Bike/Gear washing tricks

jsmx97
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 1:08pm
Post any good gear washing tricks or methods here!

I wash boots with simple green and spray with maxima SC1 when dry to keep them looking sort of shiny/new

Knee pads I spray that motorex helmet foam on to kill odor

I'm interested to hear other tricks like how to remove mud stains from white gear
|
Spooner
7/29/2013 11:50am
Oxy clean works great on any stain. Works great on boots too.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
7/29/2013 11:58am
Wesley's white wall bleach (for tires) works awesome on boots. Makes them look brand new. I have white Alpinestars and they always look fresh after I spray them, do a little brush scrub and spray off!
newmann
7/29/2013 12:57pm
Pro Clean 1000 bike cleaner. Mix a little in a bucket of water and pre-soak your riding gear in it before washing. Works good on that East Texas red clay like they have in Georgia...Wink

flarider
7/29/2013 1:01pm
newmann wrote:
Pro Clean 1000 bike cleaner. Mix a little in a bucket of water and pre-soak your riding gear in it before washing. Works good on that...
Pro Clean 1000 bike cleaner. Mix a little in a bucket of water and pre-soak your riding gear in it before washing. Works good on that East Texas red clay like they have in Georgia...Wink

Yup, or you can add like a 1/2 cup into the washer with your detergent

The Shop

AzMxr
7/29/2013 1:11pm
Shout works on everything. Bike, gear, and isn't harsh like SG.
JW381
7/29/2013 1:13pm
I don't wanna start a new thread, but what about washing Tires? I hate washing my bike real good, spraying it down with some SC1 afterwards, only to have tires that are still a tint of brown.
SEE ARE125
7/29/2013 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2013 1:37pm
JW381 wrote:
I don't wanna start a new thread, but what about washing Tires? I hate washing my bike real good, spraying it down with some SC1 afterwards...
I don't wanna start a new thread, but what about washing Tires? I hate washing my bike real good, spraying it down with some SC1 afterwards, only to have tires that are still a tint of brown.

Spray on the tire, rotating it as you go to cover the entire tire. Pressure wash off, again, rotating the tire to make sure you get all of it. I usually rotate the tire forward when pressure washing, then spray again and spray in the opposite direction and rotate the tires backwards while washing, that way I get both sides of the knobbies. Leaves that new tire black color, not that crazy shiny black like Armor All etc. I use that stuff on almost everything except polished or anodized stuff.
JW381
7/29/2013 1:38pm
JW381 wrote:
I don't wanna start a new thread, but what about washing Tires? I hate washing my bike real good, spraying it down with some SC1 afterwards...
SEE ARE125 wrote:
[img]http://www.joetlc.com/images/westleybleachwhite.jpg[/img] Spray on the tire, rotating it as you go to cover the entire tire. Pressure wash off, again, rotating the tire to make sure you...

Spray on the tire, rotating it as you go to cover the entire tire. Pressure wash off, again, rotating the tire to make sure you get all of it. I usually rotate the tire forward when pressure washing, then spray again and spray in the opposite direction and rotate the tires backwards while washing, that way I get both sides of the knobbies. Leaves that new tire black color, not that crazy shiny black like Armor All etc. I use that stuff on almost everything except polished or anodized stuff.
Awesome, thanks!
jsmx97
7/29/2013 1:59pm
JW381 wrote:
I have good luck with straight simple green. I pressure wash them as clean as possible first, then totally cover them in simple green and let them sit for a minute or two. Then when I spray it again it rinses the brown right off.

bleech white works good on the white part of boots too, but dulls anything black IMO
jsmx97
7/29/2013 2:02pm
JW381 wrote:
Added bike to the title Smile
Gebken40
7/29/2013 2:07pm
a Scotch-Brite pad is the best to use on the aluminium frame/swingarm with simple green. It gives it the factory clean look and takes off all the boot and knee brace scuffs.
JW381
7/29/2013 2:26pm
Gebken40 wrote:
a Scotch-Brite pad is the best to use on the aluminium frame/swingarm with simple green. It gives it the factory clean look and takes off all...
a Scotch-Brite pad is the best to use on the aluminium frame/swingarm with simple green. It gives it the factory clean look and takes off all the boot and knee brace scuffs.
I use a toothbrush for the hard to reach places haha
CamP
7/29/2013 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2013 4:01pm
Simple Green is acid based and will slowly dull and degrade the appearance of all metal surfaces.

Shout is the best cleaner I've come across in the 40 years I've been moto'ing. a 1 gallon jug runs about $8 at costco.
BAMX
7/29/2013 4:33pm
CamP wrote:
Simple Green is acid based and will slowly dull and degrade the appearance of all metal surfaces. Shout is the best cleaner I've come across in...
Simple Green is acid based and will slowly dull and degrade the appearance of all metal surfaces.

Shout is the best cleaner I've come across in the 40 years I've been moto'ing. a 1 gallon jug runs about $8 at costco.
I have been using Shout on my new RM and it is better than Simple Green. The cylinder and cases look way better than bikes that I had been washing with SG. Also, I used those steel wool pads with the soap in them for aluminum frames when I had my CRF. That worked great. I have been using WalMart no name Lubricant to spray the chain and whole bike down after cleaning.
ga_pike
7/29/2013 5:17pm
We always sprayed the engine, underside of the fenders, and number plates (pretty much the entire bike) with WD-40 after a wash. We'd buy it by the gallon and put it in a spray bottle. It kept mud and such from caking on the plastic, filled in any small holes to prevent discoloration and staining (like on a pit board), and kept any bare metal parts from rusting. I've heard you can use cooking spray (like PAM) on plastics as well, but we just used WD-40.

