Get rid of east and west divisions

Acidreamer
Not sure if im beating a dead horse, but soemthing besides the reed dung drama. Imagine all the 250 guys from each coast battling it out for a title.
|
MR. X
4/3/2017 11:08am
North /south ?
DF313
Fantasy
2455th
4/3/2017 11:11am
Excuse my ignorance, but I have long wondered why they split the 250 class in supercross. Is it lack of funds to pay riders/travel/mechanics/etc.? They all run the same outdoor schedule though. I really wish they would do it, the season is too short, one mistake and your chance of the title are almost gone.
IWreckALot
4/3/2017 11:12am
I always thought both classes should have an east and west conference as well as an overall. I think it would solve a lot of the financial problems that the 10th through 24th place guys sometimes have.
kkawboy14
4/3/2017 11:13am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 12:08pm
It pushes guys out because who wants to race just 8 races a year, and gives more guys a paid ride.

The Shop

IWreckALot
4/3/2017 11:16am
DF313 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but I have long wondered why they split the 250 class in supercross. Is it lack of funds to pay riders/travel/mechanics/etc.? They all...
Excuse my ignorance, but I have long wondered why they split the 250 class in supercross. Is it lack of funds to pay riders/travel/mechanics/etc.? They all run the same outdoor schedule though. I really wish they would do it, the season is too short, one mistake and your chance of the title are almost gone.
It's a stepping stone class. They gotta figure out how to get through half a season with fewer laps before they can hit a full season with more laps and a more chewed up track.
philG
4/3/2017 11:20am
I think there should be a 250 Pro class that you cant point out of, that runs all rounds, and a regional that just runs a main as part of the night show.

But.. would Mitch & Star & Geico and Troy Lee run 4 rider teams then??

I think it gives teams a chance to look at guys, who maybe wouldnt get a chance, like Alldredge, Harrison, etc.

Is it wrong that i forgot who the West riders even are ?? Oh yeah, McElrath. and ermmmm. It took me a while, but Forkner is the only other one i can think of.
TXDirt
4/3/2017 11:37am
I like the East/West setup. Only thing I wish they would do is have 3 races that are combined during the season instead of a shootout in Vegas after everything is already decided.

If you combine the East/West into a single class then you are basically gutting 20 riders from the class and I'm not sure that's a good thing. The racing has been pretty good in both classes so why do we need to combine them? If you combine them I highly doubt guys like PC would field 4 rider teams. 4 of 22 rider main would mean that PC is going to potentially take up 18% of the gates in a 22 rider main event? I highly doubt it.
Husky360
4/3/2017 11:49am
Are you related to the person who wants to get rid of the semis?
kkawboy14
4/3/2017 12:09pm
TXDirt wrote:
I like the East/West setup. Only thing I wish they would do is have 3 races that are combined during the season instead of a shootout...
I like the East/West setup. Only thing I wish they would do is have 3 races that are combined during the season instead of a shootout in Vegas after everything is already decided.

If you combine the East/West into a single class then you are basically gutting 20 riders from the class and I'm not sure that's a good thing. The racing has been pretty good in both classes so why do we need to combine them? If you combine them I highly doubt guys like PC would field 4 rider teams. 4 of 22 rider main would mean that PC is going to potentially take up 18% of the gates in a 22 rider main event? I highly doubt it.
That's a really good idea.
Acidreamer
4/3/2017 12:30pm
Why wouldnt teams field 4 riders? They do it already. Getting rid of the bottom tier riders would just create better seeding for the 450 class.
4/3/2017 1:03pm
DF313 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but I have long wondered why they split the 250 class in supercross. Is it lack of funds to pay riders/travel/mechanics/etc.? They all...
I believe that was the original idea behind it all. Split the coasts, lower the costs for up and comers while still giving them the chance to go for a supercross championship.

These days, most of the teams out there have enough support to run the whole series imo. I do think its a good system for teams based on either coast that don't have the funds to travel the whole series though, again being the original idea with the split coasts.

