Getting back into it advice

portroyal
Hey guys, recently decided to start riding moto again after 6 years not racing, 2 not riding a dirt bike at all, although I have put 35k on my Harley this past year, so I've at least been on a bike.

I used to race a 450 in c class, and a few b class races, I bought an 01 yz250 to build, which is almost done. Never owned a 2-stroke before but I know my way around bikes on the mechanic side of things. I've ridden a 125 a handful of times, but I'm looking for some advice;

Before I start racing again (27yrs old now), what are some of your suggestions to practice out in the desert to prep for the track, getting used to a two-stroke, what has changed since 2012 that is important, and would I be able to compete heavily on a 2-stroke against the new technology 4-strokes?
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/20/2017 3:37pm
What's your name? Wonder if we raced together in 450c at all.

As far as competing heavily on the 2 stroke vs the 4 strokes, the yz250 motor really hasn't changed a whole lot since 2001. A good enough of a rider can compete on it just fine, especially if you ride the +25 class. Remember to carry as much momentum as possible and try not to lug it like a 450. Oh and no engine braking!!! You'll learn more about how to ride the bike the more you ride it. Just go ride it and enjoy!
Rockinar
12/20/2017 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 4:00pm
I love how these younger kids think you need the new $12K Husqvarna FE450 to compete. I guess it's the factories constant droning about fuel injection, maps, traction control, and how you need the latest/greatest gizmos to compete. Fact is, you need none of it. In the pros? Yes. Amateurs? No.

If these new 450s are so great, why did these guys get dusted by an old ass CR125? He even beat most on the 1st turn. It's 90% rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GK5lCyoIA8
Forty
12/20/2017 4:16pm
Rockinar wrote:
I love how these younger kids think you need the new $12K Husqvarna FE450 to compete. I guess it's the factories constant droning about fuel injection...
I love how these younger kids think you need the new $12K Husqvarna FE450 to compete. I guess it's the factories constant droning about fuel injection, maps, traction control, and how you need the latest/greatest gizmos to compete. Fact is, you need none of it. In the pros? Yes. Amateurs? No.

If these new 450s are so great, why did these guys get dusted by an old ass CR125? He even beat most on the 1st turn. It's 90% rider.

Aztec....man that brings back some memories....
Rockinar
12/20/2017 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 6:23pm
And here's one of my favorites. Old dudes on 30+ year old bikes with drum brakes that will whip 80% of the people out there. No holeshot devices, maps, 2018 Factory Edition bikes.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUHHhE75ke0

And Jerry Robin on the old YZ250 flat out whipping a field of 4 strokes. All that traction control, maps and electronics they have and he's passing them like their brakes locked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tStHH3VvxuI&t=58s

The Shop

Taylor415
12/20/2017 8:17pm
Saddle time. I get wanting to race again, but put some time on the bike. A 250 two stroke will be fine. In the hands of the right person so will a 125. Have fun!
pete24
12/21/2017 6:09am
just remember to run 927 and youll be fine
potatoflake
12/21/2017 7:31am
I’m getting back into racing this next season on a 2001 yz 250 as well! The two most important things will likely be getting seat time to get used to that 2 stroke and stamina. Get a work out routine going as well as plenty of seat time before you line up and you will be fine.

Get out there and put the hurt on them new bikes!

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/21/2017 7:35am
Take things slow and work your way back into shape and confidence. Hopefully we get some good rain this winter so you can spend time in the desert and on trails before going ful time on the track. Get comfortable on the bike and get the bike set up well for you.
Acidreamer
12/21/2017 7:44am
Turn your brain off and go do it is the best method
Shawn142
12/21/2017 8:14am
Rockinar wrote:
I love how these younger kids think you need the new $12K Husqvarna FE450 to compete. I guess it's the factories constant droning about fuel injection...

What younger kids are you referring to? It sounds like you're mostly talking to yourself just to mention 2-strokes. I haven't seen anyone here claim buying a certain bike will make you competitive against people who would otherwise beat you.
Acidreamer
12/21/2017 8:19am
Rockinar wrote:

Shawn142 wrote:
What younger kids are you referring to? It sounds like you're mostly talking to yourself just to mention 2-strokes. I haven't seen anyone here claim buying...
What younger kids are you referring to? It sounds like you're mostly talking to yourself just to mention 2-strokes. I haven't seen anyone here claim buying a certain bike will make you competitive against people who would otherwise beat you.
Hes got some personal problems to work out apparently
Rockinar
12/21/2017 10:01am
Shawn142 wrote:
What younger kids are you referring to? It sounds like you're mostly talking to yourself just to mention 2-strokes. I haven't seen anyone here claim buying...
Im referring to the weekly posts in here by younger kids who say they want to race or get back into it but unsure because they have been brainwashed by the industry to believe 4 strokes will make you faster. Almost weekly there the "Can I be compeitive on a 2 stroke?" question.

Case in point..

Here you have Motocross Action Magazine calling the 2018 YZ250 a 13 year old POS. They say its "just not competitive" and "only good for a practice bike". Ouch. Not confidence inspiring for YZ owners.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=81s&v=a0Ouxgq3Cs0

Then heres Jerry mopping up a field on the exact bike. Ouch again. Motocross Action Magazine did not return our calls for a comment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tStHH3VvxuI

FWYT
12/21/2017 10:24am
Get your diet on track and get your fitness going with a consistent program (if it's not already).
Nothing crazy or fanatical; just put in your time.

Now would be a really good time to take a lesson or two working on the basics.
You can develop good habits and technique more easily kinda coming in as
a semi-blank slate.

Hit some trails, just have a shitload of fun and remember why we all got into it in the first place.

Ride safe!!
portroyal
12/21/2017 10:27am
FWYT wrote:
Get your diet on track and get your fitness going with a consistent program (if it's not already). Nothing crazy or fanatical; just put in your...
Get your diet on track and get your fitness going with a consistent program (if it's not already).
Nothing crazy or fanatical; just put in your time.

Now would be a really good time to take a lesson or two working on the basics.
You can develop good habits and technique more easily kinda coming in as
a semi-blank slate.

Hit some trails, just have a shitload of fun and remember why we all got into it in the first place.

Ride safe!!
Definitely, luckily I've been a fitness nut since I was 18 so I have the physical foundation solid.

Probably going to take it out to the desert a few times before I even hit the tracks again.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
12/21/2017 10:42am
stretch, stretch and stretch. You will be less sore and much less likely to get hurt in a crash. Have fun man!

Post a reply to: Getting back into it advice

The Latest