The smell of the oil burning off the engine was always a trigger to go fast too! LOL
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
7/29/2013 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2013 5:49pm
Mr. erasers work great on white plastics, boots, and helmets.
7/29/2013 6:31pm
Spooner wrote:
Oxy clean works great on any stain. Works great on boots too.
Correct & Simple Green on bikes & everything else.
The key is get it clean ASAP. If its a muddier my wife pressure washes most of the dirt off my gear at the track.
And leaves it wet till its washed .My bikes are washed as soon as I come off the track
B4 the mud or dirt dries .
You will find no cleaner bikes at the track then mine.
I have anti Dirt disease they gotta be spotless
I carry 2 full drums of H2o to every race.

rolandk
7/29/2013 7:28pm
I put my helmet in the washing machine sink when I wash the white clothes (the whites are usually not very dirty). When the washer empties into the sink the helmet gets a good soaking with suds and a little bleach, then I rinse it with water and let it air dry.
bullpen658
7/29/2013 7:31pm
Cool thread.

WD-40 and a green scratchy pad thingie makes pipes, aluminum frames, etc. look great.

A light coat of WD-40 on the cases and cylinder make it look shinier too but don't put too much or it will catch on fire and burn your whole neighborhood down.

Usually, I just use dish soap to wash my bike, boots, and chest protector.

I hand wash my helmet liner and goggles using cold water and laundry detergent.

I'm a big fan of not having to buy lots of stuff so if I can use the same shit to wash dishes and my bike, cool with me.

Oh yeah, and Never-Dull will make most aluminum and metal surfaces shiny like a mirror. It takes surprisingly little elbow grease to get a kickstarted to look like chrome.

Put a butt-plug in the silencer to keep the packing dry.

Keep a butt-plug in your ass to keep from losing compression in your lower end. Wink
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
7/29/2013 7:36pm
Mr. erasers work great on white plastics, boots, and helmets.
I second that. It gets white fenders WHITE!
ld626
7/29/2013 7:40pm
I use Oil Soap Murphy with a little baking soda, about 8oz per gallon of water and 1 tbsp of baking soda, good degreaser. Truck wash powder is good too and the cheapest way. Regrease every 6 months.
7/30/2013 12:12am
bullpen658 wrote:
Cool thread. WD-40 and a green scratchy pad thingie makes pipes, aluminum frames, etc. look great. A light coat of WD-40 on the cases and cylinder...
Cool thread.

WD-40 and a green scratchy pad thingie makes pipes, aluminum frames, etc. look great.

A light coat of WD-40 on the cases and cylinder make it look shinier too but don't put too much or it will catch on fire and burn your whole neighborhood down.

Usually, I just use dish soap to wash my bike, boots, and chest protector.

I hand wash my helmet liner and goggles using cold water and laundry detergent.

I'm a big fan of not having to buy lots of stuff so if I can use the same shit to wash dishes and my bike, cool with me.

Oh yeah, and Never-Dull will make most aluminum and metal surfaces shiny like a mirror. It takes surprisingly little elbow grease to get a kickstarted to look like chrome.

Put a butt-plug in the silencer to keep the packing dry.

Keep a butt-plug in your ass to keep from losing compression in your lower end. Wink
I use Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo for the helmet liner and goggles, just in case you start sweating and didn't get all the suds out.

And a another +1 for Shout and Wesleys Bleach-Wite.
robkinuk
7/30/2013 12:33am
Borrow a road cone from some nearby roadworks etc. use this as a stand and invert your riding boots onto top of cone, spray a little cleaner on then jet wash to your heart's content and still have dry boots!

(Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for anyone getting caught obtaining a road cone, just don't aquire it from active roadworks!Wink ...........)
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
7/30/2013 5:36am
robkinuk wrote:
Borrow a road cone from some nearby roadworks etc. use this as a stand and invert your riding boots onto top of cone, spray a little...
Borrow a road cone from some nearby roadworks etc. use this as a stand and invert your riding boots onto top of cone, spray a little cleaner on then jet wash to your heart's content and still have dry boots!

(Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for anyone getting caught obtaining a road cone, just don't aquire it from active roadworks!Wink ...........)
Great idea.
Thanks,Rob.
bullpen658
7/30/2013 5:51am
robkinuk wrote:
Borrow a road cone from some nearby roadworks etc. use this as a stand and invert your riding boots onto top of cone, spray a little...

FastEddy wrote:
Great idea.
Thanks,Rob.
AWESOME idea!!!

(headed out to liberate a road cone right now).
newmann
7/30/2013 6:11am
I made a boot cleaning stand out of 2 inch PVC pipe. Four uprights to slip the boots over. No pics, and I don't have Yosmithy's graphic artists abilities so you'll have to use your imagination. Works great.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
7/30/2013 8:50am
I always sprays armor-all on the underside of fenders. Seems better then using something petroleum based. The armor will built a layer of wax that keeps dirt from sticking.

Unfortunately for boot rub spots on plastic and frame, a little lacquer thinner seems to work the best for me. It probably is just rubbing off a layer of plastic, but all new shiny underneath. I do this when I want it looking new, not all the time.
Hut
7/30/2013 9:08am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 9:09am
I've always used "Lemon Pledge" furniture polish on everything except the seat and grips. Makes it look new and easier to wash next time. Smells better than WD40 too Cool
Tracktor
7/30/2013 10:12am
"Totally Awesome" from the Dollar Store........................
BigMX
7/30/2013 10:21am
If you want to get black marks off your graphics and plastic as well as dirt that is literally ground into the plastic, used a white rag with carb/choke cleaner. You will be surprised at how much black stuff comes off that you really couldn't tell was on there until it was clean. You do this on a dry bike, after washing.

Post a reply to: Bike/Gear washing tricks

The Latest