Everybody wants 2 strokes again. Lets make the 250f class a national series, and bring in the 250 2 strokes as a regional championship.
TXDirt
4/3/2017 1:12pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Why wouldnt teams field 4 riders? They do it already. Getting rid of the bottom tier riders would just create better seeding for the 450 class.
My thought is because they currently use 4 riders to go for two championships. I don't think they would keep 4 guys to fight over one championship. You would see teams scale back on riders if you combined east and west. That's an almost guarantee.
Husky360
4/3/2017 1:21pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Kids don't do drugs.
Plugga
4/3/2017 1:38pm
I believe that was the original idea behind it all. Split the coasts, lower the costs for up and comers while still giving them the chance...
I believe that was the original idea behind it all. Split the coasts, lower the costs for up and comers while still giving them the chance to go for a supercross championship.

These days, most of the teams out there have enough support to run the whole series imo. I do think its a good system for teams based on either coast that don't have the funds to travel the whole series though, again being the original idea with the split coasts.

Everybody wants 2 strokes again. Lets make the 250f class a national series, and bring in the 250 2 strokes as a regional championship.
Or tell Honda to shove it and let 250's race 250's. Whistling
rc4187
4/3/2017 1:46pm
An interesting idea might be to do the chase in the 250 class only... 5 west races, 5 east races... crown regional champs and then take top 10 from each class for the remaining rounds and do a 250 sx grand champ.
That way you still have the regional, but you also get to see the best race each other.
kaptkaos
4/3/2017 4:58pm
Without east/west there would probably be half as many rides available.
Seriously, is that a valid reason to do it? How about all the good paid riders can compete in a 17 week title chase against each other like real pros? Then take the other half of each coasts gate, you know the ones...the ones that we watch because we love racing, but they dont get paid, or put butts in the seat or on tv. You get those guys and make a true support series. Put them on coasts if you want, on 2 strokes or mixed classes, who cares really. Make it a support class and let them point out into 250. Race them Friday night or Sunday morning. Shit, scrap the whole stupid AX series make the support class the Road to SX and run it on Friday nights, or in the Winter from Oct-DEC.

Who would watch AX during SX season, seriously? If you have seen one AX you have seen them all.

Realistically we have 3-6 riders on each coast that are Factory pros and can sell/get paid. The rest of the field is just in the way. Thats not professional IMHO, thats like Alabama playing UCF on News Years Eve.

Combine the coasts make it a pro series with 12-16 Factory guys and some top privateers or smaller teams, and then put an age limit on it if you want to. Make it 21-22 or something. Also eliminate all privateers from 450. Let Pro Circuit spend some of its money in 450 rather than on 5 250 guys. Same for Geico. They spend the money, dont be fooled.

Sully
4/3/2017 5:10pm
TXDirt wrote:
I like the East/West setup. Only thing I wish they would do is have 3 races that are combined during the season instead of a shootout...

Didn't they use to do that with Dallas, or one of the other relatively centrally located races? I want to say that there was at least one season where there were more combined races than just Vegas.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
4/3/2017 5:18pm
Bottom line is the rules push out guys to no rides. That healthy? Congrats malcom! you don't have a job. But if he had won beating all 250 competitors, I think the contract looks better.

Those that hang on to the east/west.... Why not have a 5 race format for east/west/north/south.. its only fair!
mingham97
4/3/2017 5:32pm
I thought the answer was pretty straight forward as to why it's split up into 2 regions. Will give 10 points to anyone who can work it out...
JMR1976
4/3/2017 5:35pm
I just wish they would have a few showdown races during the season, not just Vagas.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
4/3/2017 5:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 5:37pm
as long as its not one series. most of the time east west keeps sx from being snooze city. it could be 2 huge run aways . I like the change of riders. 2 showdown races would be cool. 1/2 way and vegas.
MX_Andrew83
4/3/2017 5:39pm
This would make it almost impossible for privateers to make the main event.
mb60
4/3/2017 5:49pm
They need to figure out away to finish the west series before the east starts. Has to be the dumbest thing for Hill to sit out 6 weeks until the West starts back up. Just get it right for once feld.

Post a reply to: Get rid of east and west divisions

The Latest