Gate fees on race day. ?

SrfNdirt
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 2:44pm
Is it normal for tracks to charge full gate fee on a race day ? I want to get into some racing but was surprised when I found out that the race i want to enter this weekend, the track charges full gate fees on race day.. is this the usual deal?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
4/25/2018 6:52am
Was that way when I started back in the early 2000's and it's still that way today. Don't totally agree with it but what can you do. Some places also charge fees for camping/overnight parking.
kb228
4/25/2018 6:55am
Yea pay $15-20 to get in and then another $30 for a class
SrfNdirt
4/25/2018 7:21am
More like $30 to get in and $45 a class non-member. No wonder why there are so many professional practice riders.

The Shop

DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
4/25/2018 7:30am
We have a track hear in pa (hurricane hills) that charges an entry fee on practice days. It’s $6 for kids & $12 adults.

So to take my twins & my wife it’s $24 to use a portable potty

$12 for myself plus practice fee. The kicker is the rider gets his $12 back when they leave but all others forfeit the entry fee
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/25/2018 7:34am
Was it REM by chance?

Usually race day gate fee is $10 per person. If you were at Glen Helen for REM, my buddy was charged the full $30 for practice even though he was there to race REM a few months back. Another buddy was racing that same day and was only charged $10.
Bry145
4/26/2018 6:07pm
Does golf charge $20 to play and $10 to walk into the pro shop? No? Surprising....

It's price-gouging plain and simple.

No wonder less are showing up at the races. One can hit a practice day for the same cost as driving through the gate at a race.

Motocross racing used to pass the cost/benefit analysis. Many are voting with their wallets and riding for fun instead. Just imagine local racing in 2030 when the Boomers are all gone.

Bruce372
4/26/2018 6:21pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Was it REM by chance? Usually race day gate fee is $10 per person. If you were at Glen Helen for REM, my buddy was charged...
Was it REM by chance?

Usually race day gate fee is $10 per person. If you were at Glen Helen for REM, my buddy was charged the full $30 for practice even though he was there to race REM a few months back. Another buddy was racing that same day and was only charged $10.
They also charge per bike. So if you bring a spare bike, it costs you double to get in.
Bry145
4/26/2018 6:26pm
No one is getting rich?

How much revenue has been generated at LL over the years, including money from area and regional qualifiers?

How many running race tracks have pocketed cash from fees and not reported that revenue for tax purposes?

I don't buy the "no one getting rich" argument.

JustMX
4/26/2018 6:43pm
Bry145 wrote:
No one is getting rich? How much revenue has been generated at LL over the years, including money from area and regional qualifiers? How many running...
No one is getting rich?

How much revenue has been generated at LL over the years, including money from area and regional qualifiers?

How many running race tracks have pocketed cash from fees and not reported that revenue for tax purposes?

Then by all means get in on the best kept secret in moto and open a track. You will have enough to buy a private island in a few years.
Bry145
4/26/2018 6:53pm
Bry145 wrote:
No one is getting rich? How much revenue has been generated at LL over the years, including money from area and regional qualifiers? How many running...
No one is getting rich?

JustMX wrote:
Then by all means get in on the best kept secret in moto and open a track. You will have enough to buy a private island...
Then by all means get in on the best kept secret in moto and open a track. You will have enough to buy a private island in a few years.
Why invest in a dying and mismanaged sport? With the generational turnover that is coming, there won't be much local moto in the near future.

Charging $100 for a day of racing and running 30+ classes (with 8 minute motos) only pounded nails in the coffin.

Disagree if you like, but local moto is in trouble.

smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
4/26/2018 7:05pm
I never understood paying to get in. then paying to race. spectators I get. any of my kids sports over the years. they didn't pay to get in then pay to play as well. basketball gymnastics whatever. double bike fee? lol. that's a joke. unless there is some kind of youth movement boom. local racing is looking gloomy in 10 plus years. I could see hs gnncc or gp type racing gaining ground fast. run a mix of mx with woods gp style. long race . load up and roll home sooner with more track time.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
4/26/2018 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2018 7:27pm
having said that I must add. 550 plus entries at a LL qualifier around here. so that's good.
Panic_Rev
4/26/2018 7:46pm
Bry145 wrote:
Does golf charge $20 to play and $10 to walk into the pro shop? No? Surprising.... It's price-gouging plain and simple. No wonder less are showing...
Does golf charge $20 to play and $10 to walk into the pro shop? No? Surprising....

