Getting a bike to turn better

8/17/2018 8:09am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 4:20pm
So I have a bit of a dilemma here, I ride an 05 kx125 and had bad headshake problems for awhile even at fairly slow speeds so I combatted that by moving my forks down in the clamps and the issue only resolved when I moved them as far down as I could. Im now alot more comfortable and can go a lot faster through most sections but as you might have guessed Ive sacrificed cornering feel.

So my question is what are some things I can do to make the bike turn better without having to move my forks?
|
lumpy790
8/17/2018 8:15am
1st That KX should not have head shake there is something else wrong.

Pro Circuit made pull rods that made the rear of the bike higher and tightened up the frame front en geometry so the KX’s turned tighter.
8/17/2018 8:36am
lumpy790 wrote:
1st That KX should not have head shake there is something else wrong. Pro Circuit made pull rods that made the rear of the bike higher...
1st That KX should not have head shake there is something else wrong.

Pro Circuit made pull rods that made the rear of the bike higher and tightened up the frame front en geometry so the KX’s turned tighter.
Thanks for the input, Id assume If there is something wrong it would be with the fork?
8/17/2018 9:16am
Check technique. Are you squeezing the bike with your legs?

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/17/2018 9:38am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 9:40am
If u don’t want to change anything, drag your rear brake thru headshake sections.

Leave the front where it is and lower the rear end by adding more sag.

Try softening the compression clickers on the rear and increasing the compression clickers in the front. 1 or 2 up in the front, 1 or 2 down in the back.
Paw Paw 271
8/17/2018 9:59am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 10:01am
Remember that the most influence on how the forks react and how the bike acts in rough, turns and straights is the rear shock......
If the rear shock is in need of servicing and or the sag is not set correctly, you will have these issues.
When was the shock last serviced?
Do you have the correct spring on the shock for your weight?
What is your static sag?
What is your race sag?
When were the forks last serviced?

Paw Paw
kripple428
8/17/2018 10:03am
Make sure the locknut for the steering stem isnt loose my 03 kx 125 was bad about it vibrating loose and causing headshake. The handlebars shouldnt fall to the side on the stand if they do its too loose. You should have to nudge the bars for it to start moving if that makes sense? Hard to explain in a message lol
8/17/2018 10:47am
Also check and make sure that both compression clickers are set the same (ex 14 out) and that both rebound are the same (ex 12 out). I’ve never expirienced it myself but have heard if one clicker is 14 and the other is 16 that can cause some head shake. It’s worth a look to check and see and easy enough to do
Two Stroke
8/17/2018 10:48am
Check the steering bearings. If they are worn or loose (like mentioned above) it will cause head shake.
How long has it been since you serviced the forts? Old or wrong weight oil can cause problems.
The more weight you put on the front end, the better it will turn so moving the forks down compromised your turning ability. Check you sad and check to make sure when you put weight n the foot pegs, the front and back go down equally. If one goes down easier than the other it will also create handling problems.
Suzukis for many people were shaky for many people, including my son, and we solved it quite easily by tightening the nut and but the steering bearings under a slight load. Learned that one from a Suzuki Tech for Charley Bogard a a national. It worked well all the way through his pro career.
kb228
8/17/2018 11:00am
Ive found if you try leaning the bike over instead of just turning the bars, it turns a little better
8/17/2018 11:10am
Kx125rider wrote:
So I have a bit of a dilemma here, I ride an 05 kx125 and had bad headshake problems for awhile even at fairly slow speeds...
So I have a bit of a dilemma here, I ride an 05 kx125 and had bad headshake problems for awhile even at fairly slow speeds so I combatted that by moving my forks down in the clamps and the issue only resolved when I moved them as far down as I could. Im now alot more comfortable and can go a lot faster through most sections but as you might have guessed Ive sacrificed cornering feel.

So my question is what are some things I can do to make the bike turn better without having to move my forks?
Like Paw Paw 271 mentioned. Gotta have balance front to rear. In your case you could add more preload to the rear spring (or go to a stiffer spring rate) & you might not have to slide your forks all the way out like a chopper. Make one change at a time so you know what helped & what hurt the handling. Change to many things at one time & you don't really know what hurt or helped.
JWACK
8/17/2018 11:16am
What tire are you using ? Putting a good front tire for the terain I ride is the best handling mod I do to any of my bikes.
8/17/2018 3:20pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions my race sag is 102 mm and im not sure about my static sag, Ill check when I get a chance. I also reset all of my clickers back to stock to balance the bike out. Fork and shock have 20-25 hours on them since last service, planning on servicing them this winter. As for my front tire its a nearly new starcross 5. Ill check the stem nut too
TXDirt
8/17/2018 3:31pm
Put another rider on bike.
8/17/2018 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 3:45pm
On my 04 Kx125, I'm running 105mm sag and the forks slid 2.5mm up in the clamps (from flush). Running .44 fork springs and a 5.2 shock spring and i weigh 185 naked. Bike handles so well with this config.

What others have said about the steering stem nut torque is accurate. Too loose and it will flop around in rough stuff. Too tight and it will be tough to turn the bars. You need to find that happy medium. For me, its tight enough so that the bars just barely fall to the side very slowly when its on the stand and i nudge them.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
8/17/2018 3:44pm
Are your spring rates correct? Is the rear too soft? Is the front too stiff? Are the clickers even on both forks?

8/17/2018 4:20pm
Clickers are even and im 145 pounds so im in the range that the springs are good for
Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
8/18/2018 7:03pm
Be sure the suspensions is correct. Correct spring height, set for your weight. Race sag, static sag. Start with a baseline C/R after you have the correct springs and you should be able to go from there. It sounds like you have issues already and its unsure where to start. Who turned the preload up on the rear spring? Last time you measured sag?

Headshake? Something's off.

Post a reply to: Getting a bike to turn better

The Latest