Gettin angry at motocross

Struggling with some anger towards the sport I love right now. It about took my brothers life if he wasn’t near a level 1 trauma center two months ago. Spent 42 days in the hospital and he’s still pretty messed up. Freak accident I’m sure but now it’s affecting me to the point where I’m angry at mx.

As an example Monday I was like...I’m gonna go get the 144 out of the garage and ride at a buddies house Thursday. Everything ready to go, but as I get closer to going I find I don’t want anything to do with it.

I feel like I should sell everything and leave it for a while. Was going to go to high point to spectate. But as I got closer I didn’t want anything to do with it. It’s just bizarre because I’ve never done anything else in life but ride. I don’t like to golf. I don’t like ball and stick sports. And now I got nothing but hate and animosity towards it now.

Any of you ever go through this experience and did you ever think you’d come back to riding again?
|
Donovan759
6/21/2018 10:33am
That sounds like a pretty traumatic experience. Experiences like that make us step back and take a look at the big picture. Give it some time. Dive into any other hobbies you have or try to find some new ones. Maybe try re approaching moto differently if you try to step back into it. Go out and hit some trails instead of a track. Spend some time in nature. Take it slow.

After enough head injuries I took a step back from moto and started just riding in the woods. I still have a love for the sport. But I am done doing motos at local tracks. I've been hurt too many times and need to support a family now.

My thoughts and prayers for you and your brother. I'm glad he is recovering.
BR8ES
6/21/2018 10:37am
don't sell, just put away if you have that luxury. Take a breather. if the desire is still not there, then the break is longer or maybe change from mx to off road. Lots of guys have done that. As far as spectating, that is part of where you are at mentally, same stuff applies.

Sorry to hear about your brother, doesn't make things easier that is for sure, just remember it isn't you and be there for him.
mx_563
6/21/2018 10:37am
Give trail riding a chance before you quit cold turkey. (assuming you have trail riding opportunities nearby)
beamer
6/21/2018 10:39am
Interesting, and sorry to hear. I've had similar issues over the years as well and have spent extended periods away, up until 2 years ago it was about 9 years since I thru a leg over a bike. Now my track days are spent keeping an eye out for my 11 year old pushing it on his 65 while I attempt to put a couple or 3 laps together and try to keep it on 2 wheels. I'm very disappointed in my speed compared to what I think it used to be but have come to realize that its still a lot of fun, oh, and that I need to go to work tomorrow. There are a lot of men and ladies in the same boat too at the track I see that seem to have the same outlook just enjoying themselves, guys wearing t-shirts and sunglasses in their helmets, etc. Then there are the guys that go by you like your going in reverse and im just like, WOW!

The Shop

6/21/2018 10:40am
My brother, lol. He’s nuts. Still wants to ride. And that’s fine. Good on him I guess. I think if I knew less about the medical field and complications from surgeries like his, maybe I wouldn’t be so angry. I don’t know.
Just take some time away. Peep in on here or other moto websites as little or often as you want to stay up to date. Maybe sell everything and just keep the money on the side so if you get the itch again, you can get a freshie. If you feel anger and apathy towards the sport, sticking around may not help. Just my $0.02.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
Take a break for a while. There’s no shame in needing time away from something.
Sixeightone
6/21/2018 10:51am
Put it in the corner, let it sit with a blanket. It costs way to much to re-invest to get back into it if you decide to ride again. Sorry to hear about your brother, Just remember everything happens for a reason.
GregDVT
6/21/2018 10:51am
I snapped my leg skateboarding a few years ago. I can’t even stand on a board now without getting chills down my spine. I do however still go to the park and take photos of my buddies sometimes. Getting a good shot of a trick can be just as satisfying as landing the trick. I don’t mind being around it but don’t really have any intentions of ever participating again.
billyp330
6/21/2018 10:52am
Sorry to hear about your brother.

I have questioned riding/racing a few times (when my wife was pregnant with my daughter and i knocked myself out for the 4th time, and last year when my brother had a bad crash that broke his tib/fib, thumb, and worse of all, had a major concussion with bleeding on his brain, very scary) and i'm sure i will many more times.

Here is my thoughts on this and why I still choose to ride/race:
I grew up riding/racing and was my families main fun thing to do together. It helped keep us close (and still does) and kept my brother and I doing stuff with our family instead of going out and partying with friends and what not. It helped teach us valuable life lessons like how to crash and get back up, work ethic in getting the bike, gear, trailer, food, etc gathered up to go racing and how to work towards getting better (wish I did this more when i was younger). It really helped us grow into independent, responsible adults IMO. It is a part of who we are in a way.

Another thing i think about is people that pass away or have major injuries from things like car crashes, work accidents, random shootings or just other horrible people, etc. Those people werent necassirily doing anything wrong or "risky", yet it still happened. I think about it as if its going to happen, its just my time. When my bro was in the hospital and in rehab for weeks, he kept saying how he was done with riding as he has a kid of his own to worry about and what not. All i keep thinking was hes no longer the same person and i knew that if he stuck to that plan, he wouldnt be as happy. He would have this void kind of in his life and I just dont think he could be the same person as he was before.

