Getting back into dirt bikes - YZ250X or Yz250fx

roadglide72
Edited Date/Time 5/28/2020 11:49am
So as the title says im getting back into dirt bikes after riding only road bikes the last 12 years. Currently in mass but moving to Phoenix. I want a do it all bike. Single track, mx track (probably only vet track), Technical rocky stuff, whatever adventure i see and decide to tackle basically! Ill probably only get out once a week or so realistically

Yz250x Pros are : Should be plenty of power across the rev range

Lighter

Easier to work on, less tech to potentially go wrong, top ends [never done a bottom end] are
very easy and cheap

Can save a bit of money

Yz250fx Pros are : More advanced

Can tune from an app or the Yamaha tuner

more fuel efficient

Assuming valves are no longer really an issue, should be less wrenching

*One con is more expensive, given i wont be riding a lot every week, this may be a factor.

P.S im picking Yamaha because im comfortable with them. if after reading this you think i should look into a different bike, suggestions are welcome!

Poll

these are my options

Choices
|
5/12/2020 8:27pm
Buy a YZ250 and tailor it to how you see fit. Put the heavier flywheel on it and go to town. You'll be fine either way.
YZ-MTB
5/12/2020 8:52pm
Probably can't go wrong with either so I would pick whatever fits your budget and the one you can get a better deal on. I was facing the exact same question getting back into the sport after LONG time away and was looking at those 2 bikes.

A couple weeks back I found a good deal on a 2019 yz250x with about 5 hours on it. I love the x so far. Well, only 2 rides on it and blew out my knee and have been on crutches for a week, but don't really want to talk about that.

Theoretically, the x should be better in slow technical terrain compared to the FX (4 strokes more likely to stall) so that may be a consideration if that is the riding you are after. On the flip side the FX has electric start, so getting going again is easier if you stall on a side hill where you can't easily kick start. 4 stroke also supposed to be easier to ride on the mx track.

One more pro for the 2 stroke is that it will hold its resale value better than the 4 stroke.
tobz
5/12/2020 9:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2020 9:36pm
As someone who’s just gone from a yz250x to a ‘20 WR250f, the 2 stroke was fun while the honeymoon period was there. But I quickly got sick of jetting, premixing, the skiddish feel of a 2 stroke, Arm pump and longevity issues of being able to ride it all day.

The 4 stroke, I can ride it all day, it feels planted and doesn’t do anything unexpected. It’s no fuss, literally put fuel in it and ride. I don’t get to ride much at all, so when I do, I just want to start it and go, it’s smooth on the odd dirt ride between trails and not have to override the thing to get the best out of it.

That’s my 2c. 2 strokes, while fun for a blast, aren’t all they’re cracked up to be when they’re your full time steed.
mhog
5/13/2020 8:44am
It’s hard to go wrong with either one. IMHO, 2 strokes are more fun, but harder to ride overall compared to the modern day 4 strokes. I went from a Yz250 setup for woods (i’ve own several since 2006) to a 2017 yz250fx, and I have to say, it’s so much easier to ride than the yz250. I rode a friend’s 2020 yz250fx and it’s a huge upgrade over my 2017 in power and weight feel (and my 2017 has a high compression piston).

There are ton of parts for yz250’s and it’s still hard to beat the chassis/suspension setup. It also depends on what type of riding you will be doing as well.

It’s like picking between 2 women, blonde or brunette - all about preference. 😀

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/13/2020 8:49am
I'm a 2-stroke guy and have owned a YZ250 for 14 years. (Same bike! It's bulletproof!)
So, I vote for the YZ250X.
RACERX69
5/13/2020 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2020 6:09am
My son had an 18 250X that I spent quite a bit of time on. I’ve ridden it in the Central Tx Hill Country, the Colorado Rockies and also occasionally on an MX track. Although I can’t comment on the 250FX as I’ve never ridden one, but as for the X, it’s an amazing bike. Super light feeling, amazing handling, great suspension, reliable and fun as hell to ride. If you have any modicum of skill or experience riding 2-strokes, you’ll love the bike. I didn’t find it tiring at all. In fact, quite the opposite because it’s so light. It does have the pipey, free reving characteristics of a 250 2-stroke, but not quite to the extent of the MX version. The beauty of the X is that you can ride it on the pipe,
or ride a gear high and lug it. Has the power and torque to do both. Can also ride tight techy steep stuff(like you’ll find in PHX) and not have the stalling issues you’d most likely experience with the FX. I did throw on a 13 tooth front sprocket for our Colorado trips. Made some of the super high elevation, slow steep trails a little easier.

