Get back into it, then get out, then back in, anyone else this much of a mentalcase?

usafwx
Edited Date/Time 3/16/2019 5:42pm
(Long winded, sorry in advance.)

So ever since I got stationed here in AZ I've been a bit of a mental case with riding and all over the place. When I was stationed in NJ, I lived and breathed it, every weekend at the track with my buddies, though we complained about the lack of riding, I will admit I have a new appreciation for some of the amazing tracks that we had when I was there (Etown, FOD, SpeedCiti, Blue Diamond).

Moved to AZ and I'm finding myself in a whole new weird place. For one I'm in Tucson, the local track here needs some help, great people but its not the greatest (they dont even have a dozer for track prep) and moto is pretty dead here, think most people ride desert and its not the most wealthy place in the country. Sure there's the tracks in Phoenix but thats a 5 hour round trip for me. So with a lack of new riding friends and an unispiring / challenging track I found myself falling out of love with it and sold the bike and gear shortly after getting here in May of 17. Focused on some prereq work for grad school and deployed.

While deployed I found myself really missing moto, I was a late bloomer to the sport and it has done so many great things for who I am as a person and some of my fondest memories, relationships, it defined alot of who I am, I often find myself depressed or lost without it. So after some convincing from family and friends I bought a new bike when I got home from the deployment in August of 18. Ended up wadding myself up, feeling frustrated again with the lack of places to ride, riding friends and now an injury and just spending a good chunk of my savings to get back into it, I said f**k it and sold my one month old bike and gear.

Since then i've been trying to fill the time before I move back home to start grad school separating active duty in July but can't help but keep wanting to buy another bike and gear and ride again. Its so bad I'll go through spurts of negotiating on a bike, getting ready to pick it up and then back out and tell myself the cost, injury and just not being what it used to be isnt worth it, find a new hobby.

But I can't seem to shake moto, tried mountain biking, volunteering, it still lingers and torments me. My rational brain says stop holding onto what moto was, invest that money in your future, stop this financially harmful cycle, stay healthy avoiding injury and move on but my heart can't stop living in what moto was and the identity it created for me.

Anyone else go through this and how the hell do you move past moto or don't you? I just feel like giving up is just that and just another boring dude. I dont know. I usually have my shit together but this has been throwing me all over the place lately. When people say moto is a drug they couldnt be more right, this is ridiculous. Ready for the flaming. Happy Friday vitards.
|
MZ193
3/15/2019 8:31am
what's your problem dude..
you bought a brand new bike to sell it one month later.. what's your problem..
kb228
3/15/2019 8:35am
Sounds like you need to figure out what you want to with your life. If you want to ride, join the reserves, get another job, and move back to where your friends are and enjoy riding.

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
3/15/2019 8:39am
Buy a bike.

Riding moto is the best full-body workout I have found.

Riding moto is the best form of meditation I have found. (that is fully engaged mental and physical activity with no room for distractions)

Having a sound mind and a sound body will only help your graduate studies.

Maybe back it down a notch, though. Thanks for your service.
JWACK
3/15/2019 8:43am
I think you need a nice clean used Yz125. Then go out in the desert after it rains and cut in a nice corner track all on your own or with buddy's that won't blow out your corners. It will be awesome. It's one of my favorite things to do.
3/15/2019 8:46am
A wise man once told me " Ride While You Can". For one day you will be too busy (school, job, wife, kids) then later when we are old our bodies may not let us ride anymore.

Moto is great, but you can also find the same therapeutic enjoyment off road too. Look up the AMRA (arizona motorcycle riders association). http://www.amraracing.com/

I moved to PHX at one point and found good dudes to ride and race with thru the ARMA. Eventually I joined the Rockstars MC and found lots guys to ride track and trail. Best thing I did since I didnt know anyone and didnt want to ride by myself.

Good luck.
BR8ES
3/15/2019 8:49am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 8:50am
Didn't you just pick up a 19 CRF? I know you had a YZF and sold that quickly, was that attributed to this thought process? I have had to truck it quite a ways at times to ride, it is what it is if you want to ride. Make it twice a month instead of every weekend.

Pretty sure you said you were getting out soon? Worst case you wait until you are in a better place to ride.
usafwx
3/15/2019 8:51am
MZ193 wrote:
what's your problem dude..
you bought a brand new bike to sell it one month later.. what's your problem..
Thanks, real helpful.
brocster
3/15/2019 8:53am
Buy a bike. Riding moto is the best full-body workout I have found. Riding moto is the best form of meditation I have found. (that is...
Buy a bike.