It's price-gouging plain and simple.

No wonder less are showing up at the races. One can hit a practice day for the same cost as driving through the gate at a race.

Motocross racing used to pass the cost/benefit analysis. Many are voting with their wallets and riding for fun instead. Just imagine local racing in 2030 when the Boomers are all gone.

No but they do require collard shirts, no blue jeans, no cargo shorts. Doesn’t matter if you have a clothing sponsor or not.
4/26/2018 7:48pm
The goal of gate fee's is to pay for the insurance. Last time I checked a one day mx event was $1,200.00

For our events we charge $5 per day gate fee for bike races, or $10 pit pass for drag races or $5 spectator side, and we are the least expensive in our area for those.

I'm already zoned to add a motocross track on the property, but the insurance, dirt work, and especially watering system needed in the high desert haven't given me enough confidence to actually build the mx track, I don't think I can break even.
Lightning78
4/26/2018 8:03pm
SrfNdirt wrote:
Is it normal for tracks to charge full gate fee on a race day ? I want to get into some racing but was surprised when...
Is it normal for tracks to charge full gate fee on a race day ? I want to get into some racing but was surprised when I found out that the race i want to enter this weekend, the track charges full gate fees on race day.. is this the usual deal?
Yes and ive always felt this was complete bullshit!!! The overly expensive race fee riders have to pay to race should have the gate fee included in their entry fee cost...... before anyone chastizes me, YES i know the promoters are not the same people as the track owners but theyre paying the track owners to “lease/use” their track for the day to conduct the races so yes there is a reason behind what im sure a lot will this is preposterous to say gate fees should be included into a racers entry fee.

To me its price gouging and im sure track owners and promoters wonder why there has been a sharp decline in people showing up to race. Id be willing to bet anything that promoters and track owners would see an increase in riders showing up to RACE and not just ride practice days for fun and its attributed to increased race fees and now all the tracks in California are charging $30 for a gate fee to either ride practice days or come into the teack on race days, couple the two costs together and there ya go.... a good reason to point to that IF maybe the “gate fee” was eliminated for guys signing up and paying to race that might help get more people to the track to actually race on weekends, not avoid tracks conducting races on particular weekends....

Happened to us 2 weeks ago at hangtown and i dont know who the promoter was but the turnout was PATHETIC!!! Of course i left it up to my buddy to check the track calendar since it was a game time decision call at 6:30am he wanted to ride and i asked him “Are they racing? He said no way were good” .... hes so stubborn he really doesnt believe checking the tracks calendar is important every weekend we go ride a practice day at any track. The small prarie city track is gawd awful and worse than Carnegie’s track.... was sooo excited to ride Hangtown national track and was sooo bummed to see they were racing that day.
Lightning78
4/26/2018 8:05pm
Every track ive shown up to race at in Norcal or Socal theyve charged the normal track practice fee on race day for the gate fee .... oh hi mark .... tracks shouldnt charge the full gate fee on race day to racers, prove me wrong Grinning
captmoto
4/26/2018 8:32pm
I have paid $10 a a head to camp at LACR, Pala and Cahuilla. That's $20 a night for me and my wife at places that have ZERO facilities for camping and lock the gates way early. What the hell are we paying for?
cwtoyota
4/26/2018 9:00pm
Often times the tracks and the promoters are separate entities up here in the NW.
So, the track gets the gate fee and the promoter gets whatever they get for entries in their races.

When the track is the promoter, they get the whole pie. Still, I don't think anyone is just killing it on their races up here.