I did find the jetting to be a little finicky initially, but after having the squish set correctly, it was a breeze. I’m super anal regarding jetting and know what a properly jetted 2-stroke sounds and runs like. Most people would probably be just fine with the factory jetting and think nothing of it. I’m not one of those folks. Also, an electric start would be nice. Other than those few items, the X is pretty tough to beat.

I say get the X, mostly for the fun, but also the simplicity and reliability. Would be a great bike for the PHX area.
CSAR FE
5/13/2020 12:29pm
So as the title says im getting back into dirt bikes after riding only road bikes the last 12 years. Currently in mass but moving to...
So as the title says im getting back into dirt bikes after riding only road bikes the last 12 years. Currently in mass but moving to Phoenix. I want a do it all bike. Single track, mx track (probably only vet track), Technical rocky stuff, whatever adventure i see and decide to tackle basically! Ill probably only get out once a week or so realistically

Yz250x Pros are : Should be plenty of power across the rev range

Lighter

Easier to work on, less tech to potentially go wrong, top ends [never done a bottom end] are
very easy and cheap

Can save a bit of money

Yz250fx Pros are : More advanced

Can tune from an app or the Yamaha tuner

more fuel efficient

Assuming valves are no longer really an issue, should be less wrenching

*One con is more expensive, given i wont be riding a lot every week, this may be a factor.

P.S im picking Yamaha because im comfortable with them. if after reading this you think i should look into a different bike, suggestions are welcome!

I’m down in the Tucson area. The terrain is more suited for a 2 stroke in my opinion. Technical, slow Rocky areas on a four stroke can suck, but it’s definitely doable.

If you get the FX, you’re going to want a radiator fan. It gets wicked hot in AZ and you will boil over in the slower trails if you don’t have one. Two strokes run a lot cooler than a four stroke.

That being said, if you will be riding the track more than trails, I’d probably go with the 4 stroke. If you’re doing primarily trails, I’d go with the YZ250X. I sold my TX300 when I moved here a little over a year ago and I regret it. Just my opinion.
PTshox
5/13/2020 12:35pm
I have a 2 stroke 250 for sale... to purchase a YZ250FX. I like the power of the modern 4 strokes so much better. It's for trails and if I'm spending 4+ hrs in the saddle I want the electric start and the 4 stroke power delivery. Also, that YZ250FX (and the F model too) have a super planted feel on the front end. Very stable. Vs the 2 strokes that can jump around on you a LOT...
g taylor
5/13/2020 1:16pm
250FX hands down. I have a '16 with 100 hours on it. I am 200 lbs, off road A-B rider, desert and woods single track, I don't ride much moto. I just changed the chain and sprockets. Routine oil changes (I am not a maintenance maniac) and a clean air filter every ride. No other real maintenance and no issues whatsoever. I transitioned to a TPI and I am happy with the bike but would have no problem going back. I handed the FX down to my 15 year old son who is a beginner and he has elevated his riding tremendously on it. I rode it a couple of weeks ago and was blown away at the torque/grunt it has. However, the weight is noticeable throwing it on the stand and such. The FX is an awesome steed.
roadglide72
5/13/2020 1:39pm
Thanks everyone for the help so far! The poll is leaning heavy towards the 2 stroke but the comments are a little more mixed! I do like the electric start for the 4 stroke, but its not a deal breaker. as far as the 2 strokes power delivery, x seems to be far less twichy than the mx bike
5/13/2020 2:25pm
This is a bit like trying to fit a pair of shoes via a poll.

