much time or interest in the 4 stroke stuff.

As I write this, I turned 61 today !!

In summary--- buy whatever you like, but if you have any money left over ,build and race a Vintage bike, you'll thank me. That is truly more fun now than it was back in the day !!

|

10/8/2020 12:05 PM

Happy Birthday OldPro!

|

if you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

10/8/2020 12:07 PM

OldPro277 wrote:

Took a 34 year complete absence from riding any kind of motorcycle. Raced fanatically from 74-80. Got my Pro card in 77, got balled up pretty good a couple of times and finally hung it up in 1980 . Met my wife to be that summer and didn't swing a leg over a bike until 2015 . Crazy ? probably. A couple of my old racing buddies died within months of each other ( heart attacks, cancer,etc) so me and my closest ex pro racing/travelling buddy decided we better have some fun before its too late, and start buying and building bikes. Been riding and racing since. Even this year with Covid19 messing up schedules this weekend will be our 10th race of the season. I did 16 (?) last year. So my advice is DO IT !! Although I race mainly Vintage MX / X-Country , I have a couple of modern bikes too, one being a YZ250X that is just about the perfect bike for us 60+ dudes ,I have a 12oz Steahly on it, Rekluse set up and its a killer woods bike that you can still get around nicely on a pure Moto track. . Understand I come from the 2-strokes only era ,so I don't have much time or interest in the 4 stroke stuff.

As I write this, I turned 61 today !!

In summary--- buy whatever you like, but if you have any money left over ,build and race a Vintage bike, you'll thank me. That is truly more fun now than it was back in the day !!

Happy Birthday

|

10/8/2020 12:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2020 12:14 PM

Thanks Sleeve and neverwas--- hard to believe I made it this far,lol

|

10/8/2020 12:22 PM

Still riding and racing at most of the Millville Super Series races at 62.

Still a dozen or more older than me each week, some in their 70's
Photo

|

10/8/2020 12:26 PM

Do it while your body and mind still can. I'm going strong at 53. There was a guy racing MMX recently near where I live, I believe he is 78 years old. It will keep you young.

|

10/8/2020 12:33 PM

First of all you're never too old. I'm 50...about to be 51, and my wife not only supports me but urges me to ride. Why - because as she always tells me, life is short and when it's over, it's over. So you better enjoy it. Go ride and enjoy it. Also, here in TX we have a MotoMaster series. It's a Vet series. Last one I hit a month or so ago I believe had 15 entries in the 60+ class. You should see some of the 55+ guys that can still kick most kids asses out there!

|

10/8/2020 12:38 PM

My dad just started riding again at 64, had some bad ankle injuries so sold his last bike in 2008. Bought a leftover wr450 and having a blast! Why not, we only get one go round might as well cram as much fun in as possible. Nobody ever made it to 90 and wished they’d spent less time riding. Good luck and have fun 👍🏼

|

10/8/2020 12:47 PM

mxrider641 wrote:

Raced/rode Moto starting in the early 80's through 2005 (when the kids were involved in everything and just no time to ride). Kept all my gear (yes a new helmet is in order), and rode a few friends bikes over the years here and there. Always stayed close to my moto friends, went riding last weekend, and the bug bit me! I have to get another bike, am I nuts at 60+? Rode a few of my friends last model (2017-2020) bikes (CRF450, YZ250 2S, CRF250 and my favorite KTM XCF 250), and decided a 450 is a bit much, and the KTM felt pretty nice! With that said at my age/speed the XFC or the Yamaha YZF250X seem like the most logical choice, any other suggestions? Or tell me I am nuts? Thanks!

Still racing riding at age 65...{Or tell me I am nuts} no you are not nuts go for IT, just Remember you are old and when you crash it hurts lol

|

10/8/2020 12:58 PM

36 Entries in the 60+ at the Red Bud vet race this year. Biggest 60+ I have been in so far. We also had 40 riders in the 55+. Numbers were really up this year.

|

10/8/2020 12:59 PM

We have the Over The Hill Gang out here and Old Timers MX and they're super nice groups of supportive folks that make stuff like this nothing but fun. I'd definitely go for it if you have something like that out there.

All dirt bikers are nuts, fwiw. It's also really good for your brain to engage in an activity that essentially forces you, with your own safety, to make a hundred calculations per second. You can't get that type of exercise with very many activities.

|

10/8/2020 1:01 PM

If your health is good, go for it!
If you have any sort of cardiovascular or respiratory problems, probably better stay away...
I'd take a full medical check-up before deciding.

|

10/8/2020 2:05 PM

Here’s my dad at 73. Photo
Photo
Photo

|

10/8/2020 3:17 PM

Riding and catching air, a lot of air at 73, my hero!!!

|

10/8/2020 3:30 PM

Photo
Nu dad at age77, je is nog 83, still riding and planning to trade the freeride or a 250 2 stroke.
|

10/8/2020 3:40 PM

Go for it while you can!!! You can't back.

Be smart and ride yourself into shape and comfort level. don't shit you are not comfortable with....getting hurt is a huge setback 61 here and still ride 1-2 times a week with son, grandkids and buds.

|

10/8/2020 3:46 PM

Protective gear, Voltaran and the right attitude.

|

10/8/2020 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2020 5:01 PM

Why not this guys 85. Yes he runs his age for his number Photo

|

10/8/2020 5:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2020 5:12 PM

It can be done. You can have fun. You're not 20 or 30 anymore. You'll go slower, but the good feeling is still the same. You'll recover slower which will be frustrating. You'll still have fun. Unless you try to be 20 again. We do less moto/jumps and more off road.

How do I say this so assuredly? I'm 66 and my lifelong riding buddy is 60. After 50+ years of dirt bikes we both still ride. We raced a 3 hour team hare scrambles two weeks ago. We won the Vet60 class and had a blast doing it. We finished 9th overall out of 41 teams.

Be careful. Be willing to compromise here and there and you'll do great.

Photo

|

10/8/2020 5:10 PM

cable wrote:

Here’s my dad at 73. Photo
Photo
Photo

Your dad is a bad ass!

|

10/8/2020 5:17 PM

I’m 60 and still weekend warrior some.

I would recommend a bike that is a little more versatile than just moto, like an XC-F, or RX

|

In my 60’s and still loving dirt scoots up here in the frozen north.

2021 Husky 501s

10/8/2020 6:56 PM

I'll be 62 next month and consider myself a Super Fan of anything moto after riding and racing in the '70's and '80's.

However... There is a time in any athletes life when you must "walk away". As we age typically we become fragile, and at our age we are one crash away from being forced to quit. You maybe the exception, but are probably the norm.

I have an e-bike that I put in about 1000 miles per month, I listen to music and podcasts while riding and absolutely love it with minimal risk. That's my 2 cents

|

My favorite rider is K.C Carlyle