Gas Gas 450 or FC 450 RE

Related:
Create New Tag

12/14/2020 10:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2020 10:34 PM

Hello Gents,

Help me decide which bike to get. In my opinion they both look amazing and are a wash in that regard. Cost is not a factor. I'm a 175lb 6'0" 28 year old B rider (weekend warior from MN) coming from a 2017 CRF 450R. I can't wait for reviews to inform my decision as they will not be out for the husqvarna until late January (according to Kris Keefer) and my dealer will most definitely sell out of both models by then. Any input from you fellas would be greatly appreciated. My son will get a matching ee5 in the spring so that could influence my decision as well but as far as I can tell both brands offer identical electric bikes. If the title wasn't clear I'm looking at either a Gas Gas MC450 or a Husqvarna FC 450 Rockstar Edition. The FC doesn't really interest me and neither do any other brands other than Honda, but they're completely sold out till 2022 as far as I know.

|

12/14/2020 11:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2020 11:19 PM

Also in the past 8 years I've owned all Honda's

|

12/14/2020 11:25 PM

Tpog496 wrote:

Also in the past 8 years I've owned all Honda's

Then get the red one 🤷🏻‍♂️

|

12/15/2020 12:38 AM

Get the Gas Gas. It's cheaper and in my opinion none of the extras you get with the KTM or Husky are worth it. The only thing i was skeptical about was the direct mounted bar mounts and the possible vibrations it would cause but according to the first impressions, that isn't an issue. The cast clamps seemed to reduce the vibrations compared to the CNC aluminium clamps with rubber bar mounts on the KTM and Husky.

And the Gas Gas is the best looking bike of them all in my opinion.

|

12/15/2020 5:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 5:14 AM

After watching the Keefer review I would get the GasGas. More punch and better comfort from the AER fork and $900 cheaper? What is not to like? The tires? It's not like everyone loves MX33 fronts anyway.

Triple clamps are forged like the Japanese bikes not cast. You don't want to be riding around on cast triple clamps.

|

12/15/2020 7:45 AM

You're kind of at "The 2 ends of the spectrum" on the Austrian bikes.

The Rockstar is an excellent value when you take into consideration all the add'l parts/upgrades on it.

The GasGas, too, is a solid value when it comes to "Bang for the Buck". ALl the basics of what the Rockstar Edition "is" mechanically are there without any of the Frills. Also, you could turn it into your own version of a GasGas/TLD/Red Bull Replica with rhe $2,000 you're saving versus the Husky.

One clear advantage to the Husky: it's already "done". All the cool bits and pieces are already on it & for 2021 it has an entirely diferent look including most all of the plastic being different than the FC.

Whatever you get...have a blast and go enjoy riding with your son on his "silent moto-scoot".

ps-line that EE5 up -NOW- while you can grin

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/15/2020 8:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 8:30 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

You're kind of at "The 2 ends of the spectrum" on the Austrian bikes.

The Rockstar is an excellent value when you take into consideration all the add'l parts/upgrades on it.

The GasGas, too, is a solid value when it comes to "Bang for the Buck". ALl the basics of what the Rockstar Edition "is" mechanically are there without any of the Frills. Also, you could turn it into your own version of a GasGas/TLD/Red Bull Replica with rhe $2,000 you're saving versus the Husky.

One clear advantage to the Husky: it's already "done". All the cool bits and pieces are already on it & for 2021 it has an entirely diferent look including most all of the plastic being different than the FC.

Whatever you get...have a blast and go enjoy riding with your son on his "silent moto-scoot".

ps-line that EE5 up -NOW- while you can grin

It's just new color on the plastic right? Next years Rockstar edition is going to have new bodywork right? And do you expect the ee5 to sell out right away? Also do you have any experience with the new connectivity unit on the Husqvarna?

|

12/15/2020 8:22 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Get the Gas Gas. It's cheaper and in my opinion none of the extras you get with the KTM or Husky are worth it. The only thing i was skeptical about was the direct mounted bar mounts and the possible vibrations it would cause but according to the first impressions, that isn't an issue. The cast clamps seemed to reduce the vibrations compared to the CNC aluminium clamps with rubber bar mounts on the KTM and Husky.

