Genova on Motoconcepts Honda

twotwosix
I was reading on RacerX about McAdoo getting his new Geico Honda ride and this statement really stuck out to me. I've never met Genova, but if I'm judging his team based of how they have helped Brayton, Chiz and McAdoo this year, plus their new working relationship with Honda, I'd say it's fair to let their past go. I'm glad to see an effort like this out there and thriving.

@RX: “We’re good guys,” says Genova. “Our riders aren’t going without paychecks, our checks don’t bounce, our mechanics are W2ed with health insurance, we eat at good restaurants and stay at the good hotels. We treat our people well. But just because Jeff Alessi does something stupid with a laser pointer, because Tony gets mad, or because Mike did something dumb and t-boned Broc Tickle, we’re painted as these cartoon villains. But we’re not. We’ve competed at a very high level for a long time. I’m glad we were able to help. Cameron is a good kid and he’s earned the attention he’s getting—I really think he has a chance to be 'a dude' and racing at the front.”
|
Dtat720
3/16/2017 8:00am
They keep trucking while people talk crap and they keep getting better and better with their team structure. They can only control what they have going on, and they seem to be doing an excellent job of it despite the opinion of others. I dig it, and apparently Honda does too.
IWreckALot
3/16/2017 8:21am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 8:26am
I've always thought of Genova as level headed as they come. He understands his position in the sport and also knows how to treat people. The McAdoo sendoff is about as classy as a team can do.
MR. X
3/16/2017 8:24am
The sport needs more people like him involved.
TymeMoto
3/16/2017 8:27am
This sport needs more guys like Mike Genova. What a first class move he made, here. Class act. He deserves every bit of credit for building MotoConcepts into a legit satellite team with guys fighting for top 10's each weekend.

Way better riders and results than similar teams like Rock River.

The Shop

MXD
3/16/2017 8:30am
You don't make the money he has made in life by making knee-jerk decisions and lacking wisdom. He's a smart guy and I like the way he handles things.
doofy
3/16/2017 8:35am
Its a bummer he has to deal with the tomfoolery of his riders. Seems like a great guy. I got a feeling they make him grit his teeth alot
500guy
3/16/2017 8:36am
our checks don’t bounce, our mechanics are W2ed with health insurance, we eat at good restaurants and stay at the good hotels.

This is all a person needs to know. The sport has a history of running people like this off.
ehr400
3/16/2017 8:45am
500guy wrote:
[b]our checks don’t bounce, our mechanics are W2ed with health insurance, we eat at good restaurants and stay at the good hotels.[/b] This is all a...
our checks don’t bounce, our mechanics are W2ed with health insurance, we eat at good restaurants and stay at the good hotels.

This is all a person needs to know. The sport has a history of running people like this off.
Yeah but they aren't bro'ing down like those other guys bro.
ga_pike
3/16/2017 9:04am
It's interesting to me that he actually mentioned all 3 Alessi's by name. Now, I personally think Mike and Jeff are good dudes that has made some mistakes. It also seems that Tony is very intense and just wants the best for his family. I don't know their exact arrangement with Genova, but kudos to him for sticking with Mike Alessi. One thing is you always hear and see Smart Top Motoconcepts racing. There is something positive about that for them.
mjr119
3/16/2017 9:25am
500guy wrote:
[b]our checks don’t bounce, our mechanics are W2ed with health insurance, we eat at good restaurants and stay at the good hotels.[/b] This is all a...

Yes, other people are too worried that this might catch on! As it should....
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
3/16/2017 9:30am
twotwosix wrote:
I was reading on RacerX about McAdoo getting his new Geico Honda ride and this statement really stuck out to me. I've never met Genova, but...
I was reading on RacerX about McAdoo getting his new Geico Honda ride and this statement really stuck out to me. I've never met Genova, but if I'm judging his team based of how they have helped Brayton, Chiz and McAdoo this year, plus their new working relationship with Honda, I'd say it's fair to let their past go. I'm glad to see an effort like this out there and thriving.

@RX: “We’re good guys,” says Genova. “Our riders aren’t going without paychecks, our checks don’t bounce, our mechanics are W2ed with health insurance, we eat at good restaurants and stay at the good hotels. We treat our people well. But just because Jeff Alessi does something stupid with a laser pointer, because Tony gets mad, or because Mike did something dumb and t-boned Broc Tickle, we’re painted as these cartoon villains. But we’re not. We’ve competed at a very high level for a long time. I’m glad we were able to help. Cameron is a good kid and he’s earned the attention he’s getting—I really think he has a chance to be 'a dude' and racing at the front.”
it wasnt only genova, Tony negotiated the deal for Mcadoo as well. He wanted to ensure he was getting a good deal and secured the ride for him for 2018 as well.

