GasGas KTM bikes?

Edited Date/Time 2/6/2020 10:28am
Has anyone stumbled upon any spy pics or any clues to what the new red KTMs are going to look like?
|
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
12/6/2019 11:06am
I'll be curious if they will be as different as KTM and Husky are. While many people like to say a Husky is a white KTM. It's just not true. Different frame geometry, composite subframe, seat height and material, handlebar height and rake. All of this and more makes for a totally different feeling bike.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
12/6/2019 11:06am
Has anyone stumbled upon any spy pics or any clues to what the new red KTMs are going to look like?
I’m gonna go with red frames and mostly white plastic.
12/6/2019 11:15am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
I'll be curious if they will be as different as KTM and Husky are. While many people like to say a Husky is a white KTM...
I'll be curious if they will be as different as KTM and Husky are. While many people like to say a Husky is a white KTM. It's just not true. Different frame geometry, composite subframe, seat height and material, handlebar height and rake. All of this and more makes for a totally different feeling bike.
None of that is true. Only the subframe material and swingarm structure is different. Everything else is the same.
mmcmx
12/6/2019 11:17am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2019 11:18am
Don't expect anything "different" until at least 2021. KTM's with red plastic for '20. At least for EMX 125.

Latest Pierer mobility presentation calls for start of production in the Girona facility in 2020.

The Shop

Johnny Ringo
12/6/2019 11:21am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
I'll be curious if they will be as different as KTM and Husky are. While many people like to say a Husky is a white KTM...
None of that is true. Only the subframe material and swingarm structure is different. Everything else is the same.
No man! The bars are different! Totally different bike
xrmark
12/6/2019 12:56pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Who told you that? Lol
Dropbear
12/6/2019 1:11pm
As different as these bikes were I’d say.

mmcmx
12/6/2019 1:15pm
I have both ktm and husky(not same model though) and at least brakes and clutch are different. Feel different too.
BAMX
12/6/2019 8:14pm
It isn't a moto bike but this may be a in the ballpark.

Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
12/6/2019 9:10pm
Put KYB suspension on it and it will sell like absolute crazy.

Either that or make it a lower cost version of the KTM, cable clutch, stainless pipe, lower quality wheels, smaller brake disks and last years model WP suspension. Make it $1500 cheaper than the KTM and you will also sell like mad
Talisker
12/6/2019 11:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2019 11:25pm
KTM will have one more card (one more vote) on the Moto GP circuit(not Mx GP). Honda use to bully, gang up on, and use it power to call all the shots. KTM (and any other opposing mfg) was always royally screwd. Funny how in 30 short years the tables have turned.
Honda is no longer the shot-caller!!! Pffffffff. Funny to think back to the 80s and 90s.....I use to bleed red...no longer....
Note: Edited, Moto GP (not MX GP)
For those who keep up and know, Honda has pulled some “Chicken Shit” with rule changes over the years.
12/6/2019 11:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2019 11:48pm
Talisker wrote:
KTM will have one more card (one more vote) on the Moto GP circuit(not Mx GP). Honda use to bully, gang up on, and use it...
KTM will have one more card (one more vote) on the Moto GP circuit(not Mx GP). Honda use to bully, gang up on, and use it power to call all the shots. KTM (and any other opposing mfg) was always royally screwd. Funny how in 30 short years the tables have turned.
Honda is no longer the shot-caller!!! Pffffffff. Funny to think back to the 80s and 90s.....I use to bleed red...no longer....
For those who keep up and know, Honda has pulled some “Chicken Shit” with rule changes over the years.
Not sure how KTM will have an additional card on the GP circuit if, say, Coldenhoff goes from a KTM to a Gas Gas. That seems like an equal number of cards, re-dealt.

That said, if they field an additional team, they probably deserve the additional clout they will be afforded.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
12/8/2019 7:29am
Zacka 161 wrote:
Put KYB suspension on it and it will sell like absolute crazy. Either that or make it a lower cost version of the KTM, cable clutch...