And the Gas Gas is the best looking bike of them all in my opinion.

Map switch is worth it. But for $170 you can buy and install.

|

12/15/2020 8:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 8:37 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Get the Gas Gas. It's cheaper and in my opinion none of the extras you get with the KTM or Husky are worth it. The only thing i was skeptical about was the direct mounted bar mounts and the possible vibrations it would cause but according to the first impressions, that isn't an issue. The cast clamps seemed to reduce the vibrations compared to the CNC aluminium clamps with rubber bar mounts on the KTM and Husky.

And the Gas Gas is the best looking bike of them all in my opinion.

skeef wrote:

Map switch is worth it. But for $170 you can buy and install.

Now that you said it, i think i agree. That is the one thing the Gas Gas doesn't have that i would want. I have used the mellower map on my 350 a few times in really slick conditions and it works.

|

12/15/2020 8:34 AM

Are the rims on the Gas Gas of cheaper quality?

|

12/15/2020 8:45 AM

Moto520 wrote:

Are the rims on the Gas Gas of cheaper quality?

I'm guessing so. They're made by Excell just not branded. Where as the RE has D.I.D. Dirtstar rims with blue anodised hubs.

|

12/15/2020 10:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 10:32 AM

Friend of mine just went from a 19 FC to a 21 MC.

I'll send him this thread and see if he wants to give you some first impressions.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

12/15/2020 10:46 AM

Get the Gas Gas!!!!

|

12/15/2020 11:02 AM

Still doesn't look like we have a single Gas Gas dealer in New Mexico yet. Hope they start signing new dealers up.

|

12/15/2020 12:48 PM

Tpog496 wrote:

Hello Gents,

Help me decide which bike to get. In my opinion they both look amazing and are a wash in that regard. Cost is not a factor. I'm a 175lb 6'0" 28 year old B rider (weekend warior from MN) coming from a 2017 CRF 450R. I can't wait for reviews to inform my decision as they will not be out for the husqvarna until late January (according to Kris Keefer) and my dealer will most definitely sell out of both models by then. Any input from you fellas would be greatly appreciated. My son will get a matching ee5 in the spring so that could influence my decision as well but as far as I can tell both brands offer identical electric bikes. If the title wasn't clear I'm looking at either a Gas Gas MC450 or a Husqvarna FC 450 Rockstar Edition. The FC doesn't really interest me and neither do any other brands other than Honda, but they're completely sold out till 2022 as far as I know.

I currently have 2021 Gas Gas 450 and 2019 FC 450.

6'1" 215 lb vet A-ish rider.

You cant go wrong with either but I like the feel and comfort of the Gas Gas better for a taller rider. The ergonomics are more comfortable. I run a pro taper SX race bar on both bikes.

The engine is stronger on Gas Gas but with all of the 21 ignition updates I'm sure they are similar. I run vortex on both and it is not very noticeable on the 21 compared to 19.

The 21 Gas Gas suspension is shockingly good. This suspension soaks up more than my CV forks on my FC. I need to go up to 48 n/mm spring in rear then re-test but initial ride is very positive. I also want to try the traditional mid valve shim stack in my CV forks to compare to the cone system.

|

12/15/2020 1:17 PM

ktmfinn63 wrote:

I currently have 2021 Gas Gas 450 and 2019 FC 450.

6'1" 215 lb vet A-ish rider.

You cant go wrong with either but I like the feel and comfort of the Gas Gas better for a taller rider. The ergonomics are more comfortable. I run a pro taper SX race bar on both bikes.

The engine is stronger on Gas Gas but with all of the 21 ignition updates I'm sure they are similar. I run vortex on both and it is not very noticeable on the 21 compared to 19.

The 21 Gas Gas suspension is shockingly good. This suspension soaks up more than my CV forks on my FC. I need to go up to 48 n/mm spring in rear then re-test but initial ride is very positive. I also want to try the traditional mid valve shim stack in my CV forks to compare to the cone system.

“ The 21 Gas Gas suspension is shockingly good. This suspension soaks up more than my CV forks on my FC.”