They are both excellent bikes, but each suits a different rider and owner type. I think you need to ride both and find which fits you.
chump6784
5/13/2020 2:27pm
I'm a 2 stroke guy, I like my yz250 with 9oz flywheel weight much more than a KTM 350exc-f that I ride on the trails. The yz has a light snappy feeling, the 4 stroke doesn't. With a fww the yz lugs a lot better than usual and I'm sure the X is even better than the mx model.

It's been a long time since I've ridden a 250f on a track but even back then it put down fast lap times consistently and they've only gotten faster since then. I still prefer my 2 stroke though.

You won't go wrong with either one, just depends if your a 2 or 4 stroke guy
jleews6
5/14/2020 5:06am
I just got back on a bike after almost 40 years (i'm probably allot older than you ) but I cant ride 2 stroke anymore. The 4 stroke to me is just so much easier to ride and the smoother power is a big help. I ended up with a CRF250RX and I love it.
mxmaniac
5/14/2020 5:19am
I have ridden both and both are great bikes. I found the 2 stroke worked better the harder it was pushed, I fatigued quicker on the 2 stroke. I am a 2 stroke lover but as an overall package I liked the 4 stroke better. Yamaha are building brilliant 250f bikes and I liked the torque of that engine a lot.
5/15/2020 5:08pm
Have you thought about yz125x? personally 125s are my favorite bike and are easiest and cheapest to work on.
5/15/2020 5:45pm
mxmaniac wrote:
I have ridden both and both are great bikes. I found the 2 stroke worked better the harder it was pushed, I fatigued quicker on the...
I have ridden both and both are great bikes. I found the 2 stroke worked better the harder it was pushed, I fatigued quicker on the 2 stroke. I am a 2 stroke lover but as an overall package I liked the 4 stroke better. Yamaha are building brilliant 250f bikes and I liked the torque of that engine a lot.
So true, fatigue sets in earlier and that when trouble can start for a rider that is not as fit as we all should be.

One day my next bike will be the YZ250FX.
roadglide72
5/22/2020 7:09pm
Update, after searching my local dealers it seems theyre fresh out of yz250fx's and i even tried looking for crf250rx's.. nothing. I may have found a yz250f, but i dont know if thatd be good for the type of riding i do. i may however have a lead on a yz250x
RACERX69
5/22/2020 7:28pm
Update, after searching my local dealers it seems theyre fresh out of yz250fx's and i even tried looking for crf250rx's.. nothing. I may have found a...
Update, after searching my local dealers it seems theyre fresh out of yz250fx's and i even tried looking for crf250rx's.. nothing. I may have found a yz250f, but i dont know if thatd be good for the type of riding i do. i may however have a lead on a yz250x
Don't get the 250F. You'll be sorry.

Get the 250X! You'll love the bike.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
5/22/2020 8:41pm
Update, after searching my local dealers it seems theyre fresh out of yz250fx's and i even tried looking for crf250rx's.. nothing. I may have found a...
You should be able to find the Honda. I have seen a couple in Indianapolis and the Honda warehouse probably has them too. You have to ride the Honda a little like a 125 but the 2020 is supposed to have more grunt than my 2019. The FX is pretty popular. I haven’t seen any 2020 at a dealer that didn’t sell in less than a week. Personally I won’t own one for trails because the front intake can suck water. To me the yz 2 strokes have a better air box design for wet trails. You might keep your eyes open for a 250 (2t or 4t) husky/ktm. I have seen a few leftover 2019s with pricing similar to the 250fx.
Tuna
5/23/2020 4:11am
RACERX69 wrote:

Why would he be sorry?
RACERX69
5/23/2020 6:04am
RACERX69 wrote:

Tuna wrote:
Why would he be sorry?
Tuna,

Ever ridden the trails around the Phoenix area(where OP says he'll be riding)? They can be extremely nasty, rocky and technical. A straight 250F is not set up or designed for that type of riding. It's set up for MX and would be one of the worst bikes to ride the trails around Phoenix. Stalling, overheating, clutch abuse, etc all come to mind. Can it be done? Sure, but a 250 X of FX, (especially the X) would make it much easier and much more fun. The 250X and FX are much better MX bikes than the 250F is a technical single track slayer.
KX500
5/23/2020 6:43am
Bought my YZ250X last fall. Only got to ride it once before winter and then not again until this week.