Either that or make it a lower cost version of the KTM, cable clutch, stainless pipe, lower quality wheels, smaller brake disks and last years model WP suspension. Make it $1500 cheaper than the KTM and you will also sell like mad
this idea is dumb on many levels, KTM hasn't had a cable clutch since like 97 i think. no way they are machining new cases for a cable clutch dude, no one wants brakes that don't work as good, or cheaper wheels. Last years suspension won't make it any cheaper.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
12/8/2019 7:58am
Zacka 161 wrote:
Put KYB suspension on it and it will sell like absolute crazy. Either that or make it a lower cost version of the KTM, cable clutch...

soggy wrote:
this idea is dumb on many levels, KTM hasn't had a cable clutch since like 97 i think. no way they are machining new cases for...
this idea is dumb on many levels, KTM hasn't had a cable clutch since like 97 i think. no way they are machining new cases for a cable clutch dude, no one wants brakes that don't work as good, or cheaper wheels. Last years suspension won't make it any cheaper.
I’ll buy a GasGas with KYB......

Otherwise I’ll stick with Japanese bikes.
xrmark
12/8/2019 8:02am
soggy wrote:
this idea is dumb on many levels, KTM hasn't had a cable clutch since like 97 i think. no way they are machining new cases for...
I’ll take one with a cable clutch and last years wp or KYB. Last years suspension would make it far cheaper. Do you not remember how stock bikes used to come??? Lol this idea is not dumb it’s actually pretty smart and what people want. Dude.
BobPA
12/8/2019 9:32am
soggy wrote:
xrmark wrote:
I’ll take one with a cable clutch and last years wp or KYB. Last years suspension would make it far cheaper. Do you not remember how...
I’ll take one with a cable clutch and last years wp or KYB. Last years suspension would make it far cheaper. Do you not remember how stock bikes used to come??? Lol this idea is not dumb it’s actually pretty smart and what people want. Dude.
Ever heard of anecdotal evidence? That is what you are basing your opinion on. Just because 3 people think it's great online, does not mean it would be great in the real word.

"Last year's suspension settings" would not change a thing. The AER forks have gone through minor revisions the last few years...Nothing that would knock of hundreds of $$.

Smaller brake rotors might knock off what..$3 for raw material cost. Then KTM would have to retool for a different brake caliper mount, costing more money.

Cheaper wheels might help...a few dollars per unit. But certainly not the $1500 you are dreaming of. The subpar parts you guys want to include on these bikes are not free mind you. Not sure where you think that will warrant a 15%-20% decrease inn retail cost.
Bruce372
12/8/2019 9:45am
If anyone wants a cheap bike, just get a 2020 RMz450. It's got the 2008 engine, kickstart, and cable clutch
canuck250f
Fantasy
562nd
12/8/2019 9:55am
There is very little Concrete information out there even from reps, inside employees at “KTM”. Keeping cards tight to chest.

I did have a conversation with someone working with the factory and heard that the vision for Gas Gas is to have a “basic” model of the Austrian brand to compete along with the Japanese price point.

The goal is the price them up to 15% less than the premium levels bike with a ranking as following:
1. Husqvarna (premium level)
2. KTM (ready to race)
3. Gas Gas (price point).

No KYB of course only WP across the board. PDS on the Gas Gas enduros not sure about subframe but likely aluminium (best guess would be the least expensive of two).

Does this mean the spread between Husqvarna and KTM increases (more premium parts increasing price) to accomplish this price spread I am not sure.

I think this can be accomplished with items such as exhaust, wheels, brakes, chains, steel sprockets etc etc. This may be fine as many customer upgrade some of these parts on there existing bikes anyways. .

2020 MXGP teams will be on the bikes so timeframe is quick. In US it will happen for the 2021 season with a possibility of a few rider or satellite team showcasing for the outdoors season. Possible we will see on dealer floors in spring.

To be clear this is only based on a conversation with someone that I trust but even they were not 100% certain on the final direction.