Riding moto is the best form of meditation I have found. (that is fully engaged mental and physical activity with no room for distractions)

This^^^^^^

There are no mulligans in the game of life...

If you want to ride, ride!

As cliche as it sounds there is way more truth to the simple four letters. YOLO
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/15/2019 8:58am
Where else do you have to ride other than MC Motorsports Park? I rode there November 2017. It wasn't horrible, not much prep, but the track was fun for being where it is.

I get it man, especially not having many people to ride with. I have times where I look at the bikes and I'm kinda meh about them, but after I haven't ridden in a while I chomp at the bit to ride. I had a 2014 YZ450 that spent most of it's life with me sitting. Bought it July 2013 and sold it April 2018 with 38 hours on it. Still looked as clean as the day I bought it. I hated seeing it just sit in the garage depreciating in value even though no hours were being put on it. At that point I decided it was time to change things up a bit. So I started searching for a YZ250. Ended up buying an 05 YZ250 from another Vital member(you can see the bike in my build thread or the thread about going overboard on builds) and it changed things. I still don't like that the bike sits, but I don't feel the same as I did when my 450 sat. It's fun to ride, easy to work on, cheaper and just badass to even look at. Coming from a 450, I feel like a champ riding my YZ250.

I don't know if you've thought about going that route, but maybe it will help change things a bit for you like it did for me. Not here to try and push 2 strokes on anyone, but just figured I'd give my insight on the subject having had the same up and down feelings with riding over the last few years.

usafwx
3/15/2019 9:07am
A wise man once told me " Ride While You Can". For one day you will be too busy (school, job, wife, kids) then later when...
A wise man once told me " Ride While You Can". For one day you will be too busy (school, job, wife, kids) then later when we are old our bodies may not let us ride anymore.

Moto is great, but you can also find the same therapeutic enjoyment off road too. Look up the AMRA (arizona motorcycle riders association). http://www.amraracing.com/

I moved to PHX at one point and found good dudes to ride and race with thru the ARMA. Eventually I joined the Rockstars MC and found lots guys to ride track and trail. Best thing I did since I didnt know anyone and didnt want to ride by myself.

Good luck.
Thanks bud, I'll check it out!
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:10am
JWACK wrote:
I think you need a nice clean used Yz125. Then go out in the desert after it rains and cut in a nice corner track all...
I think you need a nice clean used Yz125. Then go out in the desert after it rains and cut in a nice corner track all on your own or with buddy's that won't blow out your corners. It will be awesome. It's one of my favorite things to do.
I was actually thinking this. I picked up a YZ125 back in 2016 and have never had so much fun riding, it definately reingnited my riding passion that I sold my 16 YZ250F and rode solely 2 strokes for a 2 years, before telling myself I needed a four stroke again. Something about cheap to maintain, fun to ride and no pressure.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:15am
BR8ES wrote:
Didn't you just pick up a 19 CRF? I know you had a YZF and sold that quickly, was that attributed to this thought process? I...
Didn't you just pick up a 19 CRF? I know you had a YZF and sold that quickly, was that attributed to this thought process? I have had to truck it quite a ways at times to ride, it is what it is if you want to ride. Make it twice a month instead of every weekend.

Pretty sure you said you were getting out soon? Worst case you wait until you are in a better place to ride.
Didnt get the 19 CRF, was about to pull the trigger on that or a YZ125 leftover this weekend, because I was feeling the urge to need to ride again. And yes the YZF was sold due to this throught process and just bad emotional decision making.

I separate in July, but Joliet MX will be a 30 min drive from my house at home.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:20am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 9:22am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Where else do you have to ride other than MC Motorsports Park? I rode there November 2017. It wasn't horrible, not much prep, but the track...
Where else do you have to ride other than MC Motorsports Park? I rode there November 2017. It wasn't horrible, not much prep, but the track was fun for being where it is.

I get it man, especially not having many people to ride with. I have times where I look at the bikes and I'm kinda meh about them, but after I haven't ridden in a while I chomp at the bit to ride. I had a 2014 YZ450 that spent most of it's life with me sitting. Bought it July 2013 and sold it April 2018 with 38 hours on it. Still looked as clean as the day I bought it. I hated seeing it just sit in the garage depreciating in value even though no hours were being put on it. At that point I decided it was time to change things up a bit. So I started searching for a YZ250. Ended up buying an 05 YZ250 from another Vital member(you can see the bike in my build thread or the thread about going overboard on builds) and it changed things. I still don't like that the bike sits, but I don't feel the same as I did when my 450 sat. It's fun to ride, easy to work on, cheaper and just badass to even look at. Coming from a 450, I feel like a champ riding my YZ250.