But, I was honestly shocked at how good it is. Suspension set-up, power, low end grunt - just plain awesome. It is simply the most user friendly and least tiring to ride bike, that I've ever been on.

The loop I ride the most is 9-10 miles & has lots of rocks (many soft ball to football sized) and a few rock slabs in the trail - the technical rocky 1st gear stuff. I used to dread these sections as it's always so easy to stall it and crash - rock slabs are always slick with no traction. And of course the 1st time through, I did make some mistakes bad enough that the bike couldn't save me from. But after realizing what not to do in these sections, the rest of the time through was very good.

There were a couple times going up a slow 1st gear hills, I'd hit a rock/root/rut just the wrong way, have to totally let off the gas to regain balance/control. Normally a stall out, kill it, restart & try again. But this bike is the most stall proof thing I've ever seen. It never died once in those situations - I could literally crawl up these hills at incredibly low rpms.

I've been watching some of the Hard Enduro racing on YouTube. Some of the stuff these guys do is pretty amazing. And I couldn't help but wonder some about their bike setup.

But then after experiencing what even I can do on a YZ250X in some technical rocky sections, some of what I see in the hard enduro series, made a lot more sense.

And I'm pretty sure for this type of riding, 2 strokes rule due to lower weight and that forgiving almost stall proof 1st gear low end power.

I've yet to spot a 4-stoke in the Hard Enduro series or a Japanese bike for that matter.

I did add a flywheel weight (12 ounce) to my YZ.

Over the last several years I've ridden a couple MX 250s (2T) and a couple MX 450s (4T) on these trails & I'm so glad to have this YZ.

So, yes buy the YZ250X and check out the Hard Enduro series on Youtube.

KX500
5/23/2020 7:00am
Oh, & as I mentioned, I was off the bike from September to May.

The 1st 10 mile loop the other day had my hands screaming - What Are You doing? Not used to holding on to handlebars like that.

Took a short break, gassed up.

And then did that loop 3 times in a row and was ready for a 4th, but realized I was running out of time to ride that day.

I never had that situation riding any MX bike on these trails.
YZ-MTB
5/23/2020 7:09am
KX500 wrote:
Bought my YZ250X last fall. Only got to ride it once before winter and then not again until this week. But, I was honestly shocked at...
Bought my YZ250X last fall. Only got to ride it once before winter and then not again until this week.

But, I was honestly shocked at how good it is. Suspension set-up, power, low end grunt - just plain awesome. It is simply the most user friendly and least tiring to ride bike, that I've ever been on.

The loop I ride the most is 9-10 miles & has lots of rocks (many soft ball to football sized) and a few rock slabs in the trail - the technical rocky 1st gear stuff. I used to dread these sections as it's always so easy to stall it and crash - rock slabs are always slick with no traction. And of course the 1st time through, I did make some mistakes bad enough that the bike couldn't save me from. But after realizing what not to do in these sections, the rest of the time through was very good.

There were a couple times going up a slow 1st gear hills, I'd hit a rock/root/rut just the wrong way, have to totally let off the gas to regain balance/control. Normally a stall out, kill it, restart & try again. But this bike is the most stall proof thing I've ever seen. It never died once in those situations - I could literally crawl up these hills at incredibly low rpms.

I've been watching some of the Hard Enduro racing on YouTube. Some of the stuff these guys do is pretty amazing. And I couldn't help but wonder some about their bike setup.

But then after experiencing what even I can do on a YZ250X in some technical rocky sections, some of what I see in the hard enduro series, made a lot more sense.

And I'm pretty sure for this type of riding, 2 strokes rule due to lower weight and that forgiving almost stall proof 1st gear low end power.

