Generation Gap....Why so much Black Plastic?

kkawboy14
9/14/2017 12:27pm
slothy wrote:
my fav bike i've have looks wise was my old yz450 with black plastics and flo yellow graphics. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/14/214628/s1200_88A38192_AA5D_4201_A1BC_11135306A212.jpg[/img]
my fav bike i've have looks wise was my old yz450 with black plastics and flo yellow graphics.

Nice!
Katoomey
9/14/2017 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 12:36pm
murdered out = played out.

Dirtbikes, brodozers, muscle cars, escalades. Whatever bros can get their hands on. Its what you do when you havn't developed any sense of style or taste, but you still have to let the world know how much of a badass you are.
kkawboy14
9/14/2017 12:39pm
Katoomey wrote:
murdered out = played out. Dirtbikes, brodozers, muscle cars, escalades. Whatever bros can get their hands on. Its what you do when you havn't developed any...
murdered out = played out.

Dirtbikes, brodozers, muscle cars, escalades. Whatever bros can get their hands on. Its what you do when you havn't developed any sense of style or taste, but you still have to let the world know how much of a badass you are.
It's a 909 thing!

The Shop

newmann
9/14/2017 12:39pm
Bultaco wrote:
Pardon my ignorance. Or maybe it is age. I, like many others scan the want ads, craigslist, etc for used dirt scooters. I also check out...
Pardon my ignorance. Or maybe it is age.

I, like many others scan the want ads, craigslist, etc for used dirt scooters. I also check out the bike builds here and elsewhere. Over and over I see people put on a black rear fender. Many times also black rear number plates. What is the attraction of all this black plastic? It is like a uniform for the "my bike is different" crowd.

No judgement on this. I don't mind at all. Just wondering.

Ummmm, screen name?Laughing

Sidecar
9/14/2017 12:44pm
I have black rims.... black back end.... We wear black kit... With monster Ms... Oops sorry people....

Oh and this plastic has done 2 years, it can easily be kept looking fresh, the fenders are genuine pro circuit ex team kits purchased from Doc Wob (builder of a lot of the nice bikes you see for the Farleigh vmxdn) He imports a lot of ex team items into the UK.
Dimblewambie
9/14/2017 12:53pm
JeepnMike wrote:
JKs opened the doors for Jeep guys to actually bring their family wheeling. I don't know why you classify it as a minivan. From a running...
JKs opened the doors for Jeep guys to actually bring their family wheeling. I don't know why you classify it as a minivan. From a running gear perspective, they haven't changed in 20 years. Still solid axles, still coil sprung, removable doors, etc. If anything, they have made them notably beefier in critical areas. I have been wheeling since the early 90s, I will never understand why folks ridicule wheeling in comfort.. Once I had kids I had to sell my last Jeep because they are too damn small to realistically wheel with passengers. The 4 door kicked the door back open and we use the piss out of our Jeep, as a family, in comfort.

My Jeep isn't very average, very well and functionally built on 40s, and still drivable even for my wife, because it is a JK.
BobPA wrote:
I am fairly certain the XJ let you wheel with your family long before the JK. The jeep name died when the 4.0 ceased, end of...
I am fairly certain the XJ let you wheel with your family long before the JK. The jeep name died when the 4.0 ceased, end of story.
Last real Jeep was 1986.

98% of the JKs around here are gheyed up mall crawlers, there are a select few decent Fiats out there though.
JeepnMike
9/14/2017 1:04pm
JeepnMike wrote:
JKs opened the doors for Jeep guys to actually bring their family wheeling. I don't know why you classify it as a minivan. From a running...
JKs opened the doors for Jeep guys to actually bring their family wheeling. I don't know why you classify it as a minivan. From a running gear perspective, they haven't changed in 20 years. Still solid axles, still coil sprung, removable doors, etc. If anything, they have made them notably beefier in critical areas. I have been wheeling since the early 90s, I will never understand why folks ridicule wheeling in comfort.. Once I had kids I had to sell my last Jeep because they are too damn small to realistically wheel with passengers. The 4 door kicked the door back open and we use the piss out of our Jeep, as a family, in comfort.

