Generational talent

CPR
9/12/2021 6:24am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2021 6:25am
Where’s his competition at that are a similar age?
Only just learnt today that up and coming rookie youngsters Vohland and Kitchen are older than Jett. Anyone else out there winning in AMA at 18-20yo?

Early days yet, but that may meet the definition of generational, no?
Coenmx
9/12/2021 7:46am
No one can argue this, that he is an “Australian “ generational talent cause not since Reedy has anyone won a championship in the US from Australia , heck he is 2 years younger than when Reedy won his first title here. As for dropping the word “Australian” from this big call we have to wait another 10-12 years to see how that will play out . Can’t call it now .
Crush
9/12/2021 8:47am
Well... this just confirms, he's way better than everyone his age and better than the vets of the class...

And given it's been a while since a kid won, it's almost like he's Jetterational.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
9/3/2022 7:16pm
So I’m reviving this thread just to see where people stand on Jett now. Are we all in 100 percent agreement that Jett is the rider of his generation and a generational talent?

The Shop

OleTex
9/3/2022 7:52pm
Crush wrote:
Well... this just confirms, he's way better than everyone his age and better than the vets of the class... And given it's been a while since...
Well... this just confirms, he's way better than everyone his age and better than the vets of the class...

And given it's been a while since a kid won, it's almost like he's Jetterational.
Lol! I can’t wait to see him and Sexton go at it.
9/5/2022 7:26am
Park Boys wrote:
So I’m reviving this thread just to see where people stand on Jett now. Are we all in 100 percent agreement that Jett is the rider...
So I’m reviving this thread just to see where people stand on Jett now. Are we all in 100 percent agreement that Jett is the rider of his generation and a generational talent?
He is definitely the best guy in the 250 class, but I think now, more than ever the gap from 250’s to 450’s is pretty big..
When stew was on lites he was almost undefeated on a 125 against 250f’s to me that’s “Generational”
9/5/2022 7:35am
I just love watching him ride. All the Honda guy are mentioned when we talk about perfect technique and style. Jett's style looks different from the other riders to me though. It stands out even among the baddest dudes on Earth
9/5/2022 8:04am
What does “Generational talent” even mean?

Are we saying there’s nobody else in his generation that has talent?

And what even is his ‘generation’?

At 31 years old, is Christian Craig the same generation as Jett (19yrs)? If they’re not the same generation, what is defined as the same?

Or maybe you don’t mean the RIDER’S generation at all? Maybe you mean you, as the fans generation? Is Jett the best 250 rider you’ve seen so far in your lifetime? Is that what you mean? As an example, a kid who is ten years old right now wouldn’t have witnessed Stew in the ‘lites’ class… therefore, for the generation of that ten year olds life, for sure Jett is the best he’s seen.. likewise, a 99 year old dude who passed away in 2020 didn’t see Jett, therefore someone else was the talent of his generation..

Or maybe you mean the generation of his career timespan?? But I guess that wouldn’t work if someone knocks him off the top when he’s at the tail end of his career, like MC vs RC.?

For sure he’s the best rider in the 250 class for the past two seasons.. but this ‘generational’ thing, I just don’t get it.🤷‍♀️
Mr. Afterbar
9/5/2022 8:10am
You need to mention World Champion on a 65 at 13. The guys that win those will lap your local pro on his 450 in a...
You need to mention World Champion on a 65 at 13.

The guys that win those will lap your local pro on his 450 in a 20 minute moto.
I know this is an old post, but it’s wildly inaccurate. Nobody on a 65 can beat local pros.
9/5/2022 8:12am
You need to mention World Champion on a 65 at 13. The guys that win those will lap your local pro on his 450 in a...

I know this is an old post, but it’s wildly inaccurate. Nobody on a 65 can beat local pros.
Yeah I just saw that and was scratching my head on that one too lol
Gungadin
9/5/2022 8:14am
He is definitely the best guy in the 250 class, but I think now, more than ever the gap from 250’s to 450’s is pretty big...
He is definitely the best guy in the 250 class, but I think now, more than ever the gap from 250’s to 450’s is pretty big..
When stew was on lites he was almost undefeated on a 125 against 250f’s to me that’s “Generational”
Maybe, but the transponders tell us Tomac's pace has slowed.

Chase is on arguably the best bike in the class (MX1 world championship at a canter) and his riding has improved.

I think with #18, 330 and #96 the 250 pace in 2022 was closer than ever to the 450's.

9/5/2022 8:46am
What does “Generational talent” even mean? Are we saying there’s nobody else in his generation that has talent? And what even is his ‘generation’? At 31...

At 31 years old, is Christian Craig the same generation as Jett (19yrs)? If they’re not the same generation, what is defined as the same?

Or maybe you don’t mean the RIDER’S generation at all? Maybe you mean you, as the fans generation? Is Jett the best 250 rider you’ve seen so far in your lifetime? Is that what you mean? As an example, a kid who is ten years old right now wouldn’t have witnessed Stew in the ‘lites’ class… therefore, for the generation of that ten year olds life, for sure Jett is the best he’s seen.. likewise, a 99 year old dude who passed away in 2020 didn’t see Jett, therefore someone else was the talent of his generation..