I don't know if you've thought about going that route, but maybe it will help change things a bit for you like it did for me. Not here to try and push 2 strokes on anyone, but just figured I'd give my insight on the subject having had the same up and down feelings with riding over the last few years.

Just MC, I agree its better than nothing and its safe, but Mark doesnt have a dozer (not his fault, cheap a*s county leased track/equip) so the jumps are inconsistent and not very confidence inspiring at times. That and the scene is pretty dead.

I definately feel the lack of riding buds doesnt help, I had a plehtrua in NJ and would constantly meet and establish new ones, here its tough, just a lack of people and lack of people wanting to socialize with new people lol. I think you nailed it with the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. I had a YZ125 I bought as a 2nd bike back in 2016 and feel in love with riding all over again, never got hurt on it, never rode over my head and definately grew the most riding when I had that bike, been thinking maybe I need to move back to a 2 stroke, because its cheaper, easier to work on, less pressure overall to have sitting in the garage.

Thanks man.
kijen
3/15/2019 9:21am
My itch comes and goes, but my yz250 is always in the gargae and ready to go when i am. I think about buying a new ktm 350 or 450, but I would rather not have a 10k bike sitting. So i keep ol girl, and bling her up everyso often. Riding this weekend!
BR8ES
3/15/2019 9:22am
BR8ES wrote:
Didn't you just pick up a 19 CRF? I know you had a YZF and sold that quickly, was that attributed to this thought process? I...

usafwx wrote:
Didnt get the 19 CRF, was about to pull the trigger on that or a YZ125 leftover this weekend, because I was feeling the urge to...
Didnt get the 19 CRF, was about to pull the trigger on that or a YZ125 leftover this weekend, because I was feeling the urge to need to ride again. And yes the YZF was sold due to this throught process and just bad emotional decision making.

I separate in July, but Joliet MX will be a 30 min drive from my house at home.
Get yourself settled and buy a 125.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:22am
brocster wrote:
This^^^^^^ There are no mulligans in the game of life... If you want to ride, ride! As cliche as it sounds there is way more truth...
This^^^^^^

There are no mulligans in the game of life...

If you want to ride, ride!

As cliche as it sounds there is way more truth to the simple four letters. YOLO
One of the many arguments I use to convince myself. But definately good perspective. Thanks bud.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
3/15/2019 9:24am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 9:24am
I would flick you in your balls or tell you to go get testosterone. But I can tell in your post, you just needed a flick to the balls and realize you're a moto for life man. Do what makes you happy. It's that simple, don't second guess.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:27am
BR8ES wrote:
I agree. I'm living at home again with family, so rent free, just gotta worry about being a full time OTD student, but won't like the uncertainity when it comes to money and healthcare even with a padded savings and the GI bill has me a bit less comfortable buying a new bike right now. Maybe should just take a breather till I get settled at home.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:28am
Moto_Geek wrote:
I would flick you in your balls or tell you to go get testosterone. But I can tell in your post, you just needed a flick...
I would flick you in your balls or tell you to go get testosterone. But I can tell in your post, you just needed a flick to the balls and realize you're a moto for life man. Do what makes you happy. It's that simple, don't second guess.
Lol, thanks for the morning laugh man and some perspective.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:30am
Buy a bike. Riding moto is the best full-body workout I have found. Riding moto is the best form of meditation I have found. (that is...
Buy a bike.

Thanks man, and my privilege/honor to serve.
BR8ES
3/15/2019 9:34am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 9:42am
BR8ES wrote:
usafwx wrote:
I agree. I'm living at home again with family, so rent free, just gotta worry about being a full time OTD student, but won't like the...
I agree. I'm living at home again with family, so rent free, just gotta worry about being a full time OTD student, but won't like the uncertainity when it comes to money and healthcare even with a padded savings and the GI bill has me a bit less comfortable buying a new bike right now. Maybe should just take a breather till I get settled at home.
Seriously..July isnt far off and the civilian world and all of its trappings awaits. Been there and done that, still haven't fully adjusted and been thru a zillion bikes over the years, keep coming back to a 125. Fun and 125 keeps coming up with you, what other leading do you need at this point?

You'll have a lot going on soon, get that sorted, get yourself settled, buy a 125 and have some fun for the next year or two and go from there. You'll be fine, don't beat yourself up too much right now.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/15/2019 9:34am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Where else do you have to ride other than MC Motorsports Park? I rode there November 2017. It wasn't horrible, not much prep, but the track...

usafwx wrote:
Just MC, I agree its better than nothing and its safe, but Mark doesnt have a dozer (not his fault, cheap a*s county leased track/equip) so...
Just MC, I agree its better than nothing and its safe, but Mark doesnt have a dozer (not his fault, cheap a*s county leased track/equip) so the jumps are inconsistent and not very confidence inspiring at times. That and the scene is pretty dead.