My Jeep isn't very average, very well and functionally built on 40s, and still drivable even for my wife, because it is a JK.
BobPA wrote:
I am fairly certain the XJ let you wheel with your family long before the JK. The jeep name died when the 4.0 ceased, end of...
I am fairly certain the XJ let you wheel with your family long before the JK. The jeep name died when the 4.0 ceased, end of story.
XJs end up in pieces with all windows broken out if you actually wheel them here in the PNW. We need topless, doorless, and wide. By your logic above, the Jeep should have also died when they put coil springs on them.

I live for Jeep stuff dude, I will never claim to be an expert on much more, but this stuff, I will. I wasn't a fan of the 3.8L after the 4.0 either, but what it lacked in motor it made up in functionality and additional strength. There is plenty of douches rolling around in JKs, but I am not calling the JK a POS because of the idiots that buy them. Offroad they are badass, and can drive straight down the road well modified.

Prius' on the other hand... they are free game Laughing
MohMoto14
9/14/2017 1:29pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
[img]https://s26.postimg.org/twdz9f01l/IMG_3966.png[/img]
Used to love putting some black on into my bikes especially my late 90's yz80's, black rims and silver talon hubs look tits. That bike is overkill though, to much.
Mit12
9/14/2017 3:15pm
My opinion, only thing worse than black rims is black plastic. Don't get me wrong, love a black car but not on a dirt bike. Again my opinion.
kkawboy14
9/14/2017 3:16pm
Up here in Canada things are so cold that I needed more black to attract the sun and warm up... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/14/214692/s1200_IMG_0038.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/14/214693/s1200_IMG_0002.jpg[/img]
Up here in Canada things are so cold that I needed more black to attract the sun and warm up...

I like it!
stillwelding
9/14/2017 3:28pm
slothy wrote:
my fav bike i've have looks wise was my old yz450 with black plastics and flo yellow graphics. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/14/214628/s1200_88A38192_AA5D_4201_A1BC_11135306A212.jpg[/img]
my fav bike i've have looks wise was my old yz450 with black plastics and flo yellow graphics.

Great looking bike. Ill also give this other an honorable mention

3D
9/14/2017 3:42pm
JeepnMike wrote:
XJs end up in pieces with all windows broken out if you actually wheel them here in the PNW. We need topless, doorless, and wide. By...
XJs end up in pieces with all windows broken out if you actually wheel them here in the PNW. We need topless, doorless, and wide. By your logic above, the Jeep should have also died when they put coil springs on them.

I live for Jeep stuff dude, I will never claim to be an expert on much more, but this stuff, I will. I wasn't a fan of the 3.8L after the 4.0 either, but what it lacked in motor it made up in functionality and additional strength. There is plenty of douches rolling around in JKs, but I am not calling the JK a POS because of the idiots that buy them. Offroad they are badass, and can drive straight down the road well modified.

I have an almost all stock 01 xj. For where I am and what I do, it's great. It's basically my mountain and town cruiser. I can fit anywhere because I don't care about the paint and it hauls my wife and kids up to remote camp spots near me. It kicks the shit out of my previous mountain beater (S10 Blazer). That thing was absolute junk in every way.
9/14/2017 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 4:07pm
There are a few nice looking bikes with black plastic. Some in this thread. But the overwhelming majority of black bikes are either insanely dorky or rattle-canned roached out pieces of shit.

And manufacturers just randomly sticking a black rear fender or lower shroud on their bike is just a lazy, shit-poor styling effort.
Indymxer
9/14/2017 4:19pm
rmoto003 wrote:
Theyre just signaling that their bike is a POS.

Blacked Out = Clapped Out
Yes! Looks like crap after two rides.
Monk
9/14/2017 4:20pm
Black looks good.

FTB
9/14/2017 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 4:32pm
Forgot to add a Pic Blush

All hard anno, no dodgy powder coating.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/14/2017 4:38pm
FTB wrote:
Forgot to add a Pic :blush: All hard anno, no dodgy powder coating. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/14/214739/s1200_thumbnail_IMG_0276.jpg[/img]

That pipe needs to go. Works pipe or Cone pipe are the only options.
YZ302
9/14/2017 4:46pm
I blame Kawasaki.