Or maybe you mean the generation of his career timespan?? But I guess that wouldn’t work if someone knocks him off the top when he’s at the tail end of his career, like MC vs RC.?

For sure he’s the best rider in the 250 class for the past two seasons.. but this ‘generational’ thing, I just don’t get it.🤷‍♀️
Generational is like those people that are heads and shoulders above everyone else, like a “once in a generation” type..
Guys like Ricky, James, Pastrana, RV etc
People that just crushed everyone from day 1..
9/5/2022 8:52am
What does “Generational talent” even mean? Are we saying there’s nobody else in his generation that has talent? And what even is his ‘generation’? At 31...

Generational is like those people that are heads and shoulders above everyone else, like a “once in a generation” type.. Guys like Ricky, James, Pastrana, RV...
Generational is like those people that are heads and shoulders above everyone else, like a “once in a generation” type..
But weren't Ricky & James of the same generation? So which one of those two is the 'Talent' of the generation?

Theres what, just five yers in age difference between them.

This is what Im getting at- define the generation.
9/5/2022 8:53am
Generational is like those people that are heads and shoulders above everyone else, like a “once in a generation” type.. Guys like Ricky, James, Pastrana, RV...
Oh, and Jett hasn't crushed everyone from day 1 either. He's crushing them now, admittedly.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
9/5/2022 8:54am

But weren't Ricky & James of the same generation? So which one of those two is the 'Talent' of the generation? Theres what, just five yers...
But weren't Ricky & James of the same generation? So which one of those two is the 'Talent' of the generation?

Theres what, just five yers in age difference between them.

This is what Im getting at- define the generation.
You are really overthinking this. If you don't understand the concept of a generational talent nobody here is going to be able to spell it out for you.
9/5/2022 8:57am
GrapeApe wrote:
You are really overthinking this. If you don't understand the concept of a generational talent nobody here is going to be able to spell it out...
You are really overthinking this. If you don't understand the concept of a generational talent nobody here is going to be able to spell it out for you.
Couldn't we just say "Jett is better than everyone else on the line at the moment" ?

If we describe Jett as a generation talent, what do we do if someone comes along next year and beats him, straight up?
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
9/5/2022 8:59am
Park Boys wrote:
So I’m reviving this thread just to see where people stand on Jett now. Are we all in 100 percent agreement that Jett is the rider...
He is definitely the best guy in the 250 class, but I think now, more than ever the gap from 250’s to 450’s is pretty big...
So if we are using Stew as the bench mark for generational. Then by default is he the only generational rider in the history of the sport?
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
9/5/2022 9:13am
GrapeApe wrote:
You are really overthinking this. If you don't understand the concept of a generational talent nobody here is going to be able to spell it out...
Couldn't we just say "Jett is better than everyone else on the line at the moment" ? If we describe Jett as a generation talent, what...
Couldn't we just say "Jett is better than everyone else on the line at the moment" ?

If we describe Jett as a generation talent, what do we do if someone comes along next year and beats him, straight up?
I think the name for being better than anyone else right now is called championship. lol
Sandusky26
9/5/2022 9:20am

I agree. Webb started beating up on the pro's once he was on a 150, but not lapping them.
motomike137
9/5/2022 9:45am
Park Boys wrote:
He certainly looks the part and his advancement this year has all the trappings but the real test begins next year. I'm not doubting that he will achieve greatness but he still has to go out and do it in the 450's over multiple seasons.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
9/6/2022 9:50am

In sociology - a generation is around 4 years
BigBoreFan58
9/6/2022 10:04am
Jett's time in the spotlight will be short. Danger Boy will shine brightly very soon.
9/6/2022 10:10am

motokiwi wrote:
In sociology - a generation is around 4 years
I was thinking about this and I guess its reasonable to think about it in terms of the duration of a pro career.

If we would say a pro career would last on average, 10-12 years? Then I suppose a third to a half of that career is spent in the 'lites' class.

So 3-6 years could be considered a 'generation'?

Yeah, Jett is the best 250 rider we've seen in the last 3-6 years, no doubt.
USA
Fantasy
507th
9/6/2022 10:27am
Park Boys wrote:
At this point, Jett is winning everything in front of him. I expect him to figure it out in 450s as well and win races there too.

He's a bad dude and will probably have run the table for 2 years in 250s by the time he moves up for 2023 outdoors.
mx313
9/6/2022 2:21pm
If jett wins the 250 sx next season
Jett will be the first ever rider to win 4 125/250 titles in a row.
And stew and jett will be the only riders to win 4 titles at 19 or younger
9/6/2022 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2022 4:36pm
I don’t believe in all the generational talent talk I literally was just watching a 1979 500cc gp and those dudes entered corners as fast as the guys do today and had more mid corner speed that these stop and go guys from today….
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
1/1/2024 9:06pm
jl0822 wrote:
Generational talents are head and shoulders above the competition, on a league of their own, breaking records. For instance...from last to first...lapping the field...going 24-0...consecutive titles...
Generational talents are head and shoulders above the competition, on a league of their own, breaking records. For instance...from last to first...lapping the field...going 24-0...consecutive titles. Jett is a talent with huge potential but generational in my opinion no.

22-0 count? 

Post a reply to: Generational talent

The Latest