Gas Tank Foam ?

Edited Date/Time 11/1/2014 6:28am
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACERBIS-Reticulated-Gas-Tank-Foam-CR-KX-RM-SX-X…
Has anyone ever used this does it work thanks Danny
|
BobPA
10/29/2014 6:26pm
Pointless in an mx tank.
SwapperMX
10/29/2014 6:37pm
Flash in the pan gimmick, along with all the others we have seen over the years.
BobPA
10/29/2014 6:39pm
Is it good for any gas tank.
If you're trying to stop sloshing...most purpose built race tanks are baffled though...

The Shop

Joko
Fantasy
233rd
10/29/2014 6:51pm
What would you have to lose by trying it?
Cheap, light ....
10/29/2014 6:53pm
Joko wrote:
Cheap, light ....
Yeah I guess but I dont see any great results happening but I guess if it doesnt work I could use it in a mud racing
10/29/2014 6:57pm
Joko wrote:
Cheap, light ....
Unless the foam eventually deteriorated and coated your entire tank, carb, and all the fuel lines with gunk.
10/29/2014 6:59pm
Joko wrote:
Cheap, light ....
TripleFive wrote:
Unless the foam eventually deteriorated and coated your entire tank, carb, and all the fuel lines with gunk.
oh Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm it could happen but it might not happen but it couldTongue
Cadpro18
10/29/2014 7:17pm
Is it good for any gas tank.
Yes, it''s good in a fuel cell where the potential for fire or explosion exists. The purpose for which it was developed for the USAF.
Katoomey
10/29/2014 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 8:10pm
Joko wrote:
Cheap, light ....
motorcycle fuel pumps (among others) have a small chamber that acts as an "air-bubble buffer" (like the capacitor in an electrical system), if you will, from the fuel tank itself. The frequency of the sloshing is just not slow enough to cause that small chamber to go dry. therefor, not need for foam, no matter how cheap and light it is- its useless.

...and gravity fed, float-type carburetors don't give a shit what's going on inside the fuel tank. they are only concerned with what's going on inside the float bowl - which, not coincidentally, usually have "baffles" around the main/pilot pickup. ..and again, the sloshing in the fuel tank is at such a high frequency, the float bowl will never be starved for fuel.

...ironically though, if you put foam inside of your float bowl (because you are an idiot), it might take up just enough volume for the carburetor to starve for fuel. hahahah!
10/29/2014 8:14pm
Joko wrote:
Cheap, light ....
Katoomey wrote:
motorcycle fuel pumps (among others) have a small chamber that acts as an "air-bubble buffer" (like the capacitor in an electrical system), if you will, from...
motorcycle fuel pumps (among others) have a small chamber that acts as an "air-bubble buffer" (like the capacitor in an electrical system), if you will, from the fuel tank itself. The frequency of the sloshing is just not slow enough to cause that small chamber to go dry. therefor, not need for foam, no matter how cheap and light it is- its useless.

...and gravity fed, float-type carburetors don't give a shit what's going on inside the fuel tank. they are only concerned with what's going on inside the float bowl - which, not coincidentally, usually have "baffles" around the main/pilot pickup. ..and again, the sloshing in the fuel tank is at such a high frequency, the float bowl will never be starved for fuel.

...ironically though, if you put foam inside of your float bowl (because you are an idiot), it might take up just enough volume for the carburetor to starve for fuel. hahahah!
Ha thanks I never knew they made it so there was aways going to be fuel there even when the bike was sideways or the fuel was sloshing thanks for the great info
10/29/2014 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 9:10pm
MOTOCROSS ACTION tested this several years ago with mixed reviews. Probably it would do better for larger tanks for desert or distance races where you use more gas than for a moto.
pilotx253
10/30/2014 4:46am
It can break down over time and plug up your fuel filter or carb. I removed it from a used bike and it just crumbled. It was "motorcycle specific" to be used in a gas tank, unfortunately I don't recall the brand. You will never see me running gas tank foam in my bike!
moto0852
10/30/2014 8:32am
pilotx253 wrote:
It can break down over time and plug up your fuel filter or carb. I removed it from a used bike and it just crumbled. It...
It can break down over time and plug up your fuel filter or carb. I removed it from a used bike and it just crumbled. It was "motorcycle specific" to be used in a gas tank, unfortunately I don't recall the brand. You will never see me running gas tank foam in my bike!
Yup. It works and does what it's intended to do but the retriculated foam still breaks down. I had it in a tank for two years before it went bad. Not worth the hassle IMHO
norcal3737
10/30/2014 9:50am
I had foam a few years back.

It broke down, and little foam particulates were all over inside my gas tank and clogged my fuel pump.
whyZ
10/30/2014 10:17am
Reticulated foam comes in two different base compounds, ether and ester, and impossible to distinguish by sight. Break down will always occur in the ester base product, not the ether base.
dak446
10/30/2014 11:36am
Joko wrote:
Cheap, light ....
TripleFive wrote:
oh Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm it could happen but it might not happen but it couldTongue

FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
10/30/2014 11:43am
Katoomey wrote:
motorcycle fuel pumps (among others) have a small chamber that acts as an "air-bubble buffer" (like the capacitor in an electrical system), if you will, from...

The purpose of tank foam is not to prevent cavitation in the fuel supply to the engine. It is to prevent sloshing that can negatively impact the handling of the bike. Having that much weight up high on the bike, especially liquid weight that shifts around, is not good for handling. In tests, some guys said they noticed no difference or didn't care and other guys said it was a huge difference in handling.
Suns_PSD
10/31/2014 4:29pm
I bought a bunch of that stuff from one of these online car places. I ran it in my super motard it made a huge difference. Added to my dirt bikes too, but couldn't tell any difference. I left it on my old bike for at least 6 years and it did not deteriorate at all.
markit
11/1/2014 12:45am
If its not OEM i would not trust it.
MtnBoy
11/1/2014 6:28am
We used to run it in our 2.5+ gallon tanks. Helped with handling for sure, 15+ pounds sloshing around less was a big difference.

As far as it falling apart or dissolving and causing issues, I don't know, we changed it out about every 2-3 months.

It's definitely not just a gimmick.

Post a reply to: Gas Tank Foam ?

The Latest