I've heard one local track I ride charges a spectator fee on practice days...
So if you bring "little Johnny" out there to get a few laps on his PW on a summer evening, you have to pay a spectator fee if your kid wants to ride. Seems like a great way to get kids interested in baseball or football instead of moto.
SrfNdirt
4/26/2018 9:33pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Was it REM by chance? Usually race day gate fee is $10 per person. If you were at Glen Helen for REM, my buddy was charged...
Was it REM by chance?

Yep REM. Being a Glen Helen sanctioned race and charging full gate fee is a total price gouge. Your buddy that was charged $10, does he work for MXA by chance?Unsure
omalley
4/26/2018 10:25pm
Like Jody has said from time to time, you get to pay to race and pay a fee to watch yourself do it...
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
4/26/2018 11:33pm
SrfNdirt wrote:
Is it normal for tracks to charge full gate fee on a race day ? I want to get into some racing but was surprised when...
Yes and ive always felt this was complete bullshit!!! The overly expensive race fee riders have to pay to race should have the gate fee included...
Yes and ive always felt this was complete bullshit!!! The overly expensive race fee riders have to pay to race should have the gate fee included in their entry fee cost...... before anyone chastizes me, YES i know the promoters are not the same people as the track owners but theyre paying the track owners to “lease/use” their track for the day to conduct the races so yes there is a reason behind what im sure a lot will this is preposterous to say gate fees should be included into a racers entry fee.

To me its price gouging and im sure track owners and promoters wonder why there has been a sharp decline in people showing up to race. Id be willing to bet anything that promoters and track owners would see an increase in riders showing up to RACE and not just ride practice days for fun and its attributed to increased race fees and now all the tracks in California are charging $30 for a gate fee to either ride practice days or come into the teack on race days, couple the two costs together and there ya go.... a good reason to point to that IF maybe the “gate fee” was eliminated for guys signing up and paying to race that might help get more people to the track to actually race on weekends, not avoid tracks conducting races on particular weekends....

Happened to us 2 weeks ago at hangtown and i dont know who the promoter was but the turnout was PATHETIC!!! Of course i left it up to my buddy to check the track calendar since it was a game time decision call at 6:30am he wanted to ride and i asked him “Are they racing? He said no way were good” .... hes so stubborn he really doesnt believe checking the tracks calendar is important every weekend we go ride a practice day at any track. The small prarie city track is gawd awful and worse than Carnegie’s track.... was sooo excited to ride Hangtown national track and was sooo bummed to see they were racing that day.
Most promoters do not pay the track a rental fee unless it's a major event. The track keeps the gate fee instead of a rental fee from the promoter, and they may have a minimum number that the promoter would have to guarantee (100 spectators at $10). Promoter would then pay race insurance/flaggers/medics, the venue covers track/prep/water/general liability insurance/trash/portopottys/etc. The promoter keeps all race entry fees.

From a venue/track perspective practice days are easier and more cost beneficial and a promoter isn't splitting the potential income.
DAG
4/27/2018 3:42am
Indy mxer
4/27/2018 5:28am
We've promoted races here in Southern Indiana for over 20 years. Trust me, not many local track owners are getting rich putting on races. Yes, they make good money doing a LL qual or regional, but that's once a year. And not every year.

Our insurance is $300 for Saturday practice and $1300 for Sunday racing. By the time we pay insurance, trophies, ambulance, workers and flaggers, fuel, and equipment maintenance, we have over $3000 invested before we drop the gate. And that's hoping you don't have a breakdown.

On top of all that just the initial investment and work involved to get a track up and running is a lot.

MX racing is not a cheap sport, but compared to other forms of racing it's not a bad deal.

Btw, LL's is an exception to all this. They make a ton of cash!

Bottom line, without reasonable gate fee's a track can't make a decent profit. I know, I pay the bills.
Johnny Depp
4/27/2018 5:42am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2018 5:43am
Tracks need to make money to stay open.