Sorry for if my writing is a little bit like rambling, this topic really hits close to home for me and its hard to express my thought process in writing form on this topic because there is so much to say.

Bottom line is you cant really control when its your time or your friends and families time. Stuff happens and its not anyone's fault. If it wasnt a moto accident, maybe it would of been a car accident, or work accident or who knows. If moto makes your brother happy, then he should heal up and ride again, if not then dont. Can still love moto without actually riding.

Do what makes you happy. I'd rather be happy and die young then live forever being miserable.

motomike137
6/21/2018 10:54am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2018 4:32pm
I can identify with where you are coming from. I have seen quite a few of my vet racing friends get seriously hurt in the last few years and one of them lost his life. I still like to follow the pro's and will be at Red Bud both times this year to watch but I have really lost my will to go riding. I keep having little flashes where I want to go trail riding or do a practice day but I never follow through. My bikes and gear just sit in the garage. I guess if I were you I would just let your inner will guide you. There is no easy answer my friend.
omalley
6/21/2018 11:04am
Good advice by the others. I had a similar experience with airplanes. From basically birth, I was around airplanes, both full scale and RC. I was especially fascinated with WWII stuff, especially the modified warbirds that raced at Reno. I wanted to earn my pilots certificate and originally tried to go in the military to be a pilot (I had a medical issue that prevented it). Unfortunately the first time I got to go to the air races was 2011. That was the year the Galloping Ghost crashed into the spectator area, and it did it right in front of our seats. We were very close to being hit, and sadly watched many who were.
I went from being at the only place I’d like to be, to never wanting to see another airplane as long as I lived. It was weeks before I even looked at the photos I had taken that morning.
The moral is that over time, my love for airplanes returned. I went and earned my private certificate. I went back to Reno twice more and loved every minute.

Give yourself a breather. Keep your bike and gear. If you have to sell the bike, keep your gear. I learned that last one the hard way when I quit riding years ago, only to start again.

Ultimately, motocross (and motorcycles in general) can hurt and kill us. Sad but true. Each of us needs to make peace with that. If after a rest period, you cannot, then it might be time to re-evaluate.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
kb228
6/21/2018 11:05am
Do it anyways
downard254
6/21/2018 11:30am
I got tired of the local scene back in the mid 90's. Low rider turnout, expenses, just lost the fun factor. Still enjoyed watching the pro's. Got married a year later, never even fired the bike up for 10 years. Finally one day, I pulled her back out, gave her a good cleaning and tune up, then just joy rode around. Wound up getting a newer bike, only get to ride 1 or 2 times a year (damn carpal tunnel/and work). Still watch the pro's, but I've found I'd rather watch it on TV. Just not into crowds anymore. I'm hoping to get my Carpal Tunnel worked on this winter, then I'd love nothing more than to snatch that 50+ trophy from my old riding buddy from Columbus.
6/21/2018 11:35am
A friend of mine ended up in a wheelchair after a crash a few years ago, Took me a while to get the itch to ride back
Prntscrn
6/21/2018 11:42am
Maybe it's time to take the natural step from one expensive sport to an expensive hobby, golf.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
6/21/2018 11:44am
I have a love/hate relationship with motocross myself. I've stepped away from it a few times....
Bad Billy
6/21/2018 11:53am
Same here. Worked in the industry for over 8 years. Stepped away when I met a girl, got married, bought a house and focused on "normal" life. Didn't even follow it very closely for a couple years, but as they say, you can't get it out of your blood. Bought a bike again and started doing some casual riding. Bought the NBC Gold Pass and watch all the races now, and hope to do some local racing again here soon... With the racing aspect, it's hard working a M-F job and then spending 12 hours at the track on a Sunday for 10 laps of racing.... But after you step away and come back, you do realize how badass this sport is.
newmann
6/21/2018 12:04pm
Went riding with a buddy a little over a month ago. He ate shit and couldn't go in to work at his upstart medical supply mfg. business for weeks. Thinking to myself how screwed I would be if it happened to me. I have gotten out of riding numerous times over the past 30 years due to work or life in general. Always seem to make it back but here lately it gets tougher and tougher to get back to it. Had several of the bikes rebuilt and freshened up last year for the first time in a long time. Thought I was "there". Then the house and all the bikes flooded. Coming up on a year pretty soon and almost back to where I was this time last year. Pretty much a whole year gone to shit.
Moto88
6/21/2018 12:11pm
When I take a break from moto I seem to get that (semi) moto fix running RC cars. I keep it simple ( electric traxxas 1/10 slash 4x4) and have fun making RC tracks and driving them. Kinda like mini moto and cheap! Sorry about your bro!
ga_pike
6/21/2018 12:18pm
Only thing I can tell you is that the people I know who've been seriously injured to the point that they could no longer enjoy the sport tell me they wish everyday they could ride again. Sounds like your brother has the same feelings. Obviously, you can always quit while you still have your health or you can continue, knowing the risks. But keep in mind everything has a risk and while you may not be religious, to me, everything happens for a reason. Some reasons are more difficult to understand than others. Trail riding or dual sport might be a better option for you moving forward... or you could get into hot rods or another motorsport with a lower risk factor.
milliebays
6/21/2018 12:19pm
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-risk-paradox-ryan-leech-mountain-biki…