I definately feel the lack of riding buds doesnt help, I had a plehtrua in NJ and would constantly meet and establish new ones, here its tough, just a lack of people and lack of people wanting to socialize with new people lol. I think you nailed it with the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. I had a YZ125 I bought as a 2nd bike back in 2016 and feel in love with riding all over again, never got hurt on it, never rode over my head and definately grew the most riding when I had that bike, been thinking maybe I need to move back to a 2 stroke, because its cheaper, easier to work on, less pressure overall to have sitting in the garage.

Thanks man.
I have a few buddies up in the Phoenix area that are always looking for people to ride with, although I know the drive is long and boring! I think we all go through this at one point or another and multiple times over and over again. Just no more emotional sales of bikes Wink
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:42am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I have a few buddies up in the Phoenix area that are always looking for people to ride with, although I know the drive is long...
I have a few buddies up in the Phoenix area that are always looking for people to ride with, although I know the drive is long and boring! I think we all go through this at one point or another and multiple times over and over again. Just no more emotional sales of bikes Wink
Thanks man, I agree even if its once a month or two that I ride, good to have the option. And yes I definately need to work on my emotional poor decision making.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/15/2019 9:45am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I have a few buddies up in the Phoenix area that are always looking for people to ride with, although I know the drive is long...
usafwx wrote:
Thanks man, I agree even if its once a month or two that I ride, good to have the option. And yes I definately need to...
Thanks man, I agree even if its once a month or two that I ride, good to have the option. And yes I definately need to work on my emotional poor decision making.
We are all guilty of it at some point. I don't know how many times I posted my 450 for sale based off of emotion lol. Same happened with my 250 right after we got our house. Then I realized I can ride about 1/4 mile from my house. It happens man! You're not alone.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:46am
BR8ES wrote:
Seriously..July isnt far off and the civilian world and all of its trappings awaits. Been there and done that, still haven't fully adjusted and been thru...
Seriously..July isnt far off and the civilian world and all of its trappings awaits. Been there and done that, still haven't fully adjusted and been thru a zillion bikes over the years, keep coming back to a 125. Fun and 125 keeps coming up with you, what other leading do you need at this point?

You'll have a lot going on soon, get that sorted, get yourself settled, buy a 125 and have some fun for the next year or two and go from there. You'll be fine, don't beat yourself up too much right now.
Thanks man, I have a plan in place, already have my bachelors and moving to a great career, but like you said so many trappings and uncertainities that come with leaving active duty. Even having a very healthy savings Im having a hard time spending $2-3k in gear to get back into it and then another $3-6k on a bike, at least until I have a better idea of where I'm at once I get settled. Though I definately think a 125 is the way to go. Thanks man and thank you for your service as well.
usafwx
3/15/2019 9:51am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
We are all guilty of it at some point. I don't know how many times I posted my 450 for sale based off of emotion lol...
We are all guilty of it at some point. I don't know how many times I posted my 450 for sale based off of emotion lol. Same happened with my 250 right after we got our house. Then I realized I can ride about 1/4 mile from my house. It happens man! You're not alone.
Thanks man that definitely makes me feel better, I thought I was the who makes those type of decisions. I can resonate, I'm trying to get my truck paid off and the last of my student loans prior to joining the Air Force, saving for leaving active duty, so always listening to money podcasts etc. and thats when I usually tell myself that that is the priority and moto and all its expenses have to go, but thats so one sided and neglecting my heart/soul.
3/15/2019 9:57am
I’ve been toying with the idea of grad school as my undergrad won’t give me a whole lot of job prospects. Do you think I should aim to have a 3.5 minimum before considering?

Also, have you ever ridden Ocotillo Raceway? Is that place still open in AZ?
3/15/2019 9:58am
Maybe give mountain biking another shot? This is what has worked for me. With a wife, kiddo, and a full time job, I found it much more satisfying for me in the bigger picture. Yes, it's not as fun but I'm spending less on parts and I'm also not waiting on a track to be open or prepped. On the trail early and back home by 9 or 10 to hang with the fam. Shit, in the summer I'm riding 2 or 3 days a week before I'm at my desk by 8. It's not for everyone, just my 2 cents.

Post a reply to: Get back into it, then get out, then back in, anyone else this much of a mentalcase?

The Latest