When track owners accept a flat fee like $1500 -$2000 instead of the usual $25 gate for property riding access, many times they are making less than a practice day. Changing or cutting the $25 to $10 on race days can have the same effect. When tracks can make $2-$4k on practice days, with less overhead of the race day electronic scoring, trophies, staff, insurance, flaggers, EMT's and marketing etc., it's easy to see why tracks these days take the easy way. More money and less headache and risk.

This is why local racing is dying, and being replaced by practice days and occasional big events. The answer is elusive, and probably lies in tracks being more inclusive, with something for all types of riders, MX, XC, HS, Slow riders, Vets, SXS and ATV's and holding events on Sat. and Sun. for more income potential.
4/27/2018 6:00am
Bry145 wrote:
Why invest in a dying and mismanaged sport? With the generational turnover that is coming, there won't be much local moto in the near future. Charging...
Why invest in a dying and mismanaged sport? With the generational turnover that is coming, there won't be much local moto in the near future.

Charging $100 for a day of racing and running 30+ classes (with 8 minute motos) only pounded nails in the coffin.

My first race had 45 riders in the class (125 beginner). The gate was so full many had to take second row.

Bikes were plentiful and cheaper then. People came to races in pickups and creeper style vans.
kNewc
4/27/2018 6:05am
Indy mxer wrote:
We've promoted races here in Southern Indiana for over 20 years. Trust me, not many local track owners are getting rich putting on races. Yes, they...
We've promoted races here in Southern Indiana for over 20 years. Trust me, not many local track owners are getting rich putting on races. Yes, they make good money doing a LL qual or regional, but that's once a year. And not every year.

Our insurance is $300 for Saturday practice and $1300 for Sunday racing. By the time we pay insurance, trophies, ambulance, workers and flaggers, fuel, and equipment maintenance, we have over $3000 invested before we drop the gate. And that's hoping you don't have a breakdown.

On top of all that just the initial investment and work involved to get a track up and running is a lot.

MX racing is not a cheap sport, but compared to other forms of racing it's not a bad deal.

Bottom line, without reasonable gate fee's a track can't make a decent profit. I know, I pay the bills.
I live in Northern Indiana, what track are you at?
Indy mxer
4/27/2018 6:38am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2018 6:41am
Indy mxer wrote:
We've promoted races here in Southern Indiana for over 20 years. Trust me, not many local track owners are getting rich putting on races. Yes, they...

kNewc wrote:
I live in Northern Indiana, what track are you at?
We run Linton MX and do some fair races. We used to operate Bakersfield MX back in the day.

I also know Tim at Lincoln Trail Motorsports very well. He does a great job and it shows by the great turnouts he gets. Tim does well but he ain't getting rich.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/27/2018 7:12am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Was it REM by chance?

SrfNdirt wrote:
Yep REM. Being a Glen Helen sanctioned race and charging full gate fee is a total price gouge. Your buddy that was charged $10, does he...
Yep REM. Being a Glen Helen sanctioned race and charging full gate fee is a total price gouge. Your buddy that was charged $10, does he work for MXA by chance?Unsure
I figured that's where it was. Only place I've heard of having this issue.

Haha, no my other buddy doesn't work in the Industry at all. I think it depends on who is at the gate. But there is no way in hell I'd pay $30 to get in the gate and then go pay to race also. I'd turn around and tell them I'm headed to Comp Edge.
Hammer 663s
4/27/2018 7:49am
Bry145 wrote:
Why invest in a dying and mismanaged sport? With the generational turnover that is coming, there won't be much local moto in the near future. Charging...

I'll disagree. At PIR Thursday Night Motocross last night there were over 320 rider entries. 16 on the gate in 65 beginner, and over 20 for 50cc classes. Heck, there were 22 on my 40+ gate. Last week there were 350+ riders. $8 gate fee, $22 a class, pretty short practices and motos but a great facility and well managed.

Local moto is not dead in the PNW. Maybe it's because 6 months of the year all we can do is dream of moto due to weather.

Hammer 663s

Post a reply to: Gate fees on race day. ?

The Latest