Then you need to have your cone valves properly set up.

|

12/15/2020 1:52 PM

Well I pulled the trigger on the FC I know I've heard great things about the MC's suspension settings. Supposedly the FC Rockstar Edition has setting quite different than the vanilla FC so I'm hoping they work well for me and if not a set of Cone Valves might be in my near future.

|

12/15/2020 7:49 PM

Awesome! The FC RE would be my pick as well. Awesome bike!

|

12/15/2020 7:55 PM

Congrats on the rock star bike. Mine was only a few bucks more than the regular fc, and a lot less than a lot of people are paying for the new honda.... the Rockstar bike comes with some really nice upgrades.

I will say, rhe bright red does look bitchen on the gas gas tho.

As for the 2020.5 and newer air forks, the updated mid valve is much better and easier to tune.

|

12/16/2020 12:23 PM

luckyguy19 wrote:

Still doesn't look like we have a single Gas Gas dealer in New Mexico yet. Hope they start signing new dealers up.

requiring dealers to order a min number of trials bikes to get setup probably has something to do with it

|

12/16/2020 12:26 PM

luckyguy19 wrote:

Still doesn't look like we have a single Gas Gas dealer in New Mexico yet. Hope they start signing new dealers up.

MDana87 wrote:

requiring dealers to order a min number of trials bikes to get setup probably has something to do with it

Yea I was surprised to see how many trials bikes my dealer had but if it's a requirement that makes sense. I'd love to get into trials riding but just don't have the time.

|

12/16/2020 12:50 PM

Tpog496 wrote:

Hello Gents,

Help me decide which bike to get. In my opinion they both look amazing and are a wash in that regard. Cost is not a factor. I'm a 175lb 6'0" 28 year old B rider (weekend warior from MN) coming from a 2017 CRF 450R. I can't wait for reviews to inform my decision as they will not be out for the husqvarna until late January (according to Kris Keefer) and my dealer will most definitely sell out of both models by then. Any input from you fellas would be greatly appreciated. My son will get a matching ee5 in the spring so that could influence my decision as well but as far as I can tell both brands offer identical electric bikes. If the title wasn't clear I'm looking at either a Gas Gas MC450 or a Husqvarna FC 450 Rockstar Edition. The FC doesn't really interest me and neither do any other brands other than Honda, but they're completely sold out till 2022 as far as I know.

ktmfinn63 wrote:

I currently have 2021 Gas Gas 450 and 2019 FC 450.

6'1" 215 lb vet A-ish rider.

You cant go wrong with either but I like the feel and comfort of the Gas Gas better for a taller rider. The ergonomics are more comfortable. I run a pro taper SX race bar on both bikes.

The engine is stronger on Gas Gas but with all of the 21 ignition updates I'm sure they are similar. I run vortex on both and it is not very noticeable on the 21 compared to 19.

The 21 Gas Gas suspension is shockingly good. This suspension soaks up more than my CV forks on my FC. I need to go up to 48 n/mm spring in rear then re-test but initial ride is very positive. I also want to try the traditional mid valve shim stack in my CV forks to compare to the cone system.

i run 50nm on my 200lbs (without gear) on the 2020 chassis. That is 40/105mm with 6-7mm preload.

With your 215, you need 50 or 51 even.

|

12/16/2020 12:57 PM

aees wrote:

i run 50nm on my 200lbs (without gear) on the 2020 chassis. That is 40/105mm with 6-7mm preload.

With your 215, you need 50 or 51 even.

What weight range is the stock spring good for?

|

12/16/2020 1:21 PM

ktmfinn63 wrote:

I currently have 2021 Gas Gas 450 and 2019 FC 450.

6'1" 215 lb vet A-ish rider.

You cant go wrong with either but I like the feel and comfort of the Gas Gas better for a taller rider. The ergonomics are more comfortable. I run a pro taper SX race bar on both bikes.

The engine is stronger on Gas Gas but with all of the 21 ignition updates I'm sure they are similar. I run vortex on both and it is not very noticeable on the 21 compared to 19.