Personally I am very excited to find out how it all plays out and another brand to choose is always a good thing.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
12/8/2019 2:01pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Quite wrong. I have a husky fe501s and tx300 and the ktm 500exc and ktm 300xc. You can even sit them side by side and see the rake angle of the forks Alone is different. And go to Motorsport and look at pro taper evo bars(what husky/ktm use) and you will find a stock husky bend or a stock ktm bend. I also proved that by setting both ktm and husky bars side by side on the bench.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
12/8/2019 2:13pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
No man! The bars are different! Totally different bike
Must be why there is only one brand and bend of handlebar available because it wouldnt feel any different anyway.
Braaaphole
12/8/2019 2:40pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Quite wrong. I have a husky fe501s and tx300 and the ktm 500exc and ktm 300xc. You can even sit them side by side and see...
Quite wrong. I have a husky fe501s and tx300 and the ktm 500exc and ktm 300xc. You can even sit them side by side and see the rake angle of the forks Alone is different. And go to Motorsport and look at pro taper evo bars(what husky/ktm use) and you will find a stock husky bend or a stock ktm bend. I also proved that by setting both ktm and husky bars side by side on the bench.
KTM/Husky uses Neken bars, that's well known.
Bruce372
12/8/2019 2:53pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Quite wrong. I have a husky fe501s and tx300 and the ktm 500exc and ktm 300xc. You can even sit them side by side and see...
Braaaphole wrote:
Nope. Lol. Husky uses pro taper
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
12/8/2019 3:59pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Braaaphole wrote:
El oh el
johnnymf0
12/8/2019 4:19pm
canuck250f wrote:
There is very little Concrete information out there even from reps, inside employees at “KTM”. Keeping cards tight to chest. I did have a conversation with...
There is very little Concrete information out there even from reps, inside employees at “KTM”. Keeping cards tight to chest.

I did have a conversation with someone working with the factory and heard that the vision for Gas Gas is to have a “basic” model of the Austrian brand to compete along with the Japanese price point.

The goal is the price them up to 15% less than the premium levels bike with a ranking as following:
1. Husqvarna (premium level)
2. KTM (ready to race)
3. Gas Gas (price point).

No KYB of course only WP across the board. PDS on the Gas Gas enduros not sure about subframe but likely aluminium (best guess would be the least expensive of two).

Does this mean the spread between Husqvarna and KTM increases (more premium parts increasing price) to accomplish this price spread I am not sure.

I think this can be accomplished with items such as exhaust, wheels, brakes, chains, steel sprockets etc etc. This may be fine as many customer upgrade some of these parts on there existing bikes anyways. .

2020 MXGP teams will be on the bikes so timeframe is quick. In US it will happen for the 2021 season with a possibility of a few rider or satellite team showcasing for the outdoors season. Possible we will see on dealer floors in spring.

To be clear this is only based on a conversation with someone that I trust but even they were not 100% certain on the final direction.

Personally I am very excited to find out how it all plays out and another brand to choose is always a good thing.
I was thinking Tedder Racing/ Gas Gas team in 2021.
MXMattii
12/8/2019 4:36pm
Zacka 161 wrote:

Indeed something like: Dacia - Renault and Skoda - Volkswagen - Audi - Lamborgini. All brands from the same manufacturers but competing in different price ranges.
ajv#26
12/8/2019 5:23pm
"Tim Mathys (Standing Construct KTM): At the moment that is still difficult to say. The bike is based on the KTM platform but for sure it will keep the GasGas identity and will be different from the KTM, in fact more or less the same principle as now between the Husqvarna and the KTM... What concerns suspension we stick to WP so also with that we know we can continue with the best."
ledger
12/8/2019 6:23pm
Hopefully they'll offer the 200cc two stroke.
mxmaniac
12/8/2019 10:32pm
ML512 wrote:
I’m gonna go with red frames and mostly white plastic.
I hope they go with the current blend of red and white GAS GAS
Robgvx
12/8/2019 10:37pm
Talisker wrote:
KTM will have one more card (one more vote) on the Moto GP circuit(not Mx GP). Honda use to bully, gang up on, and use it...
There’s only one person with a vote in GPs...
12/9/2019 1:06am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Only thing different geometry wise is the swing arm, triangle and linkage arm. Swap them and the bikes are the same.

Post a reply to: GasGas KTM bikes?

The Latest