There may have been some shenanigans happening there but their focus is on taking care of riders and their people and that goes a long way. They definitely have a good program going
davistld01
3/16/2017 9:31am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 9:33am
MC is actually a better team, has more financial security & is on better equipment than quite a few other teams that are more "cool" or get more positive press. Genova obviously loves the sport, and seems to be running a great team overall.
tcallahan707
3/16/2017 10:16am
500guy wrote:

ehr400 wrote:
Yeah but they aren't bro'ing down like those other guys bro.
They need to party in Newps more.
Aryen
3/16/2017 10:40am
I bet that it's a wholesome team and owner, but am I the only one thinking Genova got something in return for letting a good rider go before the end of his contract? It's also business right?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
3/16/2017 11:03am
Aryen wrote:
I bet that it's a wholesome team and owner, but am I the only one thinking Genova got something in return for letting a good rider...
I bet that it's a wholesome team and owner, but am I the only one thinking Genova got something in return for letting a good rider go before the end of his contract? It's also business right?
This guy has it figured out.
davistld01
3/16/2017 11:16am
Aryen wrote:
I bet that it's a wholesome team and owner, but am I the only one thinking Genova got something in return for letting a good rider...
Educate me. Who?
hvaughn88
3/16/2017 11:18am
Aryen wrote:
As he should.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
3/16/2017 11:30am
The sport needs more people like Genova. I hope we as consumers can start to support these guys and help shed the bad light that they have (not all innocent). Hope Motoconcepts can keep the positive vibes going.
JSmith
3/16/2017 11:31am
I'm sure he got paid something, and he deserved to. He had invested in a rider who was leaving his team early.
IWreckALot
3/16/2017 11:32am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 11:35am
davistld01 wrote:
MC is actually a better team, has more financial security & is on better equipment than quite a few other teams that are more "cool" or...
MC is actually a better team, has more financial security & is on better equipment than quite a few other teams that are more "cool" or get more positive press. Genova obviously loves the sport, and seems to be running a great team overall.
Is that a dig at RCH or the Blue Buffalo flying billboard with motors that blow up? Lol.
hvaughn88
3/16/2017 11:32am
JSmith wrote:
I'm sure he got paid something, and he deserved to. He had invested in a rider who was leaving his team early.
completely agree. It would be shitty if he didn't get compensated.
tbright80
3/16/2017 11:35am
Maybe some more factory equipment for 2018 since Jmart will piloting a 450 for Geico next year or even a rider from Geico's current roster could be traded to MCR next year that would field a 3rd 450 spot if Genova and Tony are able to secure more funding from Honda. Either way it's great to see Genova looking out for his rider's best interest and seeing both parties benefit from the exchange.
dkg
3/16/2017 12:01pm
Talked with Genova in the pits a few years back, he seemed like a standup guy. As some of the "drama" events unfolded, I kind of scratched my head wondering how he (Genova) got embroiled in the mess (it just didn't fit). Seems to me that the entire team is getting more in touch with the Genova approach. Glad to see the silly distractions are behind them. They are building a first rate satellite team.
3/16/2017 12:20pm
The team definitely had some hiccups in the past but they never gave up and honestly now it's one of the cleanest looking teams in the pits. Vince adds a bit of controversy but nothing too crazy and we all know it's just Vince. Not to mention Genova has been loyal as hell to all his riders and I don't think you could ask for much more. Definitely have to respect what they have accomplished.
3/16/2017 12:27pm
This is read like an episode of Speed Racer to me. Villians kid brother fails at elaborate plot to ruin someone's race (Lasergate), father has a tyrannical personality(Tony), and the villian denies any wrong doing (Swingarmgate).

But just because Jeff Alessi cheated by impairing someone's vision, because Tony has a short fuse, or because Mike annihilated Broc Tickle and called it an accident, we’re painted as these cartoon villains.

I don't have an opinion on it. I'm just giving props for Genova painting the picture.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
3/16/2017 12:30pm
Genova is getting a lot of praise, a d deservedly so, but lets not forget about Tony, he's put his work in too.

That team is a vision from both guys.
kiwifan
3/16/2017 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 12:47pm
I think the whole team has been pretty impressive over the last few years, it is a shame some don't like the Alessi's or the Friese's of this world. At least they put in the hard work and represent their team and sponsors as best they can. Their relationship is obviously getting stronger with Honda and that's great as Honda hasn't always had a good 450 satellite team (except when Geico fields a 450)...so having more red bikes out there helps their brand awareness as well. I do wonder if when Gajser arrives, that Seely will go under MCR tent (still with a factory bike)?

Kudos to Mike and Tony....respect.
rrjr
3/16/2017 12:52pm
davistld01 wrote:
MC is actually a better team, has more financial security & is on better equipment than quite a few other teams that are more "cool" or...
There you go again with your insider information. Care to explain how you know the financial information of "quite a few other teams"? Unless you're their banker or writing the checks to pay their bills you know nothing more than any other person looking in from the outside.
jj welks
3/16/2017 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 12:55pm
Wish there were more teams funded like moto concepts is (by somebody with mucho Denaro and equally big passion for moto)

That vid of Genova holding a beer while laser gate went down is a classic haha.
davistld01
3/16/2017 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 1:46pm
davistld01 wrote:
rrjr wrote:
There you go again with your insider information. Care to explain how you know the financial information of "quite a few other teams"? Unless you're their...
There you go again with your insider information. Care to explain how you know the financial information of "quite a few other teams"? Unless you're their banker or writing the checks to pay their bills you know nothing more than any other person looking in from the outside.
What? I have never, ever, ever claimed to be anything but an intelligent outsider, so I don't know what your beef with me is. Mike Genova is a multi-millionaire...that's widely known. And NO, I don't know how much he has in the bank before you ask. He obviously has the bucks to spend on a losing proposition, since I've heard that most MX teams don't make any money at all. That's widely known too...not just my "insider information". Motoconcepts has never seemed to have any financial hardship & they seem to always be on great equipment...especially now that Honda has stepped up to help in whatever way they have. There are quite few smaller teams that fold each year because of financial difficulties...and that's widely known too. Heck, even you ought to know that!

I guess we all need to preface out posts with "IN MY PERSONAL OPINION..."! Would that make you feel better?

Post a reply to: Genova on Motoconcepts Honda

The Latest