FTB
9/14/2017 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 4:57pm
FTB wrote:
Forgot to add a Pic :blush: All hard anno, no dodgy powder coating. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/14/214739/s1200_thumbnail_IMG_0276.jpg[/img]

-MAVERICK- wrote:
That pipe needs to go. Works pipe or Cone pipe are the only options.
Tried a Scalvini, lost 4HP on the dyno. TSP (Two Stroke Performance) built the engine and did the dyno work. Plus I ride offroad and don't wanna deal with the rust.

The bike is in the middle of a revamp ATM.

JFYI. The Scalvini 144 pipes are the exact same pipe as the 125 pipes. That info came from the Scalvini distributor in Oz.
FTB
9/14/2017 5:06pm
My RM-X 265 AF. From one extreme to the other My riding mates hate the bling, so what do ya do Tongue

BobPA
9/14/2017 5:44pm
JeepnMike wrote:
XJs end up in pieces with all windows broken out if you actually wheel them here in the PNW. We need topless, doorless, and wide. By...

The problem with the four doors around here is the size, for true wheeling anyway. There are two types of "wheeling" local to me in PA. One is just fire roads or old coal mining routes, it is basically high school girls driving their 2" lifted JK's around drinking beer. They are just glorified roads through the woods. The other is tight rocky climbs, JK's are plenty capable, but the four doors do not stand a chance in the tight stuff. I guess you could count the muddin' crew as wheeling too, but all those boys do is get stuck and break parts.

I have an '89 Comanche with a 6 speed, Ford 8.8, and a 3 link up front. It is a pure mall crawler because I do not want to scratch the shit out of the fresh paint haha.

navalseabee
9/14/2017 6:14pm
Really not a fan of black plastic just because how fast it starts to look like shit. Also, nothing looks worse than a well used set of black rims... I take that back new Yamaha blue wheels look horrid IMO. I wish manufactures would get back on the silver wheel band wagon....
FTB
9/14/2017 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 6:46pm
Really not a fan of black plastic just because how fast it starts to look like shit. Also, nothing looks worse than a well used set...
Really not a fan of black plastic just because how fast it starts to look like shit. Also, nothing looks worse than a well used set of black rims... I take that back new Yamaha blue wheels look horrid IMO. I wish manufactures would get back on the silver wheel band wagon....
I HATE silver rims. With passion.

If you have Black rims that are scuffed up, get a Black marker pen onto them and thery'll look like new again. Too easy!
Works on Red & Blue rims as well. But try it on Silver.
JeepnMike
9/14/2017 9:04pm
JeepnMike wrote:

BobPA wrote:
The problem with the four doors around here is the size, for true wheeling anyway. There are two types of "wheeling" local to me in PA...
The problem with the four doors around here is the size, for true wheeling anyway. There are two types of "wheeling" local to me in PA. One is just fire roads or old coal mining routes, it is basically high school girls driving their 2" lifted JK's around drinking beer. They are just glorified roads through the woods. The other is tight rocky climbs, JK's are plenty capable, but the four doors do not stand a chance in the tight stuff. I guess you could count the muddin' crew as wheeling too, but all those boys do is get stuck and break parts.

I have an '89 Comanche with a 6 speed, Ford 8.8, and a 3 link up front. It is a pure mall crawler because I do not want to scratch the shit out of the fresh paint haha.

Clean Comanche!! That is one on my wish list.. Cool and functional trucks. I use lots of lube on my Jeep in the tight spots (I live in WA, we don't have a tree shortage), but I get mine through the tight stuff dent free. I use my cage plenty, but still keep the body straight.

Here is a couple of photos of my money pit:

drt410
9/14/2017 9:25pm
The rmz came like that where the honda and kawi had white rear fenders for a few years. Black rims look good.
drt410
9/14/2017 9:28pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/14/214668/s1200_IMG_4583.jpg[/img]

That looks amazing.
Bultaco
9/15/2017 5:15am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2017 7:16am
newmann wrote:
Ummmm, screen name?:laugh: [img]https://www.motoguapa.com/BULTACO/BH/BH3/El%20Bandido%20Mk1.jpg[/img]
Ummmm, screen name?Laughing

Touche', Joe. Tastefully done is okay. CoolCool

edit: Technically, the Bultaco is black fiberglass not plastic. But you knew that.

Post a reply to: Generation Gap....Why so much Black Plastic?

The Latest