Generational talent

Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
Edited Date/Time 9/6/2022 2:21pm
We have heard the Generational talent and is Jett one on Pulp and Main event moto podcasts for months now and IMO it’s a no brainer that he is. To me Generational is different then saying he’s an “all-time” talent like Stew. If your gonna use Stewart is your statistical standard for the first few years of a career then everyone fails, even RC to an extent. Stew and RC are All-timers. But what’s generational? IMO in SX/MX careers are short, this sport spits guys out within 10 years usually. So maybe every 5-6 years in this sport. 15 years in this sport is an entirety. The last sure fire “generational” talents all came up within a couple years IMO with Roczen, Tomac and Herlings they all fail to match Stewart too. You could make an argument that AC9 was but became injured to early to really excel and Prado would be your other argument. But what Jetts doing at his age only happens with a couple guys every 5-6 years if that. I think he is, what does Vital say?

Also been generational don’t guarantee anything, being injury free is the number 1 thing among others. To me generational means you’re a teenager and you’re already “elite”.
|
7/20/2021 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 4:03pm
Last 20 years, in America RC, JS, RV and tomac buy tomac doesn't have the mental edge as the other 3.

Jett I love him but we will see because he's so young in a higher level riding he hasn't bursted on the scene like RC, JS and RV.

My eyes on deegan and Ryder d for the next gen though, deegan might not be as naturally gifted as Ryder or jett but one things for sure that kid is hungry and wants to win everything he enters just like the riders I mentioned at the top.
Johnny Ringo
7/20/2021 3:39pm
Daniels argument is that he as good as stew was, he said stew wouldn’t be able to handle a 250f like Jett can.

When Stew was 17 he won all but 1 race on the West Coast and ran the table outdoors from Budds Creek to Steel City. When RC was 17 he ran the table in 125E and won 8 of 12 nationals. RV was working on his 2nd outdoor title against Townley.

Bottom line, “generational talents” usually have multiple titles by the end of their second year. In this era anyway. Jett is good, and may be the best of this current batch of riders, but we’ll have to see where he ends up
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
7/20/2021 3:42pm
Last 20 years, in America RC, JS, RV and tomac buy tomac doesn't have the mental edge as the other 3. Jett I love him but...
Last 20 years, in America RC, JS, RV and tomac buy tomac doesn't have the mental edge as the other 3.

Jett I love him but we will see because he's so young in a higher level riding he hasn't bursted on the scene like RC, JS and RV.

My eyes on deegan and Ryder d for the next gen though, deegan might not be as naturally gifted as Ryder or jett but one things for sure that kid is hungry and wants to win everything he enters just like the riders I mentioned at the top.
I think career success and talent are two different things. Pastrana is a perfect example of this, maybe the second most talented guy behind Stew ever? Winning titles at 16-17 and then crashing out and never fully recovering. But still battling for SX wins at 18/19 in the big boy class.

The Shop

agn5008
Fantasy
256th
7/20/2021 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 3:49pm
Let’s see Jett win a few titles before lumping him in with the legends of this sport.

Jett has 2 overall wins in his career and you’re considering him elite? I guess you and I have a different definition of elite.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
7/20/2021 3:54pm
agn5008 wrote:
Let’s see Jett win a few titles before lumping him in with the legends of this sport. Jett has 2 overall wins in his career and...
Let’s see Jett win a few titles before lumping him in with the legends of this sport.

Jett has 2 overall wins in his career and you’re considering him elite? I guess you and I have a different definition of elite.
What’s so hard about separating talent and career success? Again no one will say Pastrana was not one of the most talented guys they have ever seen. Listen to the 80’s legends talk about Ronnie and he has zero big bike titles. When you’re 17 and winning SX races and MX races you’re next level.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
7/20/2021 3:55pm
Last 20 years, in America RC, JS, RV and tomac buy tomac doesn't have the mental edge as the other 3. Jett I love him but...

Park Boys wrote:
I think career success and talent are two different things. Pastrana is a perfect example of this, maybe the second most talented guy behind Stew ever...
I think career success and talent are two different things. Pastrana is a perfect example of this, maybe the second most talented guy behind Stew ever? Winning titles at 16-17 and then crashing out and never fully recovering. But still battling for SX wins at 18/19 in the big boy class.
Pastrana was elite at freestyle mx. He was really fast at mx but not elite. We can name quite a few guys who were extremely fast but not elite. When you’re trying to make a point the words you use matter.

Jett is really fast and an absolutely amazing rider. But he has shown nothing indicating he’s going to become one of the elite riders. He’s won 2 out of 13 overalls in his career. I’m sure he will improve significantly over the next few years but there’s no reason to believe he’s gonna be the next RC or JS.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
7/20/2021 4:06pm
Daniels argument is that he as good as stew was, he said stew wouldn’t be able to handle a 250f like Jett can. When Stew was...
Daniels argument is that he as good as stew was, he said stew wouldn’t be able to handle a 250f like Jett can.

