Getting Lapped By A Pro...

11/30/2019 12:50pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
Wintertime in Belgium, Lommel believe it was 2010-2011 or something I was riding pretty smooth and I figured it would not be possible to go much...
Wintertime in Belgium, Lommel believe it was 2010-2011 or something I was riding pretty smooth and I figured it would not be possible to go much faster for me considering I was already riding a 450 First practice I rode 20 minutes and nobody went past me so I'm happy and confident going into
The second practice. When I'm about to go on track right when I turn on there's Joel Roelants, Jordi Tixier, Dennis Verbruggen, and Axel Aletru. All new hires from the JM Nestaan KTM team at that time. So I join the track right behind them. Needless to say, my confidence level was shattered less than 10 minutes later when they lapped me the first time I was so amazed at the speed I parked en loaded up my gear and went watching those guys spin lap after lap.
Does Dennis still ride? I'm pretty sure it was him blasting passed me at Lommel last year, still mega fast.
linker48x
11/30/2019 3:14pm
Here’s one from the way back machine. Hopetown 1973 or 74, 250 expert class, there was a long, long and very fast uphill straight that ended cresting a sharp ridge with a 90 degree cliff turn just past the crest. I’m worried about going over the cliff so I’m rolling the crest, and Kenny Zahrt jumps over me, still can see his foot even with my head, and he plants it in the berm, clutches it and disappears, leaving about a cubic yard of dirt hanging in the air. I can’t see a thing. Natch, I miss the berm, crash my brains out, and I think Kenny won. Dude was fast, and always spectacular to watch.

Another even older one, 1968, on a practice day at the Santa Cruz Inter Am track in De La Vega Park, Bobby Grossi just flies by. Considerate as always, a real gentleman, but quasar fast, gone by the time I get to the next corner. Later, in the actual race, the Euros (including Joel Robert and a very young Roger D) do the same to him. Leaving me to reflect on my lack of serious prospects in this sport for anything but lots of fun.
Motocrossjunky
Fantasy
1181st
12/1/2019 5:55am
Decotis when he was on the Kawi in the Netherlands. Even though he didn’t do well in the GP’s, he still flew by me.
OldTiddler
12/1/2019 1:36pm
On a Florida sand track years ago big Ken De Dycker blew by me with such force that I was being roosted before he even passed me...

The Shop

Uncle Tony
12/1/2019 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2019 2:26pm
Man Adam Blessing, I wonder what happened to him?

BTW I was at Englishtown yesterday
Looby321
12/1/2019 5:00pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Man Adam Blessing, I wonder what happened to him?

BTW I was at Englishtown yesterday
Lol I was thinking that right when I read his post too. Lots of fast guys I grew up riding with have seemed to vanish....just like me haha.
YZed250
12/2/2019 8:46am
I was out with Jo Shimoda and the Monster Energy Yamaha guys on Thursday … feeling very very old when I see them ride.
GripNRip617
12/2/2019 9:50am
Andrew Short races some of our Central Texas TORCS offroad races, my first run in with him goes as follows:

I'm in the sign up trailer, waiting in line behind a guy with a Husqvarna shirt. He's talking about being a factory rider. I'm wondering, "Who is this guy?". My buddies back at camp let me know who he was; Andrew Short.

Now when I got lapped, I was in a GP field section with soft dirt. And, by this point in the race, lines have developed. I'm setting up for the corner, picking (what I thought) was the fastest line. Before I get to the corner, Andrew came past WFO. He hit the apex of that corner as if those bumps and ruts were non existent! Since then, I've been trying to replicate that in my riding. Picking creative lines that go against the grain of what other riders choose.

Then, at the end of the race Andrew Short was on my rear wheel about to lap me again before we crossed the finish line to get the checkered flag. I guess he wasn't finished riding, because he kept the throttle on and went around for another lap! I had to go back to the finish line again to make sure I hadn't pulled off the track pre-maturely!!

sandman768
12/2/2019 9:54am
I turned expert / A class in district 3, upstate New York back in 91. I had grown up riding in the sand, And always struggled on the hard pack rocky Ny tracks. The shop I was riding for, Ed Downing cycles, suggested I go race a Southwick, NESC race. So I did. Mistake #1. Signing up in the Expert/ A class, the top 10 guys all had national numbers and hauled ASS! Lapped? Sometimes twice in a 20 minute plus 2 lap moto! Specifically remember JoJo Keller lapping me on the outside of a large berm, it felt like a fucking earth quake was coming by me....in the early/ mid 90”s there were a lot of fast national riders that would race at Southwick, it was humbling to race there.
cpyz300
12/2/2019 10:23am
O&GDriller wrote:
Old slow vet and a young fast Pro at Reynard's. Lunch is about to be served. Cold, moist red dirt is on the menu... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/29/387639/s1200_RH60_1.jpg[/img]
Old slow vet and a young fast Pro at Reynard's. Lunch is about to be served. Cold, moist red dirt is on the menu...

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
35 passed me plenty at Village Creek. So did the Hahn brothers, DV12, Cunningham, Biselligia, and many others. Hell, Ricky Fowler blew passed me once. Pros...
35 passed me plenty at Village Creek. So did the Hahn brothers, DV12, Cunningham, Biselligia, and many others.
Hell, Ricky Fowler blew passed me once.
Pros and other fasties know when the FMFIC is on track somehow.
Dv12 has ridden village? That sorta blows my mind. Wish I could have seen him ride there.

I think everyone local has seen Cunningham, Bisceglia and the Hahn's ride village or river valley etc. They ride there a ton it seems. Bisceglia damn near took my right hand off my arm passing me from the outside for the inside rut once back when he was on Geico Honda.
BobbyM
12/2/2019 1:39pm
kb228 wrote:
I get lapped by 8 year olds on 65s. Might as well be RV.
Carlsbad XMAS GP riding Moates FMF YAMAHA, McGrath blew by me so fast on the dragstrip my leg fell off then kicked me in the head. Very cool and I even stayed with him for about 10 feet
12/6/2019 10:43am
It mustve been 1981/82 at carlsbad racerway, i was out doing my motos on my Maico 440. I had a pretty good pace going(at least i thought) Raced Expert class back then. Next thing i know, Magoo comes flying by me down a rough a straight like this

MIND BLOWN, guy was out of this world with motor skill... Cant believe it to this day
Forty
12/9/2019 11:35am
2003 at a Thursday practice session we were out for A/B class practice and I was killin it on my yz 450f.

All of a sudden Ryan Dungey comes around the outside of me on a long left hand sweeper riding his RM 85 and disappears after the next corner. We were getting 12 minute practice sessions at the time and he came by 2 times.

Damn.

Post a reply to: Getting Lapped By A Pro...

The Latest