I've yet to spot a 4-stoke in the Hard Enduro series or a Japanese bike for that matter.

I did add a flywheel weight (12 ounce) to my YZ.

Over the last several years I've ridden a couple MX 250s (2T) and a couple MX 450s (4T) on these trails & I'm so glad to have this YZ.

So, yes buy the YZ250X and check out the Hard Enduro series on Youtube.

How much difference did you notice with the 12.oz FWW and which one did you go with? I have been thinking about adding a 13 oz Steahly to my YZ250X.
KX500
5/23/2020 8:28am
Actually I was off by an ounce - the 13 oz Steahly FWW is what I have. Without the FWW, the YZ-X would light up the back tire way too easily - at least to me. The FWW completely took care of that - plenty of power everywhere (for us mortals close to sea level) without unnecessary wheel spin. Very happy with that purchase.

A tip - The FWW did come with a gasket - didn't know it would so I bought one as well, which worked out well.

Steahly says the 13 oz FWW won't rub on the FW cover, but I could tell mine was going to. Using 2 FW cover gaskets made it to where you can't tell if FW is rubbing. Mine still does just a little, but not enough to matter, so I'd say use 2 gaskets there.
Tuna
5/23/2020 10:56am
RACERX69 wrote:

Tuna wrote:
Why would he be sorry?
RACERX69 wrote:
Tuna, Ever ridden the trails around the Phoenix area(where OP says he'll be riding)? They can be extremely nasty, rocky and technical. A straight 250F is...
Tuna,

Ever ridden the trails around the Phoenix area(where OP says he'll be riding)? They can be extremely nasty, rocky and technical. A straight 250F is not set up or designed for that type of riding. It's set up for MX and would be one of the worst bikes to ride the trails around Phoenix. Stalling, overheating, clutch abuse, etc all come to mind. Can it be done? Sure, but a 250 X of FX, (especially the X) would make it much easier and much more fun. The 250X and FX are much better MX bikes than the 250F is a technical single track slayer.
😂Bro, if you saw the kind of gnar I ride on my 250FX you’d puke. FX is the best all around do it all bike I've ever owned. I had one of the nicest YZ250’s set up for woods in my area as well as a YZ125 I ran as my woods race bikes. Sold both and kept the FX. I ride east coast woods in Atlantic Canada, hard to get much rooty and rocky than that. Think Romaniacs type terrain. No doubt the X is a great bike but the FX is fantastic as well.
YZ-MTB
5/23/2020 10:58am
KX500 wrote:
Actually I was off by an ounce - the 13 oz Steahly FWW is what I have. Without the FWW, the YZ-X would light up the...
Actually I was off by an ounce - the 13 oz Steahly FWW is what I have. Without the FWW, the YZ-X would light up the back tire way too easily - at least to me. The FWW completely took care of that - plenty of power everywhere (for us mortals close to sea level) without unnecessary wheel spin. Very happy with that purchase.

A tip - The FWW did come with a gasket - didn't know it would so I bought one as well, which worked out well.

Steahly says the 13 oz FWW won't rub on the FW cover, but I could tell mine was going to. Using 2 FW cover gaskets made it to where you can't tell if FW is rubbing. Mine still does just a little, but not enough to matter, so I'd say use 2 gaskets there.
Perfect, thanks for the advice. Definitely going to go that route. Will give me something to tinker with while I'm off the bike with injury.
Tuna
5/23/2020 12:11pm
RACERX69 wrote:

Sorry, thought we were talking about the FX. Didn’t realize he was looking at an F.
Motoxdoc
5/23/2020 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2020 12:21pm
IMO if you’re young, want to work on your fundamentals and skills and become a better rider get a two-stroke. If you’re a little lazy, don’t have cat-like relexes and want to have more fun while riding get a four stroke.
I believe four strokes have resurrected a lot of old peoples riding careers.
MZ193
5/23/2020 12:21pm
Never tought about a exc300? Great bike.

Post a reply to: Getting back into dirt bikes - YZ250X or Yz250fx

The Latest