Gas Gas or Husky 300

Dixon893
12/30/2020 4:59am
Ride the CB Sherco 300 if you get a chance. I rode the 250 a couple weeks ago those bikes have come along way since 17.
McG194
12/30/2020 5:27am
For me the Husky subframe is a deal killer. Three friends with broken subframes and have seen videos of woods crash that looked minor and destroyed the subframe.

Take the cost difference and buy some red wheels for the GasGas is what I would have done.
Jeff_Brines
12/30/2020 6:11am
To those saying the subframe on the Husky is junk, I think the concern is a bit overblown. Yes, you can break them. However, I'm pretty dumb and often write checks my skills can't cash. Others in my group are the same. Out of the 4 Huskys we had zero broken subframes.

I agree the Sherco stuff is great but I won't go back to a carb'd setup ever again. I'm a huge fan of fuel injection for a myriad of reasons. I know, KYB is rad, but I really do feel with a tiny bit of tweaking the latest AER stuff is stellar.

agn5009
12/30/2020 6:16am
To those saying the subframe on the Husky is junk, I think the concern is a bit overblown. Yes, you can break them. However, I'm pretty...
To those saying the subframe on the Husky is junk, I think the concern is a bit overblown. Yes, you can break them. However, I'm pretty dumb and often write checks my skills can't cash. Others in my group are the same. Out of the 4 Huskys we had zero broken subframes.

I agree the Sherco stuff is great but I won't go back to a carb'd setup ever again. I'm a huge fan of fuel injection for a myriad of reasons. I know, KYB is rad, but I really do feel with a tiny bit of tweaking the latest AER stuff is stellar.

I’ve broken mine twice in the last 3+ years of really rough riding. It’s only a couple hundred bucks to fix them. I’d rather do that than twist a steel frame.

You guys got me really considering a Gas Gas now. They sure are pretty bikes. I actually don’t like the looks of the husky’s at all. My plan was to order new plastics and graphics right away.

The Shop

Jeff_Brines
12/30/2020 6:28am
agn5009 wrote:
I’ve broken mine twice in the last 3+ years of really rough riding. It’s only a couple hundred bucks to fix them. I’d rather do that...
I’ve broken mine twice in the last 3+ years of really rough riding. It’s only a couple hundred bucks to fix them. I’d rather do that than twist a steel frame.

You guys got me really considering a Gas Gas now. They sure are pretty bikes. I actually don’t like the looks of the husky’s at all. My plan was to order new plastics and graphics right away.
Honestly if you like the looks go for it. IMO, that's really the difference between all three. 99% of the bike is the same. In my mind, its funny a brand would put out three "brands" of the same bikes, all with the same frame, motor, suspension, transmission, mapping, valving, etc.

Pick what color you like. Rock on.
agn5009
12/30/2020 8:05am
agn5009 wrote:
I’ve broken mine twice in the last 3+ years of really rough riding. It’s only a couple hundred bucks to fix them. I’d rather do that...

Honestly if you like the looks go for it. IMO, that's really the difference between all three. 99% of the bike is the same. In my...
Honestly if you like the looks go for it. IMO, that's really the difference between all three. 99% of the bike is the same. In my mind, its funny a brand would put out three "brands" of the same bikes, all with the same frame, motor, suspension, transmission, mapping, valving, etc.

Pick what color you like. Rock on.
It is a strange thing to do but then again car manufacturers do it. I think I’ll go check it out. It seems the only real BIG difference between the EX and TX is the subframe, correct? All other major components such as tranny and suspension are the same? I don’t care much about the handlebars, triple clamps and wheels. All that stuff is easily changed if I really want.
Jeff_Brines
12/30/2020 10:12am
agn5009 wrote:
It is a strange thing to do but then again car manufacturers do it. I think I’ll go check it out. It seems the only real...
It is a strange thing to do but then again car manufacturers do it. I think I’ll go check it out. It seems the only real BIG difference between the EX and TX is the subframe, correct? All other major components such as tranny and suspension are the same? I don’t care much about the handlebars, triple clamps and wheels. All that stuff is easily changed if I really want.
Correct. I wouldn't call it a big difference either. To the point if the plastics were the same, you'd never tell a difference.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
12/30/2020 10:38am
To those saying the subframe on the Husky is junk, I think the concern is a bit overblown. Yes, you can break them. However, I'm pretty...

agn5009 wrote:

The husky subframe is $500. The aluminum ktm is $200 and if it gets bent you might not even notice. You can definitely ride it that way and you might be able to straighten it out for free. To me for the composite subframe to make sense it needs to be lighter or stronger than aluminum but it looks like it is neither.
Spooner
12/30/2020 11:17am
liver wrote:
For me, magura has the control like a sram guide brake system, while brembo has the feel of a shamano XT system. For that reason alone...
For me, magura has the control like a sram guide brake system, while brembo has the feel of a shamano XT system. For that reason alone, I can’t see myself on a husky anytime soon.
I have the Husky and I think it's more the pads that it comes with then the components. I swapped to DP pads and absolutely love the brakes. And I have XT's on my tazer haha!
agn5009
12/30/2020 1:55pm

agn5009 wrote:

wrc777 wrote:
The husky subframe is $500. The aluminum ktm is $200 and if it gets bent you might not even notice. You can definitely ride it that...
The husky subframe is $500. The aluminum ktm is $200 and if it gets bent you might not even notice. You can definitely ride it that way and you might be able to straighten it out for free. To me for the composite subframe to make sense it needs to be lighter or stronger than aluminum but it looks like it is neither.
I had to replace both sides this summer and spent something like $200-250 total on Rocky Mountain for my 2017 Husky. It does suck having to replace them but it’s the only downside of the bike. Well, that and the forks.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
12/30/2020 2:34pm
agn5009 wrote:

wrc777 wrote:
The husky subframe is $500. The aluminum ktm is $200 and if it gets bent you might not even notice. You can definitely ride it that...
agn5009 wrote:
I had to replace both sides this summer and spent something like $200-250 total on Rocky Mountain for my 2017 Husky. It does suck having to...
I had to replace both sides this summer and spent something like $200-250 total on Rocky Mountain for my 2017 Husky. It does suck having to replace them but it’s the only downside of the bike. Well, that and the forks.
At some point since 2017 they have redesigned it to a two piece design and it is about $200 per side. When I checked a few months ago they only sold both sides together.
BikePilot
1/2/2021 2:44am
wrc777 wrote:
At some point since 2017 they have redesigned it to a two piece design and it is about $200 per side. When I checked a few...
At some point since 2017 they have redesigned it to a two piece design and it is about $200 per side. When I checked a few months ago they only sold both sides together.
FYI the redesign was 2019 for the TX and 2020 for the TE. I have a 19 TX and love it. About 60hrs on it and not a single issue. Several others in my group and all have been good to.go. I watched one endo down a rock pile about 15' high. Subframe was fine.
racerxx276
1/2/2021 5:31pm
gas gas 300 has their own gas tank which IS narrower then the ktm, noticeable while riding...

Post a reply to: Gas Gas or Husky 300

The Latest