When Stew was 17 he won all but 1 race on the West Coast and ran the table outdoors from Budds Creek to Steel City. When RC was 17 he ran the table in 125E and won 8 of 12 nationals. RV was working on his 2nd outdoor title against Townley.

Bottom line, “generational talents” usually have multiple titles by the end of their second year. In this era anyway. Jett is good, and may be the best of this current batch of riders, but we’ll have to see where he ends up
Just to correct your “age” stats. Stew was around Jetts age season to season. RV turned 18 by the end of his rookie year and RC was 18 in his second year.
gerg
7/20/2021 4:11pm
You cant start comparing riders without comparing the fields as well.

RC JS and CR only really had each other as competition. The rest of the field was nowhere and as a result the generational talent back then was more flattered by lack of competition.

Current fields are riding off the coat tails of the fast 3 o 4 riders of the last generation by learning from their revolutionary riding and adopting it...plus 4ts.

The competition these days is way tighter and the gaps in timing is tighter.

If and buts and theory crafting there's no way an RC or JS is going to obliterate todays fields by 30 seconds.

FWIW I think that 250 lap times are probably approaching their limit and 450s still have a fair bit of margin left in them due to the sheer horsepower...outdoors moreso than SX.

SVT-Cobra
7/20/2021 4:18pm
The 2022 and 2023 seasons will decide whether he is actually “that dude.” A lot of people think he has the potential, I tend to agree.
resetjet
7/20/2021 4:25pm
I remember the mcgrath days. Didnt matter where he started he was going to the front. Those days are gone. If you do it today you are in this category. Tomac this weekend was showing his true colors. Awful start 2 secs a lap faster and made a run at winning. That is generational talent in this scratching for a 1/10 of a second per lap. Jett had made similar runs. That is what it takes. Wins will come. But for sure until you are sitting firmly on the hill and silenced the critics, who knows?
Kanute
7/20/2021 4:32pm
Are you talking about results or hype? Results, he is generational if that means he has won a few races, showed speed crashed out of races, and is doing well. I would put Forkner in that category his first two years he was fast too. Ron Lechien won when he was 16. Baby Jesus (AC9) was fast too, a lot called him generational how has that turned out? I think Nate Thrasher has more supercross wins, where does that put him?

Trust me, I think AC9 is a hell of a rider and I hope he gets his arm fixed and wins some championships, I am not bashing him, just this post putting the cart ahead of the horse. I also enjoy watching Jett on the bike, that dude knows how to make the bike work. Great kid too, even better for the sport. But.......

For Hype, yes he is generational, no doubt. Believe the HYPE!!!!!
ElliotB16
7/20/2021 4:38pm
New generation every 5-10 years. He is generational talent. Most kids his age havnt even turned pro yet.
FerCzD
7/20/2021 4:50pm
Fast, smooth, technical. He has "it" and definitely will win titles, starting this year with the outdoors (yes I am aware Justin Cooper took the red plate this weekend). As for the hype, it's not his fault what people say about him, he can't control that, specially Daniel Blair, it's cringe worthy and weird the fixation he has on this boy.

As for generational talent, the answer is yes.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
7/20/2021 4:53pm

Park Boys wrote:
I think career success and talent are two different things. Pastrana is a perfect example of this, maybe the second most talented guy behind Stew ever...
agn5008 wrote:
Pastrana was elite at freestyle mx. He was really fast at mx but not elite. We can name quite a few guys who were extremely fast...
Pastrana was elite at freestyle mx. He was really fast at mx but not elite. We can name quite a few guys who were extremely fast but not elite. When you’re trying to make a point the words you use matter.

Jett is really fast and an absolutely amazing rider. But he has shown nothing indicating he’s going to become one of the elite riders. He’s won 2 out of 13 overalls in his career. I’m sure he will improve significantly over the next few years but there’s no reason to believe he’s gonna be the next RC or JS.
Pastrana wasn’t elite at mx?? He was working everyone on his 125 when he was way oversized in the bike until back to back concussions. Ifs and buts I know but without injuries he would’ve made it a lot tougher on those now considered greats
chadder44
7/20/2021 4:56pm
Jett passes the eye test with flying colors and I think that's why he has so much hype. He rides perfect, is in shape, and has consistent race winning speed. Very rare combo. I don't care what place he was in this weekend in Millville, man he was so much fun to watch.

AH387
7/20/2021 5:02pm
I personally think Jett is a tad overhyped right now. I don't see him as an RC, JS type of talent. He's young and that may change. But it's honestly way too early to even have the conversation about where he stands. So much can happen and as we have seen guys burn out, peak at different times etc. So far he has not been RC level, so it's silly to even put him in that context. Let's wait until he starts dominating or at least see if he develops and continues to get better w/o burning out (or getting hurt etc) He's fun to watch and he's great for the sport, so by no means am I trying to talk in a negative way. Love his style too. He does things that look effortless. I just think people are jumping the gun on who he is or what he can be.
bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
7/20/2021 5:21pm
Stew could come off the sofa tomorrow on a bone stock 125 and spank the entire field. That’s generational talent
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
7/20/2021 5:22pm
Here is the complete list of riders who have won multiple SX and MX races at the age of 17.