The 21 Gas Gas suspension is shockingly good. This suspension soaks up more than my CV forks on my FC. I need to go up to 48 n/mm spring in rear then re-test but initial ride is very positive. I also want to try the traditional mid valve shim stack in my CV forks to compare to the cone system.

aees wrote:

i run 50nm on my 200lbs (without gear) on the 2020 chassis. That is 40/105mm with 6-7mm preload.

With your 215, you need 50 or 51 even.

Tpog496 wrote:

What weight range is the stock spring good for?

180,185lbs max. If you are 5 "10" or above you move a lot of weight back also so more sensitive.

|

12/16/2020 2:32 PM

My honest opinion after owning a FC450 Rockstar and racing it for a season and now owning a new GasGas 450 is that you can't go wrong with either of them but I kinda of agree with Ping and Keefer that the GasGas feels better to me than my Huskys. The motor is amazing stock. I haven't touched it and it runs better than any of my previous KTM or Husky 450s which all needed remapping to run like the GasGas does bone stock. Its absolutely barks and is a VERY impressive motor. The suspension is the best stock KTM suspension yet. It is very VET friendly. Only a fast pro will need to make any changes to it. I love the overall look of the GasGas over the Husky or the KTM and I love the red frame.

|

12/16/2020 2:37 PM

Digger29 wrote:

My honest opinion after owning a FC450 Rockstar and racing it for a season and now owning a new GasGas 450 is that you can't go wrong with either of them but I kinda of agree with Ping and Keefer that the GasGas feels better to me than my Huskys. The motor is amazing stock. I haven't touched it and it runs better than any of my previous KTM or Husky 450s which all needed remapping to run like the GasGas does bone stock. Its absolutely barks and is a VERY impressive motor. The suspension is the best stock KTM suspension yet. It is very VET friendly. Only a fast pro will need to make any changes to it. I love the overall look of the GasGas over the Husky or the KTM and I love the red frame.

I'm supposed to pick up the husqy Saturday but I might be waffling now considering the overwhelming gas gas suggestions. I was excited about the app to manage mapping on the husqvarna.

|

12/16/2020 3:09 PM

Digger29 wrote:

My honest opinion after owning a FC450 Rockstar and racing it for a season and now owning a new GasGas 450 is that you can't go wrong with either of them but I kinda of agree with Ping and Keefer that the GasGas feels better to me than my Huskys. The motor is amazing stock. I haven't touched it and it runs better than any of my previous KTM or Husky 450s which all needed remapping to run like the GasGas does bone stock. Its absolutely barks and is a VERY impressive motor. The suspension is the best stock KTM suspension yet. It is very VET friendly. Only a fast pro will need to make any changes to it. I love the overall look of the GasGas over the Husky or the KTM and I love the red frame.

Tpog496 wrote:

I'm supposed to pick up the husqy Saturday but I might be waffling now considering the overwhelming gas gas suggestions. I was excited about the app to manage mapping on the husqvarna.

I thought that was going to be an option on all the ktms?

|

12/16/2020 3:31 PM

Just checking in on this....

If the Hooska is an Rstar Edition? Well, that’s a helluva scooter & I’d stick with it.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/16/2020 3:49 PM

langhammx wrote:

“ The 21 Gas Gas suspension is shockingly good. This suspension soaks up more than my CV forks on my FC.”

Then you need to have your cone valves properly set up.

I would agree with the proper setup, but that kind of applies to any WP suspension, Cone Valve or Xact versions.

But I can tell you first hand that the 2021 Xact fork on the Gas Gas and KTM have had a significant breakthrough in how well they work in chop as compared with 2020 and earlier versions, BUT you have to take the OEM tuning spec and throw it right in the trash. I got to try the 21 GG 450 today at Cahuilla for a couple laps, and the bike is pretty good in stock trim.

Ive been trying different settings on the stock 2021 KTM Air Fork fork since august, and Kris Keefer's fork settings are doing pretty good for me, higher air pressure and less compression damping gets rid of a lot of the harshness in braking and acceleration chop.

|

12/16/2020 5:46 PM

I love the FC, but IMO the GasGas is the best looking bike for 2021.

|