Risk-taking still has the power to make us feel alive, though. A risk above our ability levels makes us think ‘thank God I’m still alive’, whereas a risk that matches our ability level provides a steady flow of conscious awareness. Most people in our society aren’t willing to truly expose themselves to physical risk so they rely on controlled entertainment and experiences, such as watching YouTube or going to an amusement park.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/21/2018 12:20pm
If you don't wanna ride then don't ride, I wouldn't sell everything because down the rode you may change your mind. Nothing wrong with doing other things for a while either.
6/21/2018 12:20pm
Struggling with some anger towards the sport I love right now. It about took my brothers life if he wasn’t near a level 1 trauma center...
Struggling with some anger towards the sport I love right now. It about took my brothers life if he wasn’t near a level 1 trauma center two months ago. Spent 42 days in the hospital and he’s still pretty messed up. Freak accident I’m sure but now it’s affecting me to the point where I’m angry at mx.

As an example Monday I was like...I’m gonna go get the 144 out of the garage and ride at a buddies house Thursday. Everything ready to go, but as I get closer to going I find I don’t want anything to do with it.

I feel like I should sell everything and leave it for a while. Was going to go to high point to spectate. But as I got closer I didn’t want anything to do with it. It’s just bizarre because I’ve never done anything else in life but ride. I don’t like to golf. I don’t like ball and stick sports. And now I got nothing but hate and animosity towards it now.

Any of you ever go through this experience and did you ever think you’d come back to riding again?
Hey , bad news story and the world is full of them. I sincerely hope he pulls through and can look back on it, it is natural thinking the way you do but you have to remember that it isn't the sport and we cannot blame it as we know the game very well before we play.

I went through a similar thing but on the superbikes in my late 20's, i lost 2 friends on a ride out and i was with them, 20 metres up the road in fact - brutal accident that will never ever go away from my mind. I kept riding for 18 months on and off but eventually packed them up as i turned 30 because i couldn't get the crap out of my mind and i kept finding myself in positions of danger that i had ever felt or encountered before, my riding must have subconsciously changed and it affected everything, corner entry, exit, mid, overtakes, total headfuck when you are on the same corners and roads you have hit at 175mph for years to find you very nearly shit your pants at 90.

I came back properly to offroad after the above, raced mtb for 10 years and moto is fun.

Park the bikes in the garage a while is my advice - take a break and get your head in a new space for a while, what harm can it do? See where your head is when your bro is fixed, maybe you can heal together

good luck and best wishes for your bro from England
500guy
6/21/2018 12:22pm
I like being alive and healthy much more than I ever liked riding a Motorcycle.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/21/2018 12:25pm
I think that everyone involved in it has an occasional love/hate relationship with it.

Good bar-to-bar racing? Love. Two-stroke smell? Love. A freshly tilled track? Love.

Injuries? Hate. Friends in wheelchairs? Hate. Having to ask on the status of a rider after a big crash? Hate.
DoctorJD
6/21/2018 12:33pm
I'm about to liquidate all of our bikes, but I'll probably keep my YZ250 just to trail ride and fart around on. My son is in college, and also is in a band that's doing pretty well right now. He said he couldn't afford another injury, so he isn't interested in riding. My main reason for riding was being able to ride with him, so if he isn't interested in it, then neither am I. I'm 55 and I spend more time thinking about what I'm going to do if I get hurt, instead of thinking about how cool it is to ride.

I find much more joy in mountain biking. So much less anxiety, and I have just as much fun ripping the trails. Yes, I crash in mountain biking, but most of the time it's just some skin abrasions, and in the rare case, some cracked ribs like I did back in February.

It's hard to imagine my life without a dirt bike in the garage, which is probably why I'm keeping my YZ, but I doubt she'll see much action. Like newmann said, I've walked away from moto several times in my life, but I've always come back. This time it just feels different, I'm more okay with it than I've ever been in the past.
H4L
6/21/2018 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2018 12:46pm
Sorry to hear about your brother, my prayers & thoughts go out to him.

My suggestion would be to do a cooling off period & figure out what you really want to do before selling your bike. I went through something similiar in 2007 with a bad crash that left me with broken bones. I ended up in the ER & had to have a couple of surgeries. I was pretty much bed ridden for about 4 months & off work for 6 months. It took some time rehab with about a yr. to come back.

I've had broken bones, stitches, concussions etc.. through the years of riding mx, but nothing that put me out of commission for almost a year. During that time of the injury I did some soul searching & thought about walking away from the sport I've had a passion for since I was 5. I almost sold off all my mx bikes & glad I didn't looking back on it.

I heard an interview recently by Seely where he talked about not wanting to ride again after his crash, but has since changed his mind about the sport.

It's no doubt a dangerous sport / hobby & can have severe consequences when crashes happen at higher speeds. I'd say take a break before making any decisions. Hope your Brother heals up quickly.

Post a reply to: Gettin angry at motocross

The Latest