Bradshaw, RC, Pastrana, Stew and Jett

It’s been nearly 20 years since this has happened.

Bradshaw was ridiculous at 17 btw.

Again not saying he is gonna be all time but he’s sure in some... talented company.
brimx153
7/20/2021 5:30pm
It s ridiculous to compare him to RC or Stew or McGrath. Its a terrible take . Imo if Jmart was nt riding with broken finger s and a bum shoulder he would be winning that class by a mile . Jett is a great rider , same as Sexon , AC etc but god they are no where near RC or McGrath. Even a younger Stew . Plus i hate this crap that the level is higher now in 250 s (125cc) . Just because RC and Stew use to beat everyone by half a lap . Does nt mean that the guy finishing second was nt every bit as good as JCoop or Jett . And jmo ,This is still the weakest 250f outdoor class in years . If Jett was the next RC he should be winning 95% of the races bad start or crash ,doesn't matter . thats exactly what RC has done

Ps, feel sorry for jett in this too cause its not him going around telling everyone he is the next RC /Stew/MC etc . Its putting unfair expectations on him
FerCzD
7/20/2021 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 7:11pm
I gave second thoughts on your original post. Got me thinking, whenever there's a talk about generational talent Ryan Dungey's name rarely pops out, yet he is out there with the all timers 4th on premier MX wins, can't remember how many titles. So in a sense you are right, generational talent does not equal to potential all timer..
Alex814
7/20/2021 5:34pm
bigk218 wrote:
Stew could come off the sofa tomorrow on a bone stock 125 and spank the entire field. That’s generational talent
Did you watch the races in 2016?
brimx153
7/20/2021 5:42pm
FerCzD wrote:
I gave second thoughts on your original post. Got me thinking, whenever there's a talk about generational talent Ryan Dungey's name rarely pops out, yet he...
I gave second thoughts on your original post. Got me thinking, whenever there's a talk about generational talent Ryan Dungey's name rarely pops out, yet he is out there with the all timers 4th on premier MX wins, can't remember how many titles. So in a sense you are right, generational talent does not equal to potential all timer..
RD was a generational talent imo . He just always seems to be the best rider people forget about .
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
7/20/2021 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 5:45pm
FerCzD wrote:
I gave second thoughts on your original post. Got me thinking, whenever there's a talk about generational talent Ryan Dungey's name rarely pops out, yet he...
Bingo, for some reason people see his Jetts name next to some of the all timers due to his success at a young age and get bent out of shape. In my eyes Roczen was arguably the biggest talent since Stew and at least since RV but for all he has accomplished injuries have robbed him of so much. So does that mean he wasn’t Uber talented? No, situations and work mean more than talent. RD was a work horse that got better and better, but no one really talks about him as a “talent” (all of the top pros are) rider and he is an all timer thru hardwork and dedication.
mxb2
7/20/2021 5:45pm
FerCzD wrote:
brimx153 wrote:
RD was a generational talent imo . He just always seems to be the best rider people forget about .
Dungey is a legend. Top 5 of all time.
rawjahdesigns
7/20/2021 5:46pm

Park Boys wrote:
agn5008 wrote:
Pastrana was elite at freestyle mx. He was really fast at mx but not elite. We can name quite a few guys who were extremely fast...

How young are you to say Pastrana wasn't Elite at moto?
GabeM
7/20/2021 5:46pm
gerg wrote:
You cant start comparing riders without comparing the fields as well. RC JS and CR only really had each other as competition. The rest of the...
You cant start comparing riders without comparing the fields as well.

RC JS and CR only really had each other as competition. The rest of the field was nowhere and as a result the generational talent back then was more flattered by lack of competition.

Current fields are riding off the coat tails of the fast 3 o 4 riders of the last generation by learning from their revolutionary riding and adopting it...plus 4ts.

The competition these days is way tighter and the gaps in timing is tighter.

If and buts and theory crafting there's no way an RC or JS is going to obliterate todays fields by 30 seconds.

FWIW I think that 250 lap times are probably approaching their limit and 450s still have a fair bit of margin left in them due to the sheer horsepower...outdoors moreso than SX.

RC JS and CR only really had each other as competition.

Same as heavy weight boxing in the 70's Ali, Frazier and Foreman only had each other as competition.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
7/20/2021 6:04pm
Dude had to move to a different continent twice before turning 15 and is a multiple SX and MX race winner (and possible national champ) 2 years later and people are still waiting to see if he's any good? Dizzy

Post a reply to